Thread: Viking 2016 (Russian film).

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Viking 2016 (Russian film).

Hello guys, i just watched the 2016 Russian movie called Viking.

The story is about Kievan Rus Prince Vladimir and his journey to retake Kievan Rus from his two brothers - which leads him and his Swedish viking allies into conflict with the Pechenegs and also earns them an alliance with the Roman Empire.

It's a 10/10 for sure - do not believe the negative reviews because they are probably bought by Hollywood or whatever. I can say the movie is superp - music is befitting of the scenes perfectly, it's very dark and gritty which i love, the battles are amazing (especially for a russian movie), the quality of the movie is more like Hollywood quality from like 1999-2005 and that is better than todays crap in my opinion, it has a good story and all the costumes of the norsemen/vikings, slavs, and pechnegs are historically accurate for once. Romans looked more modern than in American films and TV-series but still had red colors instead of purple - not sure if that's accurate.

All in all it's amazing quality and i suggest downloading english subtitles from this site:

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/sea...idmovie-429982

The english subtitles aren't in perfect english but it wasn't too bad neither - i think it was readable even though sometimes she is a he and other minor mistakes. Still didn't bother me much and i may actually translate it into Swedish.

Fun fact is the Vikings/Norsemen are Swedish actors so i could understand what they're saying. I think they did an awesome job in the battles and such. But i have to say my only minus in this film was that the Swedish actors talked modern Swedish in a very wussy tone - they could have tried to sound more dark in their voice. Like they could have had more of a manly voice. The berserker and one other Swede sounded okay but not the main Swede.

Anyway - besides that i was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see the Rus attack the Roman walls held by Roman rebels at Korinth. There were epic battles against slavs and Pechenegs but the Romans were never shown fighting which was unfortunate. But this movie is not about them so it's okay.

10/10 or 9.5/10 due to wussy Swedish voices.

Movie can be downloaded from Piratebay if it's not available legally - but you'd need to download subtitles separately.

I think this is one of my favourite movies. And it is absolutely the best movie with great Medieval battles that i've seen in ages. Compared to the Vikings TV-show it's much more dark and gritty - and the Norsemen/Vikings actually have helmets looking like those in the WotN mod.

Compared to The Last Kingdom it's still darker i think - with rapings, murder and a very dark age atmosphere. I did always think TLK did a better job than Vikings in terms of being dark and violant though - while Vikings were better as for the story and character developments.

This movie is centered around one person and his story and it's a real thrill following it all. I wish it would have had two more movies.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 26, 2018 at 12:31 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Default Re: Viking 2016 (Russian film).

Hello Mr_Nygren i wacth this movie to very good specialy then i can understend russian and swedish and i must say i like your mods do you think you gona made mod for britania...

Quote Originally Posted by SAMOGITIAN PAGAN View Post
    Hello Mr_Nygren i wacth this movie to very good specialy then i can understend russian and swedish and i must say i like your mods do you think you gona made mod for britania...
    Glad you did also enjoy the movie .

Thanks, well it's not "my mods" because i only modfied what others have already started years back. I am more of a sub-modder. Still - i've done lots of work so thanks!

No, i only have skills with Rome Total War and Medieval 2: Total War: Kingdoms. - I also mostly play only those..

But i am going to buy a new computer and give Total War: Warhammer 2 and Thrones of Britannia a go as for playing - but modifying them no.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 27, 2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Libertus

These lesser know movies tend to be better and more authentic and accurate than what hollywood spits out to make money.They sometimes have mistakes that average viewer would not notice but if you are a history enthusiast or have done little research on the subject of the movie you tend to see flaws here and there.These smaller movie studios movies certainly exist more but where can you find them more and who knows where to search?

Quote Originally Posted by Juzu90 View Post
    These lesser know movies tend to be better and more authentic and accurate than what hollywood spits out to make money.They sometimes have mistakes that average viewer would not notice but if you are a history enthusiast or have done little research on the subject of the movie you tend to see flaws here and there.These smaller movie studios movies certainly exist more but where can you find them more and who knows where to search?
    True. But Hollywood has become a political SJW agenda machine.. The agenda seem more important to them (and earning money) than making actual great movies. Just look at what they did to Star Wars.. In any case - Hollywood used to create quality movies back in the day. I just now realized Batman Returns had feminist dialogue, and it's from 1992 and is one of my all time favourite movies. - Now, i can't stand feminism in movies today, but i really did not mind and do not mind the lines Catwoman deliver in Returns - Why? Because they didn't seem forced and she was a great female character. In todays movies they are often badly written characters with the only purpose of spreading feminist propaganda - back then they had quality behind them so the viewer didn't mind the feminism.

About the lesser known studios i think google is your friend, or Youtube - i found the Viking trailer by chance on Youtube in 2016 and wanted to see it since. But i found an english translation this year.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 05, 2018 at 10:28 PM.

- The Havamal

Libertus

The entertainment value is greatly decreasing for someone who does not go with the mass but if you can be critical and think for yourself not what you been told to think these movies eventually have no value to you.There are many movies that seem great in the trailer but if you look them up in IMDB you can get a unbias reviews which actually helps alot in and you decide that you dont want to see it.There are really few movies that im willing to pay to see in theater.PC and SJW is not yet affecting comedies greatly(not yet)but in mainstream you cant escape it.Eventually i will have no reason to go to theaters.
    Netflix also has sometimes great movies that have no agenda have to mention Beasts of no nation started bit slow but in the end i liked it a lot.

The entertainment value is greatly decreasing for someone who does not go with the mass but if you can be critical and think for yourself not what you been told to think these movies eventually have no value to you.There are many movies that seem great in the trailer but if you look them up in IMDB you can get a unbias reviews which actually helps alot in and you decide that you dont want to see it.There are really few movies that im willing to pay to see in theater.PC and SJW is not yet affecting comedies greatly(not yet)but in mainstream you cant escape it.Eventually i will have no reason to go to theaters.
    Netflix also has sometimes great movies that have no agenda have to mention Beasts of no nation started bit slow but in the end i liked it a lot.
    I agree with you 100%, and as an adopted person i am one of those independent guys who doesn't follow the mass. Even though i used to follow the mass as a kid, because movies back then had great quality overall - in 2018 that isn't the case in more cases than not.

I just watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Djungle, and it had a few 7, many 9 and a lot of 10 on IMDB.

I just couldn't bring myself to like it that much, it had some funny moments - but i am against the entire video-game idea for it, where they turn into like video game characters with three lives and such - i would have prefered that scary djungle from the original with the actual same guys playing the game. And also, it wasn't nearly as scary as that djungle would of been, they turned a bimbo into a man-character and he would have been funny were it not for me seeing politics in everything - as a small kid i would probably have enjoyed the comedy, but as a young man i was annoyed by the politics and how they choose to let bimbo-turned fat-man do the mouth-to-mouth saving of another guy, instead of using the hot chick on the other side of the unconscious man.

It just felt like SJW to me, and resulted in me disliking the movie with the exception of some scenes with the big guy and the black guy.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; July 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM.

- The Havamal

Libertus

I understand movies nowadays are made to create maximum profit when they hit the theaters, because thats when it makes the most money.Movies tend to be somewhat forgotten in few years unless they are really good and exeptional.Everyone is trying to create this huge blocbuster that creates hundreds of millions when it opens but then you have to please too many people and make sure you dont unitentionally hurt someones feeling.Even if you didnt mean it,the hysteria that would follow from it.Netflix and viaplay example, have these series and movies that can be seen only in their platforms.They are in my opinion started to improve because they create content for people to watch in their platform also in the future.They are not creating these make money fast stuff.Because their own shows are in their own platforms.

Back in the day movies were generally better because someone was not complaining that there are way too many white people in it and no LGBT in it.Now a days most movies a what i call a quota person.Someone who is non white hetero male so the movie would have more diversity that is his only reason to be in it
    Last edited by Juzu90; August 23, 2018 at 09:09 AM. Reason: More opinion

I understand movies nowadays are made to create maximum profit when they hit the theaters, because thats when it makes the most money.Movies tend to be somewhat forgotten in few years unless they are really good and exeptional.Everyone is trying to create this huge blocbuster that creates hundreds of millions when it opens but then you have to please too many people and make sure you dont unitentionally hurt someones feeling.Even if you didnt mean it,the hysteria that would follow from it.Netflix and viaplay example, have these series and movies that can be seen only in their platforms.They are in my opinion started to improve because they create content for people to watch in their platform also in the future.They are not creating these make money fast stuff.Because their own shows are in their own platforms.

Back in the day movies were generally better because someone was not complaining that there are way too many white people in it and no LGBT in it.Now a days most movies a what i call a quota person.Someone who is non white hetero male so the movie would have more diversity that is his only reason to be in it
    Agreed.

- But the directors in Hollywood, just like gaming companies - are idiots for listenting to the SJW and feminist big mouths. They should at least in the gaming world listen to the majority of male players instead - and in the movies they could just make them the old way.

I'd guess they let SJW's have too much say.

- The Havamal

Libertus

Totally, back in the day they took risks and sometimes it turned great.They should concentrate in their own trade and not think about peoples feelings so much.When they receive feedback they should think little what of it helps and what not.

It would make no sense for most Roman soldiers to wear purple because that was a color associated with upper classes, back then... And your average Roman wearing purple, would seriously offend the people in the upper classes.