Thread: Spectator mod

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

Default Spectator mod

I actually really enjoyed sitting back and watching the battles in Warhammer, using the spectate mod. Before anyone says, yes I know there is built in functionality for letting the AI take command of your troops, but it seems to be a rudimentary AI that simply marches towards the enemy. The spectate AI mod edits the battle scripts to assign an AI_planner to the player, thus giving the player army the exact same AI the enemy has.

I've read through his scripts line-by-line over and over but I simply can't replicate it in Throes of Britannia. I can't even tell if editing the scripts is even affecting the game as I think I would have broken the game by now with some of my changes. Perhaps scripts aren't even loaded yet?

Anyways if anyone is willing to lend a hand in trying to figure this out I'd really appreciate it. I've had multiple people asking for me to do this mod for multiple TW games and I feel like I'm letting them all down in not being able to crack this.

Quick note: the original author of the spectate mod has stated many times that his scripts are free to be used, dissected and replicated in any way possible since he has no intention of supporting more than just the warhammer games.

I have supplied the vanilla scripts as well as the modded versions of the TW:WH version in a zip attached to this post. You can use notepad++ with a compare addon to quickly compare lines.

You'll notice right away there is no campaign_battle script in ToB and that the battle_script_unit is named differently as well as a couple of different lines. I've tried adapting as best I can but no luck after about 5 hours of trial and error, but then again I'm not a programmer I'm an artist so anyone with programming knowledge will probably figure this out in a second. Keep in mind the original author said he's never coded or modded in his life and just worked it out himself, so it can't be that difficult
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Spectator mod

Still no luck on my end. One thing that may help is if someone is able to upload a zip with the spectator mod .lua files for Warhammer 2 as well as the vanilla counterparts. I don't own Warhammer 2 so I'm unable to get them myself. I saw the original author mention things had changed for WH2 so it may help to see how he wen't about getting it workign there. It could give me some hints towards getting it working in this title and perhaps previous ones too. Thanks