Thread: Books / documentaries covering Thrones of Britannia Total War historical period?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Books / documentaries covering Thrones of Britannia Total War historical period?

Hi,

I admit I know almost anything about Normans, vikings and those civilizations in which Thrones of Britannia seems to be focused. I am interested in reading and watching documentaries covering this period of history. If someone has a suggestion I will appreciate your advice/comments.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Books / documentaries covering Thrones of Britannia Total War historical period?

You mean the period of the Viking invasions and the Danelaw? Do you just want Britain specifically or do you want like a history of Viking raids as a whole?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Default Re: Books / documentaries covering Thrones of Britannia Total War historical period?

The period of Alfred the Great but also I want to read about the Battle of Hastings (I know took place later) especifically Britain.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

idk if they're very historically accurate, but The Last Kingdom book series and TV show by Bernard Cornwell is ok and set exactly in the period you want.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Documentary wise it's hard to go past the Scottish historian Neil Oliver and his various TV presentations. There is literally an over abundance of English history - it's both a national hobby and obsession. Use wikipedia to track down historical sources for the TV series 'Vikings' and work forward or back from there. You could also trawl through the 'Name that Historical figure' thread in this forum looking for persons from the appropriate periods you're interested in, some of those entries have links. Plenty of other TWC entries also, like this one (scroll down for reference links).

^ Selected link from the above link; the BBC site British History timeline. Select a section/period, hover the mouse, click on a highlighted incident and get an overview that can be researched further elsewhere.

e.g: I found this on the BBC Timeline. Eric Bloodaxe
    Last edited by Spear Dog; April 30, 2018 at 08:50 PM.

Thank you for the information. If someone knows a good book I also would appreciate the advice.

Do you want literature on specific aspects or a general introduction? I haven't looked, but there's series like "a Cambridge companion to [the XXX age]" that are worth while reading for general stuff.

It is hard to pin down what you want - but the word your looking for is 'bibliography'. Google search 'bibliography of battle of hastings' (for example) had this list as top result. I realise English is not your first language, but don't know where you live or what your access is to good bookshops. Modern history's are better than the previous established classics such as, say, Steven Runciman's 'A History of the Crusades'. Understanding of the underlying social and economic background is now given as much weight as are the idealogical and political issues that once focussed such works (particularly, the Islamic point of view, Histories and historical sources are now considered just as important as any Christian sources in understanding those events and that period).

Commissar Caligula's suggestion has merit, find a good historical fiction book as a starting point and track down Histories relevant to that, then use an online site like Goodreads for reviews and recommendations. The Last Kingdom is a good a starting point as any.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; May 03, 2018 at 05:14 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Tom Holland's Millennium is alright, I read it a few years ago. Its a history of 900AD to about 1000AD and is mostly concerned with the Catholic Church in Europe and predictions of the world ending.
    It covered general history as well, but mostly centered around this "end of the world" theme. Here's the blurb.
    In AD 900, few would have guessed that the splintering kingdoms of Europe were candidates for future greatness. Hemmed in by implacable enemies and an ocean, there were many who feared that they were nearing the time when the Antichrist would appear, heralding the world's end.
    Instead there emerged a new civilisation. It was the age of Otto the Great and William the Conqueror, of Viking sea-kings, of hermits, monks and serfs. It witnessed the spread of castles, the invention of knighthood, and the founding of a papal monarchy. It was a momentous achievement: for this was nothing less than the founding of the modern West.

Thank you again for your suggestions and I am interested in Tom Holland's Millenium book. I started watching Vikings (2013) and I like the plot and landscapes but just a stupid question: suit the aspect of characters such as Ragnar Lodbrok with a real viking? This hair style look too modern for my taste. Anyway is a great TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    Thank you again for your suggestions and I am interested in Tom Holland's Millenium book. I started watching Vikings (2013) and I like the plot and landscapes but just a stupid question: suit the aspect of characters such as Ragnar Lodbrok with a real viking? This hair style look too modern for my taste. Anyway is a great TV show.
    Regarding the landscapes, do note that the series was filmed in BC, Canada. Denmark (where most of the historical and semi-mythological characters of the series are from) doesn't look anything like that. Norway is a much closer fit for the series' landscapes, but obviously not 100% identical.
    As for the hair styles, Norsemen were as fond of fashion as anyone, and there is evidence for them (well, the majority. Obviously there are slobs in any society) being well groomed and richly dressed whenever they could afford the time and money. I don't know if there's historical evidence for Ragnar's particular hair style, but IMO it is a nice nod to this issue.