Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake News Clarification: Volume One

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Fake News Clarification: Volume One

At risk of making this a mega thread, I am going to make a modest post:

CNN contributor April Ryan is being criticized for alerting her 336,000 Twitter followers to a story in The Root that asks if the Trump administration is involved in child sex-trafficking.

Among those condemning Ryan for the tweet is first lady Melania Trump’s spokeswoman.
    “If you’re a journalist w many followers & a @CNNPolitics contributor...is it ok to retweet any headline you want, regardless of if it’s true?” Stephanie Grisham asked on Twitter.

“Remember: 'The core purpose of a journalist is to research, document, write, & present the news in an honest, ethical, & unbiased way.'”
    continued at the link: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...king-ring.html

This is a multifaceted 'fake news'. Ryan is using her position at CNN to cover her bias of all things Republican or perhaps a bit narrower in a bias against merely Trump. Of course, FoxNews is then blasting Ryan to cover their own bias against all things CNN. At the end of the day all will either ignore and move on or issue some weak statement meant to pass for an apology. At no point will any of the participants stick to the facts (unless this serves to cover their biased reporting).

Brace yourself for the closing of ranks and wild speculation that she is probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Oh god, the doubling down on the fakeness is making it so much worse.
    You haven't explained what's fake about it? Ponty this is tedious. You just want to do some Emperor's New Clothes bollocks so you can convince yourself you're somehow smarter than anybody else, and nobody is buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    You haven't explained what's fake about it? Ponty this is tedious. You just want to do some Emperor's New Clothes bollocks so you can convince yourself you're somehow smarter than anybody else, and nobody is buying it.
    Oh look, no arguments, just ad hominems. I wish I was shocked by this.

Some people are paying as much as $4 per gallon -- a spike in part related to the US leaving the Iran deal

Of course CCN does not say anything like this in the article -- mainly

Soaring gas prices can be attributed to factors like oil production cuts orchestrated by OPEC and Russia, Venezuela reducing output, and the United State's decision to leave the Iran nuclear deal.
    So the headline is technically not fake news, but incredibly misleading. To be honest, I doubt that any of the CNN story has a single fact supporting the premise of the headline since they are simply stating that 'some people are paying...' is in itself no real reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Oh look, no arguments, just ad hominems. I wish I was shocked by this.
    Okay I will spell it out: there's nothing fake about this article you have posted. It is reporting on something that happened, accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Okay I will spell it out: there's nothing fake about this article you have posted. It is reporting on something that happened, accurately.
    No, it isn't. A glut of evidence has been produced in this thread to the contrary. You've provided zilch. nada. nothing. No evidence. This is an absolute rout, ferrets, I'm embarrassed for you.

SHERIFF (Margaret) MIMS (Fresno County, CA): Now ICE is the only law enforcement agency that cannot use our databases to find the bad guys. They cannot come in and talk to people in our jail, unless they reach a certain threshold. They can’t do all kinds of things that other law enforcement agencies can do. And it’s really put us in a very bad position.

THE PRESIDENT: It’s a disgrace. Okay? It’s a disgrace.

SHERIFF MIMS: It’s a disgrace.

THE PRESIDENT: And we’re suing on that, and we’re working hard, and I think it will all come together, because people want it to come together. It’s so ridiculous. The concept that we’re even talking about is ridiculous. We’ll take care of it, Margaret. We’ll win.

SHERIFF MIMS: Thank you. There could be an MS-13 member I know about — if they don’t reach a certain threshold, I cannot tell ICE about it.

THE PRESIDENT: We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country. You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people. These are animals. And we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before. And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out. It’s crazy.
    I am not going to argue about "my argument" or "evidence" to fluff your inadequacy complex Ponty. The fact is he said this, NPR reported that he said it accurately.

Now, you want to go with the subsequent propaganda drive that he was referring to the gang specifically? Okay you do that, parp on the alt-right trumpet. But it doesn't change the fact he said what he said and it was reported. Sorry the truth offends you. But that's the problem, they're sticky things, facts.

More ad hominems. I'll wait until you can present a cogent argument using sources instead of a lazily cropped version of the dialogue which fails to consider, well, anything other than what...two exchanges? Absolutely pathetic attempt ferrets. Here, I can do the same thing:

“Don’t you believe a word he says, Dill,” I said. “Calpurnia says that’s niggertalk.” (Direct, unedited copy/paste from To Kill a Mockingbird)

Harper Lee is an unforgivable racist. Damn her memory.

Do you have any more intellectual lethargy to display here, or are you going to engage with facts in an honest way?

To summarize: no evidence or argument really other than to ignore evidence and claim that the truth lies in discounting the whole story. Got it.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; May 29, 2018 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Personal references removed.

You can stop complaining about ad hominems. I pity you immensely and they're gonna keep coming. Get thicker skin.

So you're not denying he said this? Then what is fake about this news?

Alright, so still nothing. My skin's plenty thick. I'm here to deal with ideas, something you no longer seem interested in bringing to the table sadly. Of course I'm not denying that is part of the transcript from the meeting. You're engaging in sampling soundbytes and ascribing false and misleading statements based on those soundbytes. It is intellectual fraud at its finest, but sadly seems to be something you've doubled down on three times now while completely ignoring the mountains of evidence offering you the ability to engage with the full context of the discussion. This is just boring, your unwillingness to engage with material honestly.

Here let me try my hand at Obama's speech from 2015:

"We believed we could prepare our kids for...another crisis...and encourage ..misguided ...deficits."

CNN: Obama prepares our children for his planned economic sabotage

This is the sort of ridiculous cognition you're engaging in now, frankly these media outlets are insulting your intelligence. Your partisanship blinds you to that fact.

No Ponty, no lazy whataboutism. I am determined to discuss your topic. Trump said this. It was reported accurately. What makes it fake?

If you think not having a pro-Trump interpretation in the report makes it fake... then you want more fake news, not less.

No substance to reply to.

It's a direct question Ponty, why are you struggling so much with it. If this was reported accurately, and it was, then what is fake about it? Come on put on your big boy shoes, I am not that scary.

Accuracy in reporting requires more than a literal accuracy. In the case of the NPR report, the headline is purposefully misleading by the use of "some" and "unauthorized". Yet the actual quote several paragraphs down was
    Trump's response: "We have people coming into the country — or trying to come in, we're stopping a lot of them — but we're taking people out of the country, you wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals," the president said.
    Notice the headline used editorial comment rather than the actual words used. And this quote was in response to a direct comment regarding California gang members being protected by California sanctuary cities. And not just any gang member, but gang members of a very specific gang, MS-13. What part of headline writing and content in story positioning justifies this by NPR? What part of accuracy justifies this by NPR? Answer - there is no justification, it is out and out editorial opinion by NPR to serve the NPR stated and unstated agenda. Then NPR can count on the news aggregators to pick up the headline link and ignore Trump's actual comments buried deep in the article and separated from the sheriff's comment the now massaged quote is in response to.

I do not know what other members think is fake news, but this seems pretty close to my understanding of fake news.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

More fake news: heard about the Trump admin losing 1500 migrant kids? Wrong. HHS called those whom they gave custody of migrant children. Responding to the call was voluntary. About 10-20% didn’t respond to the call, and that’s where we get our number of 1500. So no, not lost.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/2...dren-lost.html

Lying liberals get caught lying to spearhead fake outrage.

They started spreading images of ''detained undocumented minors under evil Nazi Drumfps'', then it turns out the images were from 2014 under Obama.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They haven't blamed Russia or Cambridge Analytica yet.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

How about these fake news? Every time we have an incident some news outlets claim that the perpetrator was an islamist who shouted Allah Kbar

https://www.infowars.com/identity-re...10-in-toronto/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...-shot-12614595

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

A number of other outlets reported that he said Allahu Akbar, there’s no reports that say otherwise, and Benjamin Herman was radicalised in prison, and converted to Islam, according to Sky News.

https://news.sky.com/story/who-is-gu...olice-11389269
    A source close to the investigation told the AFP news agency that Herman was suspected of having been "radicalised" in prison.
    "He has been reported or presumed to be belonging to the entourage of an Islamist recruiter," the source said.
    Considering the circumstances, its not unlikely this terrorist said allahu akbar to be honest.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8375181.html

He killed a former cellmate the day before. The case reminds me more a dude with rage that wants to harm other people than an "islamist". Mainstream media that try to say that this is an islamist terrorist attack with no serious evidence are a disgrace