Thread: export_descr_unit Not changing in game

Default export_descr_unit Not changing in game

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my EDU file in M2TW (Steam). I have already extracted all of the files. When I edit the EDU file all of the changes do not show in game. The EDU file still has my changes saved in it but in game still uses the original EDU stats. Has this happened to anyone before? I have a lot of experience changing the EDU with other mods with no problems but this has stumped me. I'm using Windows 10 and have edited TATW just fine but the for some reason M2TW isn't working for me. Thanks for the help

Default Re: export_descr_unit Not changing in game

If you already edited some mod, then you probably don't have a virtual store issue?

To mod directly within the main data folder, which is not recommanded, you need to edit the main medieval2.cfg as explained here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13638666

However, to avoid yourself the trouble of messing with the main data, download bare geomod instead and do your modding/playing within it. It's both a unofficial patch, and a vanilla mod folder:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ld-Bare-Geomod

Thanks! I got my changes to show up in game now with the file_first = true (I've never had to do this before with my CD-ROM games, is it a Steam thing?). Now a few new things happen. The box before and after a battle (Begin Deployment, Start Battle, and Outcome) are missing on screen. I can still play by clicking the right location where the text should be. Also when I mouse over a unit in battle the text doesn't stay in the text box anymore. Any ideas how to fix this? Other then these 2 things the game plays great. In Custom Battle that is. Haven't tried a campaign yet. Thanks

The file_first line is for all versions of the game. Every mods have this line in their modfolder/.cfg file since no modding can work without it. About your text display problem, did you do something to the battle.txt and/or battle.txt.strings.bin, in text folder? Because the lines you mention are part of this file, and invisible text seem like a wrong formating of the string bin to me.

I don't have any steam, but I heard their version has some problem with regenerating some specific string bin files, including battle:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15595602

So you would have to edit them directly with bin editor, I guess.
    And you really should consider using bare geomod for your vanilla modding, always much cleaner and safer to do your stuffs within a mod folder.

DanishTerror's Avatar Libertus

Selv, I've run Steam version for years and never encountered a problem with the string.bin files rebuilding - unless I screwed up a line in the converted text file.
    Kevan, what program did you use to edit your text files?

Edit: just checked the other thread and those are files I don't think I've ever messed with, hence the no problem.
    Last edited by DanishTerror; June 05, 2018 at 02:12 PM.