Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 29]

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Jan 15]

Real life is more important and I'm impressed to see that you still manage to find time to write and post here with all that going on.

This part was a wonderful look at the relationship between Tharin and Mubsamat. It is clear why these two are attracted to each other. Mubsamat is very confident of herself. I pray that that confidence is warranted. Nobody wants to see the baddies win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post

Sounds good to me! I can't remember if I have had that before, though if I was a betting man, I'd guess that I have. At any rate, Belgian beers are always nice for a tasting!
    It's easy to forget what you've drank if you have drunk as much as I have (which I don't doubt ) Two years ago I started using a beerapp called Beers to keep track of my consumption of beers. I've got almost 250 different beers atm (and there are a lot of beers I've had before I started using the app that I haven't drunk again since) If you haven't already had the Rochefort 10 (make sure it's the 10, the 8 is good but nowhere near as good as the 10) it really is one of the best Belgian beers out there (in my humble opinion of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Thanks for continuing to write, despite the urgent needs of real life! This is worrying (for Mubsamat and Tharin) as it seems that they won't be well-prepared for Zaadi's attack - they have searched, but not found their enemy.
    No worries Alwyn. It is tough to muster the energy from time to time (I honestly think I've not written anything really in the past month), but I love putting words together, and am always happier when I feel I've made some progress here. I think this is something that all of us in the Writers' Study have from time to time, as none of us are professional writers (yet ), but all of us love the craft and try to find time to do it more. We just do the best we can, and hopefully stick with it to the end of a tale!

As to Mubsamat and Tharin, you will have to wait and see. There will be more suspense and anticipation before things resolve, but I hope it will all prove it worth it at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Real life is more important and I'm impressed to see that you still manage to find time to write and post here with all that going on.
    Thanks Turk. It is important to me, and if I could, I would take a month off of real work to re-commit myself to the tale here. Alas, I can't, but I will be sure to make time soon to get more writing out. I'm just lucky I still have such a long back-log of updates to keep me posting in this dry period.

This part was a wonderful look at the relationship between Tharin and Mubsamat. It is clear why these two are attracted to each other. Mubsamat is very confident of herself. I pray that that confidence is warranted. Nobody wants to see the baddies win.
    I'm glad you liked it. I am not one for romance writing (either as a writer or reader), but for some relationships that is an important aspect to work in somewhere. I think the way I went about it here works nicely, and I like that it is not "center screen" as it were, but rather built alongside their deeper relationship and meshed into the stresses of the moment.

It's easy to forget what you've drank if you have drunk as much as I have (which I don't doubt ) Two years ago I started using a beerapp called Beers to keep track of my consumption of beers. I've got almost 250 different beers atm (and there are a lot of beers I've had before I started using the app that I haven't drunk again since) If you haven't already had the Rochefort 10 (make sure it's the 10, the 8 is good but nowhere near as good as the 10) it really is one of the best Belgian beers out there (in my humble opinion of course).
    That sounds interesting. For me, that would be more important for whisky though. With beer, I just drink what there is and hope it's good, but I put on a much more discerning attitude with my whiskies. That being said, I do love a good beer though!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Mar 2]

Continued from Chapter 11 - Part II

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Mun'at Ha'Qadri: General of the Nabati army, tasked with uniting the tribes of Arabia and subduing the Saba' confederations that control Arabia Felix.
    Shullai Ha'Maleki: Prince of the Nabati, riding south under Mun'at's command.
    Ravîv'êl Bikrum: Crown Prince of the Nabati. Currently governing the conquered settlement of Dedan.
    Malka Qênu: King of the Nabati, and leader of the united tribes.

Rana'in: Elder warrior and long-time friend of Mun'at.
    Khalil: Raider under Mun'at's command, usually tasked with leading the cavalry and light skirmishers.
    Haza'el: Captain of the Nabati.
    Wayyuq: A spy and pathfinder in the service of the Nabati, but not of their tribe.

Sabeans (Saba'):

Mubsamat: Queen of the Saba' with ambitions to end the tribal rivalries that plague her people.
    Tharin: Captain of Mubsamat's guard, tasked with contacting the approaching Nabati on Mubsamat's behalf and bringing them over to her cause.
    Zaadi Il'Bayyin: Often referred to as "Lord of the Northpass", Zaadi is a Qayl (higher official) of the Saba', and the ringleader of a group of nobles arrayed against Mubsamat.
    Halik Il'Yakif: Landowner and noble of the Saba' who initially followed Zaadi's plans but has since been turned by Mubsamat.
    Far'am Rafshan: Half-Qatabani exile who was in league with Zaadi Il'Bayyin, until Zaadi killed him.
    Karab: Son of the Athtar Yazi' clan and great leader of the Hashidi warriors of the northern plateau. He is also in league with Zaadi against Mubsamat.
    Hasan: Deceased brother of Karab.

Chapter 11
    By Darkest Night

--------------------------------------------------
    (Part III)

Zaadi's numbers had been bled in the brief war with Far'am's half-Qatabani tribes, yet even so, between his own remaining men and Karab's Hashidi warriors, he still commanded over eight hundred soldiers, each of them tried and tested. The false queen, Mubsamat, had five times that number, the Nabati as many again, but Zaadi no longer feared their strength, for his enemies relied on the combined wills of dozens of clans, hundreds of families, and all it would take is a single quarrel to unravel that fragile confederation. The queen and the Nabati simply believed too much that the peoples of Arabia could be so easily united, and Zaadi would gladly show them the magnitude of that lie. And all he needed in order to do so was to move his soldiers unseen across the plain. Then victory might yet be his.

Once night had fully descended, the blackness shrouding their movements, Zaadi led his men from their valley of hiding. They crept forward slowly, methodically, and with utmost care. Every scrap of metal upon them had been rubbed with soot mixed in oil, and anything which might rattle or break the still had been wrapped in felt; they were pools of shadow and silence moving through the dark. Shortly after beginning, one of them stumbled over a loose smooth stone, his suddenly heavy steps seeming to ring out in declaration of their presence, but a half-drawn blade and look from Karab ensured the mistake would not be repeated. After that, there was nothing at all to betray their movement through the night.

At first, Zaadi guided them toward the distant mound of lights with purpose, choosing a straight course over the broken land without deviation. However, before long he was forced to wend this way and that to avoid the thousand torches and fires that were scattered before them. With each passing minute they moved deeper and deeper into the maze of shadow and light, Zaadi's keen eyes somehow managing to always find a stretch of darkness through which they might pass unnoticed, until finally their progress was halted.

Zaadi held up a hand, the motion nearly invisible in the dark, yet his warriors somehow saw and obeyed, their long line bunching slightly as each man took a final step before stopping. In the inky blackness it was near impossible to mark one from the next, but after a short time Karab managed to find Zaadi. The younger Hashidi captain crept up to his lord's side, leaned in, and whispered so lowly that even Zaadi could only just make out the words.

"What do you see?" he asked in breathy tones.

Zaadi slowly shook his head, before raising his chin and sniffing the air. Carried on the night winds were many smells, the rich earthy scents of well-watered fields, the heavy aromas of the more distant orchards, but over it all lay the dull reek of wool and old sweat. Straining his ears, Zaadi also thought he heard the low snuffling sounds of dumb beasts dreaming their simple dreams, and a nod from Karab confirmed his fears; there was a shepherd nearby, his flock about him.

In the cloying gloom Zaadi could hardly make out Karab's features, but the brooding silence told him his captain was just as deep in thought as he, both men furiously searching for a solution to their problem. They had crossed half the distance to their goal already, and they could no longer turn back. The uneven ground gave some measure of cover, but not near enough for Zaadi's company, and they would need to be hidden before dawn's light betrayed their actions. Yet the fires and torches scattered around them left few avenues of darkness over which they might tread. They would have to pass the shepherd and his flock, and do so without him calling out in alarm or learning of their presence there.

With a glance at the stars above, Zaadi judged the night to already be half expended. He turned to Karab, and with his lips nearly brushing the younger man's ear he whispered, "There is not time to go around. We must move forward, and soon, or we die here come dawn..." His voice trailed away, leaving unspoken the question of how to move a small army past a herd of sheep and goats unnoticed.

"Kill the shepherd?" Karab answered after only a moment's thought.

A heavy silence followed as Zaadi considered the idea. He had had the same notion already, but for all its merits in simplicity, it was too fraught with risks. Zaadi shook his head, the motion lost in the night, before adding, "The flock would bolt, and someone would notice. We cannot use violence."

"Then what?" Karab answered. "We cannot kill him or sneak past him, and if any of us are found out, then we are done for. But I see no other alternatives."

Karab's tone was dour, heavy with doom, but in his words Zaadi saw the shape of an idea. A smile cracked his lips, his white teeth shining alone in the pools of black that masked his face. "I forgot you never were a shepherd, Karab."

"What?"

"I was just a boy when last I tended any flocks," Zaadi continued quietly, "but I remember those days still, and I tell you there is one thing no shepherd will ever gladly do, and that is meet strangers by night."

"I do not understand."

"I will explain Karab, but before I do, find three men whom you trust, well-blooded soldiers with nothing to prove."

Karab did as was asked, silently padding back through the ranks, only to return a few minutes later with three other men behind him. Zaadi could only just make out the shape of each, and could hardly see their faces, but from their steady breathing and solid bearing he judged them to be the sort he needed. At a whisper from Zaadi the small troop leaned in toward one another, and he quickly relayed his plan. A few murmured questions followed, and then the five of them set off in the direction of the shepherd.

The small band loped along quietly, no sound passing between them, until they were only two score paces from the boy and his flock, when one of Karab's chosen men whispered, "I see him."

He had made as if to speak covertly, yet the hiss of his words snapped through the night air with sharpness. In answer, Zaadi shushed him with urgency.

"What? I didn't say a thing." responded another of the men.

"Shut up, the both of you!" Zaadi snapped, his voice rising ever so slightly in volume, a trace of anger putting heat into his tone.

After that, not one of them dared to speak another word, and a wave of restless sounds from the goats and sheep led Zaadi and the others to instinctively hold their breath. A long moment of perfect still stretched, and in that heavy silence Zaadi could hear the blood pounding through his ears, the sound seeming loud enough to him to wake half the world. He counted away the seconds, and as the soft melodies of sleep again began to rise from the flock ahead he judged the time to be right.

"Are you ready?" Zaadi whispered, keeping his voice as low as he could while still speaking loud enough for the other four men to hear.

"Ready." came the reply from Karab and each of the three others, and the men began to fan out in a wide arc around one side of the flock. Their eyes flicked from the animals ahead to one another, judging their distances carefully to ensure that nothing might slip past them once they made their final move. Zaadi's plan was a good one, and it seemed to have no chance of failing, when suddenly Karab sneezed.

He did his best to muffle the sound, but in the close quiet of night it rang out like a thunderclap. In an instant the goats were bleating in fear at the men who had managed to come so impossibly close, the animal's cries given urgency by their terror. Zaadi knew then that there was no way to calm the beasts, and he turned to his right, to where he judged Karab to be. "You fool!" he shouted, all thought of secrecy banished by the panicking flock. "How will we get them now?!"

"We can still take half the flock and more." Karab answered defensively.

"The boy will see us. Would you have him know our faces?" Zaadi snapped back.

"Kill the boy then." chimed in one of Karab's men to the left.

"I will not kill a boy over a goat." answered Karab, after which he spat an insult. The slight was followed by a dozen quick footsteps in the dark, and then a closed fist. The blow caught Karab above his eye, but as he fell to the ground he swung a leg, knocking his attacker down beside him. They could not see one another, but they grappled and rolled in the dust, spewing curses and lashing out with knees and elbows whenever they thought they might do some hurt. An instant later Zaadi was on them both. He could not make out their faces, but it did not matter. He cuffed left and right, reached down around the shoulders of one, and threw him off the other, creating a brief moment of peace while the men were separated. And then, as suddenly as their composure had cracked, the group of five men was again calm. They took long breaths, quieting their lungs and hearts, and as silence enfolded them they could each just make out the sounds of many cloven feet already far distant, and steadily growing quieter.

A smile spread over Zaadi's face. "And that is how you despatch a shepherd, Karab." he said playfully.

Karab grunted in answer, adding, "But he knows we were here."

"He knows some fools came in the night to take his flock, but were too ill-prepared to kill a boy with a stick." Zaadi corrected. "He does not know that we were here." Zaadi glanced at the sky. "But we must get back and move the men quickly, or soon enough the shepherd and everyone else will know we are here."

Without waiting to see if the others followed, Zaadi turned back toward his hidden force, his legs taking the distance in bounding strides. The night was still dark, but already the first ghost light of dawn had begun its silent glide over the earth. In such gloom it was near impossible to make out any feature of the land, but Zaadi remembered his way well, guiding Karab and the others to their waiting comrades with assurance. They regained the ranks of the hiding army soon enough, Zaadi whistling a call at their approach to prevent a scout's arrow taking him through the throat, and as soon as he was amongst them he once again looked at the sky.

Zaadi cursed to himself silently. They had still not reached their goal, and the dark would be with them for only a short time more. They would again be forced to hide through the long day, waiting for the cover of shade. Yet they were no longer on the fringes of the plain, protected by distance and the freedom of open land at their backs. He had led them far into the lion's den, and somehow, in the very midst of their enemies, they would have to find a space beyond prying eyes. It seemed a fool's errand, but it was their only choice.

Choking down the uncertainty rising in his breast, Zaadi gave the signal to move, the order being whispered back through the ranks of his waiting warriors, and as one they rose to continue their march.

Not one of them knew the safest way forward, nor where they might while away the coming day unseen, and in the knowledge of that ignorance Zaadi spread a wide arc of scouts before him. They moved silently, and in that they made themselves as ghosts, but each minute the gray on the eastern horizon shifted ever more toward the rose hues of dawn. Day was breaking, and still they walked.

Zaadi's eyes flickered from the menace of the brightening sky to the marching ranks of his men, and he whistled a rising call. In answer, they sped their feet, trotting lightly over the uneven plain. They were moving far more quickly than they had in the dead hours of the night, desperation and creeping doom speeding them toward their goal, yet still they could not hope to reach it before the sun would rise. And still they had found nowhere to hide themselves.

A spell of panic swept through Zaadi then. Day would come. They would be found. And when that happened, they would die. Every last one of them would perish. They would fight long and well, he knew that, but in the end they would be overcome, the sheer weight of their enemy crushing them to dust. The only hope they had ever had lay in secrecy and cleverly concealed deceit, but the dawn would show the lie he had sought to spin, and truth would destroy him. Zaadi knew that. He took a deep breath and put on a cold face. Knowledge of his own certain destruction would not make him embrace it, not ever.

The eastern sky was blooming more and more with the soft brightness of a Levantine rose, and Zaadi finally determined to forsake all remaining caution. He raised a hand, halting the men behind him, and he turned to face them. Each looked back at him, a cold determination lighting their eyes from behind, and Zaadi took a deep breath. He would shout rage and defiance into them, and they would make their final stand, riding the crest of dawn against their enemies. They would all die, but they could still cut a tale bloody and deep enough to mark them in the history of their people. Zaadi opened his mouth to speak, yet just as the first words were forming in his mind, a scout's keening whistle cut the morning air. Zaadi turned to the call's source, and saw one of his men frantically pointing over the plain. Following the man's gestures, Zaadi swept his gaze onto a low dark smudge some few hundred paces from them. It was a farmstead surrounded by outbuildings, the whole of it only just betrayed by the growing light of day.

Relief washed over Zaadi like summer rain, and at a gesture his force began bolting toward the huddle of clay structures. They had found a hiding place, and they would live to fight another day. More than that, they would live to strike down the false queen's power. Zaadi would see her strength broken, and he might lead the Saba' in shattering the northmen who had come at her call. The upland plateau could be made clean again, and its might spread over Arabia. Zaadi would have it all.

Continue to Chapter 11 - Part IV
    Last edited by Kilo11; April 07, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

An excellent display of the building of tension. Zaadi's plan is bold and unheard of, so it's typically Zaadi ever a surprise to his foes.

I'm glad you liked it. I am not one for romance writing (either as a writer or reader), but for some relationships that is an important aspect to work in somewhere. I think the way I went about it here works nicely, and I like that it is not "center screen" as it were, but rather built alongside their deeper relationship and meshed into the stresses of the moment.
    I'm quite the same. I care very little for romance in anything really, especially as the central theme. I much prefer the more subtle representation of relationships in media (and in real life tbh). It's a part of the story but not the crux of it just like in real life, it's a part of your story but not the center piece (or shouldn't be in my opinion then again everyone can do whatever they want, I'm not gonna tell them how to live their life).

That sounds interesting. For me, that would be more important for whisky though. With beer, I just drink what there is and hope it's good, but I put on a much more discerning attitude with my whiskies. That being said, I do love a good beer though!
    I'm sure there are apps for that as well or you could be oldschool and write it up in a notebook (I know I used to do that). If you ever come back to Belgium, and the bars open again, I'll be your guide for Belgian beers.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Mar 15]

Zaadi's cunning over how to deal with the shepherd, and his panic over the rising of the sun, come across very well. The ending made me want to root for Zaadi!

I'm a week late with this, but better late than never, eh? Anyway, holidays are over now, so delays should be the more normal two or three days that you all have surely come to expect from me

An excellent display of the building of tension. Zaadi's plan is bold and unheard of, so it's typically Zaadi ever a surprise to his foes.
    Thanks Turk! Building tension is something I've been working on, as a lot of the earlier stuff just gets to the point in no time, and then concludes the point without too much dallying. It's a skill/curse developed from much academic writing, where succinctness and accuracy are king, but it is something in need of breaking when I am doing this more creative stuff. Glad to hear it is working out!

I'm quite the same. I care very little for romance in anything really, especially as the central theme. I much prefer the more subtle representation of relationships in media (and in real life tbh). It's a part of the story but not the crux of it just like in real life, it's a part of your story but not the center piece (or shouldn't be in my opinion then again everyone can do whatever they want, I'm not gonna tell them how to live their life).
    Glad to hear this as well. A desire for how much of any element is present is a personal preference, but it's good to hear that the readership is on board with my choices there.

I'm sure there are apps for that as well or you could be oldschool and write it up in a notebook (I know I used to do that). If you ever come back to Belgium, and the bars open again, I'll be your guide for Belgian beers.
    I will take you up on that. As of now, I have no idea when I'll be back in Belgium (nowhere is working at Uni these days anyway). But if I do make it back before my PhD is finished, I will make a plan with you to link up. Either in a bar, or at your place, with a crate of various and sundry booze!

Zaadi's cunning over how to deal with the shepherd, and his panic over the rising of the sun, come across very well. The ending made me want to root for Zaadi!
    This is very nice to hear Alwyn. Personally, I would like it if readers feel they can root for all the characters, cause at the end of the day they are all interesting, and they are all people. I have had some proper baddies (the brigands Mun'at slaughtered in Ch. 3 come to mind), but the main cast is made up of complex individuals with plans and goals, and my hope is that all of them are to some extent relatable, and that the suffering of any of them is felt by the reader to some extent.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 11 - Part III

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Mun'at Ha'Qadri: General of the Nabati army, tasked with uniting the tribes of Arabia and subduing the Saba' confederations that control Arabia Felix.
    Ravîv'êl Bikrum: Crown Prince of the Nabati. Currently governing the conquered settlement of Dedan.

Khalil: Raider under Mun'at's command, usually tasked with leading the cavalry and light skirmishers.
    Wayyuq: A spy and pathfinder in the service of the Nabati, but not of their tribe.

Sabeans (Saba'):

Mubsamat: Queen of the Saba' with ambitions to end the tribal rivalries that plague her people.
    Tharin: Captain of Mubsamat's guard, tasked with contacting the approaching Nabati on Mubsamat's behalf and bringing them over to her cause.
    Zaadi Il'Bayyin: Often referred to as "Lord of the Northpass", Zaadi is a Qayl (higher official) of the Saba', and the ringleader of a group of nobles arrayed against Mubsamat.
    Halik Il'Yakif: Landowner and noble of the Saba' who initially followed Zaadi's plans but has since been turned by Mubsamat.
    Far'am Rafshan: Half-Qatabani exile who was in league with Zaadi Il'Bayyin, until Zaadi killed him.
    Karab: Son of the Athtar Yazi' clan and great leader of the Hashidi warriors of the northern plateau. He is also in league with Zaadi against Mubsamat.

Chapter 11
    By Darkest Night

(Part IV)

Mubsamat had slept little the previous night, yet she woke with a smile and a soft light behind her eyes. She could already hear outside her tent the sounds of the morning, the gentle crackle of cooking fires being kindled, the muffled words of greeting coming from each captain and soldier as he emerged from his own canvas abode. On hearing the men's voices, Mubsamat absent-mindedly let her gaze swing to Tharin, who lay beside her. A long stripe of calf's skin covered his body from his navel down, but she could see his chest, the wiry black hairs that covered it broken here and there by old scars; a long white line marked where a blade had broken through his leather armor two years earlier, a warped mound beneath his shoulder betrayed an arrow's passage, and a dozen other hillocks of pale flesh showed his history, his victories and failings, his honor and courage. A smile spreading her lips, Mubsamat leaned over and kissed Tharin upon his brow, gently so as not to wake him, and she then rose, dressing herself quietly before stepping out into the busied activity of dawn.

She emerged from her canvassed quarters into a world bathed in young light, thin tendrils of smoke heavy with the scent of mutton drifting about her. In answer, her stomach growled and her mouth began to water, but before she could make any move to quench her desire a runner came hurrying toward her. The boy, a younger son of the Yami tribe, was halted by Mubsamat's guards, who briskly searched the youth for weapons, before allowing him to come near the Queen.

As the boy walked up, his eyes widened for a moment, showing some measure of awe at being in Mubsamat's presence. With a visible effort he then mastered himself. "My Queen, you wished for a report of anything that came to pass in the night." he said quickly.

Mubsamat smiled at the boy's eagerness to please, his rush to speak first and show how much he honored her position. And as if to praise his deference, she said nothing in response, instead simply nodding for him to continue.

"We are close to Qarnawu," he went on, "and most of the people have hidden themselves in the town to be out of our way... so as not to... disrupt our protecting them."

Mubsamat knew that to be a lie, but she noted the cleverness with which the boy excused the commoners' duplicity. The peasants of Qarnawu were no fools. They knew that an army, even one vowing to come in friendship, is a dangerous thing; men over-accustomed to taking what they pleased were liable to overlook trifling things like allegiance, especially if such boldness might win them wealth and wives. Still, the boy had given the peasants' actions an honorable intention, and Mubsamat found herself becoming fond of the youth's command of the subtleties of speech. She nodded for him to go on.

"The people are for the most part in the town, but a scattering of outer farmsteads are still occupied, and shepherds move their flocks as always. A handful of the latter claim to have seen some motion in the night, but they are skittish children. It might have been nothing."

"Anything else?" Mubsamat asked simply. The boy told her he had no more news, and she dismissed him, forgetting his face as soon as he was out of sight. Motion in the night. It could have been Zaadi, but it could as easily have been other shepherds, or wild dogs, or indeed nothing. The boy was right that the young ones who tended the flocks had fanciful imaginations, and they would only be made more so by the sudden presence of Mubsamat's army and the assurance of battle on the horizon. The warnings of such as those were not worth entertaining. And with that thought Mubsamat put the news out of her mind. She took a step toward one of the cooking fires, where a lamed warrior offered her a pouch of unleavened bread filled with steaming mutton and wild herbs, and she began to walk as she ate.

Mubsamat slowly wandered through the camp, her steps seeming aimless, yet always taking her further west, toward the plain where she was to meet Zaadi in open war the following day. So far there had been no news of his approach, and nothing to mark the passage of a force within a day's ride of that place, but Mubsamat felt certain that Zaadi would not shrink from a challenge once given. At Sa'dah she had chased him from his own home, and for just that he would need to see her bleed, need to break her body and will. Mubsamat knew the man well enough to know that. Yet for him to fight and have any hope of victory, he would need some trick, some device to aid him, and she had still not found what that might be.

A quarter of an hour later she was looking out over the dusty uneven stretch of earth where their men would fight and die, straining her eyes as she willed the land to betray her enemy's secrets. Zaadi was too clever. There would have to be something hidden out there, waiting to spell her doom. With barely a quarter of her strength, Zaadi would need every advantage the land offered, and he would need to create his own advantage as well. It was the only way. And yet Mubsamat's scouts had found nothing at all. No pits or traps or hidden weapons of any kind. The plain was bare.

Sweeping her gaze left and right, Mubsamat noticed a scattering of low blurs on the horizon, no doubt the outer farms the runner had mentioned. Dawn was only an hour past, but already the rising heat had set a low shimmer upon the earth, and in that haze the distant buildings danced and jumped. Mubsamat squinted against the dishonest sights to get a better view, when something tugged at her consciousness. Her vision was beginning to swim with the twisting swirling images before her, when again she saw something, some darker shape flitting about around one of the farther clusters of low clay structures. She could not be sure what it was, until suddenly the runner's words rang out unbidden in her mind. The shepherds had seen motion in the night. And then all at once everything became clear.

Mubsamat's eyes began to shine as a smile graced her lips. Whether or not they found anything that day, she was certain that she knew what Zaadi had planned. She turned back toward the sprawling encampment of her army and began retracing her earlier steps, her gait lighter than it had been before. Zaadi's trick had failed, and she would make him pay dearly for his mistake.

Continue to Chapter 11 - Part V
    Last edited by Kilo11; April 18, 2021 at 03:46 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Apr 7]

The reaction of the peasants of Qarnawu to the arrival of an army, even a friendly one, sounds authentic - and I enjoyed the boy's effort at subtle speech and Mubsamat's appreciation of it. I enjoyed, too, seeing the same events from the perspectives of Zaadi and Mubsamat. Mubamat thinks she has guessed Zaadi's plan, but has she guessed rightly?

The reaction of the peasants of Qarnawu to the arrival of an army, even a friendly one, sounds authentic - and I enjoyed the boy's effort at subtle speech and Mubsamat's appreciation of it. I enjoyed, too, seeing the same events from the perspectives of Zaadi and Mubsamat. Mubamat thinks she has guessed Zaadi's plan, but has she guessed rightly?
    I'm glad to hear that Alwyn. This is something I was actually thinking about, and that I thought was worthwhile to set the record straight about; I think a lot of people have this idea that the "friendly" army is always glad to be seen by the locals. But that is something that is actually a phenomenon of only the last couple centuries. For most of history, any army is bad news, as they take their food from the land around them (i.e. from the local peasantry), and are liable to take more than just that, if their commander is okay with such acts. So that is something I think is interesting to bring forward, even if only briefly.

As to the rest, I am glad you liked it as well, and you will have to wait and see to see how things shake out for Mubsamat and Zaadi. But we are nearing the moment of truth
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 11 - Part IV

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Chapter 11
    By Darkest Night

(Part V)

Crouching behind a low earthen wall, Zaadi waved a fly from his cheek as he gazed out on the long plain. It was already past noon, the shadows lengthening more and more with each passing hour, and still he and his men lay unfound. During the morning hours a bustle of activity had made him fear the worst, and as enemy scouts began riding this way and that he had been certain their plan had been discovered. Yet the distant horsemen had never approached, seeming content to tire themselves at the edge of the horizon, and Zaadi was still there, hidden from all eyes. Perhaps the gods were smiling upon him, and his designs might still come to bear fruit.

Zaadi raised a hand to shade his eyes, allowing him to more clearly see what lay ahead of him still. In the night he and his soldiers had traveled far, leaving only a small distance to their final goal, and with the morning's rush of men, the shepherds and farmers had fled from the open land. There would be no more boy with his flock to startle them in the night. But the emptiness meant danger as well, for upon the long blank flats they would be more visible, more exposed. Caution would be necessary at every step they took forward, but with care and a measure of luck, Zaadi could still have his victory. He only wished the cost had not needed to be so high.

The earlier fly returned to buzz and flit about before Zaadi's eyes, bringing a dozen comrades with it, and rather than batting at them through the rest of the afternoon, the Lord of the Northpass left the earthen wall to escape what had brought the winged pests before him.

Zaadi and his men had taken shelter in the buildings and walled-in fields of a wealthy farmstead, but it had not lain empty when they arrived there on the cusp of dawn. An aging man had kept the grounds with his wife and two sons, men grown with families of the own who were sleeping in other huts spread at far corners of the fields. Zaadi could not have known if the peasants would aid him or cry out, if they would see him as a liberator or traitor, and so he had given the only order he could. They had been asleep, and their deaths were made the easier for that, but as Zaadi walked past the piled corpses he was struck by the fact that an early death, even an easy one, was still early. For the old man and his sons, Zaadi could have swallowed his sentiments, putting on a cold face, but there were too many small hands sticking out of the heap of broken bodies just inside the farm's outer wall. The reek of death clung over everything, a smell of blood, loosed bowels, and the sickly sweet beginnings of decay, and it was that which had brought the flies that now plagued him.

Zaadi moved his feet quickly, hoping to regain the main house where he might escape the biting insects and the heat of the sun, and he forced his gaze down as he stepped past the ghastly remains. A minute later, he was stepping into the cool shade of a two-roomed building of baked clay.

His eyes were dazzled from the pounding sunlight outside, and at first he could see nothing. He took a step forward, farther into the house, closing the door behind him, and as his vision was slowly restored he noticed Karab sitting against the far wall. Zaadi walked silently to his captain and friend, and slid down onto the brushed earth floor beside him. There was a momentary flicker in Karab's gaze, before the younger man again shifted his blank eyes onto the cracked clay walls of the farmhouse.

"Will you still not speak to me?" Zaadi asked softly. No answer came, and he reached over to Karab, who shrank away without a sound.

"Karab, you cannot shut me out forever." Zaadi went on. "You and I are in this together, and together we must stay if we are to have any hope of victory."

"Victory?" Karab responded with a dry and mirthless chuckle. "There is no more victory, only a shrinking away from death. Death we now too readily deserve."

"You cannot say that." Zaadi replied. "We fight for something greater than ourselves, and if we fail, all of the upland plateau will be at the false queen's mercy, and at the mercy of those northerners she has brought amongst us. What we do is too important to be cast aside for mere sentiment."

At the last words Karab swung his gaze up to meet Zaadi's. "You were here Zaadi." he said with hunted eyes. "You were not out among the low thatched houses at the farm's ends. You did not hear the whimpers and screams of the little ones, their lowing voices begging against the dark. There is no more victory to be had."

Zaadi could see a yawning abyss behind Karab's eyes, and he stood, briefly considering whether he should leave the younger man there, go find another to be his captain. He then put the thought out of his mind. Karab had seen and done too much to easily shake the darkness within him, but even with a clouded conscience, he was the best man Zaadi had. Karab would have to regain himself. He would have to remember where his loyalties lay, what it was for which they were fighting.

"How old would your son be now?" Zaadi asked softly, looking down on Karab who still leaned against the wall.

"Don't." Karab answered. His jaw had tightened and his eyes were as chips of flint, hard and unforgiving.

"How long has it been? Three years? Four?"

"I said 'don't'."

"He was a good boy, a good man." Zaadi went on, ignoring Karab's words. "He did not deserve the death those Minaean raiders gave him." Zaadi turned a calculating stare to Karab, adding, "I still remember when you and I found his body. Your boy had his own warband by then. Such an honor at his age, but he had earned it. He was leading them out like a man, but there beneath the noonday sun it was plain to see that he was still in so many ways still a boy. Carrying a spear and bow, but not yet with a hair upon his chin. Such a bold boy. Karab's boy. Your only son, punched through and through by dozens of shafts. They must have used him for target practice once he was down. That is the only explanation. They killed him, and then desecrated his body for sport --"

"That's enough!" Karab snapped, springing to his feet and gripping the front of Zaadi's tunic so hard that his knuckles went white.

The other warriors in the house were staring at the pair of them, but Zaadi looked untroubled. In fact, there was a flame of victory dancing inside him. "It is not enough!" he answered coldly. "You and I hunted every last one of the men who killed your son, but it is not enough. You and your now dead brother, Hasan, slaughtered every Minaean that came within sight of the Sarat, but it is not enough. You know as well as I do that it will never be enough. Your boy is gone, the Minaeans to blame, and to spill their blood is all that we can do to honor his memory. But even now our people are making common cause with allies of those demons. The Nabati and the Minaeans are of the same stock, and the false queen wishes to let the lot of them into the lands of our home, the lands that should belong to your son. The lands that would have belonged to your son, had he not been taken from you. Do you mean to tell me that that is not something worth fighting against? Am I to believe that you will end your days knowing the devils who slaughtered your boy now roam his hills? Is that to be the end of Karab, the once-scourge of Ma'in?"

Karab's breathing was heavy, and though a deep anger was visibly swelling inside him, he looked uncertain as well, his eyes darting over the room, unwilling to remain still. After a moment more he began to regain his composure, and he fixed his gaze on Zaadi. "You were there for me that day, when my world was broken, and I told you then that I owed you a debt which could not easily be repaid. Know that what I did for you yesterday repaid that debt. Those bodies outside cleared the ledgers between you and I." Zaadi dipped his head in acknowledgment. "But you are right that I cannot allow Minaeans into our home while I yet live." Karab continued. "You know me too well, Zaadi. But know this too; what I do now, I do for my son's memory. I no longer owe you anything."

Again, Zaadi lowered his head to show Karab that he understood, but also to hide the tensing of his jaw, the subtle signs of irritation that had crept into his eyes. Karab would stand by him, yet the young captain seemed to have redrawn the lines between them. Karab had given himself a measure of authority he had not before had, and at such a time it troubled Zaadi.

While Zaadi was thinking over their shifting ties, Karab let go of Zaadi's tunic and began walking toward the door of the farmhouse. As he reached it he paused briefly and called over his shoulder. "Zaadi, would you do me a favor as well? Do something about those bodies. I cannot stand to see or smell them any longer."

"As you wish, old friend." Zaadi called after him.

The door closed with a low thump and Zaadi stared at the pocked wood where before his friend had stood, a single thought muttering at the back of his mind: Karab had given him an order.

Continue to Chapter 11 - Part VI
    Last edited by Kilo11; May 03, 2021 at 02:10 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Apr 18]

This is a powerful scene - the reactions of Zaadi and Karab to the horrific sights and smells, Karab's tension and Zaadi's recollection of what happened to those who called Karab's son.

The line "I no longer owe you anything" and the final line got me thinking about the relationship between Zaadi and Karab after these events, if they survive.

Content Emeritus

Indeed a powerful scene! It seems Zaadi has lost his rock to build on by pushing Karab out of oblivion. The Lord of the Northpass is cunning and Karab should be careful now that he has declared his intentions. I don't think friendship will save him from Zaadi's ambition. It is very clear he is willing to do anything to win, no matter the cost both personal and collective.

I extremely enjoyed this part!

This is a powerful scene - the reactions of Zaadi and Karab to the horrific sights and smells, Karab's tension and Zaadi's recollection of what happened to those who killed Karab's son.

The line "I no longer owe you anything" and the final line got me thinking about the relationship between Zaadi and Karab after these events, if they survive.
    Indeed a powerful scene! It seems Zaadi has lost his rock to build on by pushing Karab out of oblivion. The Lord of the Northpass is cunning and Karab should be careful now that he has declared his intentions. I don't think friendship will save him from Zaadi's ambition. It is very clear he is willing to do anything to win, no matter the cost both personal and collective.

I extremely enjoyed this part!
    Thanks Alwyn and Turk. I also liked this scene, and the exploration of Zaadi and Karab, and the relationship between them. There is a big sense in which they are our "baddies", but I don't want them to simply be blank villains for us to lay our hatred against. So I like bits like this, that show them as people, with their own histories and goals and little victories and crimes. I mean, this is me talking about my own writing (so take that as you will), but I think these types of things are important from the standpoint of making the tale really believable and real.

Also, while I appreciate Alwyn and Turk immensely for always being willing to show support, it would be lovely to hear from some of you other readers now and again. With each post there is a jump of a couple thousand views, and I am pretty sure that is not just Alwyn and Turk. So if you're reading this, I would love a shout out! Something you liked, something you hated, a suggestion or question. All things are welcome. Honestly, the big thing is just that the we writers here aren't getting paid or anything, and while I'd probably tell a story to an empty room if I had to, it is nice to know someone is listening. Especially given that I've been feeling a bit worn out with this of late, and could use some encouragement and pushing. So do please leave a comment if you are reading

Anyway, with the shameless begging dispensed with, onto the next installment!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 11 - Part V

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Chapter 11
    By Darkest Night

(Part VI)

Noon had long past, but the sun still hung high in the sky as Zaadi stepped out of the farmhouse with three other men. Two were sent to find shovels, returning quickly with a brace between them, and the small troop then crossed the short distance to where the farmers' bodies had been piled against the outer earthen wall that marked the fields' end. At once the men with Zaadi began digging, but the Lord of the Northpass did not join them in their labor. Instead, he stepped past the reeking mound and then continued walking, following the outer circuit of the fields.

On his right hand lay the low walls that penned in the farm's lands, the baked bricks dropped a full pace into the soil to keep the precious seasonal rains inside the tilled grounds as long as possible. On his left lay the ripening crops themselves. Zaadi swept his gaze over them, noting the holes and tramped areas that marked the presence of his men. As many as possible had stuffed themselves into the huts and outbuildings, seeking to escape the sun, but there was not enough room for them all, and many more lay languidly on the damp earth. Looking over them, Zaadi tallied their numbers in his head, and his lips pursed. He had enough, he was nearly sure, but even so, they were still so few. From that first night on the palace walls so long before, when first he challenged Mubsamat, he had known men would die. Yet never had he imagined such a devastation of his and Karab's tribes. It was on account of Mubsamat, and her allies. In the single battle before his citadel, Zaadi had watched over half his warriors be buried. All that because he had dared to stand up and fight, to resist the false queen and the fools who followed her, men like Tharin and the now dead half-blood cur Far'am.

My man? Far'am Rafshan was never my man.

Mubsamat's words came unbidden to Zaadi's mind, and in answer his eyes narrowed. The false queen was a liar, and devious beyond reckoning, but Zaadi still wondered if she had spoken the truth that night, when he had met her in her tent outside his fortress. What if Zaadi had been wrong in killing Far'am, in bringing the half-Qatabani's tribes to him in vengeance? Did that matter? Did that put him in the wrong? If that first great slaughter had been his doing, did that make him the enemy?

No, he thought with finality. The queen had started all of this when she set herself as regent of the Saba', sending out emissaries to the Nabati against the wishes of the other lords. She thought she could will herself atop the empty throne at Ma'rib, making herself ruler of the confederated tribes, but the upland peoples had no wish to be ruled. Zaadi understood that. After all, that was why he fought. Yet still he wondered if, when all was said and done, there might be one who could lead them. When the false queen was finally cast down, there would be room for a strong hand to guide the clans forward, and there was no reason why Zaadi might not be that hand. He would give them their freedom, autonomy in their little spheres of power, and it would only be right that they repay him in return. Zaadi could then turn them against Ma'in, Qataban, and perhaps even the haggard northmen that roamed his hills, those Nabati. He could make the Saba' powerful and respected, and along the way exact vengeance on those nearby realms which had so long plotted and schemed against his homeland. All debts might be repaid in time. All score settled.

It was a good dream, and Zaadi spent the waning light of day going over it again and again, planning which clans would be raised, which would fall, until finally the sun set and light began draining from the world. In the deepening dusk he then gathered his men, calling them from their places in the huts and out on the fields where they had whiled away the day. He gave them their orders, and the column began moving silently from the farm, passing the mound of loose dirt that covered their latest prey and slipping into the night, on toward their next victims. Ahead of them fires were being kindled, the enemy's beacons which would guide Zaadi on his way. It would only be a little while longer, and then Mubsamat's grip on the clans would be broken. The winds of change were blowing, and Zaadi almost fancied he could taste a hint of blood being carried on their breezes.

Continue to Chapter 11 - Part VII
    Last edited by Kilo11; May 16, 2021 at 01:30 PM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: May 3]

Also, while I appreciate Alwyn and Turk immensely for always being willing to show support, it would be lovely to hear from some of you other readers now and again. With each post there is a jump of a couple thousand views, and I am pretty sure that is not just Alwyn and Turk. So if you're reading this, I would love a shout out! Something you liked, something you hated, a suggestion or question. All things are welcome. Honestly, the big thing is just that the we writers here aren't getting paid or anything, and while I'd probably tell a story to an empty room if I had to, it is nice to know someone is listening. Especially given that I've been feeling a bit worn out with this of late, and could use some encouragement and pushing. So do please leave a comment if you are reading
    I know what you talk about. Believe me, I do. Silence can be deafening, as ironic as it sounds. Know this: there are many people who enjoy your story. The silent reader makes up ~90%. Rest are bots and commenters. As once said before, just in other words, now more clear: it unfortunately seems like the world cares little about the story itself, only that it is at the right place at the right time, under the right circumstances. I hate that. And I hate J.K. Rowling. But the story how she made Harry Potter public might be inspiring. Google that, if you don't know it.

I can only speak for myself, but I like your story, especially in summer times. Sitting there in the garden, on a silent weekend, sun shining on you; a bright blue sky, reading these carefully crafted stories about struggles in an alternate world; in a whole other time - all while listening to equally well crafted oriental music. Sorry, but yeah, you yourself are 'faulty' for have made that possible. Have a +rep for that.

As also once said before: I am a bad reader. Because of that, I do not read single updates, but whole chapters on a batch. That's what chapters are for after all, aren't they? Let me say that you mastered the art of chapters. Every chapter feels like a little secluded part of a grander story. Only question is: where might every character end up? Not just Mun'at, but everyone else. I can only see disaster coming in your story, in a positive negative way, and I love it. For it proves that I care about the characters. Not just one of them, but most of them. No , I demand you to publish that book.

Currently I struggle to be able to read anything; let alone with finally writing the conclusion of my own AAR. But believe me: I'll read all these updates when the time is right, in bright summer days; the situation as described before. And I know that I'll most likely party you again, putting another big response dump in your thread. Has it been half a year already? Oh god.
    Last edited by Derc; May 03, 2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: screw these censorship smileys. I haven't said anything bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    I know what you talk about. Believe me, I do. Silence can be deafening, as ironic as it sounds. Know this: there are many people who enjoy your story. The silent reader makes up ~90%. Rest are bots and commenters. As once said before, just in other words, now more clear: it unfortunately seems like the world cares little about the story itself, only that it is at the right place at the right time, under the right circumstances. I hate that. And I hate J.K. Rowling. But the story how she made Harry Potter public might be inspiring. Google that, if you don't know it.
    Ah, Derc. It is always nice to see you around here. And I know you've said the first thing before. I always try to keep that in mind, and I think at an intellectual level I do actually have that lodged pretty tightly upstairs (I mean, the number of views pops by a couple thousand with each update, so someone must be reading, even if some "views" are just me doing the upload, or bots roaming the pages). However, it is a (sometimes unfortunate) fact that knowing something and feeling something aren't the same. Just seeing you around has brightened my day though!

J.K. Rowling. Ugh. I am with that on that count dude. I tried reading Harry Potter in fifth grade, when it was all the hype, and I was the "right" age, and no part of me was interested. Granted, I had just (like, really just) finished reading the Lord of the Rings, and in comparison Harry Potter is honestly a freaking joke. But I even tried again a bit later, and was still very unimpressed. My only hope for this book is that the world will become interested in it at some point. I think a couple years ago it could have been a bestseller (events in the Middle East had a lot of people interested in the region and culture), but I fear that time might have passed. Maybe it'll come again. Who knows. Worst case scenario, I can leave everything as it is, but change the locational and historical names to made-up ones, and sell it as a sort of "fantasy" book (but without any monsters or magic).

I can only speak for myself, but I like your story, especially in summer times. Sitting there in the garden, on a silent weekend, sun shining on you; a bright blue sky, reading these carefully crafted stories about struggles in an alternate world; in a whole other time - all while listening to equally well crafted oriental music. Sorry, but yeah, you yourself are 'faulty' for have made that possible. Have a +rep for that.
    Thanks dude! I always love hearing about your reading experience. It sounds lovely, and is maybe something I should do now and again to get myself back into my writing.

As also once said before: I am a bad reader. Because of that, I do not read single updates, but whole chapters on a batch. That's what chapters are for after all, aren't they? Let me say that you mastered the art of chapters. Every chapter feels like a little secluded part of a grander story.
    Nah. You're not a bad reader. And that is what chapters are for. Plus, it is really cool to me to hear that the chapters work well as chapters. As you know, I am actually writing this more like a book, so chaptering is an important division, and the updates are more just me finding reasonable spots to break things so that an update doesn't take all day to read.

So you know though, I remember that you like to read them in a go, and I have been planning on sending you a message from now on when I finish a chapter. So when the current chapter has its last update up, you'll get a little notice

Only question is: where might every character end up? Not just Mun'at, but everyone else. I can only see disaster coming in your story, in a positive negative way, and I love it. For it proves that I care about the characters. Not just one of them, but most of them. No , I demand you to publish that book.
    That is the best of compliments! I won't say anything more about your comment, cause I don't want to taint any future reading, but I love that you care about them!

Currently I struggle to be able to read anything; let alone with finally writing the conclusion of my own AAR. But believe me: I'll read all these updates when the time is right, in bright summer days; the situation as described before. And I know that I'll most likely party you again, putting another big response dump in your thread. Has it been half a year already? Oh god.
    I'll be waiting, dude! I love your big response dumps. There is always a load of interesting stuff, and the irregularity of them makes them kind of eventful for me!

Anyway, it's good to have you here Derc, and I'll always be looking forward to those moments when you come in for a chat.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

You said that you wanted to show the 'baddies' as "people, with their own histories and goals and little victories and crimes" - this comes across brilliantly in the latest update, as I read about Zaadi's hopes and his dream for his people. The detail about why he fights is a nice one, and the combination of debts repaid and scores settled is effective phrasing (should it be 'scores' rather than 'score' in the last line of of the punultimate paragraph? I'm sorry for being pedantic!). The tension is building and I'm excited about seeing what happens next.

Content Emeritus

As Alwyn said, this part really debunks the villainry of Zaadi. He is only the "baddie" because he is pitted against the protagonist of the story, not because of a villainous nature. His motivations are just (in his eyes and in the eyes of many others) and pure in nature. On the other hand this part also shows how ambition can corrupt those very ideals. By casting Mubsamat down Zaadi would become the new Mubsamat. There are but few people who walk away from ultimate power when it's for the taking.

A quiet reflective part which I liked very much.

You are not alone in this. It can be quite disheartening. Equally it can be extremely heartwarming to see a familiar face turn up in your thread. I remember when Derc first posted in my thread or when you messaged me that you had started reading my story, it gave me such a boost of joy. It's like you said, the smallest things can make you happy even if it is a hello from those that are reading.

You said that you wanted to show the 'baddies' as "people, with their own histories and goals and little victories and crimes" - this comes across brilliantly in the latest update, as I read about Zaadi's hopes and his dream for his people. The detail about why he fights is a nice one, and the combination of debts repaid and scores settled is effective phrasing (should it be 'scores' rather than 'score' in the last line of of the punultimate paragraph? I'm sorry for being pedantic!). The tension is building and I'm excited about seeing what happens next.
    Thanks, Alwyn! I thought these last few updates would paint an interesting picture of things. Mun'at and crew have been gone for a while (they're doing the same ol' "recruit tribes, wander about" thing), and I figured since the meat of the story now hinges on the Saba', we'd switch to more exclusively them. And the interactions between Zaadi's and Mubsamat's gangs are indeed enlightening about them all as characters. So I'm glad you are all liking this

As to the error, many thanks for spotting it! And never apologize for being pedantic! We all need fresh eyes to find the mistakes at some point, and I love having an easy fix to iron out

As Alwyn said, this part really debunks the villainry of Zaadi. He is only the "baddie" because he is pitted against the protagonist of the story, not because of a villainous nature. His motivations are just (in his eyes and in the eyes of many others) and pure in nature. On the other hand this part also shows how ambition can corrupt those very ideals. By casting Mubsamat down Zaadi would become the new Mubsamat. There are but few people who walk away from ultimate power when it's for the taking.

A quiet reflective part which I liked very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    It's nice when people say "Hi", and show they care...
    You are not alone in this. It can be quite disheartening. Equally it can be extremely heartwarming to see a familiar face turn up in your thread. I remember when Derc first posted in my thread or when you messaged me that you had started reading my story, it gave me such a boost of joy. It's like you said, the smallest things can make you happy even if it is a hello from those that are reading.
    Yeah, Zaadi is having a hard time quite squaring away the "nobleness" of his intentions, but he is definitely not some callous power-hungry monster. There is something there, and it is very human, very flawed, and very likely to be more tragedy than anything else when all is said and done. I guess for me, a story with real-world violence like this should always be a tragedy. Sure, there might be proper villains here and there (remember Chapter 3, with the brigands Mun'at iced...), but the greatest share of the cast will always just be folk. And watching them die should make us all weep a little.

I hear you on the niceness of hearing a friendly word! It really can make a huge difference. And speaking of me posting on your thread, you got any news for you next update? I know you had some stuff in the works, and I am still waiting to see where they'll ford the Anduin. (My money is on Cair Andros, but I am not sure how they will get the garrison commander there to let them through... )
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 11 - Part VI

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Chapter 11
    By Darkest Night

(Part VII)

Another day of fruitless searching had ended, and Mubsamat was back at her tent, standing at the open outer flap and staring over the dusky plain. She had planned to wash herself when the light faded, a wide basin of steaming water made ready for that purpose, but she could not bring herself to take her eyes off the dark landscape that surrounded her. Zaadi had challenged her, setting the open flats west of Qarnawu as their battleground. He had dared her to fight him, and so he must come. He had no more choice in the matter. But knowing Zaadi, Mubsamat knew there would be a trick. There would be a plan, a deception, something to give him an edge. That was Zaadi's way. He had courage and strength, despite whatever Tharin might think, and Zaadi had honor enough to look you in the eyes while he killed you, but he would never come at someone head-on if he could avoid it. A flicker on the horizon might catch your eye, and then, while you were distracted, he would come at you sideways, slipping a knife between your ribs while you were still trying to understand how he had even gotten so close. That was the Zaadi she knew.

A gust of wind rippled through the camp, and as it slid around Mubsamat's legs she briefly shivered.

"There is nothing more to be done this day." Tharin said from behind her, stepping close and laying a blanket across her shoulders.

Mubsamat continued to stare out, oblivious of the mood of her captain and lover. "He is out there, somewhere." she said, half to herself.

"How can you be so sure?" Tharin answered.

"I know him, Tharin." Mubsamat replied. "He has something planned. He always has something planned."

"Hmph. If you ask me, he is a rash fool."

"Oh, he is that too, to be sure, but when he calms his spirit, he can be as devious as... well... as devious as me. He has something planned."

Tharin took Mubsamat gently by the shoulder and turned her to face him. "If he does have something planned, we will find him out. Either he fights us here, and is destroyed, or he runs, and we hound him to the very ends of the earth. But either way, he is done and as good as dead. You are my Queen, and I swear to you that Zaadi will not best us. Not tonight, nor tomorrow, nor ever. That is my oath to you."

With the last words Tharin lowered himself to his knees, dipping his head in supplication, and Mubsamat let out a small but honest laugh. "Ah, I do so love when you play the noble." she said, a smile in her eyes. "Come. Let us go to bed. I will sleep more soundly with you beside me, knowing that on your honor Zaadi can come nowhere near us."

Night had closed about them, and Zaadi could see ahead the mound of light that marked their quarry. He and his men had slipped through the thin net of outer sentries, piercing to their enemy's heart, and he needed only now to take that final step, to reach out with his hand and snatch what should have been his, what the false queen had stolen.

Zaadi knew that they had passed the point of true danger, for even if their foes found them now, there would be little enough time to set a proper defense against his men. Yet still he moved his force cautiously. After all, unexpected or not, they were few in number, and he could not afford to squander the little strength that remained to him. He looked left and right along his line and nodded for them to continue, but as he turned his gaze forward again a cowl passed over his countenance. He had not seen Karab.

As they had departed the farm earlier, Zaadi had looked for his captain, finally finding Karab at the center of a huddle of his own tribesmen, and though the younger man had seemed more himself, Zaadi still felt there was a coldness and distance in him. Karab answered the questions asked of him, received his orders without question, but gone were the points of counsel or the subtle marks of camaraderie. Zaadi had his captain back, but he could not find his friend. And then, as they crossed the final distance through the dark, he had lost sight of Karab entirely. The man should have been beside him, his strong right arm to help cut through the queen's allies, yet Zaadi could see him nowhere in the line.

With a shake of his head Zaadi tried to push the worry to the back of his mind and focus on the present. They were moving quickly, but carefully, a whispering shadow slithering over the black plain, while ahead of them the mess of fires, torches, and lamps grew ever larger. Soon enough, they were close enough that the press of illumination was spilling onto the plain itself, daring to betray their movements, and Zaadi gave a low whistle signaling them to quicken their feet. The Houthi and Hashidi warriors began jogging, long loping strides eating up the remaining space until, a hundred paces from their goal, they came to a shallow ditch with a trickle of water running along its base.

They slid down into the water and mud nearly as one, the splash of so many feet sending out a wet susurrus of sound. In the still of night it seemed an impossibly loud noise, and Zaadi held up a hand for still. Three, seven, ten seconds they waited, crouched in the clinging filth, straining to hear whether they had been noticed, whether a watchmen would cry out. Then slowly, Zaadi alone lifted his eyes above the rim of the crude trench, taking a final view before the battle that was about to begin.

He had sent a challenge to Mubsamat. He had dared her to fight him, marking a time and place for their contest, and like a housebroken mongrel she had obeyed. With nearly all the might of the clans allied to her, she had gone to the dusty plain outside Qarnawu to await Zaadi's pleasure. Well, for all he cared, she could stay there. He would take the true prize. He would take the heart of Saba', and with it hold the wives, sons, and daughters of the tribesmen upon whom Mubsamat relied. Then she could test just how loyal they were. With their loved ones in Zaadi's hands, Mubsamat could see how long the sheiks and sharifs of the hundred clans would follow her.

The watchmen's fires atop the stone walls were reflected in Zaadi's eyes as he gazed hungrily upon Ma'rib. Mubsamat had emptied the city of its strength, leaving only a paltry garrison to protect it, and the Lord of the Northpass was ready to show her the error of her ways. The capital of the Saba' would be his.

Continue to Chapter 12 - Part I
    Last edited by Kilo11; June 21, 2021 at 02:06 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources