Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

That kind of example says nothing about anything, really. Portugal is the current European champion and lost to Uruguay, who fell in the group stage of the last Copa America. Chile is in horrible shape since they won Copa America in 2016, and, as you know, didn't even qualify for the Cup. What does that mean? Nothing. Can't take any objective conclusion from it. It's a long stretch to conclude what you did, and I say that without even considering it was a friendly with no purpose (both of them out of the Cup) and Chile was with 10 players since the 30th minute.

Now, South America's actual top teams are on the same level as Europe's top teams. France almost lost to the worst Argentina in decades. England needed a fake penalty to beat Colombia on penalties. Belgium recognized Brazil's superiority so much that they made their game all about defending and counter-attacking instead of playing possession as they had been doing. And had a bit of luck as well. Yes, they all won, but those victories do not show that they are better "by a wide margin". Just analyse the games and see.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 07, 2018 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    Not exactly dominating, but winning it, yes. Since 2006, not that long. But that doesn't deny what I wrote.
    Dominating it winning it same thing.... and no its not since 2006, even before that. Argentina and Brazil are the only ones that were capable of intruding over the years. ( Uruguay won it way back in the 30s if i recall) And even still The rest is cups won by Italy, and Germany for the most part. England has one too in 66, and More recently France and Spain won it too. And if im not mistaken France wil win it this year as well.
    I mean Both Germany and Italy are one cup away to getting Five cups each... Same as Brasil.

Although against all odds England is making an amazing Campaign in this World cup. Wouldn't be surprised if they go trough as well. I see this England team with some similarities to that of Euro 2016 Portugal actually.

Not brilliant, but hard working, and cohesive.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 07, 2018 at 05:02 PM.

By the way, I've read that this is the first time since 1930 that neither Brazil nor Germany are present in the semifinals.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Although against all odds England is making an amazing Campaign in this World cup. Wouldn't be surprised if they go trough as well. I see this England team with some similarities to that of Euro 2016 Portugal actually.

Not brilliant, but hard working, and cohesive.
    I'd agree with that. We're hard to break down and a serious threat from set pieces. We're not scoring enough from open play, we're creating chances, eg Sterling today was in twice and fluffed them both..

The England attack has stalled, relying too much on set pieces. Kane has been great, but he's dropping deep for most of the last two games. Sterling runs a lot and works hard but hasn't been a goal threat. Delle Ali has been poor, he scored today but he hasn't done enough for me. Lingard works defenses but he's another who's lost his confidence in front of goal. They'll all start against Croatia but they need to do a lot more, apart from Kane who needs to be the one getting the passes rather than supplying them...
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 07, 2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Dominating it winning it same thing.... and no its not since 2006, even before that. Argentina and Brazil are the only ones that were capable of intruding over the years. ( Uruguay won it way back in the 30s if i recall) And even still The rest is cups won by Italy, and Germany for the most part. England has one too in 66, and More recently France and Spain won it too. And if im not mistaken France wil win it this year as well.
    I mean Both Germany and Italy are one cup away to getting Five cups each... Same as Brasil.
    No. In 2006 the number of Cups for each continent was evened. Nine for South America, nine for Europe. Go check it. Uruguay won it in 1930 and 1950, and Brazil and Argentina after that. The nine Cups these three countries won were the same number all of the Europeans combined in 2006. So to say that Europe "dominated" before that while saying that dominating is the same as winning is contradictory. But I consider the word "domination" to mean something else.

In the end, eight countries won the Cup. Five European, three South American. Not that big of a difference in number, and if we consider that eight of the twelve Cups won by Europeans (I'm already considering this year) were won by two countries, Italy and Germany, it doesn't seem a great disparity at all. Add to that the fact that Europe has substantially more teams in the World Cup since always.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 07, 2018 at 05:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Between 1930 and 1950 Europe was a bit busy..

Ah, come on. Don't play that card. So busy Italy won it twice in that period? Such a silly excuse.

We down here have been always busy, mate. All of our history.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    By the way, I've read that this is the first time since 1930 that neither Brazil nor Germany are present in the semifinals.
    It's true.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 07, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

In the end, eight countries won the Cup. Five European, three South American. Not that big of a difference in number, and if we consider that eight of the twelve Cups won by Europeans (I'm already considering this year) were won by two countries, Italy and Germany, it doesn't seem a great disparity at all. Add to that the fact that Europe has substantially more teams in the World Cup since always.
    I supposed I jump in this pissing contest.

Europe and South America both have a long tradition of football. Europe has a much more substantial advantage of wealth and infrastructure. While these are not the only factors, they are significant factors explaining Why Europe and South America "dominate." It doesn't take too much effort to look at Asia, Africa, Oceania, Caribbean, Central America and North America and dissect why these areas have a long way to go before seriously contending. This also explains why FIFA is going out of its way to promote the sport. The World Cup isn't just about the best countries competing, but the promotion of the sport. Certain countries will always be highly competitive. Most of these are going to be in Europe. Money is a huge factor and it can greatly affect, player skills, coaching, and development. Ironically, South America does exceptionally well given their numbers and lack of wealth. Some time ago, I did an analysis and found the same relative numbers as you find in Europe when comparing the success and failures at the WC.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Nor the Argies
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

Ah, come on. Don't play that card. So busy Italy won it twice in that period? Such a silly excuse.

We down here have been always busy, mate. All of our history.
    30: Four European countries enter, 9 from the Americas. Competition is held in Uruguay. Uruguay win.
    34: Held in Italy. Winners Italy. Mussolini personally appoints referees for Italy’s matches.
    38: Held in France a year before the outbreak of WW2. Italy take this one too.
    No World Cup for the next 12 years due to WW2.
    1950: Held in Brazil. England enter for first time, the only European country involved in WW2 to enter. Uruguay win.

I don’t think it silly to see the rise of fascism and the Second World War had a major impact on the World Cup.

Good thing we won 4 in total so that noone can complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    30: Four European countries enter, 9 from the Americas. Competition is held in Uruguay. Uruguay win.
    34: Held in Italy. Winners Italy. Mussolini personally appoints referees for Italy’s matches.
    38: Held in France a year before the outbreak of WW2. Italy take this one too.
    No World Cup for the next 12 years due to WW2.
    1950: Held in Brazil. England enter for first time, the only European country involved in WW2 to enter. Uruguay win.

I don’t think it silly to see the rise of fascism and the Second World War had a major impact on the World Cup.
    It had. It didn't happen from 38 to 50 because of it. And you're saying one of Italy's titles was robbed due to it. Alright, don't see how that affects my point. Also, if we're gonna start talking about robbed titles we might as well talk about 66.

Oh, and Italy also played in the 1950 Cup. And other countries with marginal involvement in World War II, like Yugoslavia.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 08, 2018 at 02:36 PM.

I wonder whether the plane carrying Croatian team home after championship will develop engine trouble mid-flight, or it will be shot down by "Ukrainian militants armed with captured russian SAM system".

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Chances of winning the WC:

1. France
    2. England
    3. Belgium
    4. Croatia

In my opinion. Belgium are enjoying a golden generation but I don't think they'll be up to beating the French. It should be a good match though. I really hope that the final is Belgium vs England and Belgium win though, just for the Brexit symbolism. Although England vs France would also be good.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I wonder whether the plane carrying Croatian team home after championship will develop engine trouble mid-flight, or it will be shot down by "Ukrainian militants armed with captured russian SAM system".
    Nah, that'll be for the French team, after they win the title. Just to complete the historical analogy...

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Chances of winning the WC:

1. France
    2. England
    3. Belgium
    4. Croatia

In my opinion. Belgium are enjoying a golden generation but I don't think they'll be up to beating the French. It should be a good match though. I really hope that the final is Belgium vs England and Belgium win though, just for the Brexit symbolism. Although England vs France would also be good.
    England
    Belgium
    France
    Croatia

Croatia looked exhausted after 2 games going overtime and has injuries, England should go through easily. Belgium vs France should be a battle and I expect the winner to be too tired fo the final, hence England.

I also think Belgium will defeat France. Both midfields and Attacks are strong, but Belgium as a better defense.

Also, my predicting stats:
    15/16 in the groups, 1/4 in the quarter finals.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; July 09, 2018 at 06:07 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Brussels taking the cup away from England would be divine.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Well,

The country that has played the most consistent throughout the tournament is Belgium. In the past, this is usually the country that wins the whole thing. France is young and full of a great deal of confidence. IMO, the winner of this game will win the World Cup.
    I like Croatia, they seem to have "the mojo." They played in close tense matches. Teams that advance this way tend to build on that to the Championship. LOL, when they lose, the excuses come out. England is an intriguing team. A less than a spectacular team, but an unusually unselfish team. On the surface, this team seems the least likely to win it all, but their "style" and "approach" makes them almost as likely to win it all as well.

Great first half.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Yes, could go either way. Both would make a deserved champion.