Thread: Revel in Darkness [Darkest Dungeon]

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default Revel in Darkness [Darkest Dungeon]

Index and stuff
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default Re: Revel in Darkness [Darkest Dungeon]

Diary entry one The estate is nothing more than a ruined hamlet now. I should have stayed in the city, should never have come here. The air is dank and foul, saturated with disease and the odor of rotten flesh. However, I cannot return. This place has an unexplainable grip on me. I see it in the eyes of my companions, too. I hired Reynauld and Dismas only to bring me to the house of my ancestor, but like me they seem to have been captured by the mystery. On the one hand, this place is miserable. On the other, however, it speaks to man's deepest desires.

The stagecoach was repaired a few days ago, and we're expecting it to return from its run to the city soon. Much needed supplies are likely all that we'll get, but perhaps I am not the only fool who came here to try my luck. After all, who could envision a place like this? Unlike Reynauld, the brave crusader, I do not believe in a god. If I did, however, I'd be certain he abandoned this forsaken castle.

There's some kind of commotion going on outside. What few villagers remain have gathered in the town square. I suppose I should go take a look.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dismas the Highwayman and Reynault the Crusader

Diary entry two The commotion turned out to be the stagecoach returning. We now have enough grain to last us through the next weeks, but more importantly it appears my initial expectation was wrong. Two brave souls insisted on coming to the estate. One of them is a pietous nun, the other styles herself a doctor of sorts. I sent the two of them along with Reynauld and Dismas to explore the entrance to a cellar we uncovered. The stench of rotting meat was most foul at the splintered, battered door. What they found would have been unbelievable were it not for the simple evilness that this place seems to radiate.

The good doctor was kind enough to write down what she saw down in the cellar, but the stories of the others were vivid enough that I really did not need to sift through the descriptions of the creatures they found down there. Shambling skeletons, seemingly animated by some vile necromancer's cult now roam the dungeon under my new home. After recovering from the initial shock, the brave adventurers managed to dispatch the foes they encountered, and mustered the courage to press on. They were ambushed once, but the enemy largely seem to confine themselves to the more spacious halls.

I think it was the highwayman who came up with the idea to gather what riches they could find down there. A sizable amount of gold, gemstones and artifacts were brought back to the surface after finding a set of winding stairs that seemed to lead further down. The nun did not seem interested in claiming a share of the loot, I think she's here purely as a way to atone for whatever sins she may have committed in the past. Dismas the highwayman split his share with the good doctor.

I'll have pamphlets detailing the findings of undead and riches distributed among the nearby towns. Perhaps the call of gold or atonement will attract more adventurers.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Middleton the Doctor and Bosiet the Vestal
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great start, I enjoy RPG adventures and your descriptions of places and people bring this adventure to colourful (and odorous) life! I hope that the pamphlets succeed and that your characters will find the riches or redemption that they are looking for.

Interesting and great start to this AAR. Darkest Dungeon looks like a very interesting game (wanted to get it for a long time now, but never had the time). A highwayman, a crusader, a vestal nun (well, are there other nuns?) and a doctor. Definitely a set up for an intersting story! We'll see who else will join this party...