Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Total War Chat Thread

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default The Total War Chat Thread

I figured we could use a thread to talk about Total War games in general, rather than having to create a new thread every time we want to talk about something.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; June 11, 2023 at 04:20 AM. Reason: nav stuff

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Total War Chat Thread

good idea, we can also use this thread to highlight/link some news about TW related staff; see for instance the last poll we posted, here
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

This thread looks similar to what I maintained (I know other people also continue posting a new thread after the previous one got closed due to post limit) at the old BSF. I like this idea.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Anyone got anything to say?

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wish they'd just show the Campaign map of Three Kingdoms already!!!!

Plus, who knows what's coming for RII.

Hopeful for Cathay to come in Warhammer 3.

Hopeful for Araby to come soon.

Due to how 3 Kingdoms look right now, I have more hopes for Warhammer 3.

Really, they should make clear on who's working on what since I understand CA has at least 3 devs team? The Warhammer team, the "historical" team, the Saga team (Jack Lusted team), then there's also the Alien Isolation team and the Halo Wars team.

Out of those all, I think Warhammer team is the best, and they should have handled 3 Kingdoms since it's clearly a historical fantasy game, not a "classic" game.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by REhorror View Post
    Due to how 3 Kingdoms look right now, I have more hopes for Warhammer 3.

Really, they should make clear on who's working on what since I understand CA has at least 3 devs team? The Warhammer team, the "historical" team, the Saga team (Jack Lusted team), then there's also the Alien Isolation team and the Halo Wars team.

Out of those all, I think Warhammer team is the best, and they should have handled 3 Kingdoms since it's clearly a historical fantasy game, not a "classic" game.
    They have more teams. You are missing "new historical team", based in Sofia - Bulgary,which is responsible for new Rome 2 DLCs (Empire Divided, Desert Kingdoms and nex campaign pack), then they have Jack Lusten´s Saga team currently working on ToB DLCs and of course 3K "history team"..then they have at least two fantasy teams. Main one "fantasy team" probably already started pre-production works on Warhammer 3 while "new fantasy content team" is working on WH2 DLCs. These teams i can easily distinguish then there are some more for Arena, Access and these not TW teams...

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...g-on-june-2018

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    Wish they'd just show the Campaign map of Three Kingdoms already!!!!

Plus, who knows what's coming for RII.

Hopeful for Cathay to come in Warhammer 3.

Hopeful for Araby to come soon.
    There should be another E3 presentation fo TW tomorrow so maybe we will get more there.

About Rome 2 we know only that it should feature new smaller but detail campaign map, combination of time and place wasn´t explored a lot previously and probably won´t feature India. :-)

I would suggest visiting our dedicated little speculation threads in WH section

WH2 possible DLCs
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...DLC(s)-SteamDB
    WH3 possible races
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...in-Warhammer-3

As of now there are two unknown DLCs in WH2 steam DB while we are expecting Lord pack for Skaven/Lizardmen, next campaign pack (probably Southern Realms), then FLC roadman was about 10 pices long and we have currently 6 released (ME,laboratory mode,Steps of Isha maps, 2xLL HE+Skavens, Bone Giant) and we know that we should get two more LLs for DE/Lizardmen for sure. Then there is question about future things like any Bretonnia style update/free race? Or WH3 preorder (Araby maybe?)

Cathay/Ind/Nippon are related things. If old datamined info is correct for WH3, then there is probably no Cathay...if things got changed, then maybe. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 13, 2018 at 06:59 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

That's a lot of team for such a studio, I know Total War games are the best selling strategy games series next to Starcraft, but CA could do with lot more focus. Maybe one team for historical game, and one game for fantasy game would be more "focus", Total War-wise?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

One interesting thing looming large over the entire TW franchise is the lack of upcoming historical content (sorry but no, the Rome 2 dlc doesn't count ). Now that we know Total War 3K is going to be Dynasty Warriors with a TW overlay and the title after that is Snorehammer 3, that takes us to the end of 2020. Our next hope for an actual historical title would be the standalone spin off from Total War: Dynasty Warriors in 2021 or 2022, perhaps as a Saga or something more ambitious. If someone had told me on Attila's release in March 2015 that we wouldn't see a full scale historical game for six years I would have laughed them out of the room. But now it appears that is the best case scenario.

It's becoming very difficult to identify anything new to hold history fans' interest in this franchise. The bits of innovation since Attila are small mechanical changes for DLC and Saga and the rest of their work is all anti-realism. Look at the 3K battle demo and we see the same 160 man units, the only innovation are Dynasty Warriors martial arts duels and a very gamey unrealistic army composition system ripped from a old Koei strategy game called Kessen.
    Last edited by Huberto; June 13, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

What are your complaints with Three Kingdoms? They've made it clear that the "fantasy" aspects are because those aspects are part of the "history" of the Three Kingdoms that is prevalent in China. Its obviously unrealistic, but romanticised.
    So theres also going to be a classic mode, where its more realistic.

It feels like the Star Wars fan base, the people who hate Total War the most are Total War fans.

How much more innovation is possible with the current engine? Has CA maxed out the muscle of this engine? I have no idea personally but often wonder.

I love the ancient era best and would love to see Medieval 3 or Alexander game at some point, India is cool too. I bought Warhammer I on a whim and have had some fun with it even though I am not a fantasy type guy.

I think what gets lost on these forums sometime, buried under the mountains of complaints, is that the worst TW game is still WAY MORE FUN than just about any other game out there. I still enjoy them a great deal, warts and all.

I know a lot of people want more but is more even possible with the current game engine?

So did everyone just forget Throne of Britannia? That's clearly a historical game aimed at the history crowd.

People act like Warhammer is something nobody wants but it's currently the most popular TW series, so what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by REhorror View Post
    So did everyone just forget Throne of Britannia? That's clearly a historical game aimed at the history crowd.

People act like Warhammer is something nobody wants but it's currently the most popular TW series, so what gives?
    You are clearly new here sir, let me explain some local people.

1) Rome 2 DLCs are cut content, long overdue, in comparison with Tomb Kings they are weak, basically damn CA for trying to milk players even more and even if they fix or add a thing or two, there is still list of problems that must be fixed before we can say anything positive about R2. And of course any such pointless DLC is breaking our precious mods so cursed CA!
    2) ToB doesn´t count because it should be Attila DLC anyway, damn CA for removing again features like agents although we were constantly whining about them being OP and AI utilising them too much....
    3) Anything else strictly not historical is big nono even if every previous TW had some not so historical features, units.....
    4) Anything without new engine is big nono, well technically new engine means Med 2with some minor changes...
    5) We have one video about 3k Romance mode but that´s enough to write off whole game, clearly Classic mode will be garbage

Ye, Warhammer is the biggest success in history of TW, allowing so many concurent project, return to R2.....yet there are still fanatics on both sides. One side trying to call spanish inquisition on these nerds with dinosaurs and opposite sides trying to call witchhunters on any history geek...classic internet drama
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    What are your complaints with Three Kingdoms? They've made it clear that the "fantasy" aspects are because those aspects are part of the "history" of the Three Kingdoms that is prevalent in China. Its obviously unrealistic, but romanticised. So theres also going to be a classic mode, where its more realistic.
    Simply put “history” isn’t history. Many of us find the appeal of the series in historically authentic settings, not fantasy or “romantic” whatever that is. hint: duels aren’t in RotK but in dynasty warriors. This isn’t complicated. CA Has always marketed its historical titles as historically authentic until now.Classic mode is a nothingburger so far just less romance.As far as what “most fans” want, most fans are playing historical titles the past 30 days according to Steam. Among older titles, More are playing Rome 2 than Warhammer. This has always been true by the way and the company has acknowledged that history is more popular although I can’t find the link right now.
    Last edited by Huberto; June 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    most fans are playing historical titles the past 30 days according to Steam. Among older titles, More are playing Rome 2 than Warhammer. This has always been true by the way and the company has acknowledged that history is more popular although I can’t find the link right now.
    Last 7 days averages:
    Shogun - 32
    Rome - 1.1k
    Medieval - 74
    Medieval 2 - 2.5k
    Empire - 2.4k
    Napoleon - 1.1k
    Shogun 2 - 2.2k
    Rome 2 - 4.8k
    Attila - 2.2k
    ToB - 1.8k
    -----------------
    WH1 - 3.7k
    WH2 - 18k

You probably forgot there are two Warhammers and was probably comparing numbers just with WH1
    https://steamdb.info/app/594570/graphs/
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Last 7 days averages:Shogun - 32Rome - 1.1kMedieval - 74Medieval 2 - 2.5kEmpire - 2.4kNapoleon - 1.1kShogun 2 - 2.2kRome 2 - 4.8kAttila - 2.2kToB - 1.8k-----------------WH1 - 3.7kWH2 - 18kYou probably forgot there are two Warhammers and was probably comparing numbers just with WH1 https://steamdb.info/app/594570/graphs/
    Nope. Just used 30 day average which is more accurate 😎😘

Last 7 days averages:
    Shogun - 32
    Rome - 1.1k
    Medieval - 74
    Medieval 2 - 2.5k
    Empire - 2.4k
    Napoleon - 1.1k
    Shogun 2 - 2.2k
    Rome 2 - 4.8k
    Attila - 2.2k
    ToB - 1.8k
    -----------------
    WH1 - 3.7k
    WH2 - 18k

You probably forgot there are two Warhammers and was probably comparing numbers just with WH1
    https://steamdb.info/app/594570/graphs/
    Historical battle score a total of 18.1K, Wargammer 21,7K. But don't forget that historical games are very old. ToB is one of the worst standalone TW ever made and had the worst criticism appart from rome 2 (that had a terrible reception because of the tons of bugs). Rome 2 is 6 years old, shogun 2 is 8 years old. Attila is not that old, only 3 years old, but it has a not so popular multiplayer.

Warhammer games were in general more carefully made, they recieved a better development but unfortunately I don't like warhammer and I'm not going to buy it (I find those enormous and cartoony creatures ridiculous in my adulthood). If they had released a Game of Thrones TW I'd be flipping out.

My point is that given that TW historical titles have been found more or less disappointing (despite I can enjoy them with mods for sure) and warhammer is specially directed to a public that has played little or no TW and therefore are not sick and tired of certain flaws that are there in all titles. Additionally, it's by far the most replayable and varied title.

If ToB was a tremendous release deserving to be called the new historical title, I'm sure that TW historical players would outnumber fantasy players, but we got a joke instead, a recycled, conservative game filled with new interesting mechanics that weren't implemented in the right way.

I think it's shame the series so far hasn't evolved to do a modern era game. By modern era I mean post 1900-1990. You could say well you could always play the Wargame series or something simular but then isn't that a limitation of the present format of Total War to not expand into other periods of history. Let alone into the realms of Science Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Nope. Just used 30 day average which is more accurate 
    This time no. June 1st. was big update and basically everybody in WH2 was waiting for it before starting new campaign ;-) Naturally players number were low, only thing we can do is wait for end of the month. ;-)

My point is that given that TW historical titles have been found more or less disappointing (despite I can enjoy them with mods for sure) and warhammer is specially directed to a public that has played little or no TW and therefore are not sick and tired of certain flaws that are there in all titles. Additionally, it's by far the most replayable and varied title.

If ToB was a tremendous release deserving to be called the new historical title, I'm sure that TW historical players would outnumber fantasy players, but we got a joke instead, a recycled, conservative game filled with new interesting mechanics that weren't implemented in the right way.
    I think main problem is unhealthy expectation from ToB. Everybody was looking at WHs and 3K and thought that ToB must be just little lesser but in fact it is just bigger espansion. Was it DLC for Attila, it would be perfectly good but they opted to be standalone and standalone games so far were little bigger in scope, new mechanics etc...And standalone makes sense due to Attila´s poor sales unless bundled with Attila for 5 bucks or something..

I mean it is completely fair to expect historical title with new features, mechanics in big enough scope.

This time no. June 1st. was big update and basically everybody in WH2 was waiting for it before starting new campaign ;-) Naturally players number were low, only thing we can do is wait for end of the month. ;-)
    But then we saw an abnormally large amount of people playing ME w/ Norsca once the big update hit, which is for 1/2 the 30 day period measured. In any case, the last 7 days is deeply misleading.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast