Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: [Rome Total War - Custom Mod] Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

REDBOOSTY's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [RTW HS] Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Save sent to Egypt.

And some Roman troops defeated with OO
    "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"

-G. Patton

Epic Total war's Avatar Tiro

Egypt will answer the Greek call for aid. The naval war has begun.

Several naval battles and OO on a Dacian fort-

https://imgur.com/a/SdTQb9E

Mergor's Avatar T H E | G O R

Extension please

Gaul up

Several heavy blows dealt to each of our enemies, they suffered some major defeats. (The ship deep within your territory was there last turn too after a defeat two turns from before, so I could indeed move it, an oversight from your part)
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/312tslvgg/

PS: Sorry pbob, couldn't wait for your answer since I ran out of time
    Last edited by Mergor; June 06, 2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergor View Post
    Gaul up

Several heavy blows dealt to each of our enemies, they suffered some major defeats. (The ship deep within your territory was there last turn too after a defeat two turns from before, so I could indeed move it, an oversight from your part)
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/312tslvgg/

PS: Sorry pbob, couldn't wait for your answer since I ran out of time

Once upon a time , the great power that was carthage .....agreed that silicy should be divided ....we consulted with there leaders , and they agreed this would be a good thing.....until of course , they betrayed us to Rome , who attacked us.

Three times now , the carthagians have asked for terms[twice for surrender {which we free greeks rejected!} and thirdlyfor a peace], and the greeks have spent valuable time and effort on their behalf, to negotiate such a peace, only for the carthagians to again sally forth against our lands , and those forces of our allies.....! We say to the carthagians herald to depart and trouble us no more...

{ [3:32] greekish responce to carthagian aggression after they ask for a third time for terms and now a peace agreement}

Yes you say you are sorry that you ran out of time.....but for us greeks , it just shows us your intentions are laid clear...and so shall our responce be.....

"I pray thee, bear my former answer back:Bid them achieve me and then sell my bones.
    Good God! why should they mock poor fellows thus?

The man that once did sell the lion's skin
    While the beast lived, was killed with hunting him.
    A many of our bodies shall no doubt
    Find native graves; upon the which, I trust,
    Shall witness live in brass of this day's work:
    And those that leave their valiant bones in Greece,
    Dying like men, though buried in your dunghills,
    They shall be famed; for there the sun shall greet them,
    And draw their honours reeking up to heaven;
    Leaving their earthly parts to choke your clime,
    The smell whereof shall breed a plague in Carthage.
    Mark then abounding valour in our Greeks,
    That being dead, like to the bullet's grazing,
    Break out into a second course of mischief,
    Killing in relapse of mortality.

Let me speak proudly: tell the carthage suffetes
    We are but warriors for the working-day;
    Our gayness and our gilt are all besmirch'd

With rainy marching in the painful field;

There's not a piece of feather in our host--
    Good argument, I hope, we will not fly--
    And time hath worn us into slovenry:

But, by the mass, our hearts are in the trim;

And my poor soldiers tell me, yet ere night
    They'll be in fresher robes, or they will pluck
    The gay new coats o'er the Carthagian'n soldiers' heads
    And turn them out of service. If they do this,--
    As, if God please, they shall,--my ransom then

Will soon be levied. Herald, save thou thy labour;
    Come thou no more for ransom, gentle herald:
    They shall have none, I swear, but these my joints;
    Which if they have as I will leave 'em them,
    Shall yield them little, tell the carthage suffetes."

and so say the greeks.......
    Last edited by paladinbob123; June 06, 2019 at 08:12 PM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Continue
    Last edited by Epic Total war; June 07, 2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: I was wrong

Pbob, you really can't expect me to stay awake all night, waiting for your answer when I have live by my own strict rules regarding turn times. If I demand that you all do your turns strictly within time from you and enforce it with the admins, I won't be a hypocrite and let myself run out of time for diplomacy. So that was not nice. I can always send a different save to Gaul within their time if I ask them and they let me. That is, if I get an answer from you. Which I still didn't.
    Last edited by Mergor; June 07, 2019 at 03:55 AM.

PeaMan's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: [Rome Total War - Custom Mod] Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Gaul subbed, saved passed to the germans.

My Modding work.. - Game of Thrones

themzr's Avatar Vicarius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Germans played and Britannia subbed, Next player!
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

Captainnorway's Avatar Primicerius

Dacia up

defeated some ships https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WVS...ew?usp=sharing
    defeated some of the smaler ones shown on the pic, such great ods that I didn't take screens

Greeks up.

Two battles with OW.

Attacked from both carthage from the west and southwest and the roman's from the northwest and north, the greeks knew that there position was certainly rocking from the multiple blows they were taking, and the Gulf of Corinth had been taken with a massive roman fleet which additionally contained agents and ground troops alike. Forced back from the mountain passes in the north by roman action , macedon stepped upto the plate , and with there mighty cavalry routed the romans in the northern mountains , taking control of the northern passes putting them in a valuable position.

On the mainland of the Peloponnese the roman's stormed inland taking Corinth by storm , and smashing one of the greeks defensive positions on the coast, this was supported by the carthagian's who committed there main fleet smashing the main fleet of the greeks , and gaining control of the south seas, and landing troops on the spartan port so to deny it from the greeks. Armenian's and more importantly Egyptian fleets reacted and a general melee began at sea , as five factions sought the dominance of the south sea's around greece .

The spartan's joined forces with some hoplites from corinth and the spartan's grudging allowed them to join them in the fight to retake the port, against the carthagian general and his bodyguard who had remained at the port, his slinger company having bordered the nearby carthagian naval vessel. Walking in formation up the hill , the hoplites engaged briefly felling three riders, for the loss of one hoplite. A sequence of calls and insults then was called from either side before the hoplite's resumed there advance and the carthagian general not wishing to call the retreat and show weakness in front of his men , ordered another charge. The hoplites stopped, and braced for the attack , holding shields and spears at the ready, as horses smashed into the hoplite line , a full half of the riders fell to the spears, and the rest were hacked down from the supporting spartan hoplite unit who allowed the corinthian's the honour of the front rank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reclaiming spartan port [land].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	358458

The port being cleared from the Carthaginian foot troops , greek naval forces came to retake the port, sending the carthage fleet retreating back to the south , after receiving many losses to greek naval rams and the spartans briefly celebrated the resumption of naval trade and the regaining of their fishing waters, but the corinthian's reminded the spartan's that Corinth was not free from roman oppression . Greek shipping however pursued carthage ships where they could , catching and sinking one to the west of crete with help from armenia shipping.

Name:	reclaiming spartan port.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	358459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chasing slinger fleet.jpg 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	358460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CARTHAGE SANK.jpg 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	358461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attacking scattered carthage fleet at rhodes.jpg 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	358462

Back on land, Spartan and Corinthian forces moved against the City of Corinth, Engineers had bought up ballista's and begun to destroy the gatehouse , which had been partly damaged before [prob the romans] and these had not been repaired. The shots easily broke the tower defences, and the mighty bolts then proceeded to smash the great iron gates to the city. Once this was achieved to great praise for the engineers , the mercenary slingers sneaked into the city , and with a few rapid fire throws of slingshot bought the roman town militia to there knees , perishing to the last man.

Name:	retaking corinth.jpg 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	358463

Spartans , corinthians , athenians and other greek cities now prepared for a major roman offensive , from there comfortable position within the gulf of Corinth , and readied there defences for what could be the extinction of greek power in the Peloponnese. The wise people of Athens sighed at the news of the roman fleet, for long had they proposed that there should be a canal in the Isthmus of Corinth , even the Tyrant of Corinth Periandus ,had tried it and failed , instead making a land portage scheme called the Diolkos . The spartan's grinned at the challenge , for perhaps they had'nt seen such a conflict that threatened their own state since the "Battle of Champions" against Argos for the dominance of the Peloponnese.

-------------------

Canal at Corinth in the Isthmus

Several rulers of antiquity dreamed of digging a cutting through the isthmus. The first to propose such an undertaking was the tyrant Periander in the 7th century BC. The project was abandoned and Periander instead constructed a simpler and less costly overland portage road, named the Diolkos or stone carriageway, along which ships could be towed from one side of the isthmus to the other. Periander's change of heart is attributed variously to the great expense of the project, a lack of labour or a fear that a canal would have robbed Corinth of its dominant role as an entrepôt for goods. Remnants of the Diolkos still exist next to the modern canal.

The Diadoch Demetrius Poliorcetes (336–283 BC) planned to construct a canal as a means to improve his communication lines, but dropped the plan after his surveyors, miscalculating the levels of the adjacent seas, feared heavy floods.

The philosopher Apollonius of Tyana prophesied that anyone who proposed to dig a Corinthian canal would be met with illness. Three Roman rulers considered the idea but all suffered violent deaths; the historian Suetonius writes that the Roman dictator Julius Caesar considered digging a canal through the isthmus but was assassinated before he could begin the project. Caligula, the third Roman Emperor, commissioned a study in 40 AD from Egyptian experts who claimed incorrectly that the Corinthian Gulf was higher than the Saronic Gulf. As a result, they concluded, if a canal were dug the island of Aegina would be inundated. Caligula's interest in the idea got no further as he too was assassinated before making any progress.

Remains of Nero's canal project in 1881
    The emperor Nero was the first to attempt to construct the canal, personally breaking the ground with a pickaxe and removing the first basket-load of soil in 67 AD, but the project was abandoned when he died shortly afterwards. The Roman workforce, consisting of 6,000 Jewish prisoners of war, started digging 40–50-metre-wide (130–160 ft) trenches from both sides, while a third group at the ridge drilled deep shafts for probing the quality of the rock (which were reused in 1881 for the same purpose). According to Suetonius, the canal was dug to a distance of four stades – approximately 700 metres (2,300 ft) – or about a tenth of the total distance across the isthmus. A memorial of the attempt in the form of a relief of Hercules was left by Nero's workers and can still be seen in the canal cutting today. Other than this, as the modern canal follows the same course as Nero's, no remains have survived.

{showing the depth of canal between the gulf of corinth and the Saronoc Gulf}

The Greek philosopher and Roman senator Herodes Atticus is known to have considered digging a canal in the 2nd century AD, but did not get a project under way. The Venetians also considered it in 1687 after their conquest of the Peloponnese but likewise did not initiate a project.

{canal as seen from above today}

-----------------------------

Battle of the 300 Champions between Sparta and Argos

The Battle of the 300 Champions, known since Herodotus' day as the Battle of the Champions, was a battle fought in roughly 546 BC between Argos and Sparta. Rather than commit full armies both sides agreed to pitting 300 of their best men against each other.

According to Herodotus Sparta had surrounded and captured the plain of Thyrea. When the Argives marched out to defend it, the two armies agreed to let 300 champions from each city fight, with the winner taking the territory. Presumably the idea was to reduce the total number of casualties. Both armies marched home, so as to prevent either side from helping their champions and escalating the duel into a full battle.

Neither side would allow for any injured men to be taken. The day called for complete destruction of the enemy force for victory. The two armies were evenly matched and neither could gain the upper hand. They fought until nightfall, and after a bloody battle only three men remained, two Argives and one Spartan. The Argives, Alcenor and Chromius, believing that they had killed all of the Spartans, left the battlefield racing home to Argos to announce their victory. However, they had made one mistake: Othryades, an injured Spartan, had survived. As he was technically the last man standing on the battlefield from either army, he too claimed victory. He survived long enough to tell his baggage handlers of this, and then he committed suicide. By tradition, Othryades was ashamed to be the only man in his unit to live, and so he killed himself on the field of battle rather than return to Sparta. The reason for the suicide is up for debate, but the act is of great importance. Othryades did not die by an Argive sword, and the Spartans could always claim that he survived the battle and killed himself in shame, thus gaining an upper hand due to this act of honor.

Both sides were able to claim victory: the Argives because more of their champions had survived, and the Spartans because their single champion held the field. Argos did not take too kindly to the Spartans claiming victory and sent their entire hoplite army which was met by a Spartan force of equal magnitude. The Spartans won a decisive victory and as a result gained control of Thyreatis.

Pausanias adds that the battle was foretold by the Sibyl, and that the Argives considered themselves the victors and dedicated a bronze sculpture of the Trojan horse at Delphi to commemorate the victory. However, Pausanias says that the sculptor of this horse was Antiphanes of Argos, who dates to ca. 400 BC. Therefore, either Pausanias is mistaken, or he is confusing this with a battle at Thyrea in 424 BC.

Years later, in 420 BC during a lull in the Peloponnesian War, Argos challenged Sparta to a rematch of the Battle of the 300 Champions. Sparta declined. Argos tried many times challenging the spartans to a rematch whenever there was strife and conflict within the Peloponnese and the spartans with a grin refused each time

turn passed to admin for the next faction of spain
    Last edited by paladinbob123; June 13, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Our new spanish player is GeneRombo of Antwerp. Due to anti-spam TWC measures as he just made his profile, he can't post yet, but he did the save and it was sent to rome. OP updated, you can access his page by clicking on the name.

zender9's Avatar Campidoctor

Flavius who learned the city Corinth very well, knew how to take it back easily once the pressure is gone. He went inside with his personal bodyguards. The weak garrison had no chance againts elite roman cavalry. Soon the city and so the position was in Roman control again. He was hoping this would distract and stall Greeks meanwhile his army launch an assault to Macedons.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...15676443/1.jpg

Men under Captain Gaius quickly captured the fort and killed all watchers and sentinels. Mountain passage was secure and unprepared Larrisa was free to siege.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...89886723/2.jpg

Romans had men inside the city long time ago now. And definitely Roman gold was something for those Macedons that guard the gate. Once a great empire, was about to end. The gates wide open, Romans marched inside. There was no defence on the walls, having no manevour chance in the streets, Macedon King gathered his men in the center. Yet anyway his cavalry power meant nothing in the city. They were slaughtered, and city fell.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...84634881/3.jpg

Young Abreas was on hunting at the north of the city, having no idea of fall of Larissa, camping peacefully with his man. With a night ambush, Romans ended a memorable dynasty.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...81187328/4.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...39856650/5.jpg

Naval skirmishes:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...42632704/6.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...80635393/7.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...29314561/8.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3-01-38-04.jpg

German Spy:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...26405120/9.jpg

I played this turn and sent it to Carthage. Will post pics later

I need an extension

General Dragon.'s Avatar Champion of Dragons
    Citizen

Germania up!

Killed a roman diplomat
    https://imgur.com/KO6B9xE

"
    The Dragon is wise, a sage among the ignorant. He knows not all that glitters is gold."

themzr's Avatar Vicarius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Turn passed on to next player.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great