Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION & COMMENTARY (Share, comments, questions, and sugestions)

Default Re: DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION & COMMENTARY (Share, comments, questions, and sugestions)

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    JaM and I are both influenced by the work of Kaunitz. His Project summarizes his research and approach to battle mechanics. You can check it out here. Later he attempted to port it to NTW here. Unfortunately, his project never came to fruition. Reading his stuff is like "chicken soup" when I get stuck modding.

It is funny you mention you using Cohesion (a Kaunitz revelation). I use it to affect firing accuracy and I actually receive complaints from it. If you shoot at a range in my mod, you will find yourself lacking "cohesion" and accuracy.

Anyway, JaM and I had many discussions, so many of the same attributes exist. Whenever we get stuck, a PM to each other is sure to follow. LOL
    Music to my ears! And apologies for not being up to date with how the mod was developed in the years after ETWs release.

The thing is that those realism features that you mention are seldom talked about when it comes to modding, at least in my view. Graphics, new units, and effects are always the focal points of overhaul mods. Seeing back and forth discussions on this subject between talented modders is very cool. I didn't realize that Kaunitz was the progenitor of these concepts before even Empire Realism took them as a core element.

Who can complain about having to manage unit's firing and keep reserves? LOL. One of the things that annoy me most when reading or watching other players' AARs is the bog standard "killbox" technique based on nothing but line infantry - having there be a cost and risk associated with firing early is the only solution that I can think of.

This mod is looking better and better, too bad I have no time to play (only mod myself occasionally)...
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Default Re: DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION & COMMENTARY (Share, comments, questions, and sugestions)

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    I think of all the mods being developed on TW this is the one I'm most excited to see have another release. Just such an excellent mod for one of the most promising TW experiences.
    Thank you

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Citizen

Two new ship types made by myfate.
    Fire ship
    As you see the fire ship can explode. It's extremely powerful and can destroy ships of the line. But it's slow, easy to kill so you need to use wisely.

Tonnant-Class
    The French have access to the Tonnant-Class. It's a special third rate with 24 pounders on the upper deck compared to 18 pounders. It has some more men and an improved hull too.

And some screenshots from a battle during a campaign with Hannover against the Netherlands
    General observing the battle

Hanoverian battery

Hanoverian infantry flanking an enemy unit

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Great new update for my favourite ETW mod! Looking forward to playing it. I'm also looking forward to continued work on the early era, although I understand that all the work has to be focused on RotR.
    Also, just a question. What happens when a monarch (for example Friedrich the Great) dies? Will the historical successor (for example Friedrich Wilhelm II) succeed? I've seen some mods use a family tree, but I don't quite remember how this mod works in that regard, since it was a long time ago I used it.
    Last edited by Eldgrimr; March 03, 2019 at 04:10 AM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Eldgrimr View Post
    Great new update for my favourite ETW mod! Looking forward to playing it. I'm also looking forward to continued work on the early era, although I understand that all the work has to be focused on RotR.
    Also, just a question. What happens when a monarch (for example Friedrich the Great) dies? Will the historical successor (for example Friedrich Wilhelm II) succeed? I've seen some mods use a family tree, but I don't quite remember how this mod works in that regard, since it was a long time ago I used it.
    Thanks And let's say, it least the successor should be historical, if the ETW engines plays along. So the startpos is edited to have historical successors.

Wonderful with a new release! and congratulations on the anniversary!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Wonderful with a new release! and congratulations on the anniversary!
    Thanks, and it's ETW 10th birthday so congrats have to go to the CA. Imperial Splendour was founded March 29, 2009, by Quixote07 so our mods 10th anniversary is yet to come.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

A shame Quixote is no longer around on TWC. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Citizen

A shame Quixote is no longer around on TWC. Does anyone know what happened to him?
    I have no idea, I joined the IS when Flikitos was in charge and the original creators were already gone.

Edit:
    Oh, I haven't noticed, this is my 2000th post
    Last edited by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus; March 03, 2019 at 02:41 PM.

When he led the team, it was a very different purpose. It was mostly campaign Changes. When Lazy Knight was in charge, IS v2 was developed with some minor faction changes. You can see some of those units in 2.2.1. right now. When Flikitos / wangrin was in charge IS v3 was developed, which is a major overhaul of the game. When Flikitos unexpectantly left, then wangrin and I continued with v3. wangrin also unexpectantly left. So now it is Quintus and me.

I'm 11,000+

batty1234's Avatar Civis

Great Beta patch, I am really enjoying it. I noticed playing as Prussia that some of the elite units still fire by rank. I wanted to make sure that was intended.

Thanks

The battle mechanic is still being worked on. I have not made any final decisions.

Senator

As a vivid Player of Empire Realism i`d like to ask a question about the Battle mechanics:
    I always found JaM`s take on the whole cohesion / fatique- topic very convincing.
    How does this mod do it? Are there some other special Battle mechanics (unlimited Artillery range for example)?

Thanks in advance, the mod looks great by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    As a vivid Player of Empire Realism i`d like to ask a question about the Battle mechanics:
    I always found JaM`s take on the whole cohesion / fatique- topic very convincing.
    How does this mod do it? Are there some other special Battle mechanics (unlimited Artillery range for example)?

Thanks in advance, the mod looks great by the way
    I explained in on page 8 here.

There are limits to the "Cohesion" approach. The table is designed for fatigue, so the variables are not that simple to mod. I probably clocked close to 500+ hours manipulating it.
    One thing for sure, JaM, like all of us, are making sacrifices for gameplay and engine limitations.

If it was up to me, I would extend the deployment to allow more campaign movement prior to combat. This requires early Art to have Oxens. Someone will have to make the model. This would make Hussars, Dragoons, Horse art and light infantry much more important.

Senator

@Pikestance: Thank you, missed that one completely... and your point about the deployment would be great, especially Dragoons aren`t as useful in all Empire games as they should be.

batty1234's Avatar Civis

I am enjoying the mod and update. I wanted to ask about and provide feedback on a couple things.

1. The flag of Spain on the campaign map is solid red.
    2. The British general unit seems to have a missing rider on one of the horses. It looks like the rider who carries the flag next to the general.
    3. The Dutch provincial cavalry unit has only a black texture for me, but the horse they ride is fine. I assume this is because the Dutch have not yet been reworked?
    4. The British fleets on the campaign map have the voice of a British missionary.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    @Pikestance: Thank you, missed that one completely... and your point about the deployment would be great, especially Dragoons aren`t as useful in all Empire games as they should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by batty1234 View Post
    I am enjoying the mod and update. I wanted to ask about and provide feedback on a couple things.

1. The flag of Spain on the campaign map is solid red.
    2. The British general unit seems to have a missing rider on one of the horses. It looks like the rider who carries the flag next to the general.
    3. The Dutch provincial cavalry unit has only a black texture for me, but the horse they ride is fine. I assume this is because the Dutch have not yet been reworked?
    4. The British fleets on the campaign map have the voice of a British missionary.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Which version?

We have two threads devoted for issues related tot he mod.
    Acien Regime 2.2.1
    Rise of the Republic v1.2

Thanks for your support!

batty1234's Avatar Civis

My apologies, in the future i will post to the technical thread. The items i mentioned are issues appearing in rise of the republic, the most recent version.

Thanks!

Skillreaver's Avatar Civis

What can I say - I've been a fan of this mod like forever because I knew that this mod someday will be the optimal and the best empire experience.The dedication and care for historical accuracy was always mind blowing and after all this years it still is! Seeing this mod in shape of anniversary beta is such a great satisfaction.The reimagined nations , the units...omg THE UNITS...those are the best looking units in the empire modding history.In fact this is how empire should look like in the beginning! There are just no words...really. It recreates XVIII century in the perfect way - the best way.I want to congratulate and thank you for all the hard work and I'm eagerly waiting for the new battle mechanics and of course next nations .Keep on doing what you're doing and take your time! This mod is already great and fun to play and I'm sure it'll only get even better
    Last edited by Skillreaver; March 12, 2019 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batty1234 View Post
    My apologies, in the future i will post to the technical thread. The items i mentioned are issues appearing in rise of the republic, the most recent version.

Thanks!
    No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Skillreaver View Post
    What can I say - I've been a fan of this mod like forever because I knew that this mod someday will be the optimal and the best empire experience.The dedication and care for historical accuracy was always mind blowing and after all this years it still is! Seeing this mod in shape of anniversary beta is such a great satisfaction.The reimagined nations , the units...omg THE UNITS...those are the best looking units in the empire modding history.In fact this is how empire should look like in the beginning! There are just no words...really. It recreates XVIII century in the perfect way - the best way.I want to congratulate and thank you for all the hard work and I'm eagerly waiting for the new battle mechanics and of course next nations .Keep on doing what you're doing and take your time! This mod is already great and fun to play and I'm sure it'll only get even better
    Thank you!
    As long as blood flow through veins, we will see this through to the splendid end!