Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: [RELEASE] 1.2.3 Released!

Default Re: [RELEASE] 1.2.3 Released!

I don't know if the AI is handling Carthage's redone roster well. Started about 4 games as Rome and each time Syracuse takes Sciliy (once Epirus even took Panormos!) and then Carthage loses their capital to either Syracuse or one of the Iberian tribes. They don't dominate like before, but seem to fold too easily now.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. In this campaign, they've also got booted out of Sicily by Syracuse.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

I believe we have already checked and everything works as it should with them (bonuses,scripts) etc
    So again, it's pure randomness guys.

One thing to remember is that we are all individually playing with a very small sample size with lots of random factors. Over time, trends will become obvious (like Milan being too powerful in vanilla M2TW), but unless you are finding a way to quickly play through numerous games to a certain point, you won't see the actual trends. I might get a bit annoyed at Arche Bosphorus eating all of the space between Asia Minor, Mesopotamia, and up the Volga in my last two games, but that sample size is too small to figure out whether they are overpowered (or why).

Quote Originally Posted by Olmsted View Post
    One thing to remember is that we are all individually playing with a very small sample size with lots of random factors. Over time, trends will become obvious (like Milan being too powerful in vanilla M2TW), but unless you are finding a way to quickly play through numerous games to a certain point, you won't see the actual trends. I might get a bit annoyed at Arche Bosphorus eating all of the space between Asia Minor, Mesopotamia, and up the Volga in my last two games, but that sample size is too small to figure out whether they are overpowered (or why).
    Exactly.

I've had a mixture of Carthage doing well and Carthage getting wrecked. I'd say for now it's about 70% of the time they do well. The other 30% is usually Syracuse holding all of Sicily and then Iberian tribes doing really really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Olmsted View Post
    I might get a bit annoyed at Arche Bosphorus...figure out whether they are overpowered (or why).
    They're crushing nomads in my game as well. Lucky me I met them in the Caucasus before they could move south.

Visit Arche Bosporus before Arche Bosporus visits you.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by broodwarjc View Post
    I don't know if the AI is handling Carthage's redone roster well. Started about 4 games as Rome and each time Syracuse takes Sciliy (once Epirus even took Panormos!) and then Carthage loses their capital to either Syracuse or one of the Iberian tribes. They don't dominate like before, but seem to fold too easily now.
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong here, but the same thing happened to me in my current Rome campaign. After around 100 turns, the domains of Carthage had shrunken to only Corsica & Sardinia with Carthage (and the entire province of Africa) taken by the Syracuse and their holdings in Iberia taken by the Edetani, whom had grown extremely powerful. After driving Epirus from Italy, I made peace with them (only after getting them to pay a heavy war indemnity) and Pyrros promptly invaded Sicily and liberated Panormos (sp?). So initially, I was enjoying a campaign that somewhat followed the historical narrative. Then Pyrros' transports were immediately killed from a Carthaginian fleet. Anyhow, I was slightly disappointed how my game turned out because I wanted to do some Punic Wars . Oh well Interesting how stuff plays out.

Carthage allwais lose the capital

Not always. This time around they're somehow holding on to Africa, but I think it's honestly Selucid-Syndrome. They have a lot of empire, lots of holdings, and as an AI, no idea how to prioritize. It does feel like they crumple too much though, but I think Greek Strategos is right - this is probably just randomness.

I played a long (800 turns) Rome campaign from March to May and Carthage lasted for quite some time -- though we went to war over Sicily pretty early. Something like ~270-268 BC. My current game with the new content (and cultural tensio) has me at peace with Carthage in 265 BC, friendly even. But Carthage is having a horrible time in Spain, losing their northern holdings to native tribes and trouble is brewing in the borderlands with Egypt. That long campaign played pretty close to historically accurate, this one is not so much. I like it as it makes the campaigns different enough to warrant more play throughs.

Quote Originally Posted by CadetNewb View Post
    But I think Greek Strategos is right - this is probably just randomness.
    At least I'm not left.