Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Games Chat Thread

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: The Games Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    I refuse to touch Fortnite.

In any case...this year has been an odd one. One of the most disappointing games I have ever played (AC Odyssey) and one of the best games I have ever played (Red Dead Redemption)

I still need to finish God of War though.
    imo AC Odyssey wasn't much different from AC Origins. I thought you really liked Origins?
    The story wasn't quite as good, but I thought the locations were better (I hated Memphis and Thebes from Origins).

Also, Fortnite is ok if you play it with 3 friends. Just muck around and have fun. Playing it solo is terrible though (for me at least).

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I tolerated Origins. I didn't like the hard shift towards skill-based RPG .

For Odyssey they took it even further in that direction.

- Multiple choice dialogues and story choices; makes literally no sense at all given the lore of this franchise. While that may not matter to casual fans it is distressing to see some of my favorite components abandoned. Further complicating this is having two protagonists with the same story when only one is canon, and she does in fact have a canon story as outlined in the novel.

- 3 stories that are all barely connected instead of having 1 solid intertwined story

- Progression is annoying as ...I shouldn't have to be a comparable or higher level than someone to kill someone by stabbing them in the neck with the spear or shooting them through the spine with an arrow.

- Repetitive sidequests and main quests...None of them stand out

- Lack of cinematic quality that was present in the previous games

- Decreased quality of voice acting, narrative, writing, animation, and graphics as a whole.

- Repetitive locations...None of the settings in Odyssey really stand out minus the first civilization locations and Athens and Sparta. All other locations feel the same.

- Magic that isn't First Civilization related...seriously there are rules in this universe

- Unremarkable side characters (barring one or two)

- Modern Day; might as well get rid of it at this point. I don't care how casual fans feel about it...It is central to the purpose of the overall lore, and they trashed it.

I could go on and on. There were aspects of the game that I liked and indeed it is a decent historical RPG...But it ain't Assassin's Creed.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    - Modern Day; might as well get rid of it at this point. I don't care how casual fans feel about it...It is central to the purpose of the overall lore, and they trashed it.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish

Anyway, Spider-Man is a very very good game.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Are there any games you guys regret either not playing, not playing enough of during their height of popularity, or not buying all of the DLC for?
    I've got 3 that I quite regret.

- Not playing more of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when it was popular
    - Not playing more of, and not buying the DLC for Battlefield: 3
    - Not buying Destiny 1 for PS3. I had it on PS4, but then sold my PS4 and I only just found out today that it was even available on PS3. I would have loved to play it.
    - Outwars online when it had a community. I didn't have a passion for online at the time, but if I took my gaming abilities of the 90s and conjoined them with my energy between 2012 and 2017, perhaps the game would have lasted longer. Merge this with actual online communities that perhaps I might have helped people stay involved with.

Now? It's once in a blue moon I meet someone who even knows what it is.
    - Diablo 2 online in the beginning. Similar reasons, but I only began to seriously invest when cheats were in their prime, which pretty much sent me straight back to singleplayer. Difference being this is a game that ultimately did stand for itself over the years.
    - MechCommander Gold in its prime, specifically with that same energy mentioned before. I have whims to create custom campaigns now that are pointless between the lack of audience and the only audience worth advertising to basically spoiled by better things than I could hope to create.

Other games too along the above lines. Mostly old, mostly detached from the time I could have done best.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I usually try to come up with my own personal GOTY (game of the year), and now looking back, I'm not sure I played anything released this year except for ToB, Rise of Rome (DLC) and Red Dead 2. Finished the first two, but I can't seem to get going in RDR2. It seems like a fab open world game, but I never seem to load it. The PS4P gathers dust while the PC burns ever-brighter as I've been on a CK2 blitz and November was a return to Civ 6 for me.

Yesterday I managed to get my old Runescape account back, I just decided to try for the sake of it. Here's some stats:

Created: July 1st 2004 (or so). In 88 days it'll be the 15th anniversary according to an NPC in-game
    Last time I played: 29th April 2012
    Total time played: 4500 hours split between my brother and I, over 8 years.
    https://apps.runescape.com/runemetri...r/Rob720Reborn

I've forgotten the Bank PIN, so I've gotta wait another 6 days before I can crack it open and see what stuff I have, but I MIGHT start replaying it and do the quests.
    The Evolution of Combat update looks pretty daunting though, its changed the game so much. There's no way in hell I'm making a Old School Runescape (07scape) account though, I'm not redoing 81m xp.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Holy crap that's a lot of hours!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Damn. 1.5 hours on average every day for 8 years.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Feel like gettin one of Herooes of Might and Magic games that I did not play yet. So, which one is best, IV, VI or VII?

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

My son bought Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, I gave it a go and stated to enjoy it, anyone else?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

play mordhau, so much fun.

I'll bring this back.

Recommend me a game. Strategy (preferably RTS), not CnC, HoMM, TW, Homeworld, AoE and its relatives, MoO, Warcraft/Starcraft or Civilization series, no builder with no/little combat like Anno or Settlers series. Must be playable on aging midrange laptop.
    Or: NFSU style racing game, not NFSU/NFSU2/NFSMW, same computer requirements.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Have you tried something like Factorio or Rimworld? They Are Billions is also quite fun, but not one the same level as the first two.

edit: The Paradox Interactive games are also always good, but I'm not sure if that's the scale of game that you're looking for.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Have you tried something like Factorio or Rimworld? They Are Billions is also quite fun, but not one the same level as the first two.

edit: The Paradox Interactive games are also always good, but I'm not sure if that's the scale of game that you're looking for.
    I forgot to add Paradox on the excluded list. It's not the scale I like. I prefer less managerial, more combat strategies.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I figured they were excluded that's why they only made the edit .

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I'll bring this back.

Recommend me a game. Strategy (preferably RTS), not CnC, HoMM, TW, Homeworld, AoE and its relatives, MoO, Warcraft/Starcraft or Civilization series, no builder with no/little combat like Anno or Settlers series. Must be playable on aging midrange laptop.
    Or: NFSU style racing game, not NFSU/NFSU2/NFSMW, same computer requirements.
    Northgard
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Damn. 1.5 hours on average every day for 8 years.
    man that hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Northgard
    Any details? I never heard about that before now...

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Are people ready for M&B Bannerlord?!?! I know I am after all these years of waiting.

Last edited by Mangerman; February 12, 2020 at 12:57 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast