Thread: Estates of Aubrey de Vere

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Estates of Aubrey de Vere

The De Veres would, in time, become one of the oldest lines of Norman nobility in England, dating back to a certain 'Albericus' or Aubrey de Vere who was listed as a significant landowner in Essex (indeed this was where the De Veres' ancestral seat, Hedingham Castle, was built) and the Queen's chamberlain in the Domesday Book of 1086.

However, none of that has happened yet, and young Aubrey is at present but one of many knights in service to the newly-crowned King William the Conqueror. He has shown more greed and talent for enrichment than actual martial skill or valor, making him better suited to be someone's...say, steward or chamberlain, but he dutifully fought at Hastings nonetheless.

Household
    Aubrey de Vere

Spouse: Cecily de Clare
    Traits: 6 pts
    +3 Wealth (+22.5% income total from base + temperament)
    +2 Logistician
    +1 Survival
    -2 Charisma (temperament)

Temperaments:
    - Haggler: This character is obsessed with getting the best possible deal for themselves, and ever watchful (even paranoid) for anyone trying to rip them off. This sort of fellow is rarely the sort others like, but none can deny their ability to sniff for gold. +7.5% income and improves loot from raids, -2 Charisma.

Other members of the De Vere household
    Cecily de Clare, wife, age 21
    Beatrice, clubfooted daughter, age 2 (b. 1070)
    Aubrey, autistic son, age 1 (b. 1071)
    Geoffrey, healthy twin son, age 0 (b. 1072)
    John, healthy twin son, age 0 (b. 1072)

Provinces
    Essex:
    Halstead/Hedingham - Prosperous Income - Seat
    Colchester/Lexden - Prosperous Income
    Tendring - Prosperous Income

Oxford:
    Henley - Prosperous Income
    Oxford - Prosperous Income
    Ploughley/Boarstal - Average Income
    Witney/Lovell - Average Income

Sussex:
    Arundel - Prosperous Income
    Chichester - Prosperous Income
    Midhurst/Cowdray - Prosperous Income

Total income: £3400 (8 prosperous, 2 average) + 765 (22.5% from traits & temperament) = £4165

Levy & retinue
    Levy
    10 provinces x 100 men = 1000 men (max potential)

De Vere retinue composition: 25 knights, 75 serjeants

Buildings
    Hedingham Castle (Stone Wall)
    Oxford Castle (Stone Wall)
    Arundel Castle (Stone Keep)

Tier I:
    Tenant Homesteads
    Castle Village
    Wooden Walls
    Enlarged Keep
    Local Blacksmiths
    Armed Peasants
    Mustering Fields

Tier II:
    Peasant Farmsteads
    Castle Town
    Wooden Towers
    Food Larders
    Regional Blacksmiths

Tier III:
    Rented Estates
    Castle Market
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; July 27, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Estates of Aubrey de Vere

De Vere is invited to Warwick castle by Baron de Mowbray.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

De Vere receives an invitation to take part in a Northern Welsh Expedition, a war council is to be hosted by Lord d'Avranches and held at Chester Castle.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Lord de Vere is invited to Berkhamsted Castle to break bread with the Queen.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

A letter arrives for Aubrey de Vere from William de Clare

Dearest Brother, I write to inform you of the death our beloved brother Gilbert de Clare. He was murdered in cold blood by Roger de Mowbray, and I swear today I shall have vengeance for the murder of our brother. We must rally our forces and strip this animal of all his lands and titles, he will live to regret his existence.

signed
    William de Clare

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Citizen

A Letter arrives for Aubrey de Vere

Mowbray arrived from Wales with an army of about 700 men, a battle ensued. Unfortunately we lost the battle and have retreated to castle Clare. The causalities sustained were not as bad as anticipated, a good portion of my army still remains. In the battle I sustained a minor wounded though we were able to inflict a serious wound to the bastard Mowbray. I hope to see you shortly

regards

Richard de clare

Section Editor ES

The will of Aubrey de Vere
    When I should pass...

...to my eldest son, Aubrey de Vere, I do hereby leave the Earldom of Arundel and all of my estates, save those listed further below...

...unto my wife, Cecile de Clare, I do hereby leave Oxford Castle as well as my nearby estates in Henley, Ploughey and Boarstal to support her as her dower...

...to my younger sons, Geoffrey and John, I do hereby leave a third of my treasury each, to be divided three ways between them and their elder brother Aubrey. To Geoffrey I leave my horses, to John I leave my arms and armor...

Signed and sealed at Hedingham, Anno Domini 1075.

Citizen

William de Clare arrives at Aubrey’s manor troubled, he had just left the queens castle where he has been forced to live out his married life with Joan the wretch. With father dealing with his own problems, William turns to Aubrey for help in this matter perhaps together they could find a solution to his problems. William arrives at the gate and speaks with a guard

I am looking for Lord Arundel, can you point me in the right direction

Section Editor ES

William de Clare finds Arundel actually present at Hedingham, a rare occasion at this time of year - he was usually busy with managing the kingdom's finances these days. Hedingham was smaller than Winchester though, which meant he didn't have to put so much effort into heating the place up as the snow fell around them. "Ah, good-brother. What brings you to my home?" Aubrey asked by way of greeting, straightening his back and clasping his hands behind himself at William's approach.

Citizen

Greetings brother, unfortunately I have come with a delicate matter. My wife is a wretch, a shrew if you will. I was forced to marry her by the queen, despite being engaged to the niece of the Earl of Chester. I have some what come to terms with the wretch in that I won’t throw her out into the streets but I refuse to leave that woman a cent when I die. To that end I require your assistance brother, I have 3 children to which I have conceived out of wedlock. Help me legitimize them so that they my inherit my estate and I shall be deep in your gratitude.

Section Editor ES

Arundel's eyebrows shot up past his dark fringe. "I...think you've come to the wrong man, brother." He finally began, visibly confused. "I am no cleric. I certainly don't have the power to legitimize your children by another woman. And I'm afraid I have no advice to improve the state of your marriage, save buying something nice for your wife once in a while. If you refuse to give her even a groat, well I'd imagine that that wouldn't make her any happier to live under the same roof as you, that's for sure." Such was the extent of marital counseling the earl could offer. Was there any problem in the world that could not be solved by throwing money at it? And really, who needed women when one could embrace piles of gold, anyway?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Arundel's eyebrows shot up past his dark fringe. "I...think you've come to the wrong man, brother." He finally began, visibly confused. "I am no cleric. I certainly don't have the power to legitimize your children by another woman. And I'm afraid I have no advice to improve the state of your marriage, save buying something nice for your wife once in a while. If you refuse to give her even a groat, well I'd imagine that that wouldn't make her any happier to live under the same roof as you, that's for sure." Such was the extent of marital counseling the earl could offer. Was there any problem in the world that could not be solved by throwing money at it? And really, who needed women when one could embrace piles of gold, anyway?
    I understand brother that you yourself are unable to help me, but you are an influential man perhaps you may speak to the King on my behalf or perhaps the archbishop? I know you are a busy man brother, If need be I am willing to pay for your time.

Section Editor ES

"...your wife's a Lacy, isn't she?" De Vere finally queried after a few moments of thoughts, his expression unreadable and tone of voice neutral. The Treasurer raised a hand up to his chin and his eyes to the ceiling, evidently sliding into even more thought.

Citizen

Indeed, William nodded in agreement wondering what relevance this had

Section Editor ES