Thread: Preview: Condottiere recruitmen script

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Default Preview: Condottiere recruitmen script

I make this post to introduce you the concept behind the condottiere script i managed to create thanks to the help of some experienced TWcenter members (see this thread for more details: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...t-or-ancillary).

In MTW2, we are used to recruit units after having constructed specific buildings (i.e. barraks). In this case, I wanted instead to be represent in a somewhat realistic way what a late medieval Condottiere was and, above all, why he was so important in order to raise experienced armies in an age where centralized power strugled to do so: basically, Condottieres were able to assemble armies thanks to their wealth and to their experience on the battlefieds, wich allowed them to establish contacts with others men at arms and, unlike centralized powers, they didn't need an advanced administrative system to do so.

So in order to represent this "personalistc" way of raising armies, I implemented a specific trait, "Condottiere", wich enables the character to recruit certain type of units without the need of a specific building. You just have to take your general with such trait to one settlement and, the next turn, You'll be able to raise some professional units.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Don't mind the description in the image: the general doesn't need to be the governator of a settlement to fire the script)

One of your generals can obtain this trait by winning a fair amount o battles.

During the XV century, many major powers tried to free themselves from the need of such figures, but it required time and money in order to settle a centralized administrative system in order to raise a "public" army (when trying to do so, the Aragonese Kingdom had to face even a revolt by its power feudal lord, wich were often recruited as Condottieres ("a condotta") and had a sort of monopoly of violence and didn't want to lose it).
    You, as the player, will have to do the same choice: will you count on the condottiere, on the feudal lords, or will you try to establish your own standing army?
    Last edited by Cesco; January 13, 2021 at 07:54 AM.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Default Re: Preview: Condottiere recruitmen script

Very exciting, keep up the good work

Just so you know that you spelled recruitment wrong.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks for full preview

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Excellent this is an incredible period in history as well a tragic one. But 'our' history is full of such tales. Outstanding characters and cultures against a backdrop of extreme violence