Thread: Wood's World of Words [updated: May 1]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wood's World of Words [updated: May 1]

Wood's World of Words

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome all! My actual name is Nathan Wood (hence, the title of my library), which I figured my be useful to give as well, since at some point I plan to submit many of the things posted here to publishers or anthologies. I am fairly new to the Writer's Study and the writing community here, having not really realized it existed until a couple weeks ago (May 2018). However, with my newfound knowledge I plan to be more active, participating in Tales of the Week Competitions (TotW), submitting short fiction for the Monthly Writing Competitions (MCWC), and also creating some longer pieces via After Action Reports (AAR).

Given this, and the fact that I'd like to provide a simple set of links to my work for any interested, I thought I would create a library as well. If you like my work, do subscribe to the library, and you will then get regular updates any time I add a new story or installment of an ongoing AAR. For those of you just wishing to browse, feel free to check any of the links below, or peruse the TotW submissions I've added.

Also, any comments on the work I have posted is always welcome, since as I said I would at some point like to have things published and feedback always helps towards that end. If I somehow do manage to get some poor fool to agree to publish my work I will let you all know ASAP!

Tales of the Week Submissions:
    (please do have a look at other TotW as well, as there are loads of good things there from dozens of great authors!)

Previously, I had placed my Tale of the Week entries here in contentboxes, but the character limit for single posts was becoming a problem, what with all the links to other things already here. For that reason, I have moved the Tale of the Week stories to post #4 below. Please feel free to peruse them to your heart's content, and if any of them conjure up any thoughts for you, or if you want to chat about them (or anything else), feel free to drop a comment in this thread!

Creative Writing:
    (again, have a look at the great pieces, both finished and ongoing, from other writers in the creative writing forum! Link)

The Fool and His Keeper (The Chronicles of Matt and Morn) (ongoing)

This is a series of short stories written in a Terry Pratchett-esque style of comedic fantasy, and following a magic sword and his companion (or the other way around; it depends on who you ask). The main characters get into scrapes, steal things, abduct/rescue damsals (some of whom are even in distress), and generally blunder about the world. The tales will also likely interact with other characters and places which are part of my ongoing short story series "Legends and Fragments" (see description of "The Song of Tekka and Maharat" below).

The Fool and His Keeper (The Chronicles of Matt and Morn)

The Song of Tekka and Maharat (completed)

This is a short creation story, which I wrote as part of an ongoing series called "Legends and Fragments". The tales in this series are meant to flesh out the world I'm creating for a novel in-progress, which I hope at some point to also start posting here, provided I can make myself feel more happy about the state it's in...

The Song of Tekka and Maharat

The Last Days of Albanus, Martyr of Verulamium (completed)

This is a short story about the first recorded Christian martyr of the Britons. It deals with faith, prayer, and some other theological concerns.

The Last Days of Albanus, Martyr of Verulamium

Ongoing AARs:
    (again, have a look at those from others as well! Link)

Written in Sand

This is a narrative-style AAR following the exploits of a single general of the Nabataeans in my EBII campaign. The pace is somewhat slow, and it reads more like a novel than a simple recounting of what battles took place and which cities were captured. However, what is lost in action and speed is, I think, more than made up for in rich description and character development. The links to the general information about the AAR and the individual parts can be found below.

Table of Contents
    --------------------------------------------------
    Written in Sand (AAR info and intro)

Chapter 1: Out of Edum
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII

Chapter 2: First Moves
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI

Chapter 3: Crimson Sands
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V

Chapter 4: New Friends, New Enemies
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII
    Part VIII
    Part IX

Chapter 5: The Incense Road
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII
    Part VIII

Interlude
    Part I

Chapter 6: The Highest Eagles
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII

Chapter 7: Drawing the Net
    Part I

Published Academic Articles:
    My actual profession is doing research in moral and political philosophy, so, for anyone interested in having a look at my more serious work, I will provide external links to anything I've published that is available open access.

Deploying Racist Soldiers (2018)

This article is about morality in war, and argues that the intentions a soldier or state has in war do not in principle matter. Importantly, I do not argue that intentions simply do not matter, but that intentions only matter insofar as they impact on our actions (which will almost always be the case). It might seem a small point, but it is one which goes against much current thinking and also against the foundations of the study of morality and war as given by St. Augustine and St. Aquinas. It seems at first like the article is doing rather little, but by the end it makes a large point about moral theory in general which you may find interesting.

If this idea interests you at all, or if you just want to learn a bit more about the theory, feel free to read further! If you do end up reading the paper and have any questions or comments about it, feel free to send me a personal message here. I am always happy to help clarify things, hear objections or counterarguments, debate politics/philosophy, or even just bounce around new ideas.

Republican International Relations (2015)

This article explores a political theory called "Republicanism" (named so because it emulates the legal and moral notions which drove the insitutions of the Roman Republic). The core of Republicanism is the idea that states exist and should exist for the sole purpose of promoting and protecting freedom, where freedom is understood as the absence of any force which may dominate you (see article for further elaboration). In this paper I argue that this republican theory has certain necessary implications for international relations, building to the conclusion that if we take republicanism seriously, then we are obligated to create a federalized global republican state.

If this idea interests you at all, or if you just want to learn a bit more about the theory, feel free to read further! If you do end up reading the paper and have any questions or comments about it, feel free to send me a personal message here. I am always happy to help clarify things, hear objections or counterarguments, debate politics/philosophy, or even just bounce around new ideas.
    Last edited by Kilo11; May 01, 2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Newest Written in Sand links added
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing