Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Shadow over Greenwood - Lord of the Rings

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: A Shadow over Greenwood - Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    The inkeep gave her a squint as she approached. He'd seen one Elf in forty years, and now two appear on the same day. In his bar, no less!

"Two of yer kind I've served today. What brings ye here, my lady? Per'aps business with your kinsman?"

He gestured over to the corner where Malagad was sat, brooding.
    The beginnings of a smile tugged at the edge of her lips. Business of import enough to make two elves leave their home. She replied coyly, and followed the man’s gesture toward Malagad. If I’d business with my kinsman I might have saved myself the trip and stayed in the woodland realm.. Though, that is a good enough place as any to start. She thought, before replying. I thank you human, it will be a start. She replied softly, a smile playing its way across her face as she patted the bar lightly with slender hands. Without further hesitation she began stalking toward the other elf, perhaps he would know where this collection of free peoples were. Hail friend. She called in elvish upon her approach. Have you come to answer this call for aid as well? She raised an eyebrow quizzically.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; May 04, 2018 at 10:18 AM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Beorn turned around in his seat as some other patron came rushing up to the table. "What's it to you," he responded before pausing and carefully inspecting the newcomer's face. "Wait, I know you. Didn't we hire you a few times as a caravan guard? Brand's Bulk, finest general goods in all of Dale and such," he repeated his father's catchphrase, the disinterest in the family business only thinly veiled. He then extended his hand. "Call me Beorn. Dale's finest has been called here to investigate the Mirkwood," he then proceeded to inform his new acquaintance, not interested in including that haggard 'Hallas' one bit. "We'll strike out, see what's going on, maybe even get to see if some of those children's tales about enormous critters have at least a core of truth to them." He grinned. "And when we confirm that it's all made up stories, we'll finally get those merchant trains to make decent time."
    "Brand's Bulk, and many others. Guarding merchants on the road and fixing things for villagers isn't the most glamorous of jobs, but somebody's got to do it, and I suppose it's been a fair enough way to make a living ever since I left the ranks of 'Dale's finest'." Viduimer shook the guardsman's extended hand. "Name's Viduimer."
    Beorn shrugged. "With all due respect, old man, I don't think we're here because we need the money," he replied. "I bet the dwarves have a pretty penny on them, they're dwarves after all." He then cleared his throat softly. "If Dale needs me to prove my worth, I will without hesitation." He looked over the three others that had gathered. The Dalesman looked only a few years older than himself, but by the looks of it he knew how to handle himself in a fight. Both the dwarves looked like they'd already lived through a thousand battles and brawls, but then again most of them did. "If I might say so myself, a fine fellowship of four sits here. When will we be off to the west?" He asked Hallas, apparently confident that the danger would be no match for a small party of men and eager to prove his worth.

"In a few days, I should think. Once we've purchased supplies for our journey."

Hallas didn't seem overly impressed with Beorn's eagerness, but by now they almost numbered enough to begin their fateful journey into the forest. They would indeed be ready to leave soon.

"Make sure you come prepared. Or don't come at all, Beorn, son of Brand."
    "Fine by me." Viduimer laconically answered, crossing his arms. He didn't quite share the younger Dalesman's eagerness, his own spirit and reckless enthusiasm having been tempered by his removal from the city watch and travels on the road.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus
    "Go on."

Hallas said, after a brief pause of hesitation. He'd likely heard the story a dozen times before - trolls from the mountains, orcs on the roads, spiders from the forest. The same tales were being told up and down the Anduin Vale.
    "There is a darkness in that forest. I used to gather roots and hunt game as a young lad, but now no-one dares bare cast their gaze to the East these days. They speak of some kind of-some kind of, deep evil, spreading like poison in the very veins o' the forest. Some say its dark magic, others say it's something much older and fouler, some even claim it's the doing of the wicked elves of Thranduil's realm. Whatever the cause, people are disappearing from towns and villages up and down the vale. But there's no trace of a struggle, no sign of even a break-in. In some cases, many days passed before we knew the poor soul was gone. It's as though they're disappearing right from their beds... an' it's makin' people fear every dark corner, every creak in the night. It has to end."

Thorik paused and moistened his lips, acutely aware of the total attention the table of misfts, nobles, dwarves and beornings was giving him, seemingly leaning towards him without moving at all. The room was impressing upon him, like a cavern that was becoming a cave, that was becoming a tunnel. The atmosphere was physically claustrophobic to him. It wasn't the environment he was used to compared to the remote lifestyle of the vale he preferred to live.

"They, or it, took my own father as well. I have nothing left, but my axe and my horse.

Tis is not the orcs, the spiders nay the trolls I fear, it's what I can't see with my own eyes that I fear. Until, that is, I found anonymous note telling me to journey to Dale, if I wished to seek the answer to my problems, pinned to my front door.

On the inside, of my front door, however it got there.

So here I am."

Thorik paused, noticing for the first time the fact that Hallas not only was, but felt.. huge. He had an unseeming presence, with a twinkle in his eye that betrayed the gruff exterior he maintained. He was unlike any 'man' Thorik had ever dealt with in his 24 winters. For someone not used to social occasions such as this, Thorik had an uncanny connection and judgement of all creatures. And he sensed something in this strange man, who stood out among the men of Dale, or indeed, of any mannish Kingdom besides.

"And who are you, exactly?", Thorik finally added.
    Last edited by Aexodus; May 05, 2018 at 06:36 AM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    This Hallas was clearly not man of the tribes yet he spoke of them as though he was familiar with them. The strange man was not threatening and so be took a seat a little uncomfortable in the straight backed chair. He looked at Hallas again perhaps he was a woodsmen or a ranger and had visited among some of the other tribes?

Ooc would I have heard any stories of Hallas or a man resembling his description from other members of Beorns clan?

Ic, "My father is a legendary warrior true." He said after a momment, "have you met him before?"
    (OOC: They may have heard a tale or two of a wanderer, yes. He's no stranger to the Wilderland.)

"I haven't had the honour. But you're both of Beorn's kin, who are known to me. We have mutual acquaintances, you could say."

How, exactly, was unknown. Hallas revealed nothing from his attempted reassurances. He called over a mug of ale for the young Beorning, and set it down before him.

"But I digress. You've come to Dale for some purpose, I wager."

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    "There is a darkness in that forest. I used to gather roots and hunt game as a young lad, but now no-one dares bare cast their gaze to the East these days. They speak of some kind of-some kind of, deep evil, spreading like poison in the very veins o' the forest. Some say its dark magic, others say it's something much older and fouler, some even claim it's the doing of the wicked elves of Thranduil's realm. Whatever the cause, people are disappearing from towns and villages up and down the vale. But there's no trace of a struggle, no sign of even a break-in. In some cases, many days passed before we knew the poor soul was gone. It's as though they're disappearing right from their beds... an' it's makin' people fear every dark corner, every creak in the night. It has to end."

Thorik paused and moistened his lips, acutely aware of the total attention the table of misfts, nobles, dwarves and beornings was giving him, seemingly leaning towards him without moving at all. The room was impressing upon him, like a cavern that was becoming a cave, that was becoming a tunnel. The atmosphere was physically claustrophobic to him. It wasn't the environment he was used to compared to the remote lifestyle of the vale he preferred to live.

"They, or it, took my own father as well. I have nothing left, but my axe and my horse.

Tis is not the orcs, the spiders nay the trolls I fear, it's what I can't see with my own eyes that I fear. Until, that is, I found anonymous note telling me to journey to Dale, if I wished to seek the answer to my problems, pinned to my front door.

On the inside, of my front door, however it got there.

So here I am."

Thorik paused, noticing for the first time the fact that Hallas not only was, but felt.. huge. He had an unseeming presence, with a twinkle in his eye that betrayed the gruff exterior he maintained. He was unlike any 'man' Thorik had ever dealt with in his 24 winters. For someone not used to social occasions such as this, Thorik had an uncanny connection and judgement of all creatures. And he sensed something in this strange man, who stood out among the men of Dale, or indeed, of any mannish Kingdom besides.

"And who are you, exactly?", Thorik finally added.
    There was a long silence as Hallas collected his thoughts. Thorik's story clearly didn't surprise him, judging by the grim countenance he wore. His gaze betrayed a sense of understanding, and perhaps a hint of sympathy for their plight.

"I'm Hallas, a friend of a certain wizard. It is on his errand that I am here, to investigate the shadow that has fallen over all those who dwell near the Greenwood. A mysterious note summoned you here, you say?"

His expression twisted into a perplexed smirk.

"Well, I did not leave it. But you were clearly fated to come here..."

Again, he paused, realising he knew not this man's name, and looked down upon him expectantly.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

There was a long silence as Hallas collected his thoughts. Thorik's story clearly didn't surprise him, judging by the grim countenance he wore. His gaze betrayed a sense of understanding, and perhaps a hint of sympathy for their plight.

"I'm Hallas, a friend of a certain wizard. It is on his errand that I am here, to investigate the shadow that has fallen over all those who dwell near the Greenwood. A mysterious note summoned you here, you say?"

His expression twisted into a perplexed smirk.

"Well, I did not leave it. But you were clearly fated to come here..."

Again, he paused, realising he knew not this man's name, and looked down upon him expectantly.

"It would seem so. Oh, and I am Thorik, son of Rorik"

Thorik glanded at the many, varied faces that surrounded him round the table.

"Well lads, what are we waiting for, and whats the plan then? And I assume we have similar reasons for being here?..."

Thorik seemed to direct this half to the others, and half to Hallas himself.

As he made to take his seat, a set of sharp ears caught Thorik's stern eye from across the room. Two, actually, a male and female elf, seemingly in reserved consversation. Thorik had had bad experiences with elves before, and had heard all the tales of wicked elves and their doings. It did not make him feel any better about this strange city in the north, dwarves, humans and elves, but he snapped his gaze away when he realised Hallas might have noticed his brief distraction.
    Last edited by Aexodus; May 05, 2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I haven't had the honour. But you're both of Beorn's kin, who are known to me. We have mutual acquaintances, you could say."

How, exactly, was unknown. Hallas revealed nothing from his attempted reassurances. He called over a mug of ale for the young Beorning, and set it down before him.

"But I digress. You've come to Dale for some purpose, I wager."
    Stories of a ranger had been told by some of the warbands. A man who had joined them fighting off bands of orcs, but the name Hallas was never mentioned. Maybe the man was the same? It was clear the man had more knowledge of the wilderness then most men?

"I hear you are going into the forest." He says, "I am looking to go in as well."

He liked the Forest much more than this dirty smelly city.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Frar bowed, assuming the common custom of Durin's folk. "Hail, Kalf. I am Frar, at your service and your family's." He was sure he had met Kalf at some point before, but he could not be sure. Kalf had surely not worked among him in Erebor and yet...he seemed to remember the dwarf from the wars some years past. "I seem to recall you; did you not serve in a company in the dragon wars? A service in the uppermost heights of the Grey Mountains?"

Frar knew that the post he held was unique, that the cold drakes of the north were not airborne, and that if they wished to dislodge them, it would take concerted effort. Frar spoke in the common tongue, despite the fact Khuzdul would have allowed the discussion to remain private.
    ”Aye that I did, though I am surprised you remember me.” Kalf meets Frar’s gaze, giving a look of understanding shared between warriors “I led Aule's Hammers. We burrowed into the mountains, then brought them down on top of the beasts. Strike them hard, and then move in for the kill.” Reaching into shirt Kalf exposed a mithril chain necklace, upon which hung 4 long teeth. “What about you” Kalf asks curiously.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

"So few returned from assignments such as those, as necessary as they were." Frar replied in a sad tone. "I lost many kin in such endeavors, and all for naught." Frar had taken his own trophies as well. His own mail which he wrought was interwoven with worm scales, polished to a unmatched shine.

The third elf within the establishment sighs after patiently waiting for one of the servers to come over so she could order a cup of Lake-town wine, but due to the boisterous actions of the groups of Dalesmen around her along with the other elf that entered the establishment not long after her, it would appear she was forgotten, likely concealed behind the group of men and dwarves, which has grown in number as the man who appeared clearly uncomfortable in the tavern moved and joined them, as did another arrival, with their conversation turning towards to the topic of Mirkwood, of which at least one of the men seemed to scoff at the dangers of the forest, another spouted off something she has heard before from men who are not of the Woodmen of the Wilderland, causing her to recall the last time she heard that, from some irate villager who demanded she return her two daughters or else a few years ago, followed by her sighing. "At least this time it's not one of those who claim we bathe in the blood of children to retain our youth.."

She then gets up from her seat, picking up her weapons from the chair next to her, and would walk over to the bar. "One cup of wine, please." she would say as she placed a handful of Dalish coins down on the bar.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

"Sāni āptāllā kāzāndım" A mysterious easterner shouted spitefully to his opponent of a dice game in his own native language. Though distant placed from all the rest surely others must have heard that.

Then not so long after that dice game had ended the Easterner found himself discussing the latest rumors with some other fellow drinkers. Those fellow drinkers looked anything but decent however, though other's could see a different face in the Easterling, more noble, more eastern.

"They tell so much about, Mirkwood". He replied to the discussion in the common language with a deep set frown, waving away the rumors which the easterling believed to be exaggerated anyways.

"I tell you, there's more wickedness here in this city against me than there will be ever in Mirkwood" He said with a hushed tone. He didn't like the people of Dale and neither did they like him. He'd ended up here in Dale only because he was looking for a mercenary company or something.

Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post

"It would seem so. Oh, and I am Thorik, son of Rorik"

Thorik glanded at the many, varied faces that surrounded him round the table.

"Well lads, what are we waiting for, and whats the plan then? And I assume we have similar reasons for being here?..."

Thorik seemed to direct this half to the others, and half to Hallas himself.

As he made to take his seat, a set of sharp ears caught Thorik's stern eye from across the room. Two, actually, a male and female elf, seemingly in reserved consversation. Thorik had had bad experiences with elves before, and had heard all the tales of wicked elves and their doings. It did not make him feel any better about this strange city in the north, dwarves, humans and elves, but he snapped his gaze away when he realised Hallas might have noticed his brief distraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Stories of a ranger had been told by some of the warbands. A man who had joined them fighting off bands of orcs, but the name Hallas was never mentioned. Maybe the man was the same? It was clear the man had more knowledge of the wilderness then most men?

"I hear you are going into the forest." He says, "I am looking to go in as well."

He liked the Forest much more than this dirty smelly city.
    Hallas nodded, aware of Thorik's distraction: he had noticed the Elves long before any of the others, for the firstborn carried themselves differently to mortals. However, he looked to pay them no mind.

"Aye. We go into the forest."

He announced, loudly, so that those on adjacent tables would overhear.

"You have tomorrow to prepare. I will be at the city gate the next morning, with our supplied and horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    The third elf within the establishment sighs after patiently waiting for one of the servers to come over so she could order a cup of Lake-town wine, but due to the boisterous actions of the groups of Dalesmen around her along with the other elf that entered the establishment not long after her, it would appear she was forgotten, likely concealed behind the group of men and dwarves, which has grown in number as the man who appeared clearly uncomfortable in the tavern moved and joined them, as did another arrival, with their conversation turning towards to the topic of Mirkwood, of which at least one of the men seemed to scoff at the dangers of the forest, another spouted off something she has heard before from men who are not of the Woodmen of the Wilderland, causing her to recall the last time she heard that, from some irate villager who demanded she return her two daughters or else a few years ago, followed by her sighing. "At least this time it's not one of those who claim we bathe in the blood of children to retain our youth.."

She then gets up from her seat, picking up her weapons from the chair next to her, and would walk over to the bar. "One cup of wine, please." she would say as she placed a handful of Dalish coins down on the bar.
    The barman dutifully obliged, though he seemed more than a little bemused at the number of elves that were happening to frequent the inn.

"What business brings you to Dale, m'lady? It seems that many strange folk have chosen this day to get a drink at my inn."

He looked over at the growing table of assorted men and Dwarves, and the two elves sat adjacent to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Sāni āptāllā kāzāndım" A mysterious easterner shouted spitefully to his opponent of a dice game in his own native language. Though distant placed from all the rest surely others must have heard that.

Then not so long after that dice game had ended the Easterner found himself discussing the latest rumors with some other fellow drinkers. Those fellow drinkers looked anything but decent however, though other's could see a different face in the Easterling, more noble, more eastern.

"They tell so much about, Mirkwood". He replied to the discussion in the common language with a deep set frown, waving away the rumors which the easterling believed to be exaggerated anyways.

"I tell you, there's more wickedness here in this city against me than there will be ever in Mirkwood" He said with a hushed tone. He didn't like the people of Dale and neither did they like him. He'd ended up here in Dale only because he was looking for a mercenary company or something.

Hallas instinctively gripped at something under his cloak as he caught wind of Eastern speech. He muttered a curse; if this was a spy of the enemy, then he could only blame his own foolishness for allowing him to come so close without being noticed.

"What business brings you here, man of the east?"

Called out Hallas, standing from his chair. He gazed at the Easterling unflinchingly, caution written across his face.

Hallas instinctively gripped at something under his cloak as he caught wind of Eastern speech. He muttered a curse; if this was a spy of the enemy, then he could only blame his own foolishness for allowing him to come so close without being noticed.

"What business brings you here, man of the east?"

Called out Hallas, standing from his chair. He gazed at the Easterling unflinchingly, caution written across his face.
    "Serious matters, eh" Replied Azūl who otherwise remained unmoved by the sudden question posed by this elf.

This easterling, coming from the western fringes of Rhūn, had those typical looks.... black hair, brown eye's, and a rather darker skin. It ofcourse did not help his clothes and armor were of the eastern Fashion.

"I am looking for an opportunity......"
    The Easterling said in the common language with a heavily eastern accent who continued to play his game of dice.

"Do you dare to face me, elf?" The easterling laughed, he himself was quite good in the game of dice. The easterling then ordered more wine to brought to his table.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"I am no Elf."

He didn't wish to make a scene, but he pulled back his cloak slightly to reveal the hilt of a blade, the scabbard reaching down towards his muddied boots.

"I advise you to leave, now. You aren't welcome here, Easterling."

By now, the patrons of the bar had all caught wind of what was going on, and had fallen silent as the exchange took place.

Frar rose, examining the commotion. He had little understanding of the implication, other than the men of the east and Dale were not on friendly terms. He turned to his kin folk "Ifridī bekār?"

His axe was outside, but he still wore his short sword on his hip.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mīlnith turned away from her kinsfolk, who had been curiously silent, her eyes trailing toward the easterling nearby. She wondered what such a man would be doing here, and further still why he would be attempting to infiltrate this venture into the Mirkwood. She casually placed delicate fingers upon the hilts of her twin blades and watched with interest.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Viduimer's right hand involuntarily twitched towards his sword the unexpected sight of the Easterling while his left moved for his shield, only for him to realize with a grimace that he'd left it back in his chair when he moved to join Hallas and Beorn. Nevertheless, he glared daggers at the Easterling, meeting that member of his people's ancient enemy - and his own family's ruin - with mute hostility.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Fervir watched Hallas go with interest. He was confronting a man with a strange Eastern accent. One of the evil men of the East? He had never seen one before. Still he felt the mood in the room and gripped his spear. If there was to be a fight he would prove his worth to this group.

The barman dutifully obliged, though he seemed more than a little bemused at the number of elves that were happening to frequent the inn.

"What business brings you to Dale, m'lady? It seems that many strange folk have chosen this day to get a drink at my inn."

He looked over at the growing table of assorted men and Dwarves, and the two elves sat adjacent to them.
    Narieth takes a drink from the cup of wine. "Trading some herbs, hides, and other wares of the forest." She looks over at the table of assorted men once more, and shrugs. "Probably just a band of mercenaries or caravan guards getting a drink before seeking employment..." Her gaze turns to the other two elves and was about to reply when Hallas rose from his seat and challenged another man at a different table, soon to be joined by some of the others at his table while the other man replied. She would then finish the cup of wine before walking over to where the other two elves were, one hand on the dagger's hilt, the other holding her spear as she watched the encounter between the men with a cautious expression, as if one man moved against the other, it probably would escalate.

"Advice rejected" Replied the easterner unmoved and unimpressed, now looking up to this man from his chair.

If the man wanted a fight he would get one, though he did not wish for it unless truly necessarily. The easterner would then sip from his nearly empty cup of wine.

"For so far i know i have no reason to do so unless searching for work is a crime now" Said the easterner in the common language, though with a horrible accent from the east. His hand began slowly to move to his eastern style sword just in case...
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Advice rejected" Replied the easterner unmoved and unimpressed, now looking up to this man from his chair.

If the man wanted a fight he would get one, though he did not wish for it unless truly necessarily. The easterner would then sip from his nearly empty cup of wine.

"For so far i know i have no reason to do so unless searching for work is a crime now" Said the easterner in the common language, though with a horrible accent from the east. His hand began slowly to move to his eastern style sword just in case...

"Why are you here, so far from your own lands?"

Hallas didn't move, but his hand was brushing against the pommel of his blade. He didn't seem convinced.

"You are a poor spy, if that is your purpose here."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast