Thread: LAST ROMAN WARLORDS IN THE WILD NORTH (INSULARIS DRACO - LATE ROMAN\DARK AGE MOD IN GAUL AND BRITISH ISLES)

OskarEriksson's Avatar Foederatus

Default LAST ROMAN WARLORDS IN THE WILD NORTH (INSULARIS DRACO - LATE ROMAN\DARK AGE MOD IN GAUL AND BRITISH ISLES)

NORTHERN GAUL...
    SPRING 451 AD

Our story begin much earlier than the infamous clash with those the germanic laeti of gaul call "the piss of the devil", the huns of Attila.
    In 403 ad, 50 years before, emperor Honorius and Stilicho his general was dealing with a gothic foederati mutiny in Italy and Illyricum, and called back many garrisons from Britannia, and Gaul to Italy, leaving a vital section of the limes (a frontier, not in the sense of a modern border, but an area where move and garrison troops, colonists, absorbe tribes, i know that could seem bold, but it was something like the wild west for the americans, with us cavalry forts even in indian territory, with roman citizens living even among the barbarians by years, as servants or outlaws, at the time of julian the apostatae the sources mention even some bounty killer among the roman commanders, and barbarians , romanized often living among the romans by generations, it wasn't a border in modern sense.... a line on a map. But it was THE FRONTIER) undefended, this caused the disaster, in the night of dec. 31 407 ad, the most baleful, deadly new year's eve of the western history three or four germanic peoples crossed the iced rhine, and overwelhm Gaul, the only troops left to defend the river was the Salian franks foederati, they did their best, stopping even the invaders for sometime, but without the help of the roman garrison it couldn't last too long, and at the end they passed, harassing the whole province, and arriving until Iberia later.

Emperor Honorius wrote a letter in Britannia, saying more or less "provide yourselves to your defense".
    Most of the troops was retired, in gaul and italy by now, but many soldiers, magistrates, municipal authorities, bishops, and others remained, because they was native of the island or had family there, the surviving central authority in britannia was organized in Londinium in what was called the "CONCILIUM BRITANNIAE", governed by a paramount ruler, Vitalinus (Vortigern in the celtic sources), a rich romano british landowner, he implemented the anglish, saxon and jutes foederati settlements on the coast to counter the pictish and scottish and gaelic raids in north and west, and organized the local troops with the various local warlords (by now every romano british noble, officer, landowner etc etc had a small private army claiming a small territory) , and implementing the contacts with the romano british peoples emigrated in Armorica (a lawless land in gaul, home of the bacaudae revolt, gallic farmers, roman deserters, barbarians, ruined by the central administration, turned into brigands and bandits ravaging the land and harassing small municipalities..).

Meanwhile in gaul, the barbarian horde (vandals, alans, suebi, and alamanni) passed mostly heading for spain, and later north africa (the vandals) leaving only three foederati kingdoms in the province, the franks, loyal sentinels on the rhine delta, established there by 200 years by now), the visigoths of aquitania, and the alans of Goar and Sangibans in Aurelianum, aside the Burgundi east.

The roman magister militum Aetius, in last 30 years fought with the help of his hunnic allieds, against these germanic peoples (fleeing from the huns, and scared by them) from time to time, putting one tribe against the other, but in last years a new hunnic great king, Attila, reunited the tribes in a big coalition, threatening the eastern empire.
    In 449 AD taking the Honoria quarrel as a casus belli, Attila invaded the west, trying to establish his peoples (a huge coalition of huns, germanic, iranic and slavic peoples, every peoples conquered by the huns was there with his own chiefs) in Gaul, and the Generalissimo Aetius found himself without his precious hunnic allieds..... (Only a few was with us at the catalaunian fields.... those loyal to Bleda, the brother of Attila, killed when he tooked the throne, the nobles friend of bleda escaped west fighting for Rome, we used these guys, speaking the hunnic dialect, to infiltrate Attila camp and achieve intelligence during his chevauxeee in Gaul, as the salian franks infiltrated the ripuarian camps, allieds of attila, for the same reason).

All the roman diplomacy, and all the roman best roman diplomats of the time, and patience, like Romolus, friend of Aetius, was moved in Raetia to the Burgundi, in Aquitania to the Visigoths, to the Franks north, and even the Bagaude was asked to assist the army, (the roman regular troops was very few at the time, commander Majiorianus succeeded in bring from Italy a new enlisted comitatenses legions with local recruits, but they was inexperienced, the few good troops of the italian army, the presentalis troops, and the limitanei\navy troops of Venetia-Julia and Aquileia (Venetic\Histrian marines, Highlanders of Pannonia, illyrian sailors, all experienced troops with years of life at the frontier between Noricum and Pannonia) was kept there by Petronius, the rival of Aetius, to defend Italy in case of Attila was changing direction) to build a coalition of peoples, to reunite all the foederati and allieds of Rome in gaul and force them to respect their treaty, and field their forces to counter the invaders. ....

AFTER WE PURSUED THEM FOR WEEKS, WITH ONLY SKIRMISHES, THEY STOPPED AT THE CATALAUNIAN FIELDS.... IN THE LUGDUNENSIS I GUESS.

Aetius reunited the war council that night , stating that Sangiban and his alans would mantain the center, (rumours of treason was circulating on him, so he was put there to avoid desertion), the roman regular troops occupied a hill, to absorbe the main assault of Attila cavalry, while the frankish and the visigoths allieds was on the flanks....

In the morning when we realized the entity of the hunnic horde, we was astonished....
    The officers ordered the troops to "DIE ON YOUR POSITION".

The hunnic and germanic steppe cavalry (ostrogoths, but also others joined later in germanic forests, like iutungi) was devastating, but the infantry obeyed, pratically diyng in position without broke and route, then the few roman cavalry, the alans of sangiban, and the anti-attila hunnic nobles assaulted on the flanks, killing soon one of the Attila best commanders, after 30 minutes of battle where Aetius risked several time to be killed (his bucellari personal retainer unit lost 80% of men!) the franks and the visigoths finally bite their back from the flanks, but many barbarian corps kept the position and was massacred there without retreat....
    Even attila was wounded and was believed dead for the rest of the day.

At night the body of Theodoric, the king of the visigoths was found, he was dead, his son and heir Torismund wasntd revenge, to assault the hunnic encampment and finish off the enemy, but aetius convinced him to return in Aquitania to secure his throne (it was not a good idea to annihilate Attila....what could happen without the threat of the huns? the germanic foederati in gaul could discover they don't need rome's help anymore....).

After the battle, Aetius returned in Italy, leaving the governorship of the surviving Gallic territories under the direct control of Rome to Aegidius Syagrius, a good officer formed up under Aetius with Majorian, and others.

The king of the Alans of Aurelianum Sangiban died in the battle too.... It's been a bad lost.
    The nomad cavalry is the best part of the roman army by now (in mid-late 5th century the army start to turn slowly into what you will see later with Justinian and Belisarius, where the elite and best part is the cavalry, both melee and missile in the same unit, and having few regular troops in the governorship of gaul, few money, i m building my forces in that way with a small elite of roman\nomadic regular troops, sided by foederati and allieds, playing with intelligence rather than force on the field, with hit and run attacks, sieges, guerrilla, and so on, like the early byzantine forces in 6th century and also 7th probably. Later i will do in the same mod, after this campaign, also a romano british 6th century campaign, and you will see the best of this tactic\strategy there against the saxons), the to loose an experienced commander like Sangiban is been a bad hit.

Luckily his army is not destroyed, returning to aurelianum to replenish and recruit new troops, constituting a column of alan cataphracts and horse archers enlisted regularly in the roman cavalry, with roman officers, insignia etc etc

While south in TURONE the visigoths are established as Laeti, but i don't know if they will be friendly for long.....(often the foederati did take other cities, illegally, then returning into the foedus, as roman allieds, enlarging so their dominions).

The objective is to create a reliable galloroman army, based on cavalry tactics, to reconduct slowly in a matters of several years one by one the foederati under roman rule, and create a roman rump state in gaul that have his weight even in britannia in support of the pro roman party, the concilium britanniae.
    Also two roman fleets, one in Paris and the others on the channel, complete with ships, crews and equipment survive and are under our command in gaul.

In next episode i will post some map of the territory controlled by me.

From 451 ad is all for now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	805.7 KB 
ID:	369357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0010.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	705.6 KB 
ID:	369358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0009.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	898.9 KB 
ID:	369359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0008.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	741.8 KB 
ID:	369360Attachment 369361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0006.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	781.5 KB 
ID:	369362Attachment 369363Attachment 369364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	783.5 KB 
ID:	369366
    Last edited by OskarEriksson; August 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: LAST ROMAN WARLORDS IN THE WILD NORTH (INSULARIS DRACO - LATE ROMAN\DARK AGE MOD IN GAUL AND BRITISH ISLES)

Good start for your AAR! That's an interesting time period, and I'm wondering how the combination of elite melee and missile cavalry will get on - I imagine it will be effective for the kind of hit and run warfare you're intending them for.

Default Re: LAST ROMAN WARLORDS IN THE WILD NORTH (INSULARIS DRACO - LATE ROMAN\DARK AGE MOD IN GAUL AND BRITISH ISLES)

Name:	0038.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	369403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0040 (1).jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	369404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0041.jpeg 
Size:	522.6 KB 
ID:	369405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0042.jpeg 
Size:	642.8 KB 
ID:	369406

RAIDING DEEP INTO BAGAUDIA...
    Somewhere in central gaul, a local authority close the Magister Militum per Gallia...

"ARE YOU THE DECURIO OF SENONIA? DO YOU SEE THAT BURG THERE? THERE ARE AT LEAST 600 BAGAUDAE SLEEPING....SEEMS THEY DON'T SPOTTED US...NO SIR, WAIT UNTIL YOU WILL FRONT THEM IN COMBAT BEFORE YOU FEEL SUPERIOR.... "
    (In the background someone started to shoot firing arrows on the houses...)
    "WHO ORDERED FIRE??! DAMN, THE SURPRISE IS OVER, ATTACK!...OU, DECURIO, HAVE SOME OF YOU LANDS IN THIS AREA?"
    "YES SIR, FEW POSSESSIONS..."
    "WELL, REMEMBER THEN, THIS BAGAUDAE ARE MAINLY YOUR ENEMIES, LET'S GO."

The countryside is haunted by Bagaudae....
    Basically they are farmers literally ruined, starving, by the taxation, and the barbarian invaders raids, that sometime in their lives decided to take a fork, escape in the forest, and live ravaging the countryside assaulting farms, small vicariae, massacring the men, robbing, raping women, killing local vigiles and officers, and when they are joined by some roman deserter and barbarian deserter too they create real autonomous enclaves in the countryside, where they start a guerrilla against both the roman army and the barbarian invaders.... pratically are bandits. AND THE BANDITS END ON THE CROSS. No?

Going to Senonia, (modern sens in lugdunensis) to have a meeting with the local Dux, i intercepted and destroyed totally the local bagaudae that was right then out in forces to loot the countryside (probably they didn't expect to met a column of the roman army with hunnic cavalry, legionary infantry, and the magister militum per gallia on the head! Probably to the hunnic cavalry seems not possible that they can massacre our citizens with our permission...Btw the limitanensis have landholding here, so they are the first enemy of these brigands since wherever they go, they push slaves and colonists to revolt, burn the farms, and kill the landholders.).

CONCLUSION....

"Sir! The limitanensis are executing the prisoners!"

"What would you do?...Pack and send them to Ravenna as a gift for the emperor?"

(the local decurio arrive...) : "Sir! The battle is over!

"What pity we haven't prisoner to bring in front of the judge..."

"The martial law speak clearly sir, they robbed, killed, disturbed our peace, they had to die..."

"Do you know what i say, dear Decurio? that i'll be not wrong to put you under arrest...but don't worry, i'm your friend!
    But i wanna give you a suggest...these are your people, from your villages and towns, right? Prepare a list of their relatives, friends, neighbours, and give it to the authorities in Senonia, because the war is not over, nor won...They will seek revenge, so we should catch them or we'll have another bagaudia within months here".

Meanwhile in the background peoples shouting and insulting the bagaudae while killing them.

Name:	5894628.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	369407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5894621.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	369408
    BAGAUDAE LOOTING A TOWN

Last edited by OskarEriksson; September 02, 2023 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good start for your AAR! That's an interesting time period, and I'm wondering how the combination of elite melee and missile cavalry will get on - I imagine it will be effective for the kind of hit and run warfare you're intending them for.

Gratiae! Grazie mille!

It's perfect! (if you look some old discussion in the IB forums, you will find more info about when and where romans used this strategy mainly with aetius, stilicho too started to do it, and later in the 6 and 7 centuries the eastern romans reached the climax) , the western germanic peoples do not use much cavalry, mostly infantry, so these nomads are like a tactical nuclear weapons against them, (once in the old IB CB i destroyed 5 frankish full stacks with 7 units of roman cavalry and nomad foederati, simply with skirmish mode, using bats, attracting their command units away from the army with simulated retreats one by one and destroying them alone, massacring everyone), i use it even in 3rd century campaigns with the old legion system, equites parthii et osroeni, scutarii, mauri, are PERFECT to deal with franks, saxons (the scandinavians haven't cavalry at all, almost, they have one or two units max , in britain is even easier with the romano british cavalry, there's a reason if the myth of the arthurian cavalry exist XD) , alemanni, the problem come when you fight against EASTERN germanic peoples...

Marcomanni, Quadi, Goths, Heruli, living off the danube have much steppe influence and have many cavalry units, there this game don't work well, you loose pratically half of your cavalry trinyg to destroy their cavalry (firsty you destroy cavalry, to leave them mobility, then surround infantry and massacre them), it work even less with the persians........ or with alans, or sarmatians, or with the huns.

SO WHAT DO? SIMPLE, SIEGE WARFARE, LET THEM STALEMATE AGAINST YOUR WALL (THIS MEAN LET THEM LOOT THE COUNTRYSIDE BUT..... ), and then when they lost too men in many assaults in situations where your legionary infantry is superiors, defending the walls, attack the survivors in open fields and annihilate them XD

The nomads are GOLD in late roman campaigns, alans, huns, sarmatians, are the key to deal with the germanic infantry.

The vandals for example having an alan component with them, are less subjects against this tactic in africa....

This teorema is the results of 20 years passed defending the limes XD
    Never lost a war against the barbarians, maybe i let them pass the river, but i don't let them out XD (well, look the 3'rd or 4th century campaigns of IB.... defending the rhine with only one or two legions is....because this is the numbers usually you have there, and is not even a real field army, but the garrisons of mogontiacum, argentoratum, colonia, etc etc so if you go to catch the enemy you left the big cities undefended and the barbarians know it, in this campaigns usually they outnumber you 4 or 5 to 1. At dealing and beating them, sending them back off the rhine, in these conditions mean something i learned.... ahaha).

Believe me, the nomad foederati are the equivalent of a tactical nuke against the germanic peoples in gaul XD
    I notice another thing: HUNNIC CAVALRY IS FAST, VERY VERY FAST, MUCH FASTER THAN NORMAL CAVALRY....This probably is due to the fact that they are master horsemen and that their horses are smaller, and not so "noble" as our horses, like the mongol cavalry.

I m one of those HARDCORE ROMAN PLAYERS, the only enemies i found difficult to beat in open field are the eastern germanic\nomad peoples, and the persians... i confess you something....I NEVER SUCCEEDED IN SACK CTESIPHON...In IB SAI, and other campaigns i ever tried but i was ever blocked by a stalemate in mesopotamia, since their numerous garrisons and since their cavalry was superior.

But this year i succeeded, in a campaign with palmyra, in IB RO, i sacked ctesiphon forcing persia to a humiliating peace XD i was very satisfied, since before i never succeeded in doing it. XD

Btw look this column of bagaudae... i used this tactic, and they had some barbarian deserter with them. I annihilated them without losses almost.

I will do the same sending local troops supported by hunnic foederati, against a raiding party of saxons landed north, in modern normandy, (often irish and saxon pirates land and loot towns here and in britain, but this time i will catch them before they rembark on their ships!)
    Last edited by OskarEriksson; September 02, 2023 at 08:17 PM.

Name:	0067.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	369435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0068.jpg 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	369436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0071.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	583.7 KB 
ID:	369437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0079.jpg 
Size:	795.6 KB 
ID:	369438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0080.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	369439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jarek-nocon-aetius-artstation.jpg 
Size:	743.8 KB 
ID:	369440

While occupied to chase bagaudae in Lugnunensis, a raiding party of Saxon pirates landed in the channel, attacking villages, burning farms, and besieging the young Sidonius Apollinaris, the son in law of Eparchius Avitus, in the local fortified town.

In last time gaelic pirates from ireland, and angli, juti and saxonii pirates scourge the british isles and northern gaul attacking the frankish foederati in the rhine delta and belgica, roman settlements in the channel and taking citizens away as slaves, but this time gone wrong for them: the local comes of the saxon shore (the saxon shore was an area of defense, of guard coast, with navy outposts and naval infantry and sailors going from the south east coast of britannia, to northern gaul, a kind of paramount military distric regrouping more areas, created to defend against the saxon and frankish pirates in the 3rd century) had at his disposal only his personal retinue, his bucellarii, composed by a heavy cavalry unit, and two hunnic bucellarii groups, attacked the saxon army alone, with hit and run attacks, making them run, divide, attracting with bats they lighter units before surrounding and annihilating them, then retreating as they try to react (saxon armies haven't cavalry, there aren't horses in scanza for what i know, their armies have very few horses in britain, and no horses at all their raiding parties on the continent),in this way the comes destroyed in a couple of hours almost 70% of enemy army, with supplies, forcing them to leave the siege and embark again at sea where they was intercepted by the classis germanica, the roman north sea fleet that still functioning in V century, and sunked.

After this episode the Magister militum Aegidius decided to reinforce the saxon shore with gallic and british sailors from the channel, marine infantry, outposts, to avoid be taken by surprise again from the sea.

The year 455 bring bad news.... Emperor Valentinian III probably manipulated by that snake of Petronius Maximum killed Generalissimo Aetius in a raptus.....

Then Petronius after sometime manipulated some Aetius veteran in Rome, pushing them to kill Valentinian (he had many flaws, but it was around him and the theodosian dinasty the the remaining loyalty of the provinces was regrouped....) manouvring to name himself emperor...

That bastard of Genseric profiting from the situation, and claiming the marriage promises between his son Unneric and the daughter of Valentinian (the emperor never promises nothing, it was treating for this marriage) blocked the grain export from Carthage, and arrived off Ostia with a fleet....

Petronius was killed by the mob while triyng to escape, the Vandals sacked Rome, and the most terrible new is that empress Licinia Eudoxia and her daughter are being accompanied in Carthage "host" of Genseric and Unneric.....

This humiliation, fault of a blind political class (Aetius was the only Genseric really fear, him and Marcellinus the comes dalmatiae) was enough for the Magister Aegidius, he declared he doesn't recognize anymore the government in Ravenna, and that by now he respond to the emperor of Constantinople, that pratically mean declaring indipendence since Constantinople is too far away and the control is only on paper.

For now the pay for the troops and the administration still to arrive from Rome, 40.000 denarii per year, but i guess soon they will stop it....The army of gaul should start to auto finance...

END OF THE THIRD EPISODE...

YOUR IN DECADENCE "ANTONIUS"

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great updates, it sounds like you're noticing a lot of useful details, like ths speed of the Hunnic cavalry and the right tactics to use against different enemies.

Great updates, it sounds like you're noticing a lot of useful details, like ths speed of the Hunnic cavalry and the right tactics to use against different enemies.
    This is the result of 15 years almost passed on the limes, everywhere and ever, to counter the germanic tribes, the steppe peoples, the persians. And so on ahah vet of Invasio Barbarorum here and hardcore roman player.

PS This AAR is not dead, i'm not posting simply because i'm not playing now, i'm busy at the university with the exams session, but from october-november i will restart to play INSULARIS DRACO and i will continue this campaign. So wait lads! Time machine to V century ad should wait sometime now!
    Last edited by OskarEriksson; September 21, 2023 at 09:52 PM.