Thread: How to modify music in this mod?

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Default How to modify music in this mod?

Music is subjective. I like some of the new stuff a lot, and some stuff i dont like as much as vanilla Rome music. Just like i dont like some food, it is just my personal taste and cant really do anything about that no matter how good the chef is.

So how could i modify music in this mod? Where is old vanilla Rome music? I can find tracks from the mod but i cant find vanilla files from clean steam Rome total war.

Also, is there a way to just add more music to game without getting rid of any of the old music?
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Default Re: How to modify music in this mod?

As RS is mod-foldered editing the music is not as easy as other mods. Meaning you will need to edit the specific file for a specific faction/campaign.

Let's take Rome, for example. To edit the Roman faction's music, you need to edit descr_sounds_music.txt in your Roma Surrectum III Folder\Play_Rome\data. I've done many edits to the game tracks with no problems at all, you need some basic knowledge in text editing but most things inside the file are self-explanatory. In this case: if you scroll a bit down, you will see a description field named ROMAN MUSIC (you can search for that phrase directly). Then you have FRONTEND which is the intro track, BATTLE MAP is for battle music etc. The sub-descriptions show phases of the game music ('MUSIC_BATTLE_TENSION' etc.) So if you want a track to be played when you mobilize your troops, use MUSIC_BATTLE_MOBILIZE and so forth.

Now, the tracks themselves, I use mp3's and put them in Roma Surrectum III\Data\sounds\music folder. Then you copy the name of your new track, for instance RomanBattleMusic1.mp3, inside the descr_sounds_music.txt file back in the 'Rome' modfolder. For example:

;;; BATTLE MAP

state MUSIC_BATTLE_TENSION
    event volume -40
    folder data/sounds/music
    Its_what_we_do_that_makes_the_difference.mp3
    Deploy.mp3
    RisingLegion.mp3

These above are the default tracks (I think). When you edit the file, play those mp3s to determine which tracks ingame they are. Then determine which to delete and which not. In our example, you can do this:

;;; BATTLE MAP

state MUSIC_BATTLE_TENSION
    event volume -40
    folder data/sounds/music
    Its_what_we_do_that_makes_the_difference.mp3
    RomanBattleMusic1.mp3

Meaning you can delete any of them you don't like and add yours in the appropriate places. How exactly RTW plays the tracks (in succession, random etc.) I am not quite sure. However, as you probably noticed, the 'event volume' line can control volume for those specific tracks in-game. So for example I have a really loud track as intro so I had it event volume -70 so it can play like I want it in-game.

It's not that complex but it can be tedious if you decide to add/change many track for many nations/many campaigns. This was a pretty messy post but I think it can give you the basic picture. Feel free to ask questions if I wasn't clear enough.

NOTE: Some campaigns lack a faction-specific descr_sounds_music.txt. These factions are not many, but in-game will use the 'default' file, located in Roma Surrectum III\Data\. The changes made here will be used by every faction that doesn't have it's own music text file.
    Last edited by Octavius-Augustus; June 22, 2018 at 09:15 AM.