Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Total War Chat Thread

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: The Total War Chat Thread

Pike & Shot period is actually very popular in TW mods, but the reasoning for avoiding it completely, so far, has to do more with the time periods.

M2TW touches upon the Pike & Shot period, even if only the beginning of it, while ETW touches upon the very late Pike & Shot period. Because there's a small-ish difference in time, TW went directly with the bigger eras rather than Pike & Shot.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Incendio mentioned seeing similar units in Medieval II and Empire. I wonder if you've played as the Otomo in Shogun II, this seems fairly close to what you're talking about (although a bit early, as the Otomo's opponents aren't likely to use matchlock guns until later on in the campaign.) I enjoy playing as the Otomo, my experience with them suggests that a pike and shot campaign would be very enjoyable.

I'm hoping for an Empire 2 in future as well. I like the period of warfare when muskets are useful but they're inaccurate and slow to reload, so melee cavalry are still important and formations make a big difference - as well the evolution of ship design in this era, including the intruduction of classic frigates.

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

How about a Total War that includes the Maoris?

And is this an old Indian custom or something relatively new? Maybe include this for an Indian faction? Or just the war cries?

Since we're discussing ideas - how about a Dark Ages Total War? Post-Attila.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

A Dark Ages Total War sounds interesting. They made the Age of Charlemagne DLC for Attila and the Thrones of Britannia Saga game, of course, so we know CA are interested in creating games in this era. What specific Dark Ages setting would you like to see?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Well Rise of Islam is always possibly nice scenario.. Reconquista? I would love something in mezoamerica but it would be probably hard to make interesting.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Check out the evolution, it's quite impressive.

Thoughts on them?

In fact, do TW players usually play Historical battles?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 18, 2022 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Double posting

Hey everyone I'm new here. I think that a dark ages scenario sounds like a great idea!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrostDragon View Post
    Hey everyone I'm new here. I think that a dark ages scenario sounds like a great idea!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    In fact, do TW players usually play Historical battles?
    Yes I do, is the main reason I play Total War games, but seems to be a feature that is missing in the latest titles: Thrones of Britannia, Troy but I don't know if Three Kingdoms has historical battles. I stopped purchasing and playing Total War titles since 2015 with Attila Total War. I've seen a video from a youtuber claiming that lots of Total War fans of historical games (leaving aside Warhammer, which is fantasy stuff) stopped in Attila as they consider this is the latest "true" historical title. Because I don't know almost anything about Total War games from Thrones of Britannia to Troy, I would like to ask to you your opinion about these games. As far as I read, seems that the historical branch is missing features such as naval battles and historical battles, both more than strong reasons I stopped in Attila. But I would like to read your opinion, because I don't know almost anything from these games besides what I've seen on youtube videos, but I am not enjoying them, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Well Rise of Islam is always possibly nice scenario.. Reconquista? I would love something in mezoamerica but it would be probably hard to make interesting.
    Do you mean the historical research would be difficult? Any real history lover would want to play a game in a location they don't know much about, if the game at least looked like some love went into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Pike & Shot period is actually very popular in TW mods, but the reasoning for avoiding it completely, so far, has to do more with the time periods.

M2TW touches upon the Pike & Shot period, even if only the beginning of it, while ETW touches upon the very late Pike & Shot period. Because there's a small-ish difference in time, TW went directly with the bigger eras rather than Pike & Shot.
    They need to focus on one war or period of military tactics from now on, like Shogun initially did, and the saga thing they're calling it want to do. I don't think they handle entire eras well like the Rome/M2 devs could.
    Last edited by 0riflamme; January 24, 2021 at 09:10 PM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm hoping for an Empire 2 in future as well. I like the period of warfare when muskets are useful but they're inaccurate and slow to reload, so melee cavalry are still important and formations make a big difference - as well the evolution of ship design in this era, including the intruduction of classic frigates.
    Agreed. I think CA should release Empire 2 TW just what they did with Shogun 2 TW, but somehow I doubt they will do that and what reason they have for not doing so I do not know about.

Or why not a game that would cover both the 18th and the 19th century since modern warfare more less started to take shape around 1700.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567