Thread: Anthem

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Anthem

Thoughts? I don't have any, but figured it'd be a good idea to create a thread anyways =P

Default Re: Anthem

I actually like these kind of online "games as a service" so I am looking sadly forward to it to an extent. I like The Division and Destiny 2 - Destiny 2 less so for the game, but the experience of playing it with a group of guys nightly, doing raids and stuff (if I can find a group). The MMO experience. Only reason I am iffy is because it's Bioware yeah, but EA is probably going to ruin it. On top of EA forcing political undertones in their games for the past couple years, it may be released too early, or have some other ridiculous issue regarding monetization. You know with this type of game they want to leech money for years to come.

I wish they would stop with these fake player voice overs. This and The Division 2.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I recently tried the weekend demo (I was gutted to find out there was a weekend demo, I didn't know, and as a result I only had a few hours to play it instead of a few days...), and I enjoyed the few hours I spent playing it.

However, I must say that I think it's going to fail. I enjoyed exploring the demo world, and flying from place to place was an amazing feeling for me (that was the main draw of the game for me, lol). I couldn't stop doing the double jump then blast into the air routine, I absolutely loved it. The graphics looked pretty amazing to me as well, though I heard that it was downgraded from the E3 trailer.

But that's about it. I agree with what most other people have been saying. It has a serious lack of content (this is the main issue for me), the enemies are bullet sponges that don't require much imagination or tactics to defeat, and walking around in Fort Tarsis is painfully slow. The UI presentation is really bad, there's no option to completely disable the HUD, and the movement animations on the Javelins look clunky. Will definitely not be getting it anytime soon (this is coming from a guy who never ever buys games on release, I usually wait a year or two lol).

Would be interesting to hear other opinions on this.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Eh pretty much the same thoughts as you. I also tried it doing the VIP access a week before the open demo.

The controls are clunky as hell, I don't like the radar, underwater exploration is mindbogglingly hard, and the UI is absolutely terrible.
    You can tell that it was made for Console, since there are soooo many "hold button to do x" from talking to people, interacting with stuff, exiting menus, ect.

I've got Origin Access Premier so I'll be able to start playing it on the 15th (I think) but unless a few irl friends also get it, I'll probably give it a miss whilst I play other games and come back to it in a month or two.
    Its probably going to fail pretty hard, or at least have a huge drop in players after the first few months.

Played a little over a dozen hours of this game. I can say the combat (combos, class synergy, etc.), and movement seems really good, and pretty dynamic with weather effecting the rate at which your javelin overheats (or doesn't). However, the quests, you pretty much feel like you are thrown into the middle of a story, barely know what the hell is going on half the time. Most dialogue in the fort seems forced, and funny dialogue is cringey. Like the "sexy bad choices" girl, I couldn't stand it. I don't know who wrote this , but it's not funny, just stop. The quests aren't that great, even the main quests feel like daily, meant to be repeatable throwaway quests. At least Destiny 2 story wise had some decent story quests (as in the way they are structured; told to you). I don't think I would recommend this game at full price, at least not right now. Granted, I am not at endgame yet, and I suppose if you are a person who likes the grind with decent combat/movement it's not too bad.

RIP Bioware.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

So sad how EA killed Bioware. The writing began to feel more and more like they were going for cringy self-inserts and blatant, too on-the-nose analogues for real life issues that were handled in hamfisted, borderline offensive ways

I honestly couldn't even get into DAI even after liking the much-maligned DA2 reasonably well
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR