Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] ROMA

Default Re: [PREVIEW] ROMA

Hello, Dresden and Co! Amazing preview, I can't wait for the moment when 1.2.3. will release And I am very happy to see that you have integrated "True Legions" submod into main mod files.
    Also, I have some questions and suggestions.
    1. Unit cards also have been reworked?
    2. Have you reworked another auxiliary units or only those that are in the preview?
    3. Maybe it will be better and more historically if you will rename "imperial" reform units to "augustian", because they look like augustian era romans?
    4. Given to the previous item, may be will add one additional reform with name "imperial" or "principate" (maybe only for IA campaign) that will include legionaries with rectangular scutum and imperial gallic/italic helmet?
    5. What about stylistic match with "AE legions for DeI" submod? Tht submod is very good and I like to play for Roma with it, but stylistic mismatch makes me a liitle sad.

1. Unit cards havent really been changed but dont need to be.
    2. Most units have updates, these are just highlights
    3. Thats a debate for another time, whether or not imperial begins with augustus, later, or even with Caesar
    4. We wont be adding any reforms but its possible to have units upgrade through tech maybe. No plans for that currently
    5. We like and obviously preferred the True Legions submod as is evident in this preview. Nothing wrong with other submods, but this is what we are going with and have already implemented. We will not be adding numbered legions to the mod for reasons I wont go into yet again, but I have explained our rationale many many times over the past 4 years

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Civis

Good job rome needed a little of bit of unite balance!

Clint_Eastwood's Avatar Tiro

bravissimo!!! glad to see my roman brothers have yet again had some DEI Love!! nice one Don Diego and the rest of this very multi talented team! Also CA hands off these guys they produce better work than you so no poaching them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    5. We like and obviously preferred the True Legions submod as is evident in this preview. Nothing wrong with other submods, but this is what we are going with and have already implemented. We will not be adding numbered legions to the mod for reasons I wont go into yet again, but I have explained our rationale many many times over the past 4 years
    Since I'm old and been around DeI for a LONG time, I'll touch on this for people who don't know (speaking from my perspective of course). Basically, numbered legions were put in DeI, a bunch of people complained about them, so they were taken out. So numbered legions will be submod only for DeI.

I have to mention one thing though, Cataphract Legionaries, well at least some of them should have rectangular shields, since during 2nd century AD, those legionaries used to to be armed with those kind of shields. For example in Dacian wars, or during Trajan's Parthian campaign.

They are doing Republican Romans to the Early Imperial Romans mostly Caesarion romans and Augustine Romans. I'm thinking before Varus. Not the claudian Romans. Where you see the rectangular shields. They look great can't wait to get my hands on 1.2.3. Beside i better not see no Germanic evocati gear for winter being raised in the middle of a desert. Lol Great work D.E.I team. Let hope. CA next patch give us big game changer along side your new. System your team put out.

Decanus

Looks amazing as always. Can't wait to crush these new Roman units beneath the heels of my phalanx!

Couple new units for Epirus? Any chance they're getting a trainable elite heavy cavalry unit that uses First Class Population? Or a Hypaspist equivalent using First Pop? Last time I checked, the only units pulling First Class Population were the general bodyguards (horse and infantry) and the Chaonan Agema pikes.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Ecce Roma.

@ Little Legionaire Falcoque, actores vos salutant.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; June 02, 2018 at 07:26 AM.

How many rework this faction has already?
    Pseudo-historians gifted with arrogance, you expected this place to be better?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Geffalrus View Post
    Looks amazing as always. Can't wait to crush these new Roman units beneath the heels of my phalanx!

Couple new units for Epirus? Any chance they're getting a trainable elite heavy cavalry unit that uses First Class Population? Or a Hypaspist equivalent using First Pop? Last time I checked, the only units pulling First Class Population were the general bodyguards (horse and infantry) and the Chaonan Agema pikes.
    They might get something

Quote Originally Posted by Scythion View Post
    How many rework this faction has already?
    Second just like Hellenic factions. They were not updated since 2014 or early 2015.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 03, 2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Merged posts.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

I like most of the True Legion submod, but I wish you had opted to retain the uniform look among the later professional Roman units. As far as I can tell, you have included the submod's yellow shields for some legionaries etc
    Last edited by KennyTheKlever; June 02, 2018 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheKlever View Post
    I like most of the True Legion submod, but I wish you had opted to retain the uniform look among the later professional Roman units. As far as I can tell, you have included the submod's yellow shields for some legionaries etc
    That is simply not true, only pre-marian units have different colors, all marian and imperial units have pretty much the same color of shields for the entire unit, you can see it in the previews itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    1. Unit cards havent really been changed but dont need to be.
    2. Most units have updates, these are just highlights
    3. Thats a debate for another time, whether or not imperial begins with augustus, later, or even with Caesar
    4. We wont be adding any reforms but its possible to have units upgrade through tech maybe. No plans for that currently
    1. Why not? INHO, unit cards also need to be reworked, otherwise there will be a stylistic mismatch between unit and his card (for example: marian legionaries has oval scutum from 1 c. BC, but their cards has scutum from augustian era - 1 c. AD).
    2. Sounds good, want to see another reworked auxiliaries
    3. But other roman reforms was named in honor of someone - Camillan, Polybian, Marian. Only the last reform ignores this rule and named "Imperial". I offer rename this reform based on how units look like. And they are look like augustian era romans in real history. Also, if player play as Roman Republic, it is a little strange to him to play with "imperial" units.
    4. Please, add one little tech which will allow to upgrade some late roman units to 2 c. AD romans.
    5. No, I didn't ask to add numbered legions to main mod. I would like that submod "AE legions for DeI" will have stylistic match with DeI. But probable no one will do an update for this submod

And what about roman factions from IA campaign - Lepidus, Antonius and Pompeius? Have you reworked them too? I want to see them.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; June 02, 2018 at 09:57 AM.

Changing the late "imperial reform" legionaries to a Augustan look and the marian ones back to a "ceasarian look" was a deliberate choice. Due to the time frame of this mod 270bc to around 30bc in IA campaign, these style of Roman units fits the period better and IMO look much more interesting than late 100AD roman units (which are way out of DEI timeframe btw)...

Also it has the bonus of auxiliaries with montefortinos not looking out of place with later roman legions as the styles are closer together etc.

I think late roman armour and rectangular scutums would better fit in a later campaign if we made one in the future such as Hadrien times or later though.

Dont worry I made sure to go through all roman and italian units, so all auxilliries and even the lepidus/antony legions etc were done!
    Could look into updating AE legions submod to match in future, mainly helmets and armour swaps, not to difficult. Agree that at least an official DEI roman legions submod would be good to have.
    Last edited by Don_Diego; June 02, 2018 at 10:27 AM.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...2tWODJyTmlROGs adds equipment from the True Romans mod to AE's legions, but not all of them, since many of the unit variantmeshes use models in their definition rather than referring to centralized assets, which would take a lot more work to alter.

Awesome work, as always...

Thinking about it a great choice to choose the Cesarean and early Augustine era. If you think about it when Augustus said Varus varus give me back my Legions. Palpatine Star Wars said the same thing Vader Vader or Tarkin Tarkin( that depends on who's in charge) give me back my Death Star. It was more of a prestigious problem. A brand new Army the show it's might to be lost it in such a way and most likely very expensive to field. Would drive any person crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Diego View Post
    Changing the late "imperial reform" legionaries to a Augustan look and the marian ones back to a "ceasarian look" was a deliberate choice. Due to the time frame of this mod 270bc to around 30bc in IA campaign, these style of Roman units fits the period better and IMO look much more interesting than late 100AD roman units (which are way out of DEI timeframe btw)...

Also it has the bonus of auxiliaries with montefortinos not looking out of place with later roman legions as the styles are closer together etc.

I think late roman armour and rectangular scutums would better fit in a later campaign if we made one in the future such as Hadrien times or later though.

Dont worry I made sure to go through all roman and italian units, so all auxilliries and even the lepidus/antony legions etc were done!
    Could look into updating AE legions submod to match in future, mainly helmets and armour swaps, not to difficult. Agree that at least an official DEI roman legions submod would be good to have.
    Makes perfect sense, as "true" imperial legions as we recognize them didn't begin appear until 47 AD? 53? Later? Something like that.

I was wondering about the stylistic choice regarding the later roman units. It makes perfect sense to skew Caesarian and Augustan.

That said, with this revamp an official AE submod would look fantastic --when y'all get to that point of course. The Roman revamp is more important, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    1. Why not? INHO, unit cards also need to be reworked, otherwise there will be a stylistic mismatch between unit and his card (for example: marian legionaries has oval scutum from 1 c. BC, but their cards has scutum from augustian era - 1 c. AD).

3. But other roman reforms was named in honor of someone - Camillan, Polybian, Marian. Only the last reform ignores this rule and named "Imperial". I offer rename this reform based on how units look like. And they are look like augustian era romans in real history. Also, if player play as Roman Republic, it is a little strange to him to play with "imperial" units.
    4. Please, add one little tech which will allow to upgrade some late roman units to 2 c. AD romans.
    5. No, I didn't ask to add numbered legions to main mod. I would like that submod "AE legions for DeI" will have stylistic match with DeI. But probable no one will do an update for this submod

And what about roman factions from IA campaign - Lepidus, Antonius and Pompeius? Have you reworked them too? I want to see them.
    As a fellow fan of the mod, I love your enthusiasm. As for your suggested changes, I went ahead and omitted the only things you can't begin to start working on your own. All of your ideas could be welcomed sub mod additions. Be the change you want to see.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast