Thread: Machiavello TW (mid XV Century Italy) - original thread

Domesticus

Default Re: Machiavello TW (mid XV Century Italy) - original thread

Hi Mylae!

Keep it up! Good job!

Mylae's Avatar Memento Mori

thank you!
    sorry for the delay, but is a very busy moment at work and I barely have some time in the weekend...
    Extravagant developer of Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei; Developer of Paeninsula Italica
    Creator of the XV-Century Machiavello Total War Mod (2.0) for M2TW

Honorabilis Gaius Baltar est mihi patronum.

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Don't worry, we all understand this. Nevertheless, we're all hoping you will soon find time to further develop the mod.

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Just the notion that one fan makes such great work for the community is amazing, and the reason why i love Total War.

Another fan saying thank you for your amazing work!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil 03 View Post
    Don't worry, we all understand this. Nevertheless, we're all hoping you will soon find time to further develop the mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnat View Post
    Just the notion that one fan makes such great work for the community is amazing, and the reason why i love Total War.
    thank you!!
    creathing this is incredibly time-consuming - and my new job takes away much of my time. Work will continue, though, stay assured.
    Extravagant developer of Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei; Developer of Paeninsula Italica

So how goes the progess so far?

slowly but progressing. Had a very, very busy time, and in April and June will work even more. Nevertheless, I will continue to create items and post previews of the ongoing work. like this one.

Model for Austrian infantry officer and standard bearers for the Archduchy of Austria. The soldiers are armed with German fixed-visor sallets or a simple cervelliere with ear rondels. Breast protection is assured with half-cuirasses. The officer holds a Großes Messer, a single-edged sword with a knife-like hilt construction. The flags represent the Reichsadler, and the Austrian Bindenshchild and are shaped as reverse rectangular flags, as shown in several contemporary Swiss chroniclers. The model is mainly a combination of work made by the mod team and some OSP pack developed for Mount & Blade Warband.

Daminios's Avatar Civis

much appreciated .... do what you can wen u have the time .

Looks great! Will these wall textures also be used in the mod?

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Fantastic work! Keep it coming

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Loving these diaramas!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Great, I remember playing it once some years ago.
    Good work Mylae!

Fascinating models for the units, the colorful and curved cloth catches exactly the flavour of the age. Best wishes for progress.

Swiss militia pikemen (from canton Uri) on their way! Do you like them?

the model has 24 different waistcoats

Swiss Militia Pikemen (Canton Uri)
    by mylae
    on Sketchfab

Swiss militias are recruited in local cantons, and contemporary illustrations show them in their colours: Uri, whose symbol is a black bull’s head on a yellow field, dresses them in black and yellow.
    They march with their pikes ready to be lowered and without any protection. This should be viewed as normal: Swiss militias relied on training as well as ease of movement: pikemen were supposed to run fast in battle, countering with their speed any possible harassment from skirmishers. Pike militias were quite common in the Alpine range during all the XV century.
    The model is mainly a combination of work made by the mod team and some OSP pack developed for Mount & Blade Warband.

Cool, something going on here!
    The hats are gorgeous!
    But again, I have the impression they should look somewhat more rural (if they're a proper faction unit, for mercenaries their appearance is just right).

Cool, something going on here!
    The hats are gorgeous!
    But again, I have the impression they should look somewhat more rural (if they're a proper faction unit, for mercenaries their appearance is just right).
    I have based myself on what I saw on Swiss chroniclers' illuminated manuscripts; there will be a +1 armour version with just helmets and head/neck protections, and then a semi-professional level with helmets, breastplates and leg protections. What do you suggest? I am curious and eager to give them a different look, if possible.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Amazing work and congrats on the Artifex badge! those swiss are absolute badass

However, one thing I am not sure of is splitting the swiss units between cantons. I know they did fight as separate cantonal armies. However, i don't think there were any noticeable differences between a unit of pikes from say uri and one from schwyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylae View Post
    I have based myself on what I saw on Swiss chroniclers' illuminated manuscripts; there will be a +1 armour version with just helmets and head/neck protections, and then a semi-professional level with helmets, breastplates and leg protections. What do you suggest? I am curious and eager to give them a different look, if possible.
    Maybe you can just tone down the colors a bit. The peasant militias that were used in the Habsburgian und Burgundian Wars could most likely not afford the colorful vestments the Reisläufer wore. On top of that, there was no reason for them to spend money on dyes nor a real opportunity for the mountain villagers to do so. A bit more brown and grey should do.
    @Wallachian: That's a fair point, but otherwise the Swiss roster would lack variety, as the only real distinction between their armies is made between urban and rural militias or mercenaries and their weapon type - handgun, halberd or pike.

Maybe you can just tone down the colors a bit. The peasant militias that were used in the Habsburgian und Burgundian Wars could most likely not afford the colorful vestments the Reisläufer wore. On top of that, there was no reason for them to spend money on dyes nor a real opportunity for the mountain villagers to do so. A bit more brown and grey should do.
    @Wallachian: That's a fair point, but otherwise the Swiss roster would lack variety, as the only real distinction between their armies is made between urban and rural militias or mercenaries and their weapon type - handgun, halberd or pike.
    Sorry, Elendil, but I do not respectfully agree on the "brown and gray": to me, middle ages is a world of colorful people and garments. Have a look at the surviving sources: The Spiezer Chronik (here> https://www.e-codices.ch/en/thumbs/bbb/Mss-hh-I0016), the Eidgenoessische Chronik (here> https://www.e-codices.ch/en/thumbs/s.../Sequence-1061), the Spiezer Chronik (here> https://www.e-codices.ch/en/thumbs/bbb/Mss-hh-I0016 ) are primary sources hard to ignore.

Have a look at this page, for example: it represents the founding of the city of Bern; there are common workers, woodcutters and a group of city officials. You may realise that commoners have a clear shave, the master builder has a poche with a dagger, and a white apron like one of his fellows; city officials tend to have beards, more elaborate dresses, singular hats, highly decorated items. the class difference is not in colours used, but on display and quality of cloth and fabric, unique and richly decorated items.
    https://www.e-codices.ch/en/bbb/Mss-hh-I0016//55

We will have cantonal colours for Uri (yellow/black), Bern/Glarus (red/black), Schwitz/Obwalden/Unterwalden (red/white), Zurich/Zug/Luzern (azure/white) and "generic" black/white that will be given to Basel, Fribourg, Appenzell and the Gray League.