Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Total War Chat Thread

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Total War Chat Thread

Are naval battles vanishing in Total War Saga?

I've just read "There are no naval battles taking place in the game" in the next historical Total War "A Total War Saga: Troy" that will be released the next year. So with "Thrones of Britannia" naval battles being simplified and with less features in comparison with Attila, and the following historical title: "Three Kingdoms" not having any naval battles at all as seems to be the case of "Troy", I wonder if naval battles finally ended with Thrones of Britannia, being this title the last one supporting naval warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    Are naval battles vanishing in Total War Saga?

I've just read "There are no naval battles taking place in the game" in the next historical Total War "A Total War Saga: Troy" that will be released the next year. So with "Thrones of Britannia" naval battles being simplified and with less features in comparison with Attila, and the following historical title: "Three Kingdoms" not having any naval battles at all as seems to be the case of "Troy", I wonder if naval battles finally ended with Thrones of Britannia, being this title the last one supporting naval warfare.
    Because naval battles are a mess in any TW game (maybe ETW/NTW and Fots not that much). And we all know, ones CA messed up, they just remove the feature entirely without fixing it.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    And we all know, ones CA messed up, they just remove the feature entirely without fixing it.
    Really? Has it never occured to them that removing the Warscap engine is exactly what they should do and they should have done that years ago.

I know at least one thing CA would never remove and that's messed up time frame in-game e.g two years in one season (M2TW), one year in one season (R2TW).

When I discover that in R2TW I stop playing and haven't install it since then. I will probably never install R2TW again.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I know at least one thing CA would never remove and that's messed up time frame in-game e.g two years in one season (M2TW), one year in one season (R2TW).
    What's most egregious is the fact characters age half a year per season even with that 2 years thing, so the desync is obvious and spans centuries. QA had to be sleeping for that one.

Really? Has it never occured to them that removing the Warscap engine is exactly what they should do and they should have done that years ago.
    The problem doesn't really rely on the engine alone. Most people do not know that, but you can re-program part of the AI code or even pathfinding and take out the bugs. The main issue lies with that. The reason is that CA doesn't really do that is my feeling is that they not have the right software engineers to re-do part of the code (and probably do not want put their main focus and add resources to it).

The problem doesn't really rely on the engine alone. Most people do not know that, but you can re-program part of the AI code or even pathfinding and take out the bugs. The main issue lies with that. The reason is that CA doesn't really do that is my feeling is that they not have the right software engineers to re-do part of the code (and probably do not want put their main focus and add resources to it).
    Or CA doesn't see the whole prospective, not clearly. And re-programming the AI in a buggy game engine doesn't make things better, instead some stuff seems to be impossible to do such as sea battles.

You know as much I know that sea battles in both ETW and NTW was revolutionary and yet still buggy e.g losing cannons, men without firing a single shot or being fired upon by the enemy.

I dare say CA didn't expected that and in commercial industry today, making money is essential otherwise one will be short lived.

Also, replacing a game engine is a tough decision, especially when CA seems to have invested a lot of money and time when creating the Warscape engine.

However, sooner rather than later CA need to replace the current game engine.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

They have to change one day or not. But my guess it will take a while. Because they just made the engine 64 bit compatible. Mostly you do that because of the big amount of games they wane add. I just hope that one day they really keep naval battle. The problems started when Sega took over CA. Never a good idea that a big corporation takes over (look at EA and others), because than greed takes over. Or at least make the games fully moddable, so modders can do the job (but i really doubt that as you can see how much more difficult it becomes to mod the game).

They have to change one day or not. But my guess it will take a while. Because they just made the engine 64 bit compatible. Mostly you do that because of the big amount of games they wane add. I just hope that one day they really keep naval battle. The problems started when Sega took over CA. Never a good idea that a big corporation takes over (look at EA and others), because than greed takes over. Or at least make the games fully moddable, so modders can do the job (but i really doubt that as you can see how much more difficult it becomes to mod the game).
    That proves my point of making money and I doubt that CA would become greedy before Sega took over.

However, there are exceptions of course and what I am talking about is Zenimax who owns Bethesda and so far they haven't shown a sign of being greedy until the paid mods concept was launched in April 2015. Later Bethesda introduced another concept of paid mods on Bethesda.net, more known as the Creation Club.

Still, Bethesda listen to the community and have always offer official modding tools in which CA fail to do and I really doubt that CA will ever offer the community working official modding tools.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

And in meantime we got some yearly Steam results:
    https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2019_top_sellers

3K - among Platinum sellers
    Wh2 - among Gold sellers
    Wh1 - among Bronze sellers

at the same time, games with top peak players:

3K - over 100,000 simultaneous players
    Wh2 - over 25,000 simultaneous players

So looks like CA is doing pretty well from their perspective.

EDIT2:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/best-strateg...hree-kingdoms/
    3K is Best Strategy 2019
    well PCgamer not middle of world but still nice...

EDIT:
    to general discussion i have two points
    1) CA is capable of changes in engine even during active lifetime of product
    -lately major update to end times in Wh2
    but those changes usually happen between generation
    -fixing Attila performance in ToB
    -getting 64bits app from Wh(s) on
    you can clearly see on ToB and Troy they for those games they are using certain engine versions and changes have some limit
    -cutting ambushes from ToB ehile they are fixed in Wh(s)

This is purely about tech part of games however there is second part about
    2) Why CA cut certain feature or why CA haven´t done X or Y
    We are here somewhat hardcore, older players with experience from multiple titles. Usually liking legendary difficulty etc. But ask common people what they like or how they play the game. I love naval combat from Shogun 2 with naval bombardment, Empire/Napoleon even combined/beach battles from Rome2. However I often hear people not liking naval combat or even that certain players are not doing manual battles at sea at all. CA has all the metrics, numbers. Nice example is how they return to normal sieges in 3K after experiment in Wh(s) so if they are not adding certain feature i bet they are not lazy or greedy, they simply see it is more economical for them to invest in other areas. This is not qeustion if CA can get more money for certain feature. Because even if CA has such money, there will be still the very same question. Do we spend those money on Navy for example which will satisfy some % of people OOOR on improve XYZ which will please %% of players.

I once more I would love naval combat in 3K or Wh(s).
    Last edited by Daruwind; December 28, 2019 at 12:40 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Naval battles were the best part of Empire for me honestly. I remember when I first got Empire: Total War, it was pretty amazing.

I don't necessarily mind rushed games or lack of polish. What irks me, is lack of care. Short-sighted decision making is honestly what's preventing many companies from making great products and long-term profitability.

For those who have low-end computers, which Total War games do you play? And a question for everyone, do you think is required to have a 2k gaming computer to enjoy Total War games?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Whichever I like, being at fairly low end with the most advanced technology currently up being a midgrade i5, and the graphics down to a yard sale version of the gtx480. Granted, not especially low end, and a vast sight better than before, but the sum of my components wouldn't exceed a K if I had to buy everything plus peripherals again. Graphics aside, nothing I have would take more than $100 per component to acquire, which is my cheap-out limit. With that in mind and little care for top end bling, I'm capable of approaching every total war game, even the horrible optimization of attila. I care very little for warhammer, but I do not have problems with it.

Enjoyment is entirely what you derive. My old box is capable of playing Medieval 2, which obviously has very low requirements. I've gained more fun and then some by incalculable leaps than anything to succeed it in the series, even if my reasons for enjoyment are hardly standard anymore. When I actually play, say, Rome 2, I've gotten the same rough enjoyment from the lower end of before as I do now, although having the boost is certainly a 'once you go you can't go back' feel. I would disagree, but I can see where the sentiment would come from - quality performance is a spoiler when one has made their gaming experience built around making the best of what's in the room.

But as long as the game is fundamentally playable, I judge it across the spectrum, as graphics have very little reckoning in what I consider to be fun. It would take special conditions to make me not enjoy things on that basis alone, and even when I have a problem with it, it's style. 90s games with egregious pixelation and medieval 2's relatively primitive modeling? Great, they do the job. The entire Warcraft/World of Warcraft line, however... the style puts me off from the concept even if I've learned to reconcile with it to a point. But I will take better or even outright older models from an experience first. Total War doesn't even approach that save for mods with models I find rather ugly as a result of the design they're drawing from.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

It seems..
    TW Arena will be back for the 2nd time (1st Steam, 2nd Wargaming, now NetEase) in February.. but in China this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TotalWarArena

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Oh. Three time's the charm, eh?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    For those who have low-end computers, which Total War games do you play? And a question for everyone, do you think is required to have a 2k gaming computer to enjoy Total War games?
    I still have a low-end computer and when I use it I'll play MTW, RTW as these two games are my favorite TW games along with ETW, NTW.

I'm fairly sure my laptop could handle TWR2 and Atilla, but I feel no need to get them.

Latest game from series I have is Napoleon, but the one I still play the most is M2TW, usually one of the many mods. I'm not a fan of the direction the series is heading, starting with ETW. Too much simplification, too many bad decisions-like the recruit and replenishment system, which was best in M2TW.

Frankly, the best thing CA could do for money right now is, assuming they still have M2TW source code lying around somewhere, is remaster. Fix up the code base for x64, multi-core and DX11 compatibility, fix some longstanding bugs, polish the graphics, add support for some mod features like tech trees, some UI elements from newer games like displaying range, if they're feeling daring, even code in deploying/packing of artillery, mounting/dismounting and improving the AI, and as long as it's kept close enough to original to make porting the mods easy, they'll be raking in the money for a 1/10th of an effort needed for a new game. Especially since from what I've read on newer titles, Warscape-which wasn't a great engine to begin with-is hopeless now.

Rome II and Attila definitely need a 1080p or higher monitor. The UI and campaign map are not what they should be on 720p.

Napoleon and Shogun 2 runs great as well on lower systems, although ofcourse smoke and other 'luxury' settings need to be toned down.

I still have a low-end computer and when I use it I'll play MTW, RTW as these two games are my favorite TW games along with ETW, NTW.
    I can't run RTW well on my computer, suffers from lag, despite I have an Alienware 17 R3 laptop 2015 and my specs are far higher than RTW recommended specs. I have read somewhere else that is related with modern hardware and OS since I have Windows 10 64 bits. Even after doing the "d3d8.dll" trick I still have some lag, but I can run it decently. I don't have MTW, but I have M2TW, however, because those games are getting older and I am finding compatibility issues with modern hardware, I probably won't consider them for my next computer. I can run them now with not so many units, and definitely I want to come back to them for a while, I really enjoyed those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I'm fairly sure my laptop could handle TWR2 and Atilla, but I feel no need to get them.

Latest game from series I have is Napoleon, but the one I still play the most is M2TW, usually one of the many mods. I'm not a fan of the direction the series is heading, starting with ETW. Too much simplification, too many bad decisions-like the recruit and replenishment system, which was best in M2TW.
    My laptop can handle Rome 2 and Attila in quality specs but Attila has trully bad performance on my computer when I have large armies on custom battles. Shogun 2 and Napoleon have by far better performance and I don't suffer from severe lags in custom battles in both games. In my opinion, and following your reasoning "I'm not a fan of the direction the series is heading", that I completely agree with that, Attila Total War was the latest historical Total War of the series. The lack of decent naval battles and historical battles, along with more accurate units in recent titles made me to lose my interest in Thrones of Britannia and Three Kingdoms.

I'm saving money for a new gaming laptop, since I am space-limited and due to mobility renting houses and job travelling, I can't afford to have a desktop computer, which would be ideal, but I have to adapt to circumstances. Even though I could run the latest historical Total War games (not interested in fantasy at all) I am not sure to purchase Three Kingdoms and Thrones of Britannia since I feel disappointed they lack of decent naval battles (or lack of them in 3K), historical battles and in case of Three Kingdoms I see this game has a mix of fantasy and historical stuff, and I also dislike the green and blue effects in battles. Finally as for Troy Total War, since they will be committed mainly to infantry units, I hope they will be accurate at least. This title will lack of naval battles as well, but hopefully will have at least naval landings since is one of my favourite scenes in Troy movie:

Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 18, 2022 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Double posting

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Oh. Three time's the charm, eh?
    Maybe, maybe not

But Chinese game companies (or the game companies based in China) infamous for their money grab policies so I don't really have much hope.
    Idk if Dev team became any better anyway.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I was being sarcastic there. I have no hope of this becoming anything better than the Wargaming version.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast