Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Games Chat Thread

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default The Games Chat Thread

I figured we could use a thread to talk about games in general, rather than having to create a new thread every time we want to talk about something.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; June 11, 2023 at 04:21 AM. Reason: nav stuff

Default Re: The Games Chat Thread

I found this interesting game on Youtube today, Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare.
    It is effectively Arma 3 crossed with Mount and Blade Warband. The campaign, inventory management and some battle mechanics from Mount and Blade plus the modern setting of Arma 3.
    Have any of you heard of it before? What do you think of it?

What do you guys think of the idea of Origin Premier?
    Basically at the moment there is a thing called Origin Access. You either pay $5 USD a month, or $60 USD a year and you get access to quite a lot of EA games including:
    The Sims series
    The FIFA series
    The Battlefield series
    The Need for Speed series
    The Mass Effect series
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Mad Max
    Mirror's Edge 1 and 2
    Titanfall 1 and 2
    Plants vs Zombies
    50+ indie games (i.e. worthless junk)

I'm currently signed up to a year's membership and its great and paid itself off a lot.

HOWEVER, with Origin Premier the price is increased to $15 a month, or $100 a year.
    In return it SOUNDS like you get access to EVERY single EA game that is on the Origin Store, and will be on the Origin Store, plus 5 days early access to new games.
    So that means you'll get Battlefield 5, Anthem, the FIFAs and the Madden games (which are coming to PC) plus heaps of others. However, your access only lasts for however long you subscribe for.

I'll continue talking to myself since no-one else will.

Is it just me, or does it seem like nowadays every game that releases DLC eventually releases a "Game of the Year" edition with all of the DLC at a later date?
    It seems like it use to be that only games that were actually the Game of the Year released such a game. Its a bit dumb for Fallout 4 to release a GOTY Edition over 2 and a half years after original release...

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    What do you guys think of the idea of Origin Premier?
    Basically at the moment there is a thing called Origin Access. You either pay $5 USD a month, or $60 USD a year and you get access to quite a lot of EA games including:
    The Sims series
    The FIFA series
    The Battlefield series
    The Need for Speed series
    The Mass Effect series
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Mad Max
    Mirror's Edge 1 and 2
    Titanfall 1 and 2
    Plants vs Zombies
    50+ indie games (i.e. worthless junk)

I'm currently signed up to a year's membership and its great and paid itself off a lot.

HOWEVER, with Origin Premier the price is increased to $15 a month, or $100 a year.
    In return it SOUNDS like you get access to EVERY single EA game that is on the Origin Store, and will be on the Origin Store, plus 5 days early access to new games.
    So that means you'll get Battlefield 5, Anthem, the FIFAs and the Madden games (which are coming to PC) plus heaps of others. However, your access only lasts for however long you subscribe for.
    Eh, I'd probably have more time for Origin if EA released a bit more of their back catalogue. There's not really all that much there, unless you like playing the same games regurgitated every year.

I'll continue talking to myself since no-one else will.

Is it just me, or does it seem like nowadays every game that releases DLC eventually releases a "Game of the Year" edition with all of the DLC at a later date?
    It seems like it use to be that only games that were actually the Game of the Year released such a game. Its a bit dumb for Fallout 4 to release a GOTY Edition over 2 and a half years after original release...
    Don't games even have to be voted as Game of the Year anymore to get a Game of the Year edition? I've never really played any, apart from Dawn of War, and I had that since the original release. After Steam came along and the internet kind of took over everything, I stopped buying stuff like PC Gamer, so I haven't really kept up with the news on what gets voted as what.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; June 13, 2018 at 09:54 AM.

I found this interesting game on Youtube today, Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare.
    It is effectively Arma 3 crossed with Mount and Blade Warband. The campaign, inventory management and some battle mechanics from Mount and Blade plus the modern setting of Arma 3.
    Have any of you heard of it before? What do you think of it?
    Mac had a look at it on his Worth a Buy channel a few months back so it's an earlier version.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwpibsDXtBo

Peaked my interest.

As for Origins I think it really depends on what you want to get out of this service. For me there's not enough that I'm interested in those stable of games or even future titles to warrent even finding a barge pole to prod it with... Would like to be able to play BF1942 and the two expansions on Win 10 as I have it on disc.
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; June 13, 2018 at 04:36 PM.

This looks like all of the games announced at E3 + release dates

All that needs to be said, really. With the way some of the multiplayer gaming has gone.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Are there any games you guys regret either not playing, not playing enough of during their height of popularity, or not buying all of the DLC for?
    I've got 3 that I quite regret.

- Not playing more of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when it was popular
    - Not playing more of, and not buying the DLC for Battlefield: 3
    - Not buying Destiny 1 for PS3. I had it on PS4, but then sold my PS4 and I only just found out today that it was even available on PS3. I would have loved to play it.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Man I regret never buying Oblivion so much
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Are there any games you guys regret either not playing, not playing enough of during their height of popularity, or not buying all of the DLC for?
    I've got 3 that I quite regret.

- Not playing more of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when it was popular
    - Not playing more of, and not buying the DLC for Battlefield: 3
    - Not buying Destiny 1 for PS3. I had it on PS4, but then sold my PS4 and I only just found out today that it was even available on PS3. I would have loved to play it.
    Mostly MMOs. First and foremost is Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. I played it briefly in its heyday, but then dropped it and moved on. Then, once I really discovered how cool the SMT series actually was, I seriously got into it about a year or two before the servers went down. It was such a unique game and I had a bunch of fun playing and streaming it in its final days. I wish I could have had more time with it, especially at its peak, and I really miss my character now she's gone forever. Most games will always be there to pick up and play, but when MMO servers go down, that game is gone for good - unless you can hit up a private server, but that's never quite the same. For extant games, it's hard to regret not playing them, because I can always still do that in the future. I actually busted out my old PS2 the other week and picked up the Ace Combat trilogy (4, 5 and Z) for the first time, and I'm having a blast playing them. Doesn't matter to me that I didn't play them when I was 15, I'm still having fun with them now at 25. And there are a bunch more relatively ancient games I still have on my bucket list (looking at you Shadow of the Colossus); no regrets, I'll get around to them eventually.

Well for me it's some non computer games that I need to play again. The main reason is you need people to play against or they were too expensive at the time. Still it's worth it the for ai that's better than any computer can provide.

Squad leader by Avalon Hill

If you like any of the Close Combat or Graviteam games you'll be quite at home with this squad based hex based wargame as it is highly influencial to them.

Over view of Squad Leader here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQ43V50wNw

One of my high school friends at the time had it and the expansion Cross of Iron. Only played it once and that must have been around '79 as that's when Cross of Iron was relased. The very good build quality of the Avalon Hill games was so much higher than the SPI games but made them so much more expensive.

I did have a few Avalon Hill games. Panzerblitz was my first one this is set on the Eastern Front. I had seen it's sister game Panzerleader which is set on the north west european front 1944-45 played at our wargames club at the time. This one was a revelation to me as moving from 1/76th scale minatures from Airfix and Matchbox to 1/300th meant you could wargame a decent sized battlefield. Rather than a skirmish using the average sized living room table top. So moving to a hex wargame was even greater in scale. Shame in the forty years since I got this it gets lost somewhere in the ether.

Firefight by SPI Modern age squad based tactics on the plains of Germany.

Still got this set of rules by Bruce Quarrie. Certainly helped me devise my own rulesets. This is based around using 1/300th minatures where 1 mm equals 12 inches in scale. Unfortunately I don't have any minatures left but it was amzing to see that the range of items you could use was from infantry, vehicles right up to aircraft. They were really expensive though buying packs of white metal cast vehicles etc. Somehow you can tell I like the eastern theatre in WW2

Devine Right is the only board game i've still got left. A great fantasy strategy game that nobody at high school or at my wargames club wanted to play unfortunately. I think they thought the map was too garish. They just missed out though. Published by TSR in 1979

Illuminati by Steve Jackson. Awesome game where you have to create a chain of cards which represent your various secret groups you've woven together. You have to defeat your oponents chain of cards by breaking their chain with yours. great artwork on the cards and it's a whole heap of fun.

Last edited by herne_the _hunter; August 25, 2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: bits and bobs from the last century....

This looks like all of the games announced at E3 + release dates
    https://i.imgur.com/U1Ri4xk.jpg
    Out of these i look forward to these games:
    1) Tomb Raider - Always fun playing Lara and the game also adds a bit of a mind tease figuring out.
    2) Ass Creed - Not sure what to expect from this one but AC series is always good at killing time. Though it becomes easy and not challenging enough after early stages of the game.
    3) BF5 - This will have to wait, as i'm keep track of the RTX graphics series and the performance they give since BF is based on the ray tracing tech Nvidia just keeps bragging about these days.
    4) Just Cause 4 - Always loved the series. Epic amounts of fun and destruction here lol.

Besides these, DOOM, Anthem, Dying light 2 (OMG) & Metro Exodus.

The new RTX GPU's are a joke, that's my opinion because I came to the conclusion because of the pricing, which is not a constraint for some but is for a lot.

It's like in the old days where Nvidia games had Physx in some famous titles because they paid the devs to use it. But those effects did look amazing. Does it justify the price? Certainly not but it's not an issue for me. Although i'm awaiting benchmarks and won't buy until Jan-2019. And you really don't know how AMD is gonna present their new 7nm GPU. Next year is gonna be amazing in gaming tech release.

Oh my god, I decided to look at Old School Runescape's map, to see how much of it I could remember. I'd forgotten it was so big! And it doesn't even include the underground areas such as the Dwarf, Goblin or Fairy cities plus all of the other dungeons and caves.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I started playing it in 2004 (before the Christmas event, maybe before the April Fool's event as well, I can't remember) and kept on playing on/off until around 2010/11, then I took a few years break until 2013 when I returned for another few months and levelled up Dungeoneering quite a bit. I was seriously bad at the game despite the years and thousands of hours I clocked in the game. I only 99-ed a few skills, the highest amount of money/assets I ever had was maybe 50m max and I only go to level 110 or so. Despite that, I LOVED the game and would often pull all-nighters (I honestly don't think I've ever done that since).

Runescape taught me to touch-type, to think logically and work out puzzles during quests, and how to communicate with others. I don't think a single other thing in my life has had as big an impact as it did on me, and I don't really see what else could. Runescape was amazing. Anyone else got any stories of it? Did anyone else ever get temp-banned for typing
    .q p
    . w
    and then writing a letter to Jagex begging them to unban you? Did anyone ever see Zezima or a Jagex Mod in the wild? Who was your favourite god? Saradomin, Guthix, Zamorak, Zaros?

So this finally came out:

Goodbye social life.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Now I thought this was very interesting, the original developer of SpiderMan 2 played Marvel’s Spiderman, and here’s what he thought of it

Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Did you guys ever want to become world famous Twitch streamers? Well now you can, in 1 easy step. Just buy the 17 Fortnite ebooks from Humble Bundle, and you can learn about...

Driving Techniques
    The Island's best loot
    Secrets of the Island
    Building Strategies
    An Encyclopedia of Strategy
    Skins, Tools, Gear and Accessories
    Duos and Squad strategies
    ADVANCED duo and squad strategies
    Sharpshooter Secrets
    How to survive and win in 50v50 matches
    Hacks for mobile
    How to master game settings
    Killer fortnite strategies
    ADVANCED strategies
    How to survive the final circle

and last, but definitely not least, you can learn ALL of the tips and tricks that other guides won't teach you

And just in case you think they're written by hacks who don't know what they're talking about... all 17 of these books were written by the exact same person!

ing hell Humble Bundle has gone to in the last year or so

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I refuse to touch Fortnite.

In any case...this year has been an odd one. One of the most disappointing games I have ever played (AC Odyssey) and one of the best games I have ever played (Red Dead Redemption)

I still need to finish God of War though.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast