Thread: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 29]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 29]

Hey everyone,

This is my first AAR (After Action Report; i.e. a story-like recounting of a game) so if you like it please be sure to recommend it further to anyone you know who might be interested. Also, I am always very happy for any feedback, be it small things you notice that should be corrected, larger aspects of plot/character that you think could be done better, or even just a simple "I liked it, especially that one bit where..." Furthermore, don't feel like you need to be careful when critiquing anything; I place a high value on open clear communication, and trying to make a critique "polite" often just makes it hard to follow.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's start to dig in.

Motivation and General Info about the AAR

I am an amateur writer and long-time player of the TW series, especially the mods that really dig into the history, and only just recently realized that using a campaign as a backdrop could be a very nice (not to mention easy [comparatively speaking]) way to write a story; you start with characters who have developed personality traits and familial lines, and you can simply follow them on their grand adventures. In that spirit, this AAR will be written in a novel-like form, only following the exploits of one general and his part in the birth of an empire. The AAR will be broken into separate "chapters" and "parts" which will generally cover single arcs of the character's story. In general, think of it as a book, with things having about that pacing and separation. As with any writing which is posted/published as it's being written, any thoughts or suggestions after each post are most welcome and will be incorporated into future installments.

Settings

• Faction: Malkuta Nabatu (Nabataea)
    • Campaign Difficulty: Hard
    • Battle Difficulty: Medium
    • Manage all Settlements: On
    • Battle time limit: On

Notes/Questions for the Reader

• Images: EBII is masterfully done, and while playing the imagery is just lovely. However, once a still shot has been taken, it becomes pretty clear just how old the Medieval II engine is. For that reason, images will be put in using different games and/or more "artsy" compositions from myself or another (credits will always be given for outside work, so you can rep accordingly!). As of now, there are very few pictures, but I aim to remedy this as soon as possible.
    • Names (places, groups, people): I will use as many as I can find that are period relevant (Safaitic and Hismaic, both of which according to my research fall under the heading "Old Arabic", seem to be the dominant languages of Arabic Palestine, north Arabia, and the Hejaz regions), but I will supplement these with modern Arabic names. If anyone reading is knowledgeable in Old Arabic or any of the particular languages or regions, and knows a more appropriate name or naming scheme for some particular item, I'd be very happy to hear them. Also, when I use the Old Arabic names for places/people that may be known to readers under other contemporary names, I will put the contemporary counterpart in a small glossary at the end of the post.
    • Sectioning: For ease of reading I will split the chapters into between four and seven parts, so that no single post is too long or burdensome. However, the underlying intent is for a single chapter to be read as a single chapter, so bear that in mind if it seems like a "part" breaks off before it should; if that irritates you just keep reading.

Glossary

I noticed that in McScottish's AAR he included a glossary in the first post to explain certain terms that might be less well known or that might be known under other names. Given that I use many region appropraite naming schemes which are less known, I feel that might be useful here as well. So, here is a glossary of useful terms to help you with following what's going on.

Glossary
    --------------------------------------------------
    Elath: local antique name for Aqaba
    Harra/Hauran/Hawran: a volcanic field stretching from southeastern Syria through to northwestern Arabia
    Hijaz: also known as the "Barrier Hills", a ridgeline running along much of the west coast of Arabia
    Hisma: a region of northwestern Arabia, including the settlement of Tabuk
    Lihyan(ites): the name of the region/people inhabiting parts of northwestern Arabia, just southeast of the main Nabataean territory of Petra
    Rabi'ah: an ethnic branch of Arab people inhabiting many portions of Arabia, most notably the eastern shores and lower Mesopotamia, but also running inland to the borders of Syria
    Rekem: local name for Petra
    Wadi Arabah: watershed between the Gulf of Aqaba and the Dead Sea
    Wadi Ithm: watershed leading to the Gulf of Aqaba from inland near Wadi Rum
    Wadi Musa: watershed leading from Petra to Wadi Arabah, named for Moses who is said to have traveled that route
    Wadi Rum: also known as the "Valley of the Moon", a watershed just east of Elath

Map

In order to have an easy reference point for where things are going on, I have included two maps I made that cover the important areas of the AAR (so far). The first is a large map of Arabia, to provide general overview, and the second is a zoomed-in map of southern Arabia, covering the heartland of the Saba', as well as the surrounding areas.

Arabia

Arabia Felix

One final note: At some point in time I think I may like to try to get this story published, so any thoughts on that (probably at a much later date) would also be welcome. Now, without further ado, let us have a look into the desert.

Table of Contents
    --------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 1: Out of Edum
    Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII

Chapter 2: First Moves
    Part I