Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 80 of 80

Thread: The Arts Chat Thread

  1. #61
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Any decent horror film in 2020?
    So you can say "how dare you, that is a really mediocre movie"?
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  2. #62
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    someone watching this?



    is it ok?
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  3. #63
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    222

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post

    There isn't a thread just to discuss stuff generally eg movies/TV shows/books/art/music so I figured I'd make a thread. This isn't intended to override the current threads dedicated to these topics, but to provide a chat for all of them in general.
    I hope to learn the original artist of this painting. My guess is that it is depicting Ottomans(Turks) quarantining from the Turkish hordes, and/or depicting the Ottoman regal superiority against the plague spreading Turkish hordes. Year 1350 give or take a hundred years. If I can get a source, then cheers to who will, and I'll post a thread for this painting properly. It's great for the TW aesthetic. https://imgur.com/OaPfTkw
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

  4. #64
    Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,582

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    The painter is Jean-Léon Gérôme, pretty much the pinnacle of oriental, artistic production in the 19th century. It apparently depicts the ''doorway to the mosque of El Assaneyn in Cairo, Egypt where the heads of the rebel beys were exposed by Salek-Kachef'', but I'm not certain about what specific historical event is referring to. Supposedly, according to Malcolm Forbes, the heads of the decapitated beys represent Gérôme's most vitriolic critics... Finally, just a helpful tip, you can easily find all the relevant information about any image online, by using the google search option.

  5. #65
    Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,462

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Hello there fellow D&Ders!

    I'm here to remind you that the Post of the Fortnight Competition is still up and running!

    PotF 34 Vote is open, and of course everyone is invited to post Nominations for PotF 35.

  6. #66

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Okay...

    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  7. #67

  8. #68
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    I would be grateful if someone could recommend me some entertaining tv show (action, fantasy ...). Something not very popular that I probably already know.
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  9. #69
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Civitate

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    8,512
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Have you seen Good Omens or Preacher?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

  10. #70
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Saw Good Omens (it was ok), I watched a few episodes of Preacher and it didn't appeal to me much. (Thanks)
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  11. #71
    King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Gaming Staff Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nidaros
    Posts
    6,330
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    I quite enjoyed Good Omens, chuckled a fair few times at least, and worth a watch.

    What kind of series do you like?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman






  12. #72
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    From Succession to Game of Thrones. Eclectic and not very demanding, actually. But don't worry, it really is very difficult to deal with the likes of another person
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  13. #73
    King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Gaming Staff Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nidaros
    Posts
    6,330
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Mish, by me saying I enjoyed Good Omens I am in no way trying to belittle your tastes. I'm not saying they are worse than mine. I am just stating my own.

    But don't worry, it really is very difficult to deal with the likes of another person
    You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, I haven't said you're wrong. Your attempt to belittle me however here I do find to be a bit rude. I was merely asking for what you liked so I could understand your tastes better, and thus have a better base to find a recommendation from. There was no malice in my question, even if you interpreted it so
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman






  14. #74
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    there was no bad intention in my post, I didn't see any malice in yours
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  15. #75
    King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Gaming Staff Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nidaros
    Posts
    6,330
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Ah, my bad - I saw the quoted part as sarcastic and hostile, thank you for clarifying.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman






  16. #76
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Civitate

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    8,512
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    I finished Queen’s Gambit with family. Great show and one you can watch with kids over the age of I would say 14/15.

    9/10 for me. I gotta watch more Anya Taylor Joy stuff now.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

  17. #77
    makawa's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Tribunal
    Posts
    13,726

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    The Great has been a great shot too imo. (I have remembered it because I usually confuse Anya Taylor Joy and Elle Fanning).
    So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16).

  18. #78
    Flinn's Avatar Dude of Steel
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Censor Gaming Director

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    15,493
    Blog Entries
    33

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    SOAD is a very underrated band, isn't it?

    I mean, they are very popular (or at the least have been very popular when they were active), but all the members seem to be underrated as musicians/artists. I watch plenty of videos about great singers, drummers, guitar players etc and they are never mentioned.. and very seldom referenced to in general.

    I mean, Chop Suey has 1.013.310.054 views, you don't get there if you are not an awesome musician. I doubt any other metal video is so popular, but still...
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

  19. #79
    irontaino's Avatar What's up danger?
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    4,083

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    SOAD is a very underrated band, isn't it?

    I mean, they are very popular (or at the least have been very popular when they were active), but all the members seem to be underrated as musicians/artists. I watch plenty of videos about great singers, drummers, guitar players etc and they are never mentioned.. and very seldom referenced to in general.

    I mean, Chop Suey has 1.013.310.054 views, you don't get there if you are not an awesome musician. I doubt any other metal video is so popular, but still...
    Serj did a pretty good cover of Rains of Castamere

    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

    A.C.A.B.

  20. #80
    Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,699
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Arts Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    SOAD is a very underrated band, isn't it?

    I mean, they are very popular (or at the least have been very popular when they were active), but all the members seem to be underrated as musicians/artists. I watch plenty of videos about great singers, drummers, guitar players etc and they are never mentioned.. and very seldom referenced to in general.

    I mean, Chop Suey has 1.013.310.054 views, you don't get there if you are not an awesome musician. I doubt any other metal video is so popular, but still...
    I agree, they are all fantastic musicians. They did split up for awhile and haven't released much new materiel in 15 years , maybe that's why they don't get mentioned as much, they were also a bit of a cult band even when they were active in the 90's.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; January 30, 2021 at 10:40 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •