Thread: Galatia as a faction?

Default Galatia as a faction?

I always thought of these guys as more than mercenaries since they were significant enough to be officially recognized by at least some local powers.

I also imagine the campaign against so many different surrounding cultures would be a blast.

Frtigern's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Galatia as a faction?

I agree. Actually I believe people have migrated Celtic factions to Gallatia and expanded from there. Would like to see Anatolian Celts unifying under one banner with Iberian Celts and everything in between.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    Swords don't kill people, people with swords kill people.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

They make fantastic mercenaries (their uniforms and armor look gorgeous too), but I'm not sure they deserve to be a viable faction. The Galatians were a potent force in the armies of great Hellenistic states like the Ptolemaic Kingdom, and were a real threat to neighbors like Pergamon, but their state in the middle of Central Anatolia didn't have any grand ambitions or legacy of expansion. That's one of the requirements for an EB II faction, actually.

The problem is that you scripted boii faction to be able to play the role of Galatians.

Buy the said faction is forced to keep boii original capital because Druidic scholarship script demands you family members to go to the boii original capital.

So while you tried to do so, there is actually no way to play Galatians.

Buy the said faction is forced to keep boii original capital because Druidic scholarship script demands you family members to go to the boii original capital.
    Actually, as I recall a confederation IS buildable in Galatia for the Boii--I think(I requested that such be done in the past). BUT the problem is that the culture % is too damn low at game start to build one. It also has nothing to do with Streuinta--it's all tied to confederation buildings. Which can be built in a number of locations(this applies to all Celtic factions, with the Pritanoi being a special case due to their reforms and not having a confed building). That was to prevent druids from being able to be educated just about anywhere in the globe(a protectorate in Carthage really becoming a druidic learning center? Come on now...).

You could also fix the problem by creating a few new trigger in the EDCT and use Galatia's SettlementName sett_nnn # to make it a special case for druidic learning. Just follow my format in the code.

If you mean the BoiiEducation trait--simply change the sett_nnn # to Galatia.

There's a galatian ethnicity in 2.3 too--start all your FMs out as Galatai to reduce the BoiiEducation frequency.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; May 01, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Ok there is at least one education option that requires the original boii capital by name (whiii don't remember). Not a gov building, but the specific boii original capital. By name. It is clearly said "bring back this family member to (name_of_the_original_capital) to complete his education" on the trait, it has nothing to do with the gov building.

I was pretty sure it was druidism but maybe it is an other education feature I don't remember now.

As per your proposition to edit the script myself, to be honest I don't see how.

I have never edited the trait system in my life and even though, this is irrelevant. If everytime a user wants to play Galatians he has to edit the files, this feature has a structural problem.

I was simply saying this as a fact, not as a complaint :

As it is now, Galatians, while having been considered as an option to migrate with boii, are not entirely playable while using this feature (wanted by the dev since it is scripted and an event is even added when you take the settlement) because the original capital of boii faction is hard coded in this faction features by name.

This render the effort to make the boii a Galatian alternative (witch is also hard coded by devs) fruitless.
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; May 02, 2018 at 02:26 AM.

It's definitely the BoiiEducation trait. Druidic traits aren't that location specific(just checked)--it would suck if it were the CelticDruid trait. I don't see the big deal about the trait though...If you don't complete that training at the eligibility level, there's no penalty. It just goes away after age 40 or something--same thing as not becoming a druid if you're still at the eligibility level...It's a VERY minor trait, not really worth worrying about or game-breaking your Galatian migration. I also wouldn't call this a "scripted" trait, since it doesn't occur in the campaign script--although the Galatian Liberation pop-up does occur there. None of this is hardcoded either.

I'm confused though--wouldn't you have to do some file editing to migrate the Boii to Galatia in the first place? At any rate, obviously I didn't consider a Galatian migration campaign while traiting...This was all Boii-specific or Celt-general stuff.

I can make it evens simpler for you--go into the EDCT and ctrl+f BoiiEducation. Then go to the triggers section. Then, simply put a semi-colon at the start of each line to the left of the code, for each trigger. That will deactivate/comment-out the BoiiEducation trigger. Surely, that much is doable for anyone(all the relevant triggers are named BoiiEduX too).
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; May 02, 2018 at 06:11 AM.

At the very least, you'd need to remove the Galatian Independence script if you were to migrate - otherwise you're going to be constantly fighting Rebels in your "homeland" (until turn 200).

@Quintus :

Indeed, which is counter productive with the script added giving boii some Galatian features.

EBII team worked for nothing if it is not playable as it is.

@Genghis : no, all you have to do is to start a boii campaign, and go with your family members and armies from central Europe to Anatolia.

You can either lose your capital right at the beginning, which triggers the "migration" feature, or you can keep it until you are installed in Anatolia and then change your faction capital and then lose it. (Or sell it or whatever)

Ah right--simply teleport there using cheats. Well at any rate, your galatian migration idea would significantly benefit from some descr_strat editing replacing the CelticBoioi ethnicities with the CelticGalatai trait. It'd remove the BoiiEducation issue(for the early game at least--there's still the EDCT portion of that confusing "Celtic" ethnicities which would cause many boii characters due to the fallback trigger) and it'd be more realisitic to boot. Simply ctrl+f for CelticBoioi in the descr_strat.txt and replace the entries with CelticGalatai.

Oh... Ok a big thanks ! The problem is that while I don't know editting, I do it all the time nonetheless. My data folder start to look like a battlefield with all those holes in the files... Everytime I edit something, I am on the verge of having an unstable game or broken features or mechanics.

I tried to play Syracuse, Massalia, Emporion, Kyrene, Belgae and a lot of other fringe factions that I made myself (often with not a lot of success) and those games are not finish (and I love to come back to some of those saves sometimes) so it maaay be a little unstable to make more and more modifications.

What I mean to say is that if it was included in the mod features (I speak of Galatians specifically, not as a faction but as a possible migration point with no structural inequalities) it would be way more efficient than my string-and-paper-maché way of doing things.

Galatians are not faction worthy. Ok. But they can be very fun to play nonetheless, and I hope it can be done by EBII team.

But I will try your method nonetheless and pray for the Big Reinstall demon to be far far away from my computer.

I already wrote a basic editing guide to making Galatia a playable faction (instead of Boii); there isn't actually a lot that needs doing, since Galatia is already enabled as a viable place for the Boii to expand to.

On it, thanks !

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

They would definitely make for an interesting playthrough, being such a unique blend of cultures concentrated in a sigle region. There's two problems though, first, they didn't expand much and second, Anatolia is already a very crowded place.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    They would definitely make for an interesting playthrough, being such a unique blend of cultures concentrated in a sigle region. There's two problems though, first, they didn't expand much and second, Anatolia is already a very crowded place.
    Yes I read those points before and I tend to agree except for two things :

1 : in case of ai controlled faction, re-emergence makes things interesting in crowded regions. Having Anatolia being pillaged by Galatians because we couldn't hold the province and it re-emerged is quite an event by itself for instance. And the faction doesn't disappear entirely when eradicated so crowded places makes no difference for ai.

2 : in case of the faction controlled by player, it is very rare (as seen in other threads on this forum) that the situation is unplayable anymore because of the strat map. Things are no more difficult for a big part of the player pool because this game is old and quite frankly, a lot of us just beat the game.

I would add that the next new factions, Belgians, are in a similar situation with all those Celts and germanics around them.

But those are no way reasons to reconsider. I understand your position.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post
    Yes I read those points before and I tend to agree except for two things :

1 : in case of ai controlled faction, re-emergence makes things interesting in crowded regions. Having Anatolia being pillaged by Galatians because we couldn't hold the province and it re-emerged is quite an event by itself for instance. And the faction doesn't disappear entirely when eradicated so crowded places makes no difference for ai.
    I agree, it would be great if every region contained a faction, including factions that only appear later after a revolt. This would make the game much more dynamic, instead of having a region gained by eleutheroi with whom the player cannot interact diplomatically and who are likely to be reconquered within few turns.

The limitations of M2TW engine sadly doesn't allow for this...
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

I agree, it would be great if every region contained a faction, including factions that only appear later after a revolt. This would make the game much more dynamic, instead of having a region gained by eleutheroi with whom the player cannot interact diplomatically and who are likely to be reconquered within few turns.

This is an advantage of Rome 2.

What you describe is the byproduct of what I had in mind writing my post :

I will use an example :

If Galatian faction is already existing at the begining of the game and controlled by AI
    But is threatened by the configuration of Anatolia, and brought down because of it's weakness related to other AI faction
    Then, it is less a problem than before, thanks to the re-emergence sytem implemented by EBII team, which doesn't make the Galatian faction gone forever, but until (and it happens very frequently) the player or an AI faction loose control of the regions.
    After that, Galatians have a chance to create a mess in Anatolia, even more if they have the "migration" feature.
    Rince and repeat the loop.

This makes the proposition "Galatia is not viable because they are sourrounded by other factions and anatolia has no place to expand" less powerful, simply because of the re-emergence mechanism.

It doesn't makes the proposition too weak though, but it weakens it a bit.

The thing is : seeing the map and the conditions EBII team has for new faction, the choice will be very difficult at the end, because expansion will be limitted nontheless the more you add factions. Since there is still 2 or 3 slots (I don't remember) it will be difficult to justify the very existence of the last faction : it will have the problem of not respecting at least several of the conditions for new factions.

What I like with Galatians (and that is just a personal opinion and it has nothing to do with objectivity) is that it is a celtic faction in a place there were none. They disturb everything in Anatolia, making things interesting.

We can't say that from, let's say.. Belgians. I am a big fan of those since I am from that regions and have been educated to hear the famous Caesar's words about them. But They are a celtico-germanic faction where there are already a lot of celts arounds, and germanics, and they don't add anything new.

Galatians do that.

But again this is completely subjective since I understand that projecting my way of gaming, it is very playable (I never expand too much) but if I imagine Galatians in Anatolia, it is difficult to imagine those having control of the whole Anatolia, the type of government they would have etc.
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; May 05, 2018 at 06:59 AM.