Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Machiavello TW (mid XV Century Italy) - original thread

Mylae's Avatar Memento Mori

Default Machiavello TW (mid XV Century Italy) - original thread

Machiavello was an outstanding mod developed by Italian users in an Italian TW forum time ago. The Housekeeper was the man behind all, implementing various scripts and interesting features. The mod portrayed an unique although neglected atmosphere - that of mid-XV century Italy.
    There is a mod on "Renaissance Italy", which sets its start in XVI century. Now, this is a painful for historiography, as for Italians the Renaissance could be enclosed in the XV century; what come after is identifed as the period of the Reform and Counterreform, in which Italy was just a mere battleground for Spain, Habsburgs and France. English historiography instead label "Renaissance" the XVI and early XVII century as they were a golden age of discoveries and economic growth for England. But I digress.

Mid-XV Century Italy is a fascinating land in which constant wars reshaped the peninsula: we see the exponential increase of mercenaries who now form entire armies and manage to conquer whole states like Francesco Sforza, the rising power of Venice, the shaking throne of Naples between the Angevin-Aragonese wars, the fall of an imposing dinasty such as the Visconti, the struggles of medium and small powers to resist conquest and invasion, the rise to power of the Medici, popular revolts that led to short-lived republics, the growing power of the Ottomans, and more, and more.

Now, to the mod. As the original one was become outdated and unsupported since The Housekeeper retired from modding, I thought it would be awesome if I saw ingame better things. Better units, a more realistic representation of the states, their power, the map and so on. So I did it with other modders, such as LucianoB and Francesco Forel, who spent an incredible amount of time for it.

The map.
    The map is as detailed as possible due to the limit of 200 provinces. It represents Italy and its immediate surroundings.
    With the cities, representing the main settlement of a province, there are many "Secondary settlements" represented ingame as forts/towers, but looking like castles and villages. Every italian political subdivision is correctly implemented. Borders are correct, rivers flows by the hundreds, mountains and mountain passes are hand-made on real world maps. Smaller political entities that depended nominally from the Holy Roman Empire are part of a singular "Free Cities" province.
    A second map is present for a provincial campaign on the rise and fall of the Ambrosian Republic that focuses on North Italy, in which the level of detail is even more accurate, such as San Marino that gets its own province there.
    Yes, I know people prefer to see rather than read. Here is a small preview. With stratmap models on it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh, and we will use the city stratmap models made by Tzardoms: have a look at them!
    THE CASTLE OF BUDA

FLORENCE

[IMG] [/IMG]

GENOA

MILAN

NAPLES

PALERMO

ROMA

***CAMPAIGN MAP PREVIEW - MARQUISATE OF ESTE & LORDSHIP OF FERRARA***
    As said before, here is a preview for the campaign map regarding the Marquisate of Este & Lordship of Ferrara.
    The area encompass most of Emilia, situated in north Italy. Ferrara and its surrounding is a swampy land around the river Po delta, while Modena and Reggio, the other two cities, lie in the open Padane plain, on fertile agricultural soil.

The first information the player gets is on the Mod itself

Then on the current political situation:

As we have a look on the land, we get a glimpse of fe novelties: new stratmap models

And one in particular for the Abbot of Nonantola, a prosperous and well-known Benedictine monastery (and that's why we see that the "priest" has black robes on).
    If you wonder if the abbot's name is just put there or is historically correct, well, yes: according to the abbey's chronology until 1447 the abbot was Gian Galeazzo Pepoli.

Now, let's have a look at the family tree. Ahhh, here things gets swell. I've tried to represent as accurately as possible the family branches and the connection of the House of Este with the other noble families.

Here is our Marquess, Niccolo III d'Este

His heir, Leonello

And his brother, Borso.
    In case you wonder: yes, those unique portraits has been hand-made over existing M2TW portraits to represent as close as possible the real people. How do we know how they looked like? Renaissance artworks.

But a ruling family alone does not rule by itself: so we have several other noble houses who are interwined in their family tree, each with his CoA and the explanation of who they were, their allegiances and so on.

The factions.

Here is the list:
    Ottoman Empire
    Kingdom of France
    Kingdom of Hungary & Croatia
    Kingdom of Aragon, Sicily and Sardinia
    Kingdom of Naples (Anjou)
    Papal State
    Hafsid Caliphate
    Marquisate of Mantua
    Marquisate of Montferrat
    Marquisate of Saluzzo
    Marquisate of Fosdinovo (Malaspina)
    Marquisate of Este & Lordship of Ferrara
    Duchy of Austria
    Duchy of Burgundy
    Duchy of Savoy
    Duchy of Milan
    Most Serene Republic of Venice
    Florentine Republic
    Republic of Genoa
    Republic of Siena
    Republic of Lucca
    Republic of Ragusa
    Swiss Confederacy
    Lordship of Rimini
    Lordship of Urbino
    Sforzeschi
    Bracceschi

The units.
    Yes, I know that people prefer to see the units. They usually post pics of ingame screenshots.
    But why doing that if you can just see them in their 3d beauty? Alas, is not possible to show some preview in 3d here, from sketchfab, so you have to click here: https://sketchfab.com/mylae/models
    ITALIAN UNITS
    To compensate for it, here are some italian units in 2d

The characters.
    As the mod is rooted in historical facts, characters ingame should strive to be as more real as possible.
    Most of them will have a unique portrait (there are already 30+ unique charachter portraits). As this is not enough, there will be several unique characters/leaders with their own stratmap and battlemap model (and in some cases a unique hovering description for them!). Wanna see them?
    Click down the spoiler!

Francesco Sforza

Micheletto Attendolo

Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta

The resources.
    New and modified resources should try to look like smaller settlement; to quickly identify what they provide, they will feature some unmistakable element, as far as possible. I mean, a giant grape should be easy to associate with wine, right?

Previews from 3d

Ingame
    (sorry for the low quality, but I had a problem that forced me to load campaign map without antialiasing, no shadows and with low stats...)

The ships.
    No naval and commercial power could exist without ships. And what could sustain the economy afloat if not some competent navy?

Previews from 3d

Ingame

The artillery.
    Isn't XV century the best time for doing experiments with new artillery? here are the first results you may see of a new ribaudequin.

Ingame

Last edited by Mylae; September 21, 2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: update 21/09/2018 (new artillery)
    Extravagant developer of Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei; Developer of Paeninsula Italica
    Creator of the XV-Century Machiavello Total War Mod (2.0) for M2TW

Honorabilis Gaius Baltar est mihi patronum.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Machiavello TW (mid XV Century Italy)

Very impressive! This period is very fascinating. I'd love to lead some free companies into battle!So what's the status of this mod, exactly? I realize it's a WIP, but is progress moving along nicely? Do you need additional help?Thanks! Keep up the great work.

The mod has a large part of its units done, the map is complete, and a large chunk of scripts are done.
    It still needs a proper recruitment system to be tought upon (aor vs. recruitment via script and so on).
    There is new music, the xenophonia project give units and faction voices in different languages, many stratmap items are complete.
    Actually is undergoing a rationalization of the 250+ units already completed to eliminate older models, textures and so on.
    I'd say that is a 75% complete.
    There was a silent development of two years, that will be previewd here in the next days.
    Extravagant developer of Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei; Developer of Paeninsula Italica

Very cool, thanks for the reply. Nice to see amazing new content for M2. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this release. Feel free to PM me if you need any testing done.

very cool to see the units in 3d,and they are very good done

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I played Hosekeeper's Mod a lot of time ago, I still remember that the map was absolutely great as the fun of wargaming the Italian Renaissance, your new units are simply AWESOME! What can I say? Fantastic idea of reviving a great mod, thanks for your efforts and your art, keep up the work, give us this new masterpiece! .. +MEGA-REP!

thanks!
    Later in the day I will set up a proper map preview with more infos about the regions involved.

Domesticus

Good idea!

I really liked Macchiavello TW (divided into 3 versions), especially "Spicciolati", on the campaign with the Italian map.

I am also a user in the "Medieval Total War Italia" forum.

I hope you will make excellent Estensi units, I am from the province of Ferrara.

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Good idea!
    I really liked Macchiavello TW (divided into 3 versions), especially "Spicciolati", on the campaign with the Italian map.
    I am also a user in the "Medieval Total War Italia" forum.
    I hope you will make excellent Estensi units, I am from the province of Ferrara.
    ok then I will preview the map around Ferrara later today
    As an example of map accuracy, the Po will flow in the pre-1608 bed, with a larger swamp around Comacchio and the subdivision of that area between the Po di Primaro and the Po di Volano.

The TW community need more condottieri in their lives!

Could you let us know which factions are playable and perhaps what their relative strengths & weaknesses are?

I must admit that I'm not very knowledgeable of this time period, though it is very fascinating.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; May 14, 2018 at 10:39 AM.

Default campaign map preview - Este

CAMPAIGN MAP PREVIEW -
    MARQUISATE OF ESTE & LORDSHIP OF FERRARA

As said before, Here is a preview for the campaign map regarding the Marquisate of Este & Lordship of Ferrara.
    The area encompass most of Emilia, situated in north Italy. Ferrara and its surrounding is a swampy land around the river Po delta, while Modena and Reggio, the other two cities, lie in the open Padane plain, on fertile agricultural soil.

The first information the player gets is on the Mod itself

Then on the current political situation:

As we have a look on the land, we get a glimpse of fe novelties: new stratmap models

And one in particular for the Abbot of Nonantola, a prosperous and well-known Benedictine monastery (and that's why we see that the "priest" has black robes on).
    If you wonder if the abbot's name is just put there or is historically correct, well, yes: according to the abbey's chronology until 1447 the abbot was Gian Galeazzo Pepoli.

Now, let's have a look at the family tree. Ahhh, here things gets swell. I've tried to represent as accurately as possible the family branches and the connection of the House of Este with the other noble families.

Here is our Marquess, Niccolo III d'Este

His heir, Leonello

And his brother, Borso.
    In case you wonder: yes, those unique portraits has been hand-made over existing M2TW portraits to represent as close as possible the real people. How do we know how they looked like? Renaissance artworks.

But a ruling family alone does not rule by itself: so we have several other noble houses who are interwined in their family tree, each with his CoA and the explanation of who they were, their allegiances and so on.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Renaissance Italy is one of my favourite time periods +rep
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

i have a question what is the difference between this and the italian wars ? is it the map and developers ?
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Totally different mods. Different creative team, time period, etc. The eras are not that far apart, but besides that, the only similarity is that both mods focus on Italy. Rejoice! We have an exciting new project to further enrich our community. Saluti!

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    i have a question what is the difference between this and the italian wars ? is it the map and developers ?
    ad @Dead.Man.Wilson said: different timeframe, different developers, different map, different units, different focus. I appreciate their work, though.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Enjoy this brand new model made by me and Mylae from a Narf one!
    https://skfb.ly/6yWLF

http://www.falsodautoregiulioromano...._n_i00010f.gif
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Masterful work, Cesco!

I'm glad to show you another little update: as we are cooperation with Tzardoms, we will use their stratmap city models.

Here they are!

THE CASTLE OF BUDA

FLORENCE

[IMG] [/IMG]

GENOA

MILAN

NAPLES

PALERMO

ROMA

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Machiavello TW (mid XV Century Italy) - campaign map & units update 19/05/2018

As a member of the Italian Wars Development Team, I unofficially endorse this mod!
    Love your work mate, this is brilliant, can't wait to see more!

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast