Thread: Best Cost effective units

a.ieraci's Avatar Foederatus

Default Best Cost effective units

What do we think are the best cost effective units ?

My personal list:

Default Re: Best Cost effective units

You got one of my favorites with the Skiritai swordsmen. I'll add some I think are missing.

Without being totally sure how we fast and loose we are being with cost-effective, I broke it into 2 categories. Cavalry and infantry.

Cavalry:

-Basically any barbarian Epo's cavalry - For me, these are easily one of the most cost effective units. They're relatively comparable to Sarissa Lancers when you consider cost for output.

-Hippakontistai/-Parasim Numidim - Not a sexy choice but still worthy of praise. Break cheaper light ranged infantry, shatter routing units, and since I started using Alt Econ submod(makes armies/settlements very expensive), these units provide great utility for me. In particular, they protect the flanks of my expensive units. Since they're so cost effective, I don't even mind throwing them in as a meat shield if I have to. Parasim Numidim are the Numidian version that's just a bit better.

Infantry:

-Pergamoi Peltastai - early cost effective peltasts. I found them to be very useful on my flanks and as reserves when holes formed in my line.

-Skudra Tabari - Scythian Axemen. Good utility with 5 javelins. Very Punishing when you javelin an enemy to the face and have your horse archers simultaneously shooting them in the rear. I think the Saka may have a similar unit with more ammo.

-Kestrophendones - Syracusan Dart Slingers. For whatever reason this unit always performs really highly for me. Every time I play Syracuse I will take a handful of these and keep them the entire campaign. This routinely leads to max chevrons. They also seem overpowered when you auto-resolve.
    Last edited by Satansblofish; May 13, 2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: x2 in game and I put the wrong ax men unit.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Aren't those phrygian peltestas better than pergamoi? Never recruited pergomoi, only the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Aren't those phrygian peltestas better than pergamoi? Never recruited pergomoi, only the others.
    Yes, but iirc they are more expensive.

Patrician

Sure.
    Anyway I'll watch those peltasts closer next pergamon campaign.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

@a.ieraci Nice thread.

Feel free to continue this to:

Patrician

Thanks GS, you're a great moderator

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Thanks GS, you're a great moderator
    hehe thanks buddy.
    I'm just trying to keep things in order in our thread. Plus my OCD usually helps a lot.

Why do people like Skiritai Swordsmen?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

We high attack and charge, great mobility, good morale and they have javelins Perfect tool to combine with heavy Spartans. They pretty much perform the role of cavalry in other factions in order to deliver crushing blows.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Sarissa Lancers: https://www.honga.net/totalwar/rome2/unit.php?l=en&v=dei&f=rom_macedon&u=Gre_Sarissa_Cav

Cheap, for shock cavalry, with a high speed value, I find them to be excellent for chasing lighter cavalry off and hammering into infantry afterwards.

Patrician

Sarissa Lancers are good, I like them, but i always have to pay attention they don't stay too much in melee, or their number will drop quickly.
    They are really well balanced imo.

Marian Legionaries are probably the most cost effective melee unit in the game imo :/

OMG how did I forgot about Tarantin cavalry! 1000% the most efficient cost effective skirmish cav in the game
    Last edited by hoho96; May 16, 2018 at 01:34 PM.

Yeah, I was surprised nobody mentioned the Legionaries yet. Besides being a really tanky, well rounded and forgiving unit to use with good mobility and morale, they draw from the 3rd Class Citizen pool on top of their price tag. You could lose entire legions and still be able to replace them if your economy has the money. Other factions have to worry about both of those, but the Romans don't.

Kestrophendones

Kestrophendones and Tarantines are my favorites close to Italy while the gastrophones or crossbowmen are pretty good as well.

a.ieraci's Avatar Foederatus

Kestrophendones are sure one of the best cost effective unit , thanks to share the information