Thread: [Rome Total War - Custom Mod] Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

PeaMan's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: [RTW HS] Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Save sent to Spain.

My Modding work.. - Game of Thrones

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel of Time turns
    Citizen

Wow, beat me to it by 3 minutes, had PM'd Bob that I was going to send it on and everything...
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi

Signature by Lifthrasir

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Wow, beat me to it by 3 minutes, had PM'd Bob that I was going to send it on and everything...
    nice to see such a efficient team at work that both admin and sub-admin are so fast{winks}
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

joker0002710's Avatar Tiro

Save sent to Rome

zender9's Avatar Campidoctor

Boosting some win/lose ratio
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vat...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18tk...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1c...ew?usp=sharing

Our mighty Republic is getting stronger everyday. Those who says they can stop us, and those who secretly planning to stop us, Come forth and face the death!

Let all who "secretly" seek the downfall of the Eagle speak freely, for we'd dearly like to hear and aid you.
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinbob123 View Post
    With the Roman Invasion of Syracuse , the greeks were incensed with rage , at the presumptive move [some more so than others for the lose of money the romans had promised], leaving the greeks in a quandary of what to do next. Firstly there was some progress on the diplomatic front , as the greek ambassadors had a productive meeting with the Armenian's , with promises of greek trade particularly of olive oil and wine, were to be exchanged for fine horses of the Armenia peoples.

As for the romans , there was a great deal of Soul searching , as the Spartans leadership disappeared to hold religious festivals [which many of greeks got annoyed at , as the Spartans always seemed to have somesort of religious festival or event , when there was need of swift decision making to be done] and where therefore absent at this current season . Others were frustrated and sent on pilgrimages to the great Temple to Zeus in Olympia, to seek guidance from the king of the Gods, Zeus , to seek inspiration of what direction the greek peoples should seek next
    We graciously accept this establishment of trade and shall make sure you have but the best we have to offer in good trust. By you, we will reach all the world and by us you shall have the wealth of the east at your disposal.

Talks we shall have indeed, our warriors are eager to spill Roman blood and we have gold to aid you.
    There are ever concerns however even for us, pledges made that we need to see through as well.

God watch over you, or least - your Gods.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

REDBOOSTY's Avatar Ducenarius

Egypt turn up

I would also like to propose a rule change, that we implement something similar to the agent rules that are used in some 3age hotseats.
    "Whether a spy may open the gates of a settlement depends on the size of the settlement’s garrison. If a settlement is defended by 720+ elves, 900+ men, or 1500+ orcs, then spies may NOT open the gates"

I feel that Hannibals attack on me was quite stupid, and it makes it extremely hard to defend settlements
    "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"

-G. Patton

Mergor's Avatar T H E | G O R

I would already made my point but forgot to save the long message and Mith doesnt want to send sm back so I can copy paste it. Blame Mith (I will rewrite tomorrow)

Epic Total war's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by REDBOOSTY View Post

I would also like to propose a rule change, that we implement something similar to the agent rules that are used in some 3age hotseats.
    "Whether a spy may open the gates of a settlement depends on the size of the settlement’s garrison. If a settlement is defended by 720+ elves, 900+ men, or 1500+ orcs, then spies may NOT open the gates"

I feel that Hannibals attack on me was quite stupid, and it makes it extremely hard to defend settlements
    I prefer this not to be a rule. The best way to defend your settlements is to keep your armies back from frontier settlments then counter attack if he decides to attack. Prevents people from just turtleing with large garrisons. Would make settlments virtually impossible to take unless you have siege equipment. So makings this
    a rule would severely decrease the value of spies and make the game essentially dependent on siege equipment which would give certain factions that have access to it early such as Rome an extreme advantage. Hannibal's attack wasn't stupid it was smart in my opinion.

The tide of war in the East has now decisively shifted in favor of the Ptolemaic Kingdom. We welcome with open arms the mighty Armenian people as they have joined our struggle to remove the Seleucid presence from the near East.

Our noble diplomat who successfully cleared the way to Antioch last turn has once again cleared the path for our forces to march on Antioch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort Bribe.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	355511

With the road clear, our newly bribed agents entered the Seleucid capital and opened the gates to our forces that had marched on the city.

Name:	Antioch Spies.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	355512

With the majority of the Seleucid army destroyed at Sidon 2 seasons ago, only a token force was left for the defense of Antioch. Our army led by a capable commander was able to march into the city virtually unopposed and was meet with cheering crowds who viewed the Ptolemaic forces as liberators rather than conquerors.

Name:	Antioch Battle.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	355513

Another army in the field was also able to reconquer Damascus from the Seleucids with overwhelming odds.

Turn sent to Admin to solve a problem I was experiencing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fort Bribe.jpg  
    Last edited by Epic Total war; October 25, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

PeaMan's Avatar Centenarius

Save sent to Seleucid.

My Modding work.. - Game of Thrones

So Mith sent everyone a PM I think about a proposal to change agent rules. Here is my answer to him, with another proposal from me.

Agents are mighty indeed, and thus the game requires other strategies and mindset rarely used in HS-s. The latter is important here, the mindset. Too often you would see in manual HS-s with infiltration rules where the person who can build siege earlier, and more wins. Winning the game only requires two things. 1: You make the strategically important units and agents the earliest 2: you don't make a mistake. (Second is true for every HS, so in reality, you only need the first)

If agents are tied to opening the gates, and there is cap to prevent massing up 20-30 spies, now you have a bunch more strategical options.
    1: What do you make? Agents or siege? (Or diplomats, or elephants?) Both viable options with their own strengths as the enemy can't just make more spies and deny you any chance to use them.
    2: How many forts to put and where. (Choke points importance goes up a lot, putting down "fort walls" <-- and not just spamming)
    3: How to conserve enough troops to man the forts, what is the best ratio to recruit troops/ships/agents in your settlement
    4. You can always make sure that you did a good job, but you can't always be sure that the enemy doesn't have the resources to outdo you, there is some luck involved for both sides, thus there always a chance for small comebacks in shifting fronts.
    5. The importance of scouting, and killing spies goes up a LOT.

What happened to REDBOOSTY is sorry to say this, but REDBOOSTY's fault, and not the rules. As said, this game requires a new mindset, and knowing the rules, you made that settlement an easy prey it wasn't simply "easy to lose". I played Macedon in the RTW HS I already did/admined on the Hungarian forums, and there are a great deal of chokepoints you can put defensive forts on up north. Furthermore, I completely agree with Epic Total War, but I wanted to add this, because it is not the fault of the rules.

I however, do understand the concerns for things. I propose that if the players are not happy with the current rules we increase the required percentage to open the gates. Say 57% so a level 6 spy alone isn't enough to open gates. It might also mean that 3 low level spies aren't enough to open gates (added % is much lower) and we know it's harder to level them.
    I also want to propose another rule change, tied not to spies but diplomats which I feel might the broken agents without rules. Maybe 1 diplomat could only do 1 bribe a turn and bribed units couldn't move for a turn.
    If something is OP, it's definitely the diplomats, and not the siege, the spies, or even Rome.

themzr's Avatar Vicarius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mith did not send me a pm. If people are trying to change the rules I think it is only appropriate to consult all members of the hotseat. As for the actual rule in question I agree with merger that diplomats should be limited to 1 bribe/action per turn
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

I was hoping to keep the thread clear from discussion and see if there's interest to start with, before actually putting it forward let alone in thread.

That said, I support not moving bribed stuff for a turn to counter turn order advantage but not the 1 bribe/turn thing.
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes

zender9's Avatar Campidoctor

If we are telling our opinions individiually, I want to say the rules have pros and cons, but the rules apply to all the players. We are supposed to do everything right in our turn and we are trying but the enemy also doing his best. In manual battle hotseats (which I'm not very into because some people can't win some battles that other people could win) there are always some players expand so quickly, even if you put limitations to spies and siege equipments. Anyway, all these things are arguable for me. But I'm always clear on one point, I'm never a fan of changing rules in the middle of a hotseat. It simply changes all the strategies, even some crucial moves people made just 1 turn ago.

Indeed, it should certainly be avoided. When done, done carefully and with clear majority.

Even so, it can be a bit of a slippery slope kind of powder keg xD

I also support no rule changes. Would be a little hipocritical if I supported changing the rules at this point considering most of ideas put forward to change are directly related to things I have done. But I will support any change as long as there is a clear majority.

Edit: After discussing with Mergor and reading his post below I will support the rule change of only allowing diplomats to bribe 1 time per turn. That being said, I am the only one that has done this, although I didn’t really have to because I could have used separate diplomats. So because I have done this to him, I believe Seleucid should be allowed to do it to me if the situation ever arises where he would be able to do so if we do indeed change the rule.
    Last edited by Epic Total war; October 25, 2018 at 05:13 PM.

Normally I'd agree with everything you say zender, and it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the rules are still not rock solid. xD

It is honestly my fault that this is the case, but it is my responsibility to correct my mistakes so we won't have a situation where someone ragequits because his assassin was one tile short of the fifth diplomat and so it bribed the entire defences in one turn.

Thing is, diplomats could be contained by even less restricted spies or agent stomping, but due to the nature of us restricting everything in some way, if we didn't restrict this it means that it's a strat way to strong to balance itself out just by the fact that both players can use it.

It has to be said tho the a currently OP strat would only be nerfed down to a viable strat rivaling with the others since bribes would be still really cheap and diplomats would be still something you need to kill ASAP. So it's not like diplomats become trash.

It basically boils down an unpopular decision now, or a chance to get into a situation later where the gameplay is broken and not fun. This HS is still very much experimental, and we are trying to make a good ruleset for an entirely new game in a single HS, while the "standard" rules of M2TW HS-s took years to perfect.

themzr's Avatar Vicarius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I think It’s a very crippling way of thought to say that rules shouldn’t change in the middle of a hotseat
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

I will upload my turn along with Seleucids as I'm subbing per ArBo's request.