Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faction units planned for next release

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Faction units planned for next release

Bantu Chieftain has finished about 18 new units during the last week,and i've just started to implement them - i've freed up space by removing all the hero bodyguards from the campaign (there were about four unused ones as well), as well as by removing the Frostborn Riflemen (reskin of Khaz Modan Riflemen by WarcraftHero) and the failed Animal Handler unit.

All in all we have enough slots for all his new units, plus two additional slots after that - but Bantu isn't done yet! So i will probably need to remove all the heroes from custom battles with the exception of the two Arthas-models, Illidan, Sylvannas and Jaina. In the end they may also have to be removed from custom battles though.
    My idea is to keep all the human units in the coming release, and remove 20 of the Kul'Tiras/Dalaran/Alterac/Gilneas units after the release. That will give us an additional 20 units as there is no need for clones.

Some of Bantu's recent work includes the following rebel-units (possibly regional as well):

Grimtotem Tauren (the Dark Irons of the tauren), Goblins (might become the Pope-faction as they have about 8 units already), Centaurs, Gorlocs, new Frostborn units (will replace the older models entirely as Bantu never liked them), more Quilboars, more Revenants, Zandalari trolls (regionals and won't become a new faction) plus a new Grunt to be shared by the dark Horde, the Legion and the Horde.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_09112018_020551_0.png   IMG_09112018_144208_0.png   IMG_09112018_145201_0.png   IMG_10112018_105339_0.png   IMG_05112018_184514_0.png  

IMG_05112018_172619_0.png   IMG_06112018_174118_0.png   IMG_06112018_182508_0.png   IMG_08112018_151648_0.png   IMG_09112018_015059_0.png  

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; November 12, 2018 at 05:23 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

But are Grimtotem or Gorlocs are more important than Gilneas or Dalaran? They are basically Murlocs and Tauren and are not recruitable, nobody would care if existing Tauren and Murloc units were used in their regions. Instead of creating such units, I would rather focus on remaking the Gilnean and Dalaran units to be more unique. Those are important political entities and played important roles.
    Last edited by Tureuki; November 12, 2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    But are Grimtotem or Gorlocs are more important than Gilneas or Dalaran? They are basically Murlocs and Tauren and are not recruitable, nobody would care if existing Tauren and Murloc units were used in their regions. Instead of creating such units, I would rather focus on remaking the Gilnean and Dalaran units to be more unique. Those are important political entities and played important roles.
    The Grimtotems and Gorlocs and everything else in the post are more important than unused and used hero bodyguards, the old Frostborn Riflemen, the old Frostborn reskins and the non-working animal handler.

- Human Minors will loose their knights, archers, footmen and sergeants, and each of them has four of these - opening up 20 slots. It is more important to get new faction units, new rebels/regionals etc - rebels might be mercs/regionals as well after being conquered - as we plan a big regional/merc system. All the Trolls will be able to recruit each others units when conquering each other, and the same will be applied to the Insectoid factions - Trolls who conquer Zuldazar will get the Zandalari.

- Well, we are keeping casters for Dalaran (they don't need anything else), we will give Kul'Tiras one or two new units to replace their Marines (so you'll get the new Kul'Tiras Marines with a unique look), Gilneas will keep their Claymores and Alterac i am not sure about.

We decided to not have the Zandalari be a playable faction due to them only having one region on an isolated isle. But they are playable when conquered by the other Troll Tribes.

We also decided against the Ulduar faction, due to various reasons. We need slots for the Goblin and Vrykul factions.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; November 12, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Well yeah 4 unit for each is a little too much, I agree. 1 unit for each minor kingdom would be good enough.

I think the Goblin faction is gonna fill up the map well, but I wonder how they will fare when their regions are scattered all around the map. Also, please make sure Goblin AI doesn't follows a wild expansionist policy, that would be weird.

Between the Ulduar and Vyrkul, I would choose Ulduar, why? Because Vyrkul would be an all-giant faction, while Ulduar would have dwarves, it would be more diverse. But both are cool factions.

Well yeah 4 unit for each is a little too much, I agree. 1 unit for each minor kingdom would be good enough.

I think the Goblin faction is gonna fill up the map well, but I wonder how they will fare when their regions are scattered all around the map. Also, please make sure Goblin AI doesn't follows a wild expansionist policy, that would be weird.

Between the Ulduar and Vyrkul, I would choose Ulduar, why? Because Vyrkul would be an all-giant faction, while Ulduar would have dwarves, it would be more diverse. But both are cool factions.
    This were the old set-up:

Gilneas had six units - a footmen, knights, seargeants (spearmen), archers, spearmen (unique for Theramore but had the same look as the sergeants) and the cool claymores.

- We will keep the Claymores and the Theramore unique spearmen for now. But the spearmen might be removed/replaced later with something better. They will have at least one unit.

- Kul'Tiras - They had those four basic units plus a unique Mariner-unit in use by the Kingdom of Lordaeron. The Mariner is just a re-skinned Human Riflemen - will most likely be replaced with a unique model instead. They will have at least one unit.

- Dalaran - Had those same basics, plus two casters with unique textures. They will keep the two casters but loose the basic units. They do also borrow a Dragonhawk and a sorceress (with unique texture) from the Kingdom of Quel'Thalas. They are going to keep those.

Alterac - they had the same basic units and no unique ones. They will most likely loose all their units, seeing as the city of Alterac is ockupied by orcs in the campaign. We don't really need Alterac as a minor.

About the Goblin faction - Yes, i will change their AI in the descr_strat to behave more peacefully. I will also most likely let them be allied to the Humans and Horde factions from the start so that war is less likely to break out. Their enemies should first and foremost be the rebels/Minor Factions - and then of course Insects, Gurubashi/Farraki Trolls, Legion and Scourge who wants to kill everyone.

They will probably fare beter in Kalimdor where most of their areas are located. The Naga is also scattered across the map.

About the Ulduar - The Ulduar faction would be surrounded on all fronts, plus they wouldn't have the Frost Vrykul areas if true to the lore - they would start with just Ulduar which is a weak position. Ulduar also were mostly an instance in WoW.
    The Vrykuls on the other hand have five regions close to each other, they aren't surrounded and start at the right end of the continent of Northrend. They would have a pretty solid starting location. Their units aren't entirely made up of giants, we could make smaller Vrykul the size of the Fel Soldiers and Wrathguards.

- Bantu has also finished a Proto Drake for the Vrykul Drake riders, but the rider will be replaced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2018-11-12 07-09-31-240.jpg   kingdoms 2018-11-12 07-09-35-439.jpg   kingdoms 2018-11-12 07-09-44-607.jpg   kingdoms 2018-11-12 07-09-17-925.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; November 13, 2018 at 08:38 AM.

- The Havamal

Everything sounds nice. Thanks for your work.

Everything sounds nice. Thanks for your work.
    I've got seventeen new units left to implement currently, and most of them are rebels/regionals and the rest are Goblins.

- Bantu Chieftain has been very active with the models lately, and i must say he has some cool ideas for the Goblins. They will be unique as for their cavalry and stuff.

- The Havamal

New videos:

Warcraft: Total War: The Naga VS The Night Elves! (Oct 15 2018, NEW UNITS)!

Warcraft: Total War: The Naga VS the Night Elves! (Today - New speed for units & Naga faction final!)

- The Havamal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12