Thread: Unofficial Non Total war single post AAR's thread .

Default Unofficial Non Total war single post AAR's thread .

Introduction(I have Norse thing's approval, the below paragraph was written by him)

I am beginning a thread that I hope will attract some interest and many many contributors. This is as of now -- the Un Official Single Post After Action Report (AAR) Thread for Non Total war AAR's on TWC. That was a long title. I will try and give it a shortened handle in the thread title. Official you may ask? Well it is the first and I have officially christened the thread. How more official can we make it?

This thread is meant to be a posting and commenting thread for single post AAR's for games other than total war. Use any modifications you want or none if that is your fancy. .

We can even be silly old Duffers here with no embarasment. Or not. That is the joy of this thread. Or perhaps it is a dream of future glory for this thread. Who knows?? If this proves to be popular, maybe it could become an AAR of the Bimonth (AotB). How is that for a cheesey acromyn? Well, no. That might be too much to hope for.

If you have never written an AAR and you want to start, then this thread is for you. No need to start off with a fear of commitment of years of posting weekly instalments to your AAR. A single post here will get your feet wet. I can assure you that the AAR bug will bite you and bite you hard after even one completed post to this thread.

Of course if you are one of the old ancient masters of the art in creating an AAR, you are encouraged to make a post here as well and show all of the new guys (that includes me) how a master performs his craft.

You can within the space of a single post have pictures. You can have character development. You can have conflict. You can have peace. You can and will begin and end with one post. You can snip a bit of a campaign and have it stand on it's own here as well. This can be a single grand battle to the death of a noble king or a tale of an assassin that knows how to keep a blade sharp and well used. You can use modifications if you wish. Even post a single post AAR from the Third Age to inspire other members of the fun playing within that modification as an Orc. Look in your dustbin of prior modifications and create a single post AAR of an older less used modification or post here with the newest and greatest just released modification hosted on TWC (for advertising purposes, of course) Do what you want and have a bit of fun doing it as a single post AAR!

I will start this off with a single post AAR of the game Plaque inc . This will be setting the bar a bit low, so there will be room for all to post a much better single post AAR. There is nothing like the angry and proud Scots supporting their nobles in battle. So for now, I sign off.

Enjoy .

1)The end-A super short Plaque inc AAR by mad orc(Already contributed on TWC before)

2)A question of Honour by mad orc(An EU4 AAR)

3)A poem about cats and catapults.

4)Gentlemen from Fortune - Eras by Maltacus.
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; September 01, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Default Re: Unofficial Non Total war single post AAR's thread .

The end-A super short Plaque inc with mod AAR .

Ok ,this AAR has been written in a bad state .I was playing plaque inc evolved on my PC and had modded the dates to show 1377ad instead of 2016ad and so decided to write this 4 line story .

It came first from the lands of the Mongol sultans of the Chagatai .How it came .What was its origin .Nobody knows .But it spread rapidly .Within a month most people of Khiva were salivating,eating human flesh and acting like maniacs .Now to western Europe,there was nothing new in this .They thought the Mongols to be inhuman .But to the immediate borders of Khiva,the Afgans,Persians,even the Yuan dynasty,they suddenly represented a big threat .Then in 1338 the hordes first appeared .Stronger than any that the world had ever seen .For these people were inhumane zombies .The ‘Devil’s plaque’ had got them .The zombie hordes were in the millions .Soldiers refused to fight,farmers fled taking wiild accounts of the invasion with them,traders fled as far as their extra income could take them ,but there was no escaping .The Sultan of the ‘Illkhanate’ fled to Iraq .Within 3 weeks the zombies had overwhelmed Persia and were quickly advancing further into Iraq and Syria .But then the plaque itself turned the dead into zombies and spread through rats .Soon murdering gangs of rats bit their way through China,Afganistan and finally India .The dead rose up again .This ideally should have made their near and dear ones happy ,but it only brough death .In India Hindus started believing that Pralay(End of one cycle of Brahma which engulfs the world in suffering and death) had arrived .They prayed to Shiva to get rid of the Asuras(Demons) but to no avail .Meanwhile the people of the middle east started running into Egypt .But the zombie hordes now in the millions chased them to Anatolia where more zombies began to form accopianed by murderous rats .Meanwhile in Europe the rats surprisingly remained healthy .The lords and clergy abonded the serfs by locking their castles and preparing for the second black death .In China the murderous rats created millions more zombies but they all died out together in the desert between central Asia and China .Finally Constantinple fell .The Byzantine king turned out to be the only man who actually tried to fight them .But the zombies never came to Europe because some doctor in Poland managed to take out a cure and so the entire world was cured .

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It's good to see NorseThing's idea of a Single Post AAR thread spreading to a new forum, and also that you obtained NorseThing's approval before using his words to start a Single Post AAR thread.

Your AAR uses an interesting idea, to set the events of the Plague, Inc game in the 14th century instead of the 21st century. I'm impressed that a 14th century doctor managed to find a cure for a plague, I wonder what the cure would have been (given the level of medical knowledge on that era).

I noticed the suggestion that Writers' Study staff would update your Table of Contents. That is not likely, unfortunately, as Writers' Study staff already have plenty of work to do. I look forward to seeing what new single post AARs for non-Total War games will emerge.

I would like to update this thread myself .These words are Norse thing's and i being the lazy man that i am, forgot to edit them out .

Interesting! A plague inc. AAR set in 1377+? Zombies in the middle ages? Unique idea! I like how the Hindus started to think that Pralay has arrived, only to be proven wrong by a polish doctor .

A question of honour .(An EU4 story)

The Jahanpanah sighed as the hot rays of the sun bit through the very core of his soul .At 78, anyone would expect a man like him to rest and prepare for the final journey .But not him, the Jahanpanah was up on yet another conquest .This time, it was over a woman .The 26 year old daughter of the ruler of Malwa .

She had initially been bethrod to him by the ruler Rai of Malwa despite she being Hindu, but when some Hindu sage advised him otherwise in the name of patriotism, the Rai had suddenly refused the marriage publicly and instead withdrew into the fortress of Malwa .The Jahanpanah's honour had been tarnished .Now in the name of honour, the two kings faced each other .
    The Rai had some 8000 men and strong walls, the Jahanpanah had 80000 men and the latest artillery for the year 1561 .Sure, the Rai would not be happy to see his daughter stolen ,but that's how life is .We have to forego honour sometimes, in pursuit of a greater good .
    But ah, the hot rays of the sun were troubling him .

In 1501, young Babur, still only 18 years of age and with only a few hundred men to call 'loyal' had to give away his own sister Khanzada to the usperer black blooded Uzbek Shahibani khan, he hadn't cried, not on face atleast, he had taken it like a man .But inside, his heart had bled, he vowed revenge .
    That he would eventually drink wine from the skull of Shahibani khan with his sister intact only proved his greatness to his men who cheered for him .

At that time, in 1501, he had made the decision for his men, for their lives, the only alternative was the complete destruction of the city of Samarkhand and its people and Babur's own army .
    At that time, Babur hadn't flinched while making the decision between Honour and good .

That he had eventually built the Moghul empire stretching from Afghanistan in the west to Bengal in the east and from Kashmir in the north to Golkonda in the south was another thing .

Now, according to the Jahanpanah, Rai faced a similar decision,
    Honour or
    Good

It was a choice that the Rai himself had to make .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In EU4, i played in the 1520 start as Babur and he lived till the age of 79, he was a god king with enormously high stats .I just conquered Malwa and my mind made up this story, hope you enjoy .

That sounds like an impressive ruler! It's good to see this One Post AAR thread continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That sounds like an impressive ruler! It's good to see this One Post AAR thread continuing.
    Thank you very much, although i wish other people also come to contribute here .Maybe, even you Alwyn, i would so love to have one of your short tales here as a personal request !

While browsing TWC, i saw an ad for a one of those freeware games called 'Cats with catapults' . Now generally i tend to avoid such seedy looking games, but cats and dogs are my weak point, so i gave it a try. Basically in one level, our princess is imprisoned in the castle and you have to rescue her. Here's a poem for the same.

On the ridge
    by the plain
    near the castle

they semmbled
    with a houl
    in the hundreds

On the lead
    by the front
    with a long grin

on his face
    in his eyes
    she saw
    she saw
    she saw

THE LIGHT

On the top
    in the cell
    was the dungeon

In the dungeon
    on the mud
    she sat under

on her hands
    were the tears
    on her index finger

In her mind
    she saw him
    in the corner

on his face
    in his eyes
    she saw
    she saw
    she saw

THE LIGHT

Soon the keep
    on the hill
    would burn like thunder

on his hand
    rosey sweet
    would be hers

and again
    true love would
    have won all over

on his face
    in his eyes
    she saw
    she saw
    she saw

THE LIGHT
    THE LIGHT
    THE LIGHT
    THE LIGHT

A poem is an unusual way to write about a game, it's good to see experiments with different styles of writing like this one. I wonder what you meant by 'houl' - I'm guessing this was meant to be 'howl' (or maybe haul)?

Artifex

A sea battle from the pirate and naval game Gentlemen of Fortune: Eras.
    More information here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...f-Fortune-Eras
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have been experimenting with linking turn rate to the ships actual speed. No speed, no turning. The results are not perfect yet but I find it very much more entertaining than before and more realistic. Here is an unlikely feat by my Dutch protagonist Klaas van Krabdam and his 60-gun Roijael Krab, made possible by the lucky wind and poor enemy cohesion – which were the primary reasons for the outcome of a great many naval engagements throughout history. All told by the poor sailor Hopkins, he who has to come out to spar with beginner captains as you know.
    Hopkins! What are you doing here? We all thought you had had enough of giving fencing lessons to incompetent captains and set sail for England again?
    I tried! I even signed on for a British Man-of War, of all things, thinking that the passage should be safer inside the mightiest ship I could find. But nothing works out for poor Hopkins, oh no…
    I had been assigned to the Marston Moor, biggest vessel you could imagine. 102 guns, over a thousand crew. Not only that, but she would be sailing with two other 1st rate line ships, and a new and nimble 3rd rater to deal with quicker targets. We were called back from the West Indies but west of Bermuda we fell upon some Spanish traders. Two of them were caught and struck their colours but the rest made a break for it and split. It was the 30th of october and the middle of the afternoon. To our south, there appeared a Dutchman of some fifty or sixty guns, faster than you could imagine. The Royal Crab. She took her sails down when our line opened fire and just lay their and weathered it while our ships struggled to catch the traders. We had our third rater at the fore, the Sparrow with 64 guns, and the 96 gun Iris behind, with us as the third ship and last the 96 gun Henrietta Maria. So! That Crab waited until the wind turned and blew her swiftly west, parallell wo our line. She veered away from our guns then started to turn northward and chase the Henrietta Maria which had broken off to catch one or two of the traders.

Meanwhile the Iris and the Sparrow did not tell each other what they were doing and we heard a massive crack, and it was the Sparrows bowsprit that had snapped. So stupid! Now our fastest vessel was hardly any faster than the rest. The crab came at the Henrietta Maria from an angle so they were out of both the aft guns and the broadsides. The Dutch were quite lucky devils, for the wind was perfect for their manoeuvre.

When they were so close that the aft guns would not hit their rigging, the Dutch turned sharply north and reduced sail to manoeuvre better. They could still take advantage of their built up speed.

Then they opened fire and raked the Henrietta Maria point blank. The sight was dreadful but the wind blew strongly now and she had good speed. That is of course until the crab began pouring chain shot across her masts. The Dutch were so nimble they could criss-cross after our ship and fire at every turn when their broadside faced forward.

The Henrietta Maria was steadily gliding away from the rest of us and none could come fast to her rescue for with the Iris and Sparrow tangled and the Marston Moor out of wind to turn we were quite slow. So her captain took a huge risk and turned around to meet us, all the while the crab was murdering her crew with its grapeshot. It didn’t work, for when she came around the wind was staright against her and she could not gain the wind to turn in either direction.

With only two guns against 28 she was beaten bloody and then those vile Dutch boarded and took her, while the Iris was still approaching. It had been about an hour, no more, but constant firing for the whole time.

Not content with massacring our largest crew, the Dutch commandeered the Henrietta Maria and used it as stationary battery to guard the crab and shot at the rigging of the Iris thatw as approaching, while taking shelter behind the first rates heavy oak. The two line ships traded broadsides all evening as the iris made sail south to come around and rake the Dutch.

The Dutch saw the danger, though, and left just a token crew and set out with the crab again, turning almost fully around to the outer side to not lose the wind, and set sail south to intercept the Iris. Her sails were in such poor condition and she so much slower and heavier that the crab seemed to have no trouble floating just into position before her bow and unleash its grapeshot again.

When the Dutch boarded, there was only a skeleton crew left, almost quite literally, and darkness had fallen upon us all. It must have been almost midnight when they took her too.

The Iris was slower and with lesser crew than the Henrietta Maria but sturdier and more easy to turn. The crab could easily replenish the stores from the vast cargo holds of those prizes.

The Sparrow was too late to save the Iris but pressed on none the less, seeking to get close enough to board. The crab turned sharply to meet her but then seemed to reconsider and dropped sial to wait for the Sparrow.

The Sparrow was sailing into the broadside of the crab and while she could more easily change her course to return fire she would have to slow down, and clearly judged it wiser to get close as fast as possible.

Unfortunately the fire never seemed to lessen and casualties mounted to the point that the Sparrow struck her colours.

The Marston Moor meanwhile was sailing up to shower the Henrietta Maria with her broadsides and strike at the crab. We did not count with the accuracy of the Dutch gunnery, and they tore our sails to shreds so we could not seem to get anywhere we wanted.

Caught in the middle of the half circle formed b the crab and her prizes our captain decided to make a run for it and drift with the currents around Bermuda until we could get repairs underway. It was an optimistic assessment for not only could we not come far with such rags hanging from our masts but the wind had lessened during the night and now in the morning we had not come far at all. And we could see the crab swiftly sailing up to our stern.

She might as well had sailed gently into a docks, so still and immobile did our ship appear. The crab dropped sail when angled so that herbroadside would hit our stern and also our whole starboard side. They did not need to aim at that distance. It was a massacre.

Little wonder our captain called for a ceasefire and ultimately capitulated, but damn him for being so tardy.

Of our entire crew was just me and 71 more that made it. We were sold in Marigot as indentured servants and so I’m back at hacking away at greenhorn captains.

Analysis: Large ships of the line used to be slow but stronger than all due to the high skills of their captain and their ability to turn to match the speed of kiting enemies. Now, they are ships of the line, no more, no less. If caught alone by a nimble opponent with heavy guns, they are in trouble. As I mentioned I think the effects of the turn rate are a bit extreme but on the whole the battle felt much more like the descriptions I’ve read in the history books and ditto sources.
    In my game big ships get stuck a long time with the fore against the wind (too long time for the moment but I’ll adjust that a bit), which is very interesting. Tacking is a pain, though, which isn’t intended. I suspect the remedy is some sort of turn rate inertia bonus so that a ship with good speed could use it to tack effectively and reach the “other side” and catch the wind again.
    I visualize the goal as something like this: Small ships with good Point of sail can start from nothing and still turn decently, but they will depend mostly on the wind for their turn rate. Big ships with square sails (well, kind of all of them…) can not turn as fast from stationary but the trick with them is to build up speed and inertia to be able to tack and turn in battle at the right moment, so handling them should need more skill and understanding of these mechanics from the player.
    Last edited by Maltacus; August 21, 2018 at 03:10 PM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

That's a very good writeup .Thanks for contributing it here.
    By an extraordinary set of circumstances, the lights went out just as I was about to put it into the index yesterday. Will rectify that mistake today.

An enjoyable battle, a great introduction to Gentlemen of Fortune: Eras and an illustration on the effects of your experiment with linking turn rate to the ship's actual speed. I enjoy a good Age of Sail sea battle and I certaintly enjoyed this!