Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 29]

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: May 17]

That is very true, you can't please everyone. As long as you are pleased with what you have written I would say that's enough but that's just my opinion.

I agree with Alwyn, Tharin's struggles and inner thoughts are very well-versed. Although I think Mun'at knows Tharin is lying or at least up to something. Looking forward to what Mun'at has to say.

minor
    Just a small typo
    In paragraph 4, second sentence you wrote Min'at instead of Mun'at

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Your account of Tharin's rage and inner conflict is well done. Even acting instinctively, without a plan, Tharin seems to be serving his people well. I think Tharin made a good argument, I wonder if Mun'at thinks so too (it seems that he does).
    Thanks Alwyn. Tharin indeed did well in that bit, and caught a bit of luck as well, given that diplomacy and clever lies aren't really his specialty. But to whether or not Mun'at believes him, you will have to wait till the next update. Lucky for you, I'm posting it now

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    I agree with Alwyn, Tharin's struggles and inner thoughts are very well-versed. Although I think Mun'at knows Tharin is lying or at least up to something. Looking forward to what Mun'at has to say.

minor
    Just a small typo
    In paragraph 4, second sentence you wrote Min'at instead of Mun'at
    I like your instincts Turk! I won't confirm or deny anything, but your suspicion here makes me happy about how I have presented things up to now, because I believe I have laid the foundations for that suspicion well. At any rate, I want the reader to think roughly what you are thinking, that something more is going on than what meets the eye. Whether that is indeed the case will have to be seen as the intrigues on the Saba' plateau play out, but there is definitely an underlying current of distrust running between these people.

Also, thanks for the catch!

That is very true, you can't please everyone. As long as you are pleased with what you have written I would say that's enough but that's just my opinion.
    This is something I think all writers need to keep in mind at all points. You need to know exactly why you are writing (for yourself, for some particular audience, to reach as many people as possible, etc). And using the knowledge of who your target is, you will then need to make some hard choices. For example, if I wanted this to be a young adults book, then I would almost certainly have to cut a couple things, and add a lot of other things. If I wanted this to be a more historical "historical fiction" book, then I'd need to add more details here and there. The main thing is that you need to know who you want to reach, and then think about what things that group may or may not want to see. For me, the differing opinions on Mubsamat's near-rape scene (Ch. 3, Part IV, I believe) were instructive to hear, because it made me realize such a thing might induce such an array of reactions from a generalist audience. The negative thoughts on it don't necessitate that I change anything, but they show ways in which people might be turned off of a piece, and also highlight ways I could avoid that (the main objection was not about rape, per se, but rather about our only female character being put in such a weak position, so I could meet the objection without changing the scene by just giving Mubsamat a bit more strong scenes before that one). So, all told, I think while we shouldn't ever try to please everyone (how could you even?), it is good to know why some people aren't pleased, as that might be reason for you to change things. And sometimes only small changes are needed to make someone happy, so why not.

Anyway, now back to the story!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Continued from Chapter 7 - Part II

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Mun'at Ha'Qadri: General of the Nabati army, tasked with uniting the tribes of Arabia and subduing the Saba' confederations that control Arabia Felix.
    Shullai Ha'Maleki: Prince of the Nabati, riding south under Mun'at's command.
    Ravîv'êl Bikrum: Crown Prince of the Nabati. Currently governing the conquered settlement of Dedan.
    Malka Qênu: King of the Nabati, and leader of the united tribes.

Rana'in: Elder warrior and long-time friend of Mun'at.
    Khalil: Raider under Mun'at's command, usually tasked with leading the cavalry and light skirmishers.
    Haza'el: Captain of the Nabati.
    Wayyuq: A spy and pathfinder in the service of the Nabati, but not of their tribe.

Sabeans (Saba'):

Mubsamat: Queen of the Saba' with ambitions to end the tribal rivalries that plague her people.
    Tharin: Captain of Mubsamat's guard, tasked with contacting the approaching Nabati on Mubsamat's behalf and bringing them over to her cause.
    Zaadi Il'Bayyin: Often referred to as "Lord of the Northpass", Zaadi is a Qayl (higher official) of the Saba', and the ringleader of a group of nobles arrayed against Mubsamat.
    Halik Il'Yakif: Landowner and noble of the Saba' who initially followed Zaadi's plans but has since been turned by Mubsamat.
    Far'am Rafshan: Half-Qatabani exile who was in league with Zaadi Il'Bayyin, until Zaadi killed him.
    Karab: Son of the Athtar Yazi' clan and great leader of the Hashidi warriors of the northern plateau. He is also in league with Zaadi against Mubsamat.
    Hasan: Deceased brother of Karab.

Chapter 7
    Drawing the Net

--------------------------------------------------
    (Part III)

After a long night of councils and quiet debates, Mun'at woke the next morning tired, with heavy rings beneath his eyes. He stepped out of his nomad's home, feeling haggard and spent, but his spirits rose ever so slightly as he looked on the waking land about him. Dawn had only just kissed the higher peaks to the west, the rising sun brushing them with fire and gold, and between them and the Saba' capital the valley lay in cool shadow, a low mist clinging to the earth, to the fields and orchards.

Mun'at rubbed his hands over his face, brushing the sand of sleep from the corners of his eyes, and he began walking through the Nabati camp, in the direction of the walls of Ma'rib. Around him men and women were emerging from their tents to begin the new day. They went to fetch water or stoke the low embers of the previous night's fires, that they might bake their daily bread, and as the General of Edum moved between them, he allowed himself to stop often to share brief words with those he knew. After so many months together upon the march, Mun'at had become acquainted with many of the soldiers and their families, and so his progress was slow. However, the casually exchanged pleasantries did him well, scouring from his mind some measure of the worry and care of the previous evening, and he gladly halted by each friendly face he encountered.

Perhaps an hour after he had awoken, Mun'at finally gained the last outer tents of the Nabati encampment, and he looked out on the walls of Ma'rib. By Greek or Roman standards they were petty things, squat lines of stacked stone and little more, but they were the most impressive battlements Mun'at had ever seen. The heart of the Saba' capital was the fortress and palace on the hill, a fist of red sandstone looming above the surrounding city, the houses below huddled against its flanks like children about the last candle on a moonless night. And beyond the outermost buildings lay the curtain walls that had protected Ma'rib for over three centuries. They were fifteen feet high and four deep, with a flattened crest wide enough for an ox-cart to move over it. Spaced regularly were low wooden huts set atop the battlements, each one pierced by a great many arrow slats, and the few high-arched gates that afforded entry to the city were constantly watched by keen-eyed archers unmatched by any other throughout southern Arabia.

As Mun'at looked on the city and its defences, he silently thanked the gods for having sent Tharin to him. The Nabati could surely have taken Ma'rib by force, if such had been necessary, but an attack on the Saba' capital would have been a bloody affair indeed. Yet as friends of the tribes of the high plateau, the northerners could enter the walled settlement in peace, bringing that bastion of power to the banners of Edum without need for such violence. They could bring Ma'rib into the fold, and then surely the rest of the Saba' cities would follow suit.

With such optimistic thoughts running through his mind, Mun'at continued to look out, until his gaze fell on something which he had as yet somehow failed to notice. Midway between the city and the Nabati encampment there stretched a wide canopy dyed the deep orange of the Saba' standard, its edges fluttering lightly in the gentle morning breeze. Mun'at could make out a shape beneath it, a single individual sitting upon the earth, but from such a distance he could not be sure who it was. Curiosity rising within him, he raised a hand to shade his eyes against the rising sun, when suddenly from behind him he heard a man's voice.

"My Queen awaits you."

The general turned to look over his shoulder and saw Tharin standing a few paces away. In answer to the captain's words, Mun'at gave a half-quizzical look. However, no further explanation came, and so Mun'at began walking toward the city and the waiting Mubsamat.

The queen's pavilion was not far distant and the Commander of Edum stepped briskly, seeming momentarily to have forgotten the fatigues of the previous night. He walked with his back straight, his chin held high in self-assurance, and in an instant he had reached the square of shaded ground. Then, there on the brink, Mun'at paused for the briefest of moments, before taking the final steps into the queen's presence.

At first he could make out little beneath the wide awning, for his vision had been dazzled by the low sun on the eastern horizon. However, Mun'at's eyes adjusted quickly, and looking about himself, he saw richly-woven rugs spread over the bare earth, low tables scattered artfully atop them, and near the canvas structure's center he saw the Queen, Mubsamat, waiting for him. From his conversations with Tharin, Mun'at felt certain that the captain of the Saba' bore some passion for the woman, and finally seeing her for himself, the northern general could understand why. She was fair beyond reckoning, her lips tracing a smile that was somehow both gentle as the breath of dawn and dangerous as a lioness. Her jaw was sharp, and even seated, she was clearly an imposing figure of womanhood. Yet most of all, Mubsamat wove about herself an air of strength and power unshakable, the quiet markers of which lent an added glamor to her already staggering beauty. She was alluring and fascinating, yet behind her eyes there ran deep currents of unimaginable force, and a will that was terrible in its fury and relentlessness. She was a force of nature.

"Be seated, good General!" the queen said from her place on the floor. Mun'at complied without complaint, but he silently noted that while Munbsamat's tone was kind, she had not asked him to sit, but rather ordered him to do so, calmly and casually, as though it was her right.

As Mun'at lowered himself to the Saba' queen's level, he locked his eyes with hers, but he did not speak. Instead, he waited patiently, certain that she would break the lengthening silence. After all, she had come to him, and so she must have had something of import worth saying. However, as the still seconds stretched between them, the Commander of Edum slowly began to become unsure of his estimation of the woman. She had spoken first, betraying something of herself with that act, but she now seemed content to bide her time. She gazed on him with calculating eyes, weighing and measuring him, and Mun'at grew increasingly uncomfortable.

The General of the Nabati began to squirm inside himself, but he fixed his face with a mask of confidence and ease, daring the queen to try him further, when all of a sudden Mubsamat let off. She lightly turned her head to one side, and slyly looking at Mun'at from the corners of her eyes, she flashed a smile of mischief and honest mirth.

"Forgive my bluntness, son of Edum, but I must say, I believe I like you." she said gaily, a whisper of laughter making her words seem playful.

"I beg your pardon, Queen?" Mun'at answered without thinking, puzzlement making him forget for the moment any pretense of guarding his words or thoughts.

"You are twice as clever as Tharin gives you credit for." she continued with a nod of approval. "That much is plain to see. And I always have delighted in clever men."

"I am as I am." Mun'at replied coolly, regaining mastery of himself.

Smiling, Mubsamat stared upon him for a moment in silence, before concluding, "You are indeed." Her gaze then briefly fell to the earth, and as suddenly as it had come, all trace of joy slipped from her features. "However, as I am sure you must know," she went on, "I did not come here this day merely to trade pleasantries or finally see you with mine own eyes, though I am glad to have done so. I came to speak with you about a war that is even now raging in these lands, something which I believe Tharin has told you of already."

"Your captain wishes for my people to aid you. He said that if we do not, the Saba' will never trust the Nabati."

"Yes. I know." Mubsamat replied smoothly. "After Tharin spoke with you last night, he sent one of his men to come find me." She looked away from Mun'at, her eyes resting on the tents of the Nabati encampment, and when she continued her words came more softly. "My captain is bold and courageous, but is seldom careful with his tongue. He feared that he might have spoken rashly with you, that he may have been out of turn, and so he asked for me to come to you myself, to explain the fullness of my people's need."

"And what, then, do you need?" Mun'at asked, watching Mubsamat carefully. "What is the state of this land, and of your power over it?"

Mubsamat's gaze flicked back to Mun'at, piercing him with a searching look. "The Saba' here are united, more so than they have been for generations," she said bluntly, "and there is no noble now within Ma'rib who would dare raise arms against another."

"Yet blood is spilled nonetheless." Mun'at pressed.

"Yes. Blood is spilled nonetheless." repeated Mubsamat. "There is a group of nobles, lords of the clans that dwell upon the flanks of the northern mountains, and they have rebelled against the order that reigns in Saba'. And they have done this because of you, because of the Nabati."

"Because of us?" Mun'at said with a mark incredulity.

"Yes." Mubsamat went on. "When my people first learned of your army gathering in the north, there arose fierce debates as to how we should respond. My allies and I wished to extend our friendship, to work with you to unite Arabia, and as you came ever nearer we won more and more nobles to our cause. But there are some among the Saba' who will never look kindly upon you, for in your men and women they see only cousins to the Minaeans, our customary enemies, who by your actions may now become our friends. When they gaze upon you, they see nothing but unwashed desert tribals, and when they learned that I, through Tharin, had joined my people to your cause, they rebelled."

Mubsamat's words were riddled with lies, but there were enough half-truths mixed amongst them for her to weave a tale that rang honest. The Nabati's actions had caused debate and turmoil in the Saba' court, and Mubsamat's allies had indeed extended the olive branch to the army of Edum, leading to Zaadi's seditious deeds. It mattered little that at first the only allies to Mubsamat were Tharin and his men, guards directly under the Queen's own command. And it was likewise of little consequence that Zaadi only wished to fight the Queen herself, rather than the Nabati. She only needed Mun'at to believe her long enough for him to join the conflict, and then the Lord of the Northpass would be an enemy of all.

Mun'at looked on Mubsamat in silence, considering what she had said. He knew only what he had heard from her and Tharin, and had little reason to doubt the sincerity of either's words, yet the Queen had let slip a phrase that troubled the Commander of Edum. She had said that her enemies could see in the Nabati nothing more than cousins to the Minaeans, unwashed desert tribals. But thinking back on all that had transpired since the Nabati first met the Saba' outside Bakkah, Mun'at could remember only one man who seemed ill at ease among the northerners, and that was Tharin. The captain often spoke kindly, and he had repeatedly aided the army of Edum in its endeavors, but on various occasions he had also betrayed an unspoken distrust and distaste for them. More than that, at the battle of Najran Tharin had urged Mun'at to continue fighting even after the Minarans had surrendered, hoping to slaughter them rather than accept their peaceful submission. And when Mun'at refused, the captain had stormed away with dark brows, his actions speaking volumes in that moment. The Queen might well have spoken honestly, and the Saba' rebels would rather secede than stand beside northern men, but Mun'at feared there was an individual of similar sentiment already within his ranks.

As Mun'at thought these things, the silence between him and Mubsamat had lengthened, and perhaps fearing she had made some miscalculation, the Queen spoke again. "Please, General of Edum," she said, "do not mistake my words for an accusation. I am glad you are here, and I wished only to tell you in honesty what the state of this land is."

"It is alright, Saba' Queen." he replied gently. He then looked deeply into her eyes, searching with a hunter's gaze, before adding, "And we will help you restore order in these lands. Truth be told, we would have aided you even without yours and Tharin's words, for we are bound together in friendship, and that is something my people do not lightly forsake. For good or ill, the fates of our nations are now as one.

"And Saba' Queen," Mun'at added as an afterthought, "I am not your commander, and so you need not call me 'general'. My name is Mun'at Ha'Qadri."

"Well met, Mun'at." she replied with a smile, adding, "And you may call me Mubsamat."

Continue to Chapter 7 - Part IV
    Last edited by Kilo11; June 15, 2020 at 08:17 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 1]

It seems that Mun'at isn't far from sensing the reality behind Mubsamat's half-truths, as he remembers Tharin's advice about the Mineans and his unspoken attitude to the Nabati. The last few lines are interesting indications of how Mun'at and Mubsamat are negotiating their relationship and the relations between their peoples.
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 13, 2020 at 09:41 AM.

Content Emeritus

Alwyn hit the nail on the head, there is nothing I wish to add to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    This is something I think all writers need to keep in mind at all points. You need to know exactly why you are writing (for yourself, for some particular audience, to reach as many people as possible, etc). And using the knowledge of who your target is, you will then need to make some hard choices. For example, if I wanted this to be a young adults book, then I would almost certainly have to cut a couple things, and add a lot of other things. If I wanted this to be a more historical "historical fiction" book, then I'd need to add more details here and there. The main thing is that you need to know who you want to reach, and then think about what things that group may or may not want to see. For me, the differing opinions on Mubsamat's near-rape scene (Ch. 3, Part IV, I believe) were instructive to hear, because it made me realize such a thing might induce such an array of reactions from a generalist audience. The negative thoughts on it don't necessitate that I change anything, but they show ways in which people might be turned off of a piece, and also highlight ways I could avoid that (the main objection was not about rape, per se, but rather about our only female character being put in such a weak position, so I could meet the objection without changing the scene by just giving Mubsamat a bit more strong scenes before that one). So, all told, I think while we shouldn't ever try to please everyone (how could you even?), it is good to know why some people aren't pleased, as that might be reason for you to change things. And sometimes only small changes are needed to make someone happy, so why not.
    Indeed, the reason behind your work determines what you do (or does it largely). It's always beneficiary to learn of others' opinions, you always learn something whether it's a flaw in your story you've missed or just learn how that person thinks. Still I believe that the writer's opinion comes first no matter what the reason is for writing a piece (doesn't mean that others' opinions don't matter of course). It's a bit like my philosophy in life. Always do what you think is right and then even if you fail or something goes wrong you won't need to feel guilty you did it the way you did.

It seems that Mun'at isn't far from sensing the reality behind Mubsamat's half-truths, as he remembers Tharin's advice about the Mineans and his unspoken attitude to the Nabati. The last few lines are interesting indications of how Mun'at and Mubsamat are negotiating their relationship and the relations between their peoples.
    Alwyn hit the nail on the head, there is nothing I wish to add to that.
    Mun'at is indeed an incisive one, but he is also trustful. Not necessarily overly so, but he gives others enough trust to grant them the opportunity to prove him wrong. That means that while he is becoming cautious about the Saba', he will allow them to earn the trust they've possibly lost the right to have. At any rate, you're right to keep a close eye on these interactions, as subtle things might now become pivotal in tipping the sentiments one way or another.

Indeed, the reason behind your work determines what you do (or does it largely). It's always beneficiary to learn of others' opinions, you always learn something whether it's a flaw in your story you've missed or just learn how that person thinks. Still I believe that the writer's opinion comes first no matter what the reason is for writing a piece (doesn't mean that others' opinions don't matter of course). It's a bit like my philosophy in life. Always do what you think is right and then even if you fail or something goes wrong you won't need to feel guilty you did it the way you did.
    Definitely interesting thoughts. I am not sure I entirely agree with all of it, but I understand the general shape of your thoughts. At any rate, it is definitely important for writers to be true to their own visions, even when they are molding things to the wishes of some larger audience. Authenticity of the work makes itself shown in powerful ways, and I find it very worthy for us to write in the way that is true to our own thinking.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 7 - Part III

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Mun'at Ha'Qadri: General of the Nabati army, tasked with uniting the tribes of Arabia and subduing the Saba' confederations that control Arabia Felix.
    Ravîv'êl Bikrum: Crown Prince of the Nabati. Currently governing the conquered settlement of Dedan.

Khalil: Raider under Mun'at's command, usually tasked with leading the cavalry and light skirmishers.
    Wayyuq: A spy and pathfinder in the service of the Nabati, but not of their tribe.

Sabeans (Saba'):

Mubsamat: Queen of the Saba' with ambitions to end the tribal rivalries that plague her people.
    Tharin: Captain of Mubsamat's guard, tasked with contacting the approaching Nabati on Mubsamat's behalf and bringing them over to her cause.
    Zaadi Il'Bayyin: Often referred to as "Lord of the Northpass", Zaadi is a Qayl (higher official) of the Saba', and the ringleader of a group of nobles arrayed against Mubsamat.
    Halik Il'Yakif: Landowner and noble of the Saba' who initially followed Zaadi's plans but has since been turned by Mubsamat.
    Far'am Rafshan: Half-Qatabani exile who was in league with Zaadi Il'Bayyin, until Zaadi killed him.
    Karab: Son of the Athtar Yazi' clan and great leader of the Hashidi warriors of the northern plateau. He is also in league with Zaadi against Mubsamat.

Chapter 7
    Drawing the Net

(Part IV)

By the time Mun'at finally left the Queen's pavilion, the sun had already climbed high in the sky. After telling her his intention to help the Saba', the General of Edum had pressed Mubsamat for further details of the civil strife unfolding upon the upland plateau, and she had been more than willing to share. She had told him of Zaadi's ambition, of the conspiracy he had set against her, and of his recent retreat to his mountain fastness near the fledgling settlement of Sa'dah, where he had since been waging bloody war against Far'am's clans. As was her wont, Mubsamat twsited each fact and detail to suit her own purposes, but she held nothing back, causing their conversation to stretch the length of morning and begin crossing into midday. By the end of it, the Queen and the General had agreed on a course of action, one which the Nabati and Saba' would undertake together, the first campaign of the united peoples of Arabia, both north and south.

The army of Edum was to strike its camp, and at the same time Mubsamat and Tharin would gather all the warriors of Ma'rib and its outlying settlements. The Saba' force would pale in comparison to the Nabati, that was certain, but they would take the vanguard, making up for their lesser numbers by placing themselves in greatest danger. Once assembled, the mixed company would then march on Zaadi's fortress, and the Lord of the Northpass would surrender or be destroyed, his petty rebellion ending with him. That was their plan.

Thinking on all that Mubsamat had said, Mun'at crossed the short distance to the Nabati encampment without noticing anything of his surroundings, and he was too distracted to even nod in greeting as he passed the outer sentries. His feet, however, needed no guide, and they automatically began taking him toward the camp's center, where his tent lay, while his mind ran over the subtle details the Queen had allowed to slip. He thoughts of Tharin, wondering about the man, as he had so many times before, and so absorbed was he in his reflections that he failed to register when a friendly voice hailed him from a nearby cooking fire. Mun'at was still walking with his head down, when the voice rang out again, nearer this time, and finally the General was pulled from his reverie. He looked up and saw one-eyed Haza'el and the scout Wayyuq coming toward him, inquisitive expressions on their faces.

"So, Commander, what is it like?" Wayyuq asked eagerly.

Mun'at stared at him in bewilderment, finally saying, "What is what like?"

"Why, the city!" Wayyuq answered, his face briefly taking on the same perplexed look that hovered on Mun'at's brows. "The outer sentries said you left the camp this morning, heading toward the Saba' city. We assumed you had gone to meet their nobles and discuss our coming plans." Wayyuq eyed him curiously for a moment, before adding, "Did you not go into Ma'rib?"

"No." Mun'at answered quietly, still distracted. Something then passed behind his eyes, and he looked up at Wayyuq, and then Haza'el, a sudden clarity in his gaze. "Gather the captains," he said in solid tones, "and bring them to my tent at once! When all are there, I will tell you where I have been, and who I have met."

Two hours later, the captains of Edum emerged from Mun'at's canvas home, leaving in twos and threes and conversing in muted tones. Some were uncertain of their general's plan, but regardless of their feelings, they quickly dispersed into the Nabati camp to prepare for the coming march. They could strike the tents and be ready to move at a moment's notice, but the Saba' would need until the following morning, and in the meantime the northerners could fill their water skins and ensure their mounts had full stomachs for the push west to Zaadi's fortress. And once those tasks had been completed, there would still be blades in need of sharpening, arrows to be feathered, and the thousand other daily chores of an army marching to battle.

As his commanders and soldiers went about the work, Mun'at too stepped forth from his tent, and his eyes turned to the east, where the walls of Ma'rib lay hidden behind the rippling canvases of the Nabati encampment. He had told his captains of the plan he and Mubsamat had laid, but he had said far more than just that. There had been questions, as well as concerns about the army of Edum meddling in the politics of the Saba', a people who seemed in few ways similar to the Nabati, and in response Mun'at had calmly recounted all of his fears and suspicions regarding their new allies. As he had said them aloud, he did not quite know why he was doing so, but neither could he stop himself from continuing. Over the previous weeks he and seen and heard too many subtle marks of dishonesty and distrust from the southerners claiming to be their friends, and Mun'at simply could not hold his worries within any longer. He needed counsel, honest thoughts from honest men whom he knew could be trusted. His only hope now was that his captains would keep his confidences, for one way or another, come morning the Nabati would be marching to war alongside the Saba'. And as long as his men were upon the high plateau, they would need the southerners' friendship.

His eyes were still facing east, until with a shake of his head, Mun'at pulled his gaze back to his immediate surroundings. He then set off between the tents, determined to aid his men in their tasks and perhaps distract his mind from the cares that weighted it. Mun'at roved to and fro throughout the camp, lending a helping hand here or sharing friendly words there, continuing so as the sun began to sink in the west. Only when the last light of day had slipped from the earth did he allow himself to return to his own tent. He stepped into the cooler darkness of its embrace, and blessedly fell asleep as soon as he had laid himself down on the thin rugs that were his mattress.

The next morning, the sun rose in a sky the color of liquid mercury. A low fog hung in the air, making the world shadowless, the light diffuse, with sounds lacking any depth and tricking the ear into thinking distant figures were only a handful of paces away and merely hidden in the mists. It was an eerie begin to the day, and should have dampened spirits, but when Mun'at came out of his tent there was a keenness in his eyes that had not been present for some time.

The Nabati had been camped outside Ma'rib for less than two days, but the General of Edum had already held council with his captains, with the Queen, Mubsamat, and then again with his captains. He had been tried almost constantly, weighed down by too many cares to count, many of which were not even rightly his, and the result of all that worry had been a deep and insurmountable dread of what was to come. After all, so much had fallen on him so quickly, Mun'at could little believe that the next dawn would bring with it any glad tidings. And so, when he had laid himself down the previous night, he had suddenly felt a sense of resignation about the whole affair. In the dark of his tent, he had determined to let the fates lead him where they would, and to abandon any hope of returning to a world of ordered plans and trustworthy allies. And yet this, paradoxically, had provided him the only boon he needed. Feeling incapable of handling the myriad troubles that plagued his army and his mind, Mun'at had realized that perhaps he was incapable, that the gods would not allow him to overcome all difficulties, and as he gave into that thought, he had drifted into a sleep deeper than any he had enjoyed for weeks, if not months.

He now stood outside his tent, breathing deeply of the cool morning air, a smile of honest contentment brightening his eyes. As he looked about himself at the waking camp, he saw the chief scout of the Nabati, and he called out to him. "Wayyuq," Mun'at said in friendly tones, "how long before we can be ready to march?"

The pathfinder, Wayyuq, appeared for the briefest moment thoughtful, before answering, "One hour. Two, at the most."

"And what of the Saba'?" Mun'at replied. "Have you seen Tharin, or heard any indication of when the southerners will have mustered their forces?"

Wayyuq shrugged, adding, "I cannot say, Commander." But then, as if to answer Mun'at's question, horns began to ring to the northeast. The general and scout looked to one another, and then began heading in the direction of the martial calls. A few minutes later, they stood side by side at the edge of the Nabati encampment, and looking out, their hungry eyes saw a broad swath of men marching over the valley north of Ma'rib.

Unlike the Nabati, the Saba' had no cavalry to speak of, for their wars were most often fought in the mountain passes leading up to the high plateau, in environments where mounts presented more liability than advantage. However, their footmen were a terror to behold, something Mun'at had witnessed firsthand at the battle of Najran, when Tharin's company had held against the repeated charges of Minaean lancers. And the General of Edum could see that Tharin and Mubsamat had outdone their own promises, for around the edge of Ma'rib there came into view more and more men, their numbers kicking a great cloud of dust into the air and casting their march in shade. They moved slowly, yet their progress was marked with a sense of momentum and inevitability, like the march of the stars in the heavens above; they would need time still to reach their goal, but there could be no force that might stay them in their advance. True to that assessment, an hour after Mun'at and Wayyuq had first laid eyes on them, the hastily assembled army of the Saba' reached the Nabati, who by then had broken their camp and were waiting patiently.

Tharin, who walked at the southern company's head, seemed more good-natured and sure of himself than he had at any point during his days with the Nabati, and uncharacteristically, he stepped forward from his men and briefly wrapped Mun'at in a brotherly embrace. The general was inwardly taken aback by the gesture of familiarity, but he returned the sentiment gladly, quietly hoping it might be a sign of what was to come.

"So, General, what do you think of our force?" Tharin asked brightly as he released Mun'at.

"They look a formidable lot." Mun'at answered with a smile, adding, "And they are far more numerous than you or your Queen thought they might be."

"We were fortunate." Tharin replied. "The Maqil, one of our greater tribes, had already mustered their forces upon hearing of the conflict near the northern passes, and they agreed to join us. They hope to be part of the army that will bring order back to the high plateau."

"Then they are an honorable sort, Captain of the Saba', and I would be glad to meet them."

"You will, General, for it is six days' march from here to the fortress of Zaadi Il'Bayyin, near the young settlement of Sa'dah. There will be time enough to meet the Maqil." Tharin then lowered his voice, turning a shade more serious. "General, last night my Queen held a hurried council with the tribal elders of the Saba'," he continued, "and there were concerns about whose campaign this will be. Your force outnumbers mine by four to one, and I know from our time together that you are a greater commander than I. But these are the lands of my people. These are our homes."

"I see." Mun'at replied softly.

"No. I do not believe you do." Tharin went on. "This matter is a Saba' concern, and it must be seen to be resolved by us. In fact, if all goes as we plan, my Queen will deal with this in her own fashion, with words, and our show of strength will be just that, a show. But if battle is needed, we would have you be our general. You have proven yourself mighty beyond reckoning, and your men will follow you in a way they never would me, or any other Saba' commander. The company behind me will be led by myself and the other tribal captains, but we will take our orders from you. At least, that was our intention, if you are willing to lead us."

Mun'at appeared mildly surprised by the gesture of faith, and he answered with tactful humility. "It would be an honor to lead this force," he said, "and gods willing, the rebels we go to meet will give themselves up peaceably, and your Queen may take the day."

"Indeed." Tharin replied with a deep nod.

Mun'at then glanced over the Saba' captain's shoulder, examining the troops behind him, before adding, "The Nabati are ready to move, if you are." Tharin nodded again, and with a motion from Mun'at, the united soldiers of north and south Arabia began marching west together, the tramp of their feet kicking up a single column of dust behind them.

Continue to Chapter 7 - Part V
    Last edited by Kilo11; July 06, 2020 at 02:24 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 15]

You've got me thinking about Tharin's line "This matter is a Saba' concern, and it must be seen to be resolved by us", combined with what he then tells Mun'at. I may have misunderstood this, but it sounds as if Mun'at not only needs to win the battle (if there is a battle) but needs to put Saba' troops in a position where their intervention is crucial to victory - a complication for any commander!

You've got me thinking about Tharin's line "This matter is a Saba' concern, and it must be seen to be resolved by us", combined with what he then tells Mun'at. I may have misunderstood this, but it sounds as if Mun'at not only needs to win the battle (if there is a battle) but needs to put Saba' troops in a position where their intervention is crucial to victory - a complication for any commander!
    Indeed. It is a tricky thing when one is forced to blend subtle diplomatic concerns into the heat of battle. But the Saba' are not ones to shrink from asking for unacceptable difficult things. We will have to see how well things turn out for Mun'at and friends, and whether such wishes are to be fulfilled.

Small note, sorry for the delay on this post. The wife and I had a few days of vacation. I hope the next update is sufficiently juicy to make up for the wait!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 7 - Part IV

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Chapter 7
    Drawing the Net

(Part V)

Zaadi Il'Bayyin sat in silence on the wide stone stairs before his keep. His face was haggard, his raven-black hair grayed by the ash and soot, his skin still stained from all the blood that had washed over it. He gazed across the courtyard to the defenses that so long had guarded his seat of power, and a cloud passed over his honeyed-hazel eyes.

The walls had been blackened by the flames that had crawled over them, and the evenly spaced towers were warped and misshapen, grotesque reminders of the infernos that had blazed within. And here and there the stones themselves had even given way, allowing large holes to gape to the plain outside. One of his men had said the fires must have weakened the mortaring, but Zaadi could not be sure. The only thing he was sure of as he looked on his fortress, much of which was still smoldering, was that the destruction was wholly due to his actions.

He had killed Far'am Rafshan, hoping to harm the false queen, Mubsamat, with that deed, but the half-Qatabani's tribes had come seeking vengeance. They had slashed their way to his citadel, laying siege to it, and they had outnumbered Zaadi's men by a frightening amount. Yet the Lord of the Northpass had emerged triumphant. He had piled his walls high with timber, soaking the mess in oil, and turning his fortress and home into a trap, and in their rage to come at him, the foolish half-bloods entered it freely. By the time they realized their mistake, it was too late. Zaadi's warriors butchered their enemies without mercy.

By Zaadi's cunning, the tribes of Far'am had been broken, yet the Lord of the Northpass and his men did not gain any respite with their victory. Instead, they had traded spears for shovels and picks, and begun to clear the red-soaked plain. Their own warriors were put to rest first, given all the rites and sacrifices necessary to ensure their safe passage into the midnight lands, and only when they had been laid to rest were the bodies of the besiegers given attendance. The corpses of the half-Qatabani were piled in a mound to the east of the fortress, and as the sun was setting on the fourth day after the battle, they were put to flame.

It was now an hour after dawn, and Zaadi could still see a wavering column of smoke where the pyre had been set. Staring at it a moment longer, he shook his head. He then turned his gaze to the men within his walls, the soldiers clearing rubble from the scorched towers, or gathering together the stones that lay scattered about the breaches in the battlements.

How many of them are left? Zaadi thought to himself with worry. Half of the company that first struck Far'am's tribes... two-thirds, at most. He then looked to the gray peaks that rose to the north and west. He had allies he could call, other men upon whom he could rely, but their numbers were strewn along the length of those mountains, and it would be long before they could be brought together. Yet if he was to have a hope of fighting the queen, he would need to muster his forces. He would need to match her strength.

A piercing cry came ringing between the high summits, drawing Zaadi's gaze further up the mountains, and he saw far above a great eagle, its wings outstretched and carrying it in wide circular arcs. The predator of the skies spun and whirled, flitting about gracefully upon the rising warmer airs of dawn, while far below it a massive ram stolidly picked its way along knife-edged ridges. The bird then swung down toward the ram, shrieking in fury as it did so, but the horned beast of the high places paid it no note. After all, why would it? The wild goats of the Sarat Mountains were mighty things, and though an eagle could be a terror to many of the creatures that inhabited the Saba' lands, the rams had little to fear from them. And yet, the raptor continued to harry and strike at the master climber.

After a time, the ram seemed to tire of the bird's provocations, and he began slowly to descend the cracked gray slopes. The eagle, however, would not be so easily escaped. It followed, sweeping over the woolly beast and lashing out menacingly as it passed. Clawed toes flashed quickly, but they missed their mark. The eagle swung about, but again missed. For a third time, the feathered demon came hurtling toward the horned ram, who still moved stoically ever downward, and finally the eagle made contact. It dug its razor-tipped talons into the rams's side, pulling away with a triumphant cry that echoed across the valley. However, for all its efforts, it had accomplished little. A thin trickle of blood ran down the mountain goat's side, flowing listlessly from a gash that had been opened upon his flanks. Yet it was a small wound, not a thing that would profit the hunter above. The ram was simply too strong, and could not be defeated by such an enemy, no matter how fleetly it might move, nor how cunning its stratagems might be.

With a final shriek of rage, the eagle peeled away, and the ram continued in its slow descent, Zaadi finally beginning to lose interest in the seeming drama above. The Lord of the Northpass began to turn his eyes back to his own affairs, when a final desperate assault by the eagle pulled his gaze upward again.

After its brief withdrawal, the great raptor had climbed high in the sky, and it was now plummeting down toward the ram. It came with a terrible speed, yet the goat's eyes were fixed on the rocks and ridges ahead; he could not see the approaching enemy. The ram stepped forward, picking his way over narrow ledges clinging to the mountainside, when the eagle struck his side with such force that Zaadi imagined he could hear the thump of claws on flesh. The ram slipped, his feet skidding along slick granite, and as he struggled to right himself, the bird beat its wings in his face and cried out again, fury and death ringing in its banshee wail. Zaadi's eyes widened briefly as he saw the old ram tip sideways, and then fall headlong into the leering gulf of empty space. For what seemed an age, the ram spun through the air, bleating piteously all the while, until its mournful cry was cut short by a sickeningly wet smack as it struck the rocks so far below.

"Sir?"

Zaadi peeled his gaze from the spectacle of blood, realizing with a start that one of his men had been speaking to him. "What is it?" he said curtly, a hint of irritation in his voice.

"My Lord, I said that there is a messenger here to see you." He pointed to a man standing a few dozen paces away, and added, "He comes from the Hashidis to our east, that hold the passes north of Ma'rib."

"Well, what does he have to say?" Zaadi asked impatiently.

The soldier hesitated, looking at the Lord of the Northpass with worry in his eyes. "I believe you would wish to hear him for yourself." he finally answered, averting his gaze briefly with the last words.

"Very well." Zaadi answered, waving the messenger forward with a motion of his hand while he tried to put the recently witnessed hunt out of his mind.

In an instant, the Hashidi was before him, but as Zaadi stared at him, waiting, it appeared less and less likely that the man would speak. Zaadi still sat on the wide stairs leading up to his keep, the other man standing on the flagged courtyard below, but no word passed his lips. He had come to Zaadi, of his own will, but the man seemed incapable of doing anything more than to stare at his feet and nervously twist a corner of his robes between sweaty fingers.

After a few moments more of this, Zaadi let out a sigh, and said, "I believe there was something you wished to tell me."

The man continued to hold his tongue, and in answer Zaadi rose to his feet, adding more loudly, "You will speak now, or begone, Hashidi!"

For the first time since his arrival, the messenger looked Zaadi in the eyes, and the Lord of the Northpass noted with worry that there was nothing but fear in the other's gaze.

"My Lord..." the Hashidi began tentatively, "I was asked to ride with all haste, to warn you..."

His voice trailed off, and Zaadi snapped, "Warn me of what? Out with it!"

The man took a deep breath, and then began speaking in a rush, perhaps hoping to deliver his message and flee before Zaadi could answer. "A force was seen leaving Ma'rib." he said. "They left with the dawn three days ago, heading in this direction, and it will be three days more, at most, before they arrive here. There Saba' among them, warriors of the tribes most likely to follow the queen, Mubsamat, but the majority of them were unwashed raiders of the desert. It seems the Nabati are now among us. And Lord, the queen was seen riding with them as well. She is coming here, in force, to meet you. Now that she has her allies, she appears to be making her move."

"That woman is coming here?" Zaadi said to himself with a shade of disbelief. "And with the northern devils at her side. Then she must think she has won." With a glance about his smoldering fortress, he muttered, "Perhaps she has." His gaze then shifted back to the gray mountains where an eagle was picking at the broken corpse of a great ram, and slowly Zaadi's lips twisted into a thin smile. Victory might still be his, but to be sure, he would need to see the false queen. He would need to speak to Mubsamat.

Continue to Chapter 7 - Part VI
    Last edited by Kilo11; July 17, 2020 at 03:29 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: July 6]

So the meeting between Mun'at and Mubsamat finally happened, and it was just as great as I had expected. It was also a nice little recap, and a great show of diplomacy, of course.

The recent part is also a great read. You built a strong, dark atmosphere around Zaadi. This guy is a worthy opponent for Mubsamat and Mun'at, both with his sword and his tongue, no doubt. I hope for an epic clash of kings and usurpers.

I agree, the atmosphere around Zaadi is well done and I'm wondering if he'll think of a way to surprise the approaching forces of Mubsamat and Mun'at.

Content Emeritus

Great use of imagery with the "battle" between the eagle and ram.

I agree with what Derc has said, Zaadi is a perfect adversary for Mubsamat and Mun'at.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    So the meeting between Mun'at and Mubsamat finally happened, and it was just as great as I had expected. It was also a nice little recap, and a great show of diplomacy, of course.

The recent part is also a great read. You built a strong, dark atmosphere around Zaadi. This guy is a worthy opponent for Mubsamat and Mun'at, both with his sword and his tongue, no doubt. I hope for an epic clash of kings and usurpers.
    Thanks Derc. I had fun with the meeting between Mun'at and Mubsamat, thinking of how each would think and talk when first encountering the other, and it's nice to hear that worked well. With regards to Zaadi, he will indeed be a thorn to deal with. He doesn't have much power, nor a calm demeanor (he can get himself into corners with his mouth), but he is a clever dog, and not one to be underestimated.

I agree, the atmosphere around Zaadi is well done and I'm wondering if he'll think of a way to surprise the approaching forces of Mubsamat and Mun'at.
    Only time will give the answer to this one. At any rate, you can be sure that Zaadi will not be caught without some plan on action in mind.

Great use of imagery with the "battle" between the eagle and ram.

I agree with what Derc has said, Zaadi is a perfect adversary for Mubsamat and Mun'at.
    Thanks for the comment about the eagle/ram exchange. I wasn't sure how it would land, but I liked the way of setting up Zaadi's thoughts for what is to come, and I also find it somewhat nice to have characters sometimes be influenced directly by what they see around them.

And now, here is the next update. Sorry it is a couple days after my usual date of release, but I am visiting family right now and have not had the usual free time to hop online and check things that I usually would at home. At any rate, I hope the two-day wait was worth it.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 7 - Part V

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Chapter 7
    Drawing the Net

(Part VI)

It had been five days since they departed from the Saba' capital, and the combined forces of Mun'at and Mubsamat were nearing Zaadi's stronghold at the head of Wadi Madhab. They had traveled the same roads so recently trod by the northerners, passing the same mounts and dredging their feet through the same muddy floodplains, and on their fourth day they had found the same field of corpses that greeted the army of Edum when first they arrived upon the high plateau. As they came to that place, Mun'at had made certain to be near the Queen, to see with his own eyes what her reaction would be, to take some measure of the woman who was to be his strongest ally in southern Arabia. A day and a half had now passed since then, yet still the General of Edum could not put the images out of his mind.

Approaching that field of death, Mun'at had known exactly what they would find, and from his conversations with Mubsamat during the march, he knew also that the Queen had never before witnessed a battlefield or its aftermath. As such, Mun'at had expected the woman to be overcome by it all, to faint, or retch over the earth on seeing such a scene for the first time. After all, even the hardiest of raiders were known to react so upon witnessing their first true battle, and Mubsamat's life at court would not have prepared her for such a sight. What Mun'at had not expected was a brief flicker of a smile, followed by a studied look of sorrow and pity. The Queen of the Saba' had loudly bemoaned the loss of life, carefully making no mention of the fact that those dead were her enemies, but Mun'at had seen the flash of morbid pleasure, the relish taken in her foes' destruction. Mubsamat was clever and artful in her own ways, always at ease when perched at the center of a web of deceit and intrigues, but for an instant she had allowed her true sentiments to show. In that instant, Mun'at had been watching.

Since then, Mun'at had become ever more absorbed in that moment, walking in silence and failing to notice the gradual drawing of the valley through which they walked. It was still vast in its breadth, but the mountains to either side, which before were lost in haze, were now becoming sharper, their features showing more clearly with each passing hour. The army was gaining the upper reaches of Wadi Madhab, and when they reached its sources they would find themselves before Zaadi's fortress. By Tharin's estimates, they would arrive at that place in the darkening evening hours the next day, and then the Nabati and Saba' would at long last test the mettle of the rebellious so-called "Lord of the Northpass". Mun'at's only hope was that he might meet that man before either the Queen had spoke to him, or worse still, before battle was taken against him. After all, the army of Edum was in a strange land, and though their allies might brand Zaadi a traitor, Mun'at would not so easily allow himself to be guided by their words alone. He would speak to these new enemies of the Nabati, and if he was fortunate, their words might tell him something of the Nabati's new friends as well.

The remainder of the march to Zaadi's keep passed without incident, and just as Tharin had predicted, the united Nabati and Saba' troops arrived as the light of day was draining from the earth. The sun had not yet fallen behind the veil of the Sarat Mountains to the west, but it lay low in the sky, its fiery orb lighting the ground with a deep scarlet. As a result, Mun'at's men did not at first notice that the land itself had been washed with crimson. They walked forward with their heads high, ignorant of the bloody deeds that had been carried out on the plain before Zaadi's citadel, but despite this, they seemed to sense some thing amiss. Their steps began to lightly falter, and as they moved further over the plain, they crowded toward one another, unsure of why they were doing so, but certain that they would wish nothing less than to be far from friends. It was only when they came upon the remnants of the pyre of half-Qatabani corpses that they realized just what had come to pass in that place, and suddenly all the subtle marks on the edge of consciousness came into focus; the tramped and churned dirt of the plain, the ruts where the siege engines had been pushed forward, and most of all, the soft metallic scent of blood that rose with every footfall on the damp soil below.

They had reached their goal, and could see in the distance the low walls of Zaadi's fortress, but despite this, there was a sense of disquiet growing in the ranks. Mun'at looked at the soldiers near to him, watching how their gazes flickered over everything, how their nervousness set their hands gently trembling. It was nothing significant, not yet. There were no outright signs of distress. And yet Mun'at was sure there was a powerful anxiety swelling inside them. As if to assure himself of that estimation, he turned to Rana'in, who was never far, and Mun'at saw in the old warrior's eyes the same thought mirrored; the Nabati were frightened.

Fear would break an army, just as surely as hunger or thirst, something which the General of Edum knew well. It did not matter if the fear was foolish, misplaced, or outright absurd, and it did not matter if it was only shadows and gusts of wind which startled soldiers in the night. Fear would seep in like a slow poison, opening fissures in their hearts, and old enmities would flare as men sought to dispel a childish fright that disarmed their very souls. It would begin with snaps and squabbles, little affairs of seemingly little note, but they would breed deeper hates, which together with the tension in the air would lead to deeper hurts. Before long, blood would be drawn, and the trifling bouts of individual men would turn to skirmishes between clans. And within a day, the army might have destroyed itself, devouring its own strength as each man feebly sought to feel strong. Once before, Mun'at had with his own eyes seen it happen.

Without delay, the General of Edum began to shout orders to those around him. He called a retreat over the plain, pulling the ranks back beyond the bloodied earth and leaving a wide space between them and the walls of Zaadi's keep. They walked back the way they had come, growing gayer with every step, and they only stopped once they had gained the smooth ground that marked the beginning of soil unsullied by death. He then bade the men to set a close camp, ringing it with evenly-spaced fires about which the sentries might cluster. It would blunt their vision, to be so near to flame while on watch, but Mun'at was more concerned with the men's mood than with any thought of attack from the citadel.

Before long, the tents were raised, the fires lit, and the warriors of the Nabati were resting easily, the spell of the battlefield all but washed away. Surveying their rapidly-erected encampment, Mun'at was gladdened on seeing that the Saba' had followed his orders as well, pulling back and setting their own tents alongside those of the soldiers of Edum. In his haste, Mun'at had all but forgotten the southerners' presence, failing to send any word to their captains, but Tharin had paid note of the General's commands. Without need for guidance or instruction, he had followed Mun'at's orders, and in doing so, he had kept his word. It was, perhaps, a start.

As his orders were carried out, the sun had continued in its slow descent, and it was now beginning to slip behind the western mountains. Darkness would soon envelope the plain. Mun'at, however, still needed to speak with the Queen, Mubsamat, for though they had conversed on occasion during the march from Ma'rib, they had not yet discussed what was to be done once they reached Zaadi. Mun'at had some inkling of Queen's feelings toward the renegade Saba' lord, but he did not know what she had planned, and that ignorance made him wary, and worried as well. Since entering Saba' lands, he had been allowed to know little more than that which Tharin and Mubsamat deigned to tell him, and their continually closed counsel made a poor foundation for trust. The General of Edum would learn something of Zaadi before they were to meet him. He was determined in that. And so, with a stony expression upon his brow, Mun'at went out into the camp in search of Mubsamat's tent.

Map - Arabia Felix

Continue to Chapter 7 - Part VII
    Last edited by Kilo11; August 06, 2020 at 03:06 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: July 17]

Mun'at's keen eyes are giving him valuable insights here. I like your phrasing, particularly when you show what fear can do to an army. I'll be interested to see how the command of this army will work in practice. Mun'at's orders are being followed now - but what information are Tharin and Mubsamat not giving to Mun'at, and what if their preferred tactics differ from his in the midst of battle? I can imagine instinctive loyalties overriding this new (and potentially fragile) alliance.

Content Emeritus

I agree with everything Alwyn said, especially the whole bit about fear. I think your describing of the phenomenon is spot on, not only in context of the army but in general as well. Fear is a powerful enemy everyone should be wary of. Good to see Mun'at is still wary of his (current) allies and shows he has not forgotten about his own mission. I wonder if Mun'at will get his private conversation with Zaadi, and if so, how it will go and how Mubsamat will try to prevent this from happening should Mun'at pursue this endeavor.

A very well done update!

Mun'at's keen eyes are giving him valuable insights here. I like your phrasing, particularly when you show what fear can do to an army. I'll be interested to see how the command of this army will work in practice. Mun'at's orders are being followed now - but what information are Tharin and Mubsamat not giving to Mun'at, and what if their preferred tactics differ from his in the midst of battle? I can imagine instinctive loyalties overriding this new (and potentially fragile) alliance.
    I agree with everything Alwyn said, especially the whole bit about fear. I think your describing of the phenomenon is spot on, not only in context of the army but in general as well. Fear is a powerful enemy everyone should be wary of. Good to see Mun'at is still wary of his (current) allies and shows he has not forgotten about his own mission. I wonder if Mun'at will get his private conversation with Zaadi, and if so, how it will go and how Mubsamat will try to prevent this from happening should Mun'at pursue this endeavor.

A very well done update!
    Thanks guys. Your words are always appreciated, and as always, you both have picked up on some important things, and on some things that are currently in the making. I won't say anything more than that right now, and instead just give you the next update to slake your interest

Also, sorry for the short delay with posting this update. Normally, I would post on the 1st and 15th, but my wife went into labor on the morning of the 1st, and by noon she had given birth to a baby girl! So the last few days have been baby-oriented, and we are now getting ourselves into a groove. Given this, from now on updates may not always be exactly when I'd like them to be, but this work will still continue (if, perhaps, less predictably). Also, since I will now have a bit less time on my hands, encouragement from you lot may be a bit more important in getting me to spend time writing, so please don't be shy about telling me you really want me to make progress. I don't need compliments or anything, but a word here or there telling me you want more is always welcome. And as always, don't forget any critiques or suggestions either!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 7 - Part VI

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Chapter 7
    Drawing the Net

(Part VII)

Across the valley glittered the fires of the Nabati and Saba' camps, their flickering lights presenting a ruddy reflection of the stars overhead. However, not all of their beacons were gathered together on the long plain. Between the darkness of Zaadi's fortress and the constellations of the encamped army there lay a single lonely flame, lost on the wide field where the Lord of the Northpass had butchered Far'am's people. The small fire lay beside a tent, whose canvas walls were placed so as to hide the light from the eyes of any Nabati sentries who might be watching.

From the outside, it was clear that the tent itself was not large, yet within it had been carefully laid out to create an illusion of immensity. Silver plates and polished mirrors were scattered in seeming disarray, yet keen scrutiny would betray the methodicalness of their placement, each reflecting into the next into eternity. The effect was to transform a cramped canvas interior into what appeared to be a vast audience chamber lit by a thousand candles and warmed by a thousand braziers. And at that chamber's heart stood the Queen, Mubsamat, patiently waiting.

Outside stood Tharin and a pair of guards, and Mubsamat knew that nearby lay a small company of stout Saba' warriors as well, their eyes calmly surveying the plain and ensuring that neither Zaadi nor any of his ilk might approach unseen. Yet within her temporary rugged hall, the Queen was alone.

She looked about herself at the endlessly reflected candles and glowing braziers, and she thought back on the night upon the walls of Ma'rib when Zaadi had first dared to openly challenge here. In the dark he had come, four men standing at his back, yet fool that he was, he had threatened rather than acting. All boldness and bark, but too little bite, and too late. That was all Zaadi was. Now two of his allies were dead, one by Zaadi's own hand, and Mubsamat had turned the timid Halik to her own cause. Zaadi had only Karab left to him, Karab and his tribe, and precious little else. It would not be enough to spare the Lord of the Northpass from the Queen's vengeance.

A roll of thunder out past the horizon briefly pulled Mubsamat's gaze to the swaying flap that was the tent's entrance, and she coolly considered what she would do when Zaadi finally came to her, for he would come. She was certain of that. He would need to boast and threaten, as he always did, and for his vanity, he would come alone, putting himself at an enemy's mercy rather than admitting to himself that he had already been beaten.

Mubsamat could have him destroyed as soon as he arrived. That would be a trifling thing. With a flick of her wrist she might have a dozen men upon him, cutting him to slippery ribbons before he could fall to the earth. Or better still, she could have him restrained, and she herself might draw the deadly blade. And there were wires, swords, hot irons, and more that could be used upon a body, and death could be persuaded to wait for a terrifyingly long time, if one were careful. There were so many options at her disposal. But as Mubsamat played them through her mind, relishing the simple pleasure of each, she found herself realizing that despite their allure, they were all somehow still wanting. Zaadi would die. There was no question of that. But a death now, either quick or slow, was far more than the fiend deserved. After all, he had threatened her, called her a whore and treated her little better, and Mubsamat wished with all her being to exact a penalty for each and every of his sins. She wanted, needed, to break his spirit and soul, so that when he did die, it would be with the sure knowledge that his life and deeds would be forgotten, cut from the very fabric of history. Zaadi Il'Bayyin would go into the dark with the cold certainty that utter oblivion awaited him.

Another roll of thunder washed over the tent, more loudly than before, and when Mubsamat's gaze rose to the doorway she saw the flap twitched aside, Tharin entering quickly with a look of dark contentment burning deep in his eyes.

"My Queen, the traitor Zaadi is coming." he said evenly.

Mubsamat smiled. "Good. When he arrives, bring him here, and stay with us."

Tharin nodded and exited the way he had come, returning before long with the rebel Zaadi behind him and wearing a haggard expression. Zaadi stepped to the threshold of the Queen's pavilion and eyed Mubsamat carefully, hatred and rage clearly visible just beneath his searching look, yet at first he made no other move forward. He stood like a statue, fixed in the entranceway of the tent, his body sporadically cast in silhouette as the nearing storm crawled over the mountains in sheets of water and arcs of lightning. Each blast across the sky sent light, blindingly bright, lancing around his still form, and together with the subsequent crashes of thunder, it was enough to impress the hardiest of men. But Mubsamat was not a man, and she was not impressed.

The Queen of the Saba' gazed on the traitorous Zaadi, and though his countenance was twisted with malice, she returned an easy mildly-amused smile. "Won't you sit, Zaadi?" she said sweetly.

Zaadi remained motionless, silent. In answer, Mubsamat put on a look of girlish coyness, half-turning from him and adding, "I do not bite. At least come closer. The coming storm will put a chill over this valley, and you might warm yourself here, for a time." She finished with a gesture toward a glowing brazier that stood between them, and Zaadi finally broke his statuesque presence, stepping forward slowly.

As he moved nearer, Mubsamat continued speaking in friendly tones. "It is long since we last saw one another, Son of Il'Bayyin. When was it exactly?" She fixed him with a barbed glance. "Oh yes, I remember. It was when you threatened me in the night, coming with four other men at your back. Tell me, did I really terrify you so, that you thought you might have needed their assistance?"

Zaadi froze. His jaw tightened, and through clenched teeth he snarled, "I should have killed you then, and cast your broken body from the ramparts!"

The words flashed out viciously, and in answer Tharin's hand went to his blade. Mubsamat, however, stayed him with an absent-minded wave of her hand. She then turned her attention back to Zaadi, speaking again, but with no trace of kindness left in her voice. "Yes, Zaadi. For your sake, you should have indeed. But you did not, and now it is upon me to determine what ought to be done with you. So tell me, little 'Qab, what would you do with a vanquished traitor?" she asked venomously, her grin suddenly twisting into a triumphant sneer.

For a moment Zaadi was silenced, until something seemed to shift inside him, at which point his eyes narrowed and he shook his head. "Why do you smile, faithless whore?" He gestured behind and about himself, as if to point to the broad valley upon whose base they stood. "I have overcome every trap you set for me, slaughtered every enemy, and before the end, I will destroy you as well. So why do you smile as though you have already won?!"

This time it was Mubsamat who looked on in silence, her head slowly tilting to one side, a perplexed expression pasted to her brow. Then, suddenly, she began to laugh, loudly and with genuine mirth, her eyes shining like a spring sunrise. "Oh, son of Il'Bayyin," she began lightly, "I knew you for an ambitious and overbold man, but never did I take you to be such a fool. Do you really not yet know what has been happening in these lands?"

Zaadi's face darkened with ever more distrust and hate. "I killed your man, Far'am Rafshan, and destroyed his renegade tribals." he answered defiantly.

"My man?" Mubsamat sighed then, and when she continued it was in tones of genuine pity. "You really are a fool, Zaadi. Far'am Rafshan was never my man. Why would he be? After all, twice a traitor is doubly to be distrusted. No. I merely played with his fears and poisoned his sentiments, hoping he might act rashly and gain your suspicion. Truth be told, I only ever imagined my deeds would create disunity, weakening your little confederation. But then you played your part, and better than I could ever have hoped for. I should thank your for your cooperation."

"Lies!" he snapped.

"Oh, dear Zaadi, you hurt me." Mubsamat pouted playfully. "Lies are such crude and boorish things. I merely created the circumstances for you to believe an untruth, but I cannot be held responsible for your actions."

Zaadi appeared for a moment broken, but rallied once more. "No. If he was not yours, then why did his men break against my fastness?" he asked desperately, searching for some scrap of sense in his own deeds.

Mubsamat's eyes narrowed in confusion. "Why?" she repeated. "Have you forgotten your own sins so quickly? You thought Far'am a traitor to your cause, and for that you violated all custom and good sense. Zaadi Il'Bayyin, you killed Far'am under the noonday sun, and when his body had fallen to the dust, you raised your red hands to the heavens and proclaimed for all to hear that you were his executioner. What did you expect his people to do?" She shook her head, adding quietly, "Blood for blood. Death for death. That is the way."

For the first time since their meeting, Zaadi's eyes fell to the dirt, darting back and forth in rising panic and fear as he realized the utter depths of his folly. Mubsamat made a sign to Tharin, who stood beside her, and he began moving forward, his hand on the hilt of his blade. But Zaadi noticed the motion, and his gaze snapped back to the Queen with open flame. "Be damned, you devil!" he hissed between his teeth, and with a flash of his boot he struck at the brazier between them, casting its fiery contents across the center of the tent. A blast of sparks and blinding heat drove Mubsamat and Tharin momentarily back, and when again they looked across the space, Zaadi had gone. Hoofbeats could briefly be heard retreating in the distance, but soon enough they were lost amidst the gentle patter of the rain and the deep rumble of thunder in the mountains.

"My Queen, shall we follow him?" Tharin asked.

Mubsamat stared into the night for a long moment, a smile broadening upon her lips, until finally she answered, "No. Leave him be for now. He has nowhere left to go."

Continue to Chapter 8 - Part I
    Last edited by Kilo11; August 18, 2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added link to next post
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: August 6]

Congratulations on your lovely news! I hope everyone in your family is doing well.

The encounter between Mubsamat and Zaadi is very well done, with a striking visual image of Zaadi in the entrance-way to the tent, and Mubsamat's reaction giving us a hint about which way this meeting is likely to go. The moment when Zaadi tries to hold on to his intepretation of events ("why did his men break against my fastness?") and Mubsamat's reaction brings the conversation to a climax very effectively. I wonder if it was a mistake to let him go, or if Mubsamat expects to get some advantage from his desperation.