Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Default Re: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Must have had an incredible second half than because he was pretty awful from what I've seen in the first half.
    I disagree. William, Coutinho, Gabriel jesus, and neymar, this fantastic quartet entertained me greatly over the match.

Portugal disappointed me deeply.Uruguay won three games in a row,scored five goals,has conceded none (5-0), and it's just not only Suarez and Cavani, two of the best strikers in world football.
    But, who knows? the unpredictable nature of football is exciting.
    For me they have the best central back duo in this world cup. Plus Coates on the bench ( if they dont play with 3 CBs system). And yeah Portugal is a disappointment, considering i feel they have better quality players right now, then they had in 2016 for instance.
    Still the football played isn't much different then the one played in the euro, even if they are performing worse then back then. ( with better players...) i feel they might play better with Uruguay then they did with Iran though, more space and depth to explore imo. And this knock out rounds are a different animal then Group stages.

It'd be nice to see Uruguay winning it tbh.
    Now i could be vindictive, and wish Italy all the best in the World cup....opps

I joke

Poland: Bet you won't advance from the group.

Japan: Eh, walk in the park...
    Got to say Poland was a disappointment.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 29, 2018 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Incidentally, you just can't resist.
    The nickname of the best world player (before Messi and Ronaldo) is Kaká.His younger brother could not pronounce his name Ricardo.So he began calling him Kaká, and the name stuck for the rest of his life. And, also incidentally, the kid's word name for human faeces is caca or cáca, not Kaká.
    I know. Not every language uses accents and they're often not printed anyway.

Kaká belongs to white ethnicity. Why can't we take him seriously?
    Why is that relevant? He's also prettier than most of the other Brazilian players. Doesn't make his name any less dumb.

On a side note, we don't have any prejudice against ethnic sounding names, for example the German name FODA Franco Foda - Wikipedia or even Sandro Foda - Wikipedia
    And pay attention, those are real names, not nicknames. foda : English » Portuguese | PONS

Thinking about it, look how German last names can be quite hilarious when you look at them literally.
    For example, German football Schweinsteiger's last name could literally translate to pig-climber, but more likely it means pig-overseer, like on a farm. In Manchester his regrettable nickname was Schweini (piggy).
    The surname of the former national team captain Phillip Lahm means lame, feeble or slow.
    The surname of the German composer (see below) Carl Bratfisch means "Fried-Fish". Is it ridiculous? how can that be?
    That's some next level butthurt, bro. Also really missing the point.
    If someone has a funny surname, which is not surprising with German because that culture has an incredible diversity of names, it's not their fault. The actual point is that most people outside of Brazil actually use their real names (or normal-sounding pseudonyms) in public, or printed on their jerseys, not some dumb nickname from kindergarden, or even a fan nickname, or a first name. When William Jefferson Blythe ran for public office, he didn't do so as "Slick Willy". Nor does Schweinsteiger's jersey (to return to the topic of football) say "Schweini". Because it'd be dumb and childish. Some of the Brazilian players have cool-sounding real names, why don't they use them?

It's German, it's white, it's glorious!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The guy with the most German surname on the German team. Seriously, what's with your "whiteness" fetish?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Now i could be vindictive, and wish Italy all the best in the World cup....opps

I joke
    Italy II (AKA Argentina) is still in the tournament, though. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Yellow cards have been invented by the white man for the systematic oppression of black people. Proof: FIFA have always been mostly white men.
    Seriously though, it really sucks for Senegal to not make it because of a technicality like this.

I love Kakà btw. Easily one of my favourite players of all times. His decline is because of injuries, nothing else.

Italy II (AKA Argentina) is still in the tournament, though. Unfortunately.
    lol somehow they are still in the tournament. And despite the bad situation i wouldn't be surprised if they won against France. Football being what it is, after all.

I love Kakà btw. Easily one of my favourite players of all times. His decline is because of injuries, nothing else.
    True. He had a great Run at A.C. Milan. Probably in the last great A.C. Milan i seen. Sadly. Also i hear they have been banned from UEFA competitions or something?

Because it'd be dumb and childish. Some of the Brazilian players have cool-sounding real names, why don't they use them?
    Personally i think it is awesome and one more thing that usually makes Brazilian teams memorable.

Besides its football... why the hell not use nicknames ( sometimes these people are actually knowned in their personal lifes by their nicknames by family and friends etc. Also i dont see how it is childish exactly. Its just a Brazilian cultural trait. Everyone has Nicknames. Also in Portuguese a name of a person usually has 4 to 3 ( in my case 5) names. So in casual environment some people shorten the names or use nicknames, depending on the situation.
    So yea its a cultural thing. Although in Portugal is more common to use the first and the last names instead of the full name.

Pele = Edson Arantes do Nascimento
    HULK = Givanildo Vieira de Sousa
    Pepe = Képler Laveran de Lima Ferreira
    Deco = Anderson Luís de Souza
    Zico = Arthur Antunes Coimbra
    kaka = Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite
    Ronaldinho Gaúcho = Ronaldo de Assis Moreira
    Dunga = Carlos Caetano Bledorn Verri
    Dani Alves = Daniel Alves da Silva
    Mané Garrincha = Manuel Francisco dos Santos

I dont know i could go on and on.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 29, 2018 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Seriously though, it really sucks for Senegal to not make it because of a technicality like this.
    It beats going out on a coin flip. At least it is based on something done on the field. It sort of makes you think twice about committing a caution-able offense. Then again "good sportsmanship" is a farce when you have an endemic behavior of faking injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Got to say Poland was a disappointment.
    I was referring to the tempo of their match. It was really just walking most of the time.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Watching Uruguay and Portugal

Daughter: Who do you want to win, daddy.

Me: Uruguay. Cheering for Americans, even if they are South Americans.

Wife: Portugal is American!!!
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Frace 4 - 3 Argentina. Despite the Argies being poor for long periods, match of the tournament so far. Such a change from last WC wen teams played not to lose, this time playing to win at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird
    Wife: Portugal is American!!!
    I hope she makes great sandwiches..

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Best match i've seen so far, an awesome team vs an amazing team, Uruguay : Portugal. 2:1.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

10 goals in two games... Can we ask for more?

France and Uruguay have been playing better than Portugal and Argentina, so a fair result. We now have a very entertaining QF for sure!

Blog Entries

Uruguay look strong, solid defence (maybe the best in the tournament) hard working midfield and world class strikers who are both playing really well.

It'll be interesting to see Torreia 5.6' against Pogba 6.3' ...

So Argentina and Portugal are out - didn't exactly expect that. France seems like they could win the WC this time around. I kinda wanna bet on them now. They weren't too terrible in 2014, either.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

The expected result happened in both matches today, but both winners also had some troubles. Amazing match from Cavani, and the defense showed why it's the best in the Cup so far. I had never heard of Uruguay's left back Laxalt before the Cup, but he was one of the best in the pitch today. And people say Uruguay doesn't have talented young players...

Sad for Argentina. They really lost their morale after France tied the game. And Mbappé seems to be on his way to be the best young player in this Cup, since Jesus is being absolute crap playing for Brazil. Of course, the Argentinian defense is abysmal, and that gave him freedom to show all his talent, with knuckleheads like Otamendi and Tagliafico only stopping the French attacks with fouls.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

I enjoyed both games. Μaybe Uruguay 's winner a bit more. Cavani is a outstandingly good scorer.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    The expected result happened in both matches today, but both winners also had some troubles. Amazing match from Cavani, and the defense showed why it's the best in the Cup so far. I had never heard of Uruguay's left back Laxalt before the Cup, but he was one of the best in the pitch today. And people say Uruguay doesn't have talented young players...

Sad for Argentina. They really lost their morale after France tied the game. And Mbappé seems to be on his way to be the best young player in this Cup, since Jesus is being absolute crap playing for Brazil. Of course, the Argentinian defense is abysmal, and that gave him freedom to show all his talent, with knuckleheads like Otamendi and Tagliafico only stopping the French attacks with fouls.
    Why would you be sad for Argentina? They were woefully unimpressive all tournament and should've had at least two red cards today. Mercado could've had like 4 yellows, Tagliafico could've had red for that foul on Mbappé and Otamendi should've had red (again).

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Why would you be sad for Argentina?
    South American solidarity, I suppose.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Shaping up for the possibility of a classic UK vs Brazil Final. Not seeing many predictions here - is that another thread? Football's only really a sports focus for me at WC time, how do you rate UK's chances? Also, I thought France looked deadly last night, I think they're starting to gel as a team and are coming together well - I believe they're a heavily tipped favourite, yes?

If Cavani's injury is nothing serious, then Uruguay is going to kick out France.

Main reason, unlike Argentina, they are solid behind. Also more organized when attacking. Mbappé is terrific and will likely be the star of the decade at this rate, but France is very distracted when defending and when playing against Suarez and Cavani that will cost you.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; July 01, 2018 at 12:50 AM.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

Todays tips? I think Croatia will narrowly beat Denmark today. With Spain and Russia I havnt got a clue. Russia has the potential to beat Spain but if they perform like they did in their last game Spain will clobber them.

Gesendet von meinem GS55-6 mit Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Can't see Russia getting past Spain today. The crowd should give them an energy boost and that might make it interesting, but Spain should be too strong for them.

Croatia should roll over Denmark without too much trouble. Denmark have scored two goals so far, not enough fire power. Croatia have been classy and are a dark horse for the final....