Thread: A land for the Anglecynn - An AAR of the Westseaxna rīce [Updated: 16/05/18]

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default A land for the Anglecynn - An AAR of the Westseaxna rīce [Updated: 16/05/18]

'A land for the Anglecynn'

An AAR of the Westseaxna rīce

People forget, and they forget many things – names, moments in time, and even their own past – but when an entire people, a folk that you believed would be yours for all time, decide to forget you...that is when you suffer the deepest and greatest pain. What are a people though? Are they a common language and culture, perhaps the same blood flows through their veins, or maybe it is something far more primitive? It matters little, they forgot me, but I did not forget them.

Ælfræd believed that his rómánisc deity had given him victory over the Danes during the so-called battle of Ethandun, that this cloud-dwelling dwimor had given he and the Saxon men the strength to overcome Guðrum and his ravenous horde of Norþmen! Hah! Even before this apparently divine victory he was known as a pious piece of cac, but allowing Guðrum to live and accept baptism rather than killing him, ach, it was a grave mistake.

Now we wait, an entire people - and I on my simple farmstead some miles from Exanceaster - for the call to arms and the assemblage of the fyrd; the wise know that Guðrum, now baptised as King Æthelstan by those weak and sonorous fools of the Church, will not be content to simply wait in peace and farm the lands of the Ēast Engla Rīce. He was and remains a raider and ravager of the people, my people, and sooner or later Ælfræd will realise this! I wait with eagerness for just that moment.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A land for the Anglecynn - An AAR of the Westseaxna rīce [Updated: 16/05/18]

Death to Gudrum, glory to the Anglecynn, and better transport links for Exanceaster!

Pray continue old friend

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: A land for the Anglecynn - An AAR of the Westseaxna rīce [Updated: 16/05/18]

If the gods by whim can give victory or defeat, the why do men strive so hard for victory? A great start. I have subscribed!

Mercenary2479's Avatar Foederatus

For it will not only be the piety of Alfred of Wessex, but the grim unyielding might of his people that shall truly unite England! As always I am truly impressed by your work Mr. McScottish. Look forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

To my shame, I almost missed this! I agree with Hitai, NorseThing and Mercenary2479.

I especially enjoy your phrasing, such as the 'cloud-dwelling dwimor' and your narrator's voice, with the cutting descriptions of those who baptised King Guthrum and of the King of East Anglia himself.

Is there a web page with an explanation of common terms of the time, such as 'dwimor', 'fyrd' and 'cac'? Some readers will know them, or guess them from context, and of course we can simply look them up online. Even so, perhaps a link or even a glossary in your OP would help to avoid any risk of readers becoming distracted because they aren't sure what some words mean?

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    To my shame, I almost missed this! I agree with Hitai, NorseThing and Mercenary2479.

I especially enjoy your phrasing, such as the 'cloud-dwelling dwimor' and your narrator's voice, with the cutting descriptions of those who baptised King Guthrum and of the King of East Anglia himself.

Is there a web page with an explanation of common terms of the time, such as 'dwimor', 'fyrd' and 'cac'? Some readers will know them, or guess them from context, and of course we can simply look them up online. Even so, perhaps a link or even a glossary in your OP would help to avoid any risk of readers becoming distracted because they aren't sure what some words mean?

Thank you for your compliments, and good point old bean! I'll get a glossary up.