Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning about imageshack.us hosting - how to mass export pictures and move on

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Icon4 Warning about imageshack.us hosting - how to mass export pictures and move on

Hi everyone,
    first off I have to say thank you to the company from California for 7 years of service, most of them without any issues or technical hiccups.

When choosing to go "cloud" always remember that you have to trust your partner that you hand out the data. When choosing the cloud you rise and die with them.

Imageshack has lost my trust to be honest.
    Not only I was paying for a subscribtion which now is rated at 18 $ / year at "50% discount" for several years now, also they did not care about my data.

Many of my links posted here on TWC rely to imageshack hosted content, such as my photobooks for Tomb Raider and Ryse: Son of Rome, but also other things like TW survey content etc.
    This year I've overcome with the decision to leave imageshack.

Reasons:
    - Images stored on Imageshack got corrupted dozen times (also visible in the video). They can only tried to be repaired contacting the support with each single file being corrupted.
    - the customer support cannot be contacted by any means as they rely on Google Captcha Version 1, which was disbanded by Google some months ago.
    Therefore you cannot use their forms anymore
    - The telephone number stated on their website seems not to be active anymore, I get redirected to an answering machine, not even knowing from the greeting messsage if it is the answering machine from Imageshack office.
    - They won't call back
    - Costs are too high for my usage pattern and now even considering the data loss.

So my new concern was, how to get away from a cloud service with thousands of pictures stored. There is no way to ask the customer support for a brief how-to exporting the pictures. As said the support is not reachable so I would like to share a short how-to how to get your content back

1. Login to your Imageshack account
    2. if you use albums choose the compact view else use the all pictures view
    3. download Free Download manager (DownthemAll is no longer suppported in Firefox) http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm
    4. install Free Download manager
    5. in Imageshack album or all images view press "select all" on the right pane
    6. select the "get links" icon on the same pane
    7. in the new window make sure to setup Type: "Direct links" and Size: "Full Size"
    8. All image links will be displayed and are selected automatically
    9. press Ctrl+C to copy the links to the clipboard
    10. in Free Download manager click on the hamburger menu
    11. in the menu click on "insert URL from clipboard"
    12. if you download a same kind of images (album) choose a brief folder name and repeat next time using the same name so pictures that belong together are going to be downloaded in the same folder
    13. once the download has finished (might notify about damaged files, because they are damaged on imageshack.us) go back to imageshack > close the get links window, and delete the seleted pictures
    14. repeat once all pictures are downloaded and deleted

Last edited by alQamar; May 08, 2018 at 04:23 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Warning about imageshack.us hosting - how to mass export pictures and move on

Very useful thanks alQamar.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Warning about imageshack.us hosting - how to mass export pictures and move on

Thank you Greek, given the near zero feedback I wonder if there was anyone blind enough to follow / use imageshack.us.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

To be honest I have forgotten that imageshack still exists.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

What I said technically they are dead now with cut off support through lazyness

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    What I said technically they are dead now with cut off support through lazyness

Yeah I know. Not sure why this happened though. The possibility for their stuff to be that lazy or irresponsible really strikes me.

Don't really know anyone who uses imageshack anymore.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I can fairly understand this. I think I was old-school. Imgur was no better solution.

I use imgur sometimes. I don't love or hate it though.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Don't really know anyone who uses imageshack anymore.
    Well still some people does but if they continue to be like this, guess none will anymore.

- - - - -

Sorry to hear that alQamar.

You pay, but not get a good service still. It's fraud.
    Last edited by SharpEyed; August 23, 2018 at 07:19 PM.

imageshack. I migrated 3 years ago when couple of my images were corrupted and couldn't be retrieved. Totally unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    imageshack. I migrated 3 years ago when couple of my images were corrupted and couldn't be retrieved. Totally unreliable.
    What's your preference now ?

ImgBB or TinyPic seem alright

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    ImgBB or TinyPic seem alright
    Have you tried imgur at all ?

Oh damn. Just noticing now that I've mixed them up (Thou I'm pretty sure that I've tried them both before write here)
    imgshack isn't blocked in Turkey but imgur is (Don't know why thou, obscene stuff maybe?)

But imgshack is pay to upload anyway, so..
    Last edited by SharpEyed; August 23, 2018 at 07:21 PM.

Oh damn. Just noticing now that I've mixed them up (Thou I'm pretty sure that I've tried them both before write here)
    imgshack isn't blocked in Turkey but imgur is (Don't know why thou, obscene stuff maybe?)

But imgshack is pay to upload anyway, so..
    Not sure why, imgur isn't blocked anywhere AFAIK. Maybe in Korea ?
    Sounds weird though. Do you have 9gag or reddit ?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Not sure why, imgur isn't blocked anywhere AFAIK. Maybe in Korea ?
    Sounds weird though. Do you have 9gag or reddit ?
    Yea those work fine, thou I use neither.

Well either they're blocked or they blocked Turkey (if thats possible)
    It was accessible before thou (without Vpn I mean) and I had images there.

Well either they're blocked or they blocked Turkey (if thats possible)
    That'd be totally crazy.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; September 03, 2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    What's your preference now ?
    Imgur. And google drive cloud service for private storage.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Imgur has worked very well for me
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast