Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Default Re: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Croatia should roll over Russia, but who knows.

Either or, both are beatable.
    In many ways, this WC reminds me of the last Euro tournament (and yes one of the reason is the overperformance of European teams).

The other reason is that in the last Euro, top teams were all overstacked in one section of the table (Belgium,Italy, Spain, Germany, France), they kicked each other out, while Portugal had a an easy path to the final, which they won.

Under that aspect, one section of this world cup has been overstacked with top teams (Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, France, Belgium. Portugal) while England has had a relatively easier path. So yes, England has a serious chance to win the World Cup.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    The 23 not, but not only 11. It's important have good substitutes. You can't blame a defeat for a player or two, then it means that the level of that team is standard or normal, call it what you want.
    Well, name one substitute for Casemiro in the world. I can only think of Kanté and no one else. But I don't explain the defeat solely on his absence, as you can see by the several comments I've made on the subject. But there's one other relevant thing to say: not always the best team wins. As has been pointed out, England might even win the Cup this year. Would that make them the best national team in the world? Certainly not.

Russia also has one of my favourite anthems, along with Germany, Brazil and France.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    Well, name one substitute for Casemiro in the world. I can only think of Kanté and no one else. But I don't explain the defeat solely on his absence, as you can see by the several comments I've made on the subject. But there's one other relevant thing to say: not always the best team wins. As has been pointed out, England might even win the Cup this year. Would that make them the best national team in the world? Certainly not.
    I agree with you, but you seem to be making excuses to justify the elimination of South American teams. We already know that you don't like European teams, but you don't remove their merits, hehehe.

Funny how the South American teams eliminations had a lot to do with them missing key players from injuries or suspension.
    And now we have an all-European semi-finals. Boring.
    Last edited by Miguel_80; July 07, 2018 at 01:49 PM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ♔PikeStance♔ View Post
    England They are not flashy, creative or even clinical. However, they are well- organized and very cohesive, solid team. They won't "wow" you, they just play solid well-organized football. I said in the beginning that England is made up of not super flashy superstars, but complimentary players. These complimentary players are just complimenting each other and they have been getting results. In many cases, such a team does not get the results they need, but England is doing it. To employ a cliche, they know who they are and they seem content with it.
    Oh I couldn't agree more.

I believe you exaggerated Casimiro's role quite a bit. Plus you seem to confuse better team with most talented team.
    Since England keeps beating everyone in their path, I'm sure they are (at least)one of the most capable to gain points, right ?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 07, 2018 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel_80 View Post
    I agree with you, but you seem to be making excuses to justify the elimination of South American teams. We already know that you don't like European teams, but you don't remove their merits, hehehe.
    Not excuses. Explanations. I admit the European teams that beat the South Americans were better, and deserved to pass. Except England, of course.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Not excuses. Explanations. I admit the European teams that beat the South Americans were better, and deserved to pass. Except England, of course.
    More like personal remarks
    I'm not saying the English team is the most talented in the cup, but most people would agree it's one of the most effective machines and that brings results. Not dribbles or tattoos.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 07, 2018 at 02:06 PM.

I don't see it like that. They got an easy group, then barely beat Colombia in a match with very bad refereeing, and now beat Sweden, which was not really a good team. They are effective, yes, but would they be if they faced France, Brazil or even Belgium (in a real match, not that fake one in the group stage)? That's what I'm saying. There are other factors other than result to determine if a team is "good" or not. I'm not saying it's a bad team, but, for me, it would be a shame if they won the tournament presenting so little. Winning the World Cup, the greatest championship in the world, is historical. What will be the legacy of this English team? Losing on purpose to get an easier bracket, unfair play and headers?

But my distaste for some teams may be giving you all the wrong impression. I don't dislike "European" teams. I'm liking Russia and Croatia in this Cup, for example. Two underdogs that have been given little credit and now one of them will be on the semi finals. What I dislike are overrated teams which win by luck or by questionable refereeing and then are used as an example or model to the rest of the world. Those are not just European, of course. And I'm a fan of Brazil and other South Americans, so there's the usual rivalry involved, which is normal. But I don't know how things are where you live, but around here there's a discourse that has been going for some time that Brazilian and South American football should mimic and inspire itself on European football, and worse, national teams and clubs seem to be trying to do this. Add to that the usual prejudiced stereotypes, like the "cheating latinos" one, that has been disgustingly used by the English press in the match against Colombia, for example, and you can understand why I "dislike" an all-European semi final. It will only increase this sort of discourse, and push Brazilian and South American football in the wrong direction, away from its own identity. It's already happening, actually, if you see the changes that were recently made in Copa Libertadores. I think the only team that remains close to its roots is Uruguay, but watching its games is like watching an animal species near extinction. And they don't have as much talented players as Brazil or Argentina have. So, when you suggest "well, maybe Brazil was actually bad and Belgium was actually good", well, I'm not going to agree with that sentence on that terms, at least. Both teams are what they are, and a combination of factors led one to defeat the other, and it was a fair result, based on what we've seen on the pitch. But to stay on general and and imprecise remarks like the one I mentioned is suggesting implicitly other things, things that I don't agree with, for the reasons I just exposed. That's why I search for rational explanations. Searching for them is not denying merit to the European teams, is just not simply accepting their superiority as an inevitable fact. And it's not.

Edit: I'm not exaggerating Casemiro's role. Brazil's great problem in the first half was a big gap in its defensive midfield, which is where Casemiro plays and Fernandinho wasn't able to do the same, because he lacks both tactical conscience and skill. With a more offensively minded left back, Marcelo, the lack of someone who would cover his advances greatly compromised Brazil's defense, also. Casemiro would solve both problems. He was the pillar of Brazil's defensive midfield, and his presence allowed more freedom to all the other players around him to attack (which they did, but, in his absence, left huge spaces for counter attacks).
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 07, 2018 at 03:13 PM.

Croatia looks exhausted. Walk in the park for England.

The bitterness is strong is this one.
    Colombia were a dirty cheating bunch(funny thing when they stopped the silliness they where rather good) , yeah England were lucky with the penalty, but if the rules had been really followed (as in by the "book") quite a number of the Colombia team would/should of got red carded. But then we in England are quite used to the hate, it part of the course we have to live with.. One does get the feeling, even if got to the point that we where somehow down to 2 players against 11 and still won , we somehow managed to cheat/the ref was biased/the moon was the wrong colour etc etc.

That's what I'm talking about. Both teams did the same thing, but Colombia is a "dirty cheating bunch" and England are angels wronged by all the haters. Been learning well from your sports press. And I'm not talking only about "The Sun".

1 legged Subasic is the hero of the match so far.

Btw, you know who else was really good in FM08? Dzagoev. I recall winning the 2014 world cup with Russia thanks to him.

Searching for them is not denying merit to the European teams, is just not simply accepting their superiority as an inevitable fact. And it's not.
    European Teams have been dominating the World cup, and i would say world football generally speaking. Its a fact. And for a long time too.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 07, 2018 at 03:43 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The Russian's have not practiced penalties.

Meh, not worse than Zaza and Pellè....Good tournament for the Russian team, especially considering host teams are often favoured by refs and Russia wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    European Teams have been dominating the World cup, and i would say world football generally speaking. Its a fact. And for a long time too.
    Not exactly dominating, but winning it, yes. Since 2006, not that long. But that doesn't deny what I wrote.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

As somebody who knows literally nothing about football, my prediction for the final is England vs. France.

Hundred Years War Part II: World Cup Boogaloo
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

That's what I'm talking about. Both teams did the same thing, but Colombia is a "dirty cheating bunch" and England are angels wronged by all the haters. Been learning well from your sports press. And I'm not talking only about "The Sun".
    Colombia tried to cheat their way to the quarters and got beat on penalties. No point going on about the Kane penalty, it was irrelevant in the end. We've scored 11 goals, second only to Belgium (14) and conceded 4 goals, same as France and 1 less than Belgium. We've been given 4 yellow cards, one of the lowest totals in the whole tournament. As for that game against Belgium, might have slipped your gaze that Belgium made more changes to their team than we did, so they were hardly going all out to win the group either. That's some stats for you, so if you insist on making petty remarks at least you have the facts...

Croatia will be tough but we don't need to fear them.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Croatia will eat you alive if the goalie can recover.

Not exactly dominating, but winning it, yes. Since 2006, not that long. But that doesn't deny what I wrote.
    Actually it kind of does. European teams are objectively better than south American teams, by quite a large margin I might add (see Romania's, a sub-mediocre team by european standards, double trashing of Chile, the reigning Copa champions).
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!