Thread: DLC Speculation

Default DLC Speculation

I was just thinking that the lovely big granular map of the British Isles combined with the title of the game, lends itself to other conflicts within the British Isles.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 1066 campaign released at some point, given that it would only take a few reskins and event chains.

Other possibilities include the Anarchy of the twelfth century (although probably not very exciting and a bit generic medieval) or the Wars of the Roses.

The ultimate would be the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, aka English Civil War etc. Although to be fair this would probably be deserving of its own game.

Thoughts? Is this just wishful thinking on my part? I know some people hate DLC but I'm not opposed if the content and price are worth it, and I would love to play more of British history.

Default Re: DLC Speculation

I'm more inclined to see them leaning into the viking part of the game than the British stuff and expanding the map to include Frisia and Normandy and possibly doing something with viking era Scandinavia.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

I doubt they will expand the map in any future DLC. If they do a DLC campaign it will most likely a Norman Invasion and conquest campaign, other DLCs will be units etc.

You forgot the most likely DLC ever:

Blood and Gore.

Ugh. I hate that I'm going to buy it as soon as it comes available...but I *do* love me some bloody battlefields...

Call me an heretic, but I don't like DLC's that create a completely new campaign. I want DLC's that EXPAND the original campaign. Like if you want to make a dlc abou 1066, fine, but don't make it a separate campaign, with some tweaks to gameplay, make it Paradox style, add stuff to the original campaign and change the gameplay there. It's just such b$ to have a separate mini mod for a mini mod game, EXPAND THE GAMEPLAY.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I would think that the DLC will be unlocking various factions for us to play.

I agree that the Normans could appear somewhere (I've yet to play an Anglo-Saxon faction) but that is more of a 'what happened next' scenario. What Harold almost achieved was remarkable - defeating the Norsk at Stamford Bridge then marching all the way down to the South Coast.

Wasn't the expansion to the original Medieval:TW titled 'Viking Invasion'? Yes, I go that far back (well even to the original Shogun).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post

I agree that the Normans could appear somewhere (I've yet to play an Anglo-Saxon faction) but that is more of a 'what happened next' scenario. What Harold almost achieved was remarkable - defeating the Norsk at Stamford Bridge then marching all the way down to the South Coast.

Wasn't the expansion to the original Medieval:TW titled 'Viking Invasion'? Yes, I go that far back (well even to the original Shogun).
    I remember the day I bought the original Shogun back in 2000, I remember it like yesterday

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    I doubt they will expand the map in any future DLC. If they do a DLC campaign it will most likely a Norman Invasion and conquest campaign, other DLCs will be units etc.
    The Normans are already in ToB as a late game event. Not sure what a Norman campaign would bring new to the table - same factions, cultures, units, etc.

ToB will probably end up getting a blood pack as well as unlocking 2-3 new factions for the campaign map. That's fine for what is already essentially a mini-campaign.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

ceretic's Avatar Centenarius

I want a DLC unlocking other factions, such as Cerneu
    "Morydd left not one man of the army alive, but ordered each to be brought before him, one after another, to be killed and then flayed; and he rested for a short while, and then had the others to be flayed alive and afterwards burned." Ystorya Brenhined y Brytanyeit, Jesus MS. LXI

Or perhaps they could do the roman invasion of Britain (don't know which one, but probably not Caesars one)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    I remember the day I bought the original Shogun back in 2000, I remember it like yesterday
    I still remember the day I bought these bad boys.
    Shogun 1 was like a new world to me and Med 1 is probably my most played game in Total War series, after Med 2 ofc

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I’ll buy the game when I see a blood mod! Love the dust effects for realism but let down by clean battles. Why have this missing from the game?

Quote Originally Posted by FEARLESS View Post
    I’ll buy the game when I see a blood mod! Love the dust effects for realism but let down by clean battles. Why have this missing from the game?
    For PEGI reasons mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sesshaku View Post
    Call me an heretic, but I don't like DLC's that create a completely new campaign. I want DLC's that EXPAND the original campaign. Like if you want to make a dlc abou 1066, fine, but don't make it a separate campaign, with some tweaks to gameplay, make it Paradox style, add stuff to the original campaign and change the gameplay there. It's just such b$ to have a separate mini mod for a mini mod game, EXPAND THE GAMEPLAY.
    Agree with this 100%. Especially the GS part of the game has gotten so dumbed down I can hardly bare it. I've been content with the tactical battles since M2, and from there, while the battles have gotten flashier, the GS part of the games has gone through a complete butchery. At this point, I'd propably pay 10 bucks for a DLC that gives me the ability to use conquered regions as bargaining chips in Rome 2. The constant cutting of diplomatic/political options has rendered the player unable to do anything but
    conduct a full war of conquest again and again. No limited warfare, no retaking territory for an ally, no taking your enemy's capital to froce them into peace. Just map painting and glorified base building. Warcraft 3 with some added boring parts.

As far as DLC I would *like* to see:

Wars of Scottish Independence.

Could be something like "William Wallace Totalwar" or something, but yeah: I think that would make for a really interesting campaign. I have always wanted CA to do a campaign/game where it was primarily just two large/powerful factions duking it out, and this campaign would really work for that. Plus: Late 13th-Early 14th century warfare would be a nice and pleasing change of pace for the game.

Just a thought :-)

Quote Originally Posted by leerm02 View Post
    As far as DLC I would *like* to see:

Wars of Scottish Independence.

Could be something like "William Wallace Totalwar" or something, but yeah: I think that would make for a really interesting campaign. I have always wanted CA to do a campaign/game where it was primarily just two large/powerful factions duking it out, and this campaign would really work for that. Plus: Late 13th-Early 14th century warfare would be a nice and pleasing change of pace for the game.

Just a thought :-)
    A William Wallace based era style game would be quite interesting, indeed.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

If they were to add more factions, what would they be?

I think Gallgoidel would be interesting. They could make stronger use of a hybrid Norse and Gaelic roster, like how Northymbre and East Englia are hybrid Norse-Saxon. Although Dyflin has a Kern skirmisher unit, I want to see more of this. I think they also have a strong and interesting starting position as well.

As Ceretic mentioned, I would like to see a Cornish faction like Cerneu. It would be a challenging campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    As Ceretic mentioned, I would like to see a Cornish faction like Cerneu. It would be a challenging campaign!
    Who wouldn't ?

Cornxit shall be a reality I tell you!

I don't really see what factions they could add that have a different roster though, which is usually atleast something of a requirement. Gallgoidel as mentioned could be interesting but that is a hybrid of existing rosters. The one faction I thought could have had atleast a slightly different roster, Strat Clut, unfortunately just shares a roster with Gwined with the exception of the Old North Uchelwyr.