Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Community] Campaign Experience - Share Your Empire

Default Re: [Community] Campaign Experience - Share Your Empire

Another example of the baffling passivity of the CAI. Three full Seleucid stacks here, they siege and leave on the next turn. I like for the AI to win sometimes, Thanks for all your hard work guys.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1403210648
    Last edited by stevehoos; June 05, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

I was watching pre-release screens of the late stage campaign so i've got some questions to the community:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why there are no hordes around? Do barbs even able to HORDE?
    There are no Seleucid satrapies as it were in vanilla Rome 2, aren't there? Maybe they can merge? How is Seleucid, do they deal with rebellions and freedom fighters and collective hatred and all that disruption stuff like it was in original game?
    Why there are no desolated settlements? Does AI burn them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Gendo View Post
    Why there are no hordes around? are barbs even able to HORDE?
    If they are - do they?

*idk if the right spelling is "aren't barbs" or "are ..." maybe if you care... sry if your eyes melt
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; February 02, 2019 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    -One positive thing to note, I offered the Seleucids 100,000 for a peace treaty and they would not accept.
    Haha, money ain't their game?

Thanks for the feedback. Trade resources should be built by the AI now, but in truth I've had no time to test it paper translates into practice. Hopefully people will return on that subject if the issue persists.

Army maintenance is relatively much, much higher in the new update. Losing an army can cost you a war, literally. Rome has, ironically, become one of the more strategically challenging starts owing to their widespread territories with slim resources to defend each border. Havoc played 25 turns into the new version and only just then managed to raise his third force as Rome while staying afloat financially; slow expansion is a key word to describe what the changes brought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Gendo View Post
    If they are - do they?
    There are plenty of horde factions around, particularly concentrated in Iberia and Gaul. You will likely encounter them early on as Rome. In terms of your other question - I think a faction can disband their settlememt and migrate, but don't take my word for it.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; February 02, 2019 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Merged posts.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Situation is tense. I initially razed Carthage but within a few turns Carthage Adirim had spawned and retaken Carthage. Kind of bizarre how none of the land was rebuilt, but this faction managed to raise 2-3 stacks.

So, after Carthage was razed, I focused all efforts on expanding in Iberia through division and plotting certain factions against one another and then taking out the weaker ones until I had virtual total control over the peninsula with 2 client states. Following the Iberian invasion, I moved north and conquered the Gauls of northern Italy. Currently I'm in a bit of trouble with popular support after adopting the Scipio's into my family, so I've sent my faction leader to destroy Carthage once and for all in an attempt to dramatically boost his popularity and restore order.

First of all thanks to the people behind this mod, great stuff. Apart from being fun, it is a history lesson on the Ancient period.

Like others I found it hard going at first playing Rome, about 4 restarts after bankruptcy and being assaulted from all sides, before I started to get the hang of balancing all the new buildings to ensure adequate income. I have noticed that no other faction appears to be producing any trade goods at all. Also, can I ask if the Roman Triarii are intentionally super soldiers or are they going to be tweaked? I had two units of them in square formation hold off almost a full stack of Illyrians in a siege battle, so perhaps a bit over powerful?

I am enjoying the settlements all being fortified, at least now you cannot simply bulldoze your way through a region one turn after an other against virtually defenceless towns. Thanks again guys, I cannot wait for the full release.

While I appreciate all the hard work going into this Mod, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to write it off for now. At least until the stability and balance issues are fixed.

I've tried several play-through's as Pergamon and Macedonia, and it always ends up the same; Things are starting to go well, picking up steam, when all of a sudden wealth and food begin to wildly fluctuate after the 10-15th turn. This in turn leads to problems with Public Support, rapidly spiralling until discontent makes it impossible to raise or replace troops.

Again, I love what you're trying to do for this mod, but some major problems exist with key features:
    * Politics, if playing as a Greek state, is practically impossible. Even having Rome at 80+ reputation with my faction, I had to heavily bribe them to gain a Defensive Treaty. Same goes for trading, even when offering several different Commodities, to any faction even with good relations.
    * Food, fluctuates too greatly between the Winter and Summer months, even understanding the direction this feature is meant to achieve. As Pergamon, before expanding, I was hitting 280 in the summer and -50 in the winter. It seemed like higher level Food production buildings actually made the situation worse.
    * Native Populace discontent has to be the single worst idea, or at least worst implemented, of the features in AE currently (besides the Naval supply portion of the Supply Mod). Every single play through is hampered by this, even w

I defeated Hannibal at Zama, then the barbarians attack the northern Italian cities, which means I'm at -2000 income. In my infinite wisdom I (pre turn1) left Italy COMPLETELY unguarded, and now I need to go back to Italy and relieve those cities, but I can't because my income is throttled in the siege and by the tim eI get back there my army is at 1/4 strength...And I guess no one heard of stock piling? Not to mention the mass rebellions I'm having all over the republic.

I do appreciate the mod, but my biggest problem with it is that the income and food per turn indicators are absolutely useless and there's no way to even half accurately predict what my next turn will look like. Also the forced fight at turn 1 gets really old really fast when you have to restart every update and have to play the same battle over and over, a skip battle would be nice as the auto resolve thinks all your men are made of hopes and dreams.

Just my honest criticism, I believe with some tweaks to the economy and food system, this could rival DeI in time.

Just letting you know, food seems to be bugged from seasons. A suspicion from earlier that some (but not all) provinces triple the seasonal effects, including fertility, has been confirmed. This explains why food, and to a lesser degree income from farmland, fluctates much more than it should between Summer and Winter. Naturally, it will be prioritized.

Diplomacy is a work in progress. We haven't changed much here from Vanilla.

Native discontent needs to be rebalanced slitghly. It hits certain factions very hard, such as Parthia, having no cultural influence in one of their cities. The friction between some cultures is much higher than others, which is intentional, but makes the balancing process deceptive. Rest assured that there will be more updates to come adressing this in the nearest future.

It's nearly impossible to achieve higher ranks on your units above a certain point. One battle i get them leveled up to rank 4 (silver 1), then the very next turn I start a battle and they are already back down to rank 3 at the beginning of the fight. So i think xp ticking down over time needs to be nerfed to be much slower.

I don't think it makes 100% sense that if you have a full unit of rank 6 men, half of them die and are replaced by rank 1s, after replenishment they should be rank 3.5. That makes sense math wise, but not really if you think about it in real life. Let's assume a unit wins their engagement during the battle, and routs the opposing unit. Chances are, the more naturally talented fighters will have had a higher survival rate than the less naturally talented fighters. Then when you replenish, you are replacing lower than average talent fighters with average talent fighters, AND your talented fighters gained experience. So I don't think the unit experience should go down 1 for 1 as you lose experienced warriors in winning engagements.

Now if you lose an engagement, who is likely to survive? Now this is probably skewed towards the cowards and the weaker fighters. Think of a small skirmish, where each side has 5 people. They got 1 dude who is clearly the best fighter, and 1 who is clearly the worst fighter, and 3 in the middle. If the weakest fighter dies, it does nothing to the team really, and it would probably only embolden the other fighters on the same side to keep on fighting and avenge their fellow man. If the strongest fighter dies, there is a good chance that the whole unit routes.

I don't know i'm just rambling now but I think the experience could be reworked a little bit to be more fun and more historically accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Just letting you know, food seems to be bugged from seasons. A suspicion from earlier that some (but not all) provinces triple the seasonal effects, including fertility, has been confirmed. This explains why food, and to a lesser degree income from farmland, fluctates much more than it should between Summer and Winter. Naturally, it will be prioritized.
    Is that a result of seasonal effects being applied per region not per province? Three regions per province = three times the effect.

I know the same thing happened for some edicts in vanilla and other mods. Those which say they will add (for example) +4 to religious conversion will actually add +12 in a province where you control all three regions.

Maybe applying seasonal effects only to the provincial capital settlement might fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimulfr View Post
    * Food, fluctuates too greatly between the Winter and Summer months, even understanding the direction this feature is meant to achieve. As Pergamon, before expanding, I was hitting 280 in the summer and -50 in the winter. It seemed like higher level Food production buildings actually made the situation worse.
    You need some cattle buildings, not just farms. Try to build food buildings where the food production is fixed and doesn't vary so much with fertility. Also consider switching regions to the import food edict before winter if you think they may run scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimulfr View Post
    * Native Populace discontent has to be the single worst idea, or at least worst implemented, of the features in AE currently (besides the Naval supply portion of the Supply Mod). Every single play through is hampered by this, even w
    Absolutely disagree with this - for me native discontent keeps the game interesting as you can never ignore a province and assume it will always be fine for public order. Certainly much better than vanilla where you could conquer a province, build a temple / entertainment building and forget PO for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt212 View Post
    Also the forced fight at turn 1 gets really old really fast when you have to restart every update and have to play the same battle over and over, a skip battle would be nice as the auto resolve thinks all your men are made of hopes and dreams.
    Yeah, I do agree with this - perhaps a scripted option to resolve the battle reasonably in the player's favour would be useful for people who can beat the AI easily (i.e. everyone) but don't want to spend 15 mins doing it over and over again every time they start a new game.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; February 02, 2019 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi guys! First I wanna thank you for all the hard work. Without it this beautiful gem called "Ancient empires" wouldn't exist! And I'm sure this is the voice of the community!
    I play with Carthage. It's just the beginning with some restarts (ok ok- many) but the experience is awesome! Sieges fell kind of are inconsistent with the attrition or it's just all my provinces are revolting at the same time, but it's definetly one of the best mods out there! So keep up with the great work. Cheers!
    Oh, i have a question. About the desolate land north-east -east- are you going to put some more factions up there like in the vanilla? Parthia and Bactria seem lonely.

Well to start off mod is FANTASTIC, but there is alot that could improve it so much
    #1 Factions don't expand or build any armies not too much interactive, feels like the focus is just stabilising economy after that u just spam armies and u win at least for romans. Farms are op, industry should be the one that builds up economy but feels like farms are crazy compared to industry. If factions would expand and conquer and then start war with other factions and get crazy economy it would be much more interactive.
    #2 Adding Generals ageing and change in fascial-hair etc
    #3 Making recruitment less powerful especially for rome starting position its too broken that u can make a legion in one turn
    #4 Improving autoresolve
    #5 Adding supply for armies etc would be actually game changing
    -in overall really good mod but way too easy

Erik Hammarstrom's Avatar Foederatus

Icon14 Macedonia on legendary

During King Philip V's successful campaign agaist Pergamon, the Thracians declares war on his kingdom.
    Sailing back to defend the capital Philip V realises that he has made it in time as the barbarians are still massing to the north.
    The Macedonians now has the initiative and march to lay siege to the Thracian, yet so roman sounding, city of Trimontonium.

Although the Thracian army and garrison are outmatched by the two Macedonian forces the sieged Thracians are joined by yet two more armies from the north and the east putting the Macedonians at a disadvantage of almost 2 to 1. The Macedonians deploy their forces on a plain outside the city and form up the phalangs for a defensive stand with multiple lines of reinforcements to avoid getting overrun by the elite Thracian shock troops. The Thracian army composition shown are of more or less the same for their three armies except for their garrison. The second Macedonian army commanded by Philips son, Perseus, consists of mostly support infantry with 3 units of archers and 7 or so peltasts of different quality, ranging from the lowest peasants to the kings own men. This leaves the Thracian an advantage at range as their archers number 3 to 1 and their javelin armed units around 2 to 1. But even with their lesser numbers, the Macedonian cavalry roughly has the same strength as the Thracian being heavier and better trained, holding them in reserve for the crucial moment will be the only hope for King Philip V.

The Macedonians number 8 305 and the Thracians 14 160.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Macedons vs Odryssians.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	414.8 KB 
ID:	354082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrric 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	402.9 KB 
ID:	354083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strategic retreat.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	354084

The Macedonians lose more then half of their army, out of 8305 men, only 4 399 is still alive.
    However the Thracian losses are staggering, 11 703 lay dead on the field as a testament to Macedonian skill and conviction.
    The few surviving barbarians of around two and a half thousand run for the hills. Victory at last!

After this truely pyrric battle Philip V plans for a full invasion of the crumbeling Thracian confederacy and start marching north.
    His scouts discovers that the Thracian were more resourseful than he first though and have managed to raise an impressive force outside Marcianopolis. Philip must retreat and reform his army. This war is far from over.
    Last edited by Erik Hammarstrom; July 06, 2018 at 07:14 PM.

Civis
    Malang city, East Java province, Indonesia

When I play as Roma, till 1.02c, first, I'm really surprised with one faction and they are one of neighbor faction, the Dalmatae one of faction which have Illyrian culture.
    from early till mid of my campaign, they seems friendly (yes, i know, they are pirates), non aggression pact, trade agreement, without ask any money to me (they good in money management.

then they decided to make Us as their defensive alliance, and then ask to be military alliance, then I really what they are doing in my campaign.
    The Dalmatae, make really massive huge armies, I seen around 12 armies banner, wow, and I'm sure that is not all of their armies, at least 1 banner have around 4 army slot.
    ok, look like this not good, from where they got the money ??? but they do it normally, they already expand their territory, I check they are good with city management/planning, maybe and not only that, they routine sacking their enemies (they have around 6 enemies at the moment and not only their celtic and hellenic factions).

and then, their leaders make a mistake, a huge mistake, i think, they begin to attack Ptolemy/Egypt cities in asia (but, this still look smart for an Ai faction), Egypt send many battle ships but they Dalmatae always win in the end. Egypt always ask Roma help (they have non aggresion pact with me), I reject it, Dalmatae is my alliance, but I always give small money when reject Egypt request to attack Dalmatae.

Their huge mistake, begin. The Dalmatae suddenly declare war to Roma,Lol (they upset because I just give 150 money for 4 time to Egypt, they really temperament, then).
    I'm shocked, all of My legion is at Spain region, to fight with rebellion and to help Our Iberian tribes ally fight their Iberian/other tribe enemy and their Rebel, and other still in Africa, fighting against rest of Carthage noble. OmG, that pirates is smart....

They really smart, they come to region of Venetia, only pass the Venetia tribe (which have non aggression pact with Roma and maybe with them too), come to Venetia capital which owned by Rome and begin the siege (they only siege it, never try to attack with around 3 armies banner 2 with full stack of 20, another with 19 stack of armies)
    They also send lots of small stack of armies, but lots of general, so many army banner sacking all Latin minor settlement (I have try to defend it)

when I try to be defender, I see they have no ballista, catapult or other, even they aggressively attack minor settlement which has been walled even without ladder, ram, or any siege unit, wew, they really a real aggressive and brave pirates, so they advance their army/warrior, come to the gate and break the gate with axes only, I'm surprised, shocked, but honestly have impression with their act>>>then all minor settlement in Latin region sacked

when My Legions come >>Carthage have peace treaty with Us, rebellion in spain vanished, peace treatry with Iberian tribes (I think and decided let's Iberian fighting with each other, We have more important matter of state, pheeww...) We (Roma armies with Dalmatae armies) meet at the border of Venetia and Dallamatia region, near the beach, region owned by Breuci faction, sorry I forget the name of their city, and that Breuci is still Dalmatae defensive ally, luckily they choose to be neutral with Our conflict.

then here is the main story, which make me up set, but on another side, make me love with Ancient Empire more.
    Roma command around 3 thousand armies and that Dalmatae lead more than 5 thousand armies
    Roma win, with rest of army is around 2100, Dalmatae lose, but that lose or army is still around 3 thousand, Lol, they are really smart, Roma legion slaughter many of them but many of them just run and rout to fight again.
    Second battle, still lead by 2 General from Scipio family and another one from Julia, I still have backup from another General from other family, all is full stack with principes, 2 ballista (except the backup army), 2 or 3 equites, and 2 or 4 triarii
    the Dalmatae still have many armies, with lots of various kind or army, from the levy till their nobles, I'm even see some mercenary, wow, they really have lots of money for they war hobby
    >>>>>>Scipio ask to a commander who spy the Dalmatae after win the second battle with huge of loss of Roman and also for Dalmatae
    General Scipio : it seems We have win, I'm optimist, let I hear Your report after You have spy them ?
    a Equite (spy) : Yes, Roma is destined to win General, but I must report, I see lots of them coming, now around 7 army banner come to Us
    General Scipio : Relax brother, that only a complete cheap pirates trick from small and low rank tribe like them, recruit lots of general but 1 banner maybe 1 or 2 stack only
    a Equite (spy) : forgive Me, General, I must tell You, the smallest army stack from their upcoming banner is 6, other is more
    General Scipio : whattsss ??? I never informed this game have "pirates invasion dlc or expansion" what kind of disaster is this......We are not fight with Dalmatae, look like they call all of Illyrian on this world to fight against Us, from they farmer to their nobles....

Look like, My dream and planning to occupy Dalmatae region and then start ware to Breuci to completely have Dalmatia region must be paused for now.
    We have agreement of peace after 3 bloody battle, and My Roma loss many good men, loss lots of money, from 150,000 become around 40,000 only for this war, and I'm not build any building when this war happened.
    I'm really have underestimate the Dalmatae, now I continue with only see that pirates continue their hobby war with celtic, pergammon, Ptolemy.
    and that pirates which do not have shame even ask non aggression pact and trade agreement with me/Roma, which I'm forced to agree.

wow ! i like that

guys 4tpy or 2pty? which one is better?
    i played with 2tpy and my generals and governers die at age 49-50 replace army with a new and unskilled gerenarl is sad
    what do we lose if we ply with 4tpy? i know campaign will be over 1200 trun .but what is late game features??
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; February 02, 2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Civis
    Malang city, East Java province, Indonesia

about late game features, maybe it about technology improvement, especially for the military historical events >>>the Indo saka advanced military tech, Greek standardization army, Carthage military improvement, and for Rome, maybe (I do not try it yet) Roma will don't have praetorian except We are in late game, hehe...

I'm playing with submod 4 tpy (only because I feel, 2 tpy is really not normal, honestly I want 12 tpy, but it will be very extreme for Ancient Empire gameplay, maybe), but the standard is 2 tpy for 600 turn campaign scenario. With 4 tpy, if Your faction not stabilized yet, You can face 2 time famine and bankrupt condition per year, You can try it, play for about 12-20 turn, then feel it, which is is suitable with Your personal style while govern the faction

_Tyr_'s Avatar Civis

Having a blast playing Macedon at the moment and just had one of my best battle experiences so far, fighting a fierce Thracian tribe in the Rhodope mountains. The AI was actually really smart in it's engagements and I think, I never had anything like this in Total War until AE came out. It held reserves, it flanked, it charged my skirmishers, but pulled back when I withdraw them. It's absolutely stunning.
    And because this mod never seizes to amaze me, I wanted to share a few screenshots I just took.

A Scythian mercenary force is advancing downhill towards the Macedonian lines.

The Macedonian army is fully deployed and awaiting the attack.

The first assault, a mix of Cavalry to drive away the Macedonian skirmishers, soon followed by the Thracians well-known rhomphaia wielding warriors.

After defeating the first wave with only minor losses, the phalanx is gearing up for the clash with the Thracian main force.

Ferocious fighting is taking place and after the additional assault of Celtic mercenaries, the Macedonian phalanx is for moments in danger to lose its cohesion.

Meanwhile, the Macedonian cavalry, after deafeting what was left from the first wave Thracians, is attacking the vulnerable skirmisher force of the Thracians. But the Thracian king, immediateley ordered his reserves to attack this grave threat to his army.

Realizing the incoming menace, the horsemen start to warn their fellows, who are still in the fight. But it is already too late...

At the end of the day though, that counter-attack was not enough to save the Thracians, the main line broke and the army got dispersed and shattered. All that remains now, are the cries of the wounded and the bodies of 4000 fallen men of both sides.

Last edited by _Tyr_; August 05, 2018 at 11:05 AM.

Are these screenshots done with reshade? If so what are your settings?

_Tyr_'s Avatar Civis

Yes, I did them with GEM FX for the reshade and used Aztec's graphics. I'm still working on the GEM settings, especially the brightness and the sharpening effect, but they are already pretty nice - at least for my liking.
    I send you a PM with my current preset file.
    Last edited by _Tyr_; August 08, 2018 at 04:16 AM.

Really fantastic screenshots, Tyr! They should be used on the mod's front page

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast