Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Cyberpunk 2077

I'm amazed there isn't a Cyberpunk 2077 thread already, it reeks of heresy to be honest.

Night City, California. Year 2077.

The world is broken. MegaCorps manage every aspect of life from the top floors of their sky-scraping fortresses. Down below, the streets are run by drug pushing gangs, tech hustlers, and illegal braindance slingers. The in-between is where decadence, sex and pop culture mix with violent crime, extreme poverty and the unattainable promise of the American Dream.

You are V, a cyberpunk. In a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers, today is your first step to becoming an urban legend.

So in case you've been living in a cave for the last couple of years, CD Projekt Red - the developers of the Witcher games - are working on a game called Cyberpunk 2077 which will be set in the Cyberpunk universe which I believe is a pen-and-paper (or boardgame?) roleplaying game. I am really looking forward to this game since the Witcher 3 was easily the best RPG game I've ever played.

The very first reveal was back in October 2012.
    Then there came a cinematic trailer in January 2013. I'd recommend watching this breakdown of the cinematic trailer so you can get an understanding of the universe.

And now there is an official E3 trailer.

Here are some screenshots of the E3 trailer from the cyberpunk website

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Cyberpunk 2077

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's definitely putting the 'punk' in Cyberpunk, compared to stuff like Blade Runner or Deus Ex. Which I am fine with, I think. Hope we see some gameplay footage in the next few days, or at least more info on how it will play.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

For the love of Buddha, I hope weapon degradation isn't a thing here.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

So, the guy who wrote Neuromancer complained that Cyberpunk looks like a GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future.

It really looks like a GTA trailer both in aestethics and execution.

But I'm not worried about the aesthetics. Not everything in this genre needs to have that stupid neo-noir look where it always rains. People complaining despite never having seen a night cycle... ugh.

what worries me more is characters. Can a custom created character, where we can possibly choose even gender, be as good as Geralt? Shepard was decent, but got nothing on Geralt. Can they replicate the same level of backstories / relationship to the other characters (Yennefer, Ciri etc) with a custom character?

Yeah, it looks like GTA, but this is going to be an RPG. Not every RPG has to be in high fantasy or the like. If they can pull off a GTA like world but an amazing story and choice, it is going to probably be one of my all time favorite games.

Custom character means infinite replayability for someone like me. So I am VERY excited to have classes and custom character. I was worried when I heard that you would be stuck playing as the premade guy in the trailer. Also, Geralt already had a huge plethora of backstory before The Witcher games, a custom character can easily work in this setting. No, I don't think the relationships and the like will be as good as Witcher just because of the large amount of backstory that Geralt had previously, however.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    So, the guy who wrote Neuromancer complained that Cyberpunk looks like a GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future.

But I'm not worried about the aesthetics. Not everything in this genre needs to have that stupid neo-noir look where it always rains. People complaining despite never having seen a night cycle... ugh.

what worries me more is characters. Can a custom created character, where we can possibly choose even gender, be as good as Geralt? Shepard was decent, but got nothing on Geralt. Can they replicate the same level of backstories / relationship to the other characters (Yennefer, Ciri etc) with a custom character?
    Same thinking here. This will be very bad for the narrative imo. Customization means more possibility, more variety, more appealing for everyone while actually making happy no one.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Same thinking here. This will be very bad for the narrative imo. Customization means more possibility, more variety, more appealing for everyone while actually making happy no one.
    I honestly don't see how having a custom character automatically means a weak narrative. From what I understand you are playing as the merc "V" or whatever, so it reminds me of something like Shepard from Mass Effect, as well.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Only 3 player classes (Techie, Netrunner, Solo) but you can mix and match them at will, a little less than I thought they would have. I'm pretty sure Cyberpunk 2020 has a lot more classes than that. The way that the 3 classes sound reminds me of Dragon Age Origins though. What class you pick from what I understand will give you a custom backstory to go with it. Which is really cool. I was actually hoping it was third-person, but first person is still fine for me. I just like to look at my character/cosmetics. I am already wondering what I am going to make first (maybe a melee?). They say it's still a full on RPG and not an FPS, with quests just like how they did it in Witcher 3. Sounds great, and will probably blow Fallout 4 out of the water for the people who said they couldn't have RPG and good shooter gameplay.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Everything feels a bit too clean still for cyberpunk. I'm not demanding that the entire game takes place at night and the only colors in existence are magenta and neon blue, but nothing really feels properly lived in. If you look at seminal films such as Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, (or heck, even the abominable live action Super Mario film), everything is always filthy and run down. I don't really get that feel here.

Never played the original tabletop RPG but looking forward to this adaptation. No combat please as that spoilt the Witcher series for me.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

CDPR is certainly my favourite games producer, since i played The Witcher series.
    Although i don't use fe. Witcher 3 without a massive mod usage, which still changes to the day as for (ongoing) more great mod releases. That means there actually: No vanilla for me (but in comparison to other games, also as vanilla absolutely the topnotch product/s).

Not sure that Cyberpunk 2077 can trigger the same excitement on my side. Pretty much guess, no.

I still hope, that company would remember what made them that famous. Game style along The Witcher.
    Fe. creating something more based on the Sapkowski literature would be very welcomed. There is much room for it (probably all who have read the Sapkowski books understand from what i speak).

On the other side, objectively, i'm quite sure, that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a high quality product in the according genre. So just for the ones who are in that theme will most likely like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post

Yeah, that's one of the mainaspects to me, too, in regard of immersion. And it is not for nothing that games which are based on literature are special and usually have also a lot of success (if the company is not too imcapable).
    At least in this relation, Cyberpunk as title has such template or background as well.
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 24, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Leaked e3 audio recording if anyone is interested.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

awaiting this game eagerly. Mostly because its cdprojekt RED doing it.

I have been following them for a while on Twitter and they keep increasing my anxiety levels lol!!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Get hyped!!!

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Wow it looks great. I did not expect the game to be 1st person view. I like it. It feels like you are actually living Blade Runner.

It definitely looks really good. A bit unpolished on some kill animations, and the Latino guy sounds way too put on, but otherwise really good. It is still in development so polish, and changes can go back in.

It was immersive as hell, the open world the crowds, and general peds looked like they put things like GTA to shame. They did an amazing job with the aesthetic.

Finally! The 48 minutes will last longer than 48 minutes for me haha!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast