Thread: CPU specs?

Default CPU specs?

okay, I'm looking at a computer that has a Intel core i7-8700 3.19 GHz. I have been looking over some old forums and there were a couple of comments claiming that you need 4.0 GHz. is this the case? and if so, what do I need to play on ultra?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: CPU specs?

No, GHZ isn't really that important. An i7 8700 is plenty to play pn ultra settings, though of course your other components have to be factored in
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

GPU is NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060
    storage is 240GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    16 GB DDR4

and is there anything else that I need to worry about?

Blog Entries

Well, a GTX 1070 would probably be the best, but the rest looks good. Your cooling solution and power supply also factors in, but isn't as important if they're good enough
    and Peaman

I'll have to look into it. from what I remember it has 3 fans. I'm in the process of learning about gaming PCs, so I'm not exactly sure what is what at the moment.

Not quite sure what Athelstan meant but ghz is always important with any game really...get it as high as you can. I.e Overclocking. Can be a good 15fps difference.

Pcs are generally about balance. Right cpu+gpu for the right resolution. The rule is generally thus and I dont think it has changed much. Higher resolutions need a beefier gpu which in turn need a beefier cpu..preferably a min quad core and a "k" version which you can hit as prev mentioned around 4ghz.

e.g my own is stock 3.4ghz running @4ghz with a 970 oc'd as well running @1920x1200. Yep I could do with an upgrade but it's enough. (for 4xaa and a mix of high's etc...I lower shadows and some things...shadows for me is something the warscape engine has never excelled at).

p.s so bottom line if you are interested in running the game as high as you can get a "k" version and a decent cooler that can cope with the higher temps ocing entails. (ofc you need the right mobo plus ram and a solid psu not some cheap crap. Nowadays most boards can even auto it for you to at least get to 4ghz. But some with some research will do 5ghz pretty easily...that said u are looking at a £1000 pc more or less).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; May 22, 2018 at 06:35 AM.

Blog Entries

GHz plays a part, but isn't everything. For example, an i7 920 clocked at 4 GHz probably won't outperform an i5 8400, clocked much lower.
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    GHz plays a part, but isn't everything. For example, an i7 920 clocked at 4 GHz probably won't outperform an i5 8400, clocked much lower.
    I believe its still the biggest difference in terms of fps. Moreover you pair a beefy gpu with a weaker cpu it offers diminishing returns on your investment if you cant bump up your cpu speed. I dont know actualy figures but overclocking cpus still works like this I believe.

However does depend on the engines optimisation and which game in question. Generally total wars have always performed better with beefier cpu than gpu. Unless our esteemed friend Alqamar wants to correct me.

If anything the OP should head over to the benchmark section and perhaps ask him. I am a bit out of the loop as it were.

But if I were to buy a new cpu it would be an intel K version prob around the £200-300 mark. Yes might seem expensive but my 920 has done 4ghz 24/7 for 5 years now! Not bad for an ol warhorse no?

p.s and if anyone wants to test and has an i5 8400 that could actually be quite interesting! Would show you perhaps whether its worth spending that extra for a cpu.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; May 22, 2018 at 06:48 AM.

Right. well I don't intend to even bother with 4k to be honest. and I did check on the total war site (not sure if it was on steam or the actual page) and it claimed that I would be able to run Thrones on Ultra, though I don't know how this would transfer into something like attila or ancient empires.