Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] ROMA

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [PREVIEW] ROMA

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Diego View Post
    Easy enough to make a submod for old shields, if not already done I can make the submod this weekend. Downside though is they use older shield textures although I guess they looked decent enough. For main mod the augustan shields with new textures will be kept.
    Jolly good.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Indeed. Plus it'll be unbearable and impractical for most people to play 600 turns for a reform.
    Filthy casual

I have to do 500 on EB2, but M2TW turn times are much quicker than R2TW turn times, plus I love playing 12 TPY on DEI so that would make it more like thousands of turns to have the year anywhere near accurate

I think the way DEI does things is a perfectly reasonable balance for gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Diego View Post
    Easy enough to make a submod for old shields, if not already done I can make the submod this weekend. Downside though is they use older shield textures although I guess they looked decent enough. For main mod the augustan shields with new textures will be kept.
    Really appreciate it man hope it does not take too much of your time, i've created a topic on submod forums http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...shields-in-DeI

So with this option people will still be able to recruit after imperial reform both early and mid imperial shield style legions.

Thank you again for your time

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Filthy casual

I have to do 500 on EB2, but M2TW turn times are much quicker than R2TW turn times, plus I love playing 12 TPY on DEI so that would make it more like thousands of turns to have the year anywhere near accurate

I think the way DEI does things is a perfectly reasonable balance for gameplay.
    I'm a known 12tpy hardcore user. Turtle style mega campaigns is my style since the beginning of time.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

I dont see anything objectively bad. But this is not my cup of tea I prefer way most units look atm.
    Is there going to be sub mod that keeps current look of units?
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    I dont see anything objectively bad. But this is not my cup of tea I prefer way most units look atm.
    Is there going to be sub mod that keeps current look of units?
    They units will stay as they are in the beta, since it's the last overhaul for them. Are you referring to the beta or your preferred choice is the pre beta Romans ?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 13, 2018 at 07:44 AM.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

His preferred choice is pre-beta which he wants as a submod.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    His preferred choice is pre-beta which he wants as a submod.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk
    Well, Diego was so kind to provide a shield submod already. I don't believe we could have a total roll back submod though.

No it is against my principles to go back to bad looking older units! But anyone is welcome to create a sub mod. Not sure why though, the older montefortinos and mail does not look up to scratch in comparison....

making such a roll back submod would make me very sad...

Most of the changes are upgraded models and textures that just look objectively better, so I am not sure what the problem with them is exactly? Perhaps its the shield choice, which I believe there is a submod for now.

Its not worth our modders' time to go back and undo all of our hard work because someone decides they don't really like it (especially when so far the feedback has been 99% positive).

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I would say 100% but lets be modest.

When romans begins to adopt full rectangular scutum?
    Last edited by GeneralFoda-se; June 14, 2018 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralFoda-se View Post
    When romans begins to adopt full rectangular scutum?
    As I know from middle period of 1st century AD. So at least cataphract legionaries should have those kind of shields in the game.

Found a nice image of legionary equipment. Looks like it says 2nd half of 1st century AD.

we have the first 2 types in DEI for Marian and early Empire.
    Last edited by Don_Diego; June 14, 2018 at 02:03 PM.

I don't believe it's from Osprey, right ? We had issues with them about posting rights etc lately.

Ah OK, will remove it in case... Not certain which book its from.

Ok, thanks.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Imperial Praetorians have become much more generic. They are now just legionnaires in white and blue. Not a fan, there is nothing interesting about them anymore. It may be more historically accurate, but i like it less.
    Marian Praetorians are at least different from standard legionnaires - slightly. But atm they are more different.
    I much, much prefer older Praetorians.
    I would prefer if Praetorians would look more like this
    I also am not a fan of blue shielded Praetorians.

Now that i have had time to digest new units, i much prefer new hastati and principes, both eras. They are brilliant.

Pre-beta i absolutely love Marian Legionnary shields. Would be brilliant to see them kept somewhere somehow. New Marian legionnaires are awesome and one of my favourite units in the game, it just is sad to loose brilliant shield.

And btw
    Why do Equites Singulares have red shields and Legatus have blue shields? Should Praetorians not have blue shields? i much prefer red shields, and would give even Praetorians red shields. And btw why do Evocati have blue shields? just to set them apart?
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; June 17, 2018 at 12:30 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

I summon Don_Diego

Not sure how you see that? The imperial praetorians have cuirass too like the image (I used same for roman tribune outfits) and large plumes like the image. Went with blue/white to make them stand out from normal Roman troops more, if all red they blend in even more... They have unique helmets and large cloaks and do stand out in my opinion. I guess maybe sharing the lorica segmentata makes them too similar for you? But I added that after requests for it.

The older marian shields were ok but the new ones have a much better shape and textures so dont plan on going back to the older ones. In fact I dont even remember how they looked, some where even vanilla with low quality textures.

Equites singulares have white shields with red. And yes the units have different colours to set them apart, cant all be red otherwise no reason for different types of unit?

Seeing as you are the only one to dislike the update (no offence or anything, just the feedback from the vast majority seem much more positive on the changes) I suggest looking into creating a submod to suit your playstyle.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast