Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: RTR8 4.0 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RTR8 4.0 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pierreloup71 View Post

After removing the set launch option of the platinum edition, now RTR is working fine!
    Problem Solved!
    That's good to know laddie, I'm sorry none of us got round to answering your question, ahowl11 our mod leader is just coming back from vacation and vrosivs who usually answers the queries is busy with exams, I don't use steam so was unable to give a reply, thanks for returning with the information. Just to let you know, the 4.0.2 patch will be released very soon, some fine tuning and additional tweaking holding us back atm
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; June 30, 2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

@Saul Tyre: Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to hear what the team has tweaked, for this version.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    @Saul Tyre: Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to hear what the team has tweaked, for this version.
    No worries, the tweaks are mainly minor bugfixes but take a long time to find, there are ones that are potential ctd's, like where rivers meet mountains, forests or the sea and the AI cannot stand on them or we get a ctd, there are a lot of rivers in this mod, there are also some new Arab unit's that needed balancing, white UI cards that needed fixed so the icon appears, map co-ordinates that need adjusted too, there is a mountain of stuff that has to be checked to make sure the mod runs smoothly, this is only some of it and the reason why we have a beta before it's finally finished

I want to personally apologize for the delay. About two weeks ago, I was set to upload and release.. I just wanted to test out a game. Sure enough, there was a CTD and we have yet to solve it. We have an expert on the case and we are inching closer to solving it. I so badly want to upload and release this, but I can't bear to see all of you going through CTD's. As soon as this one is fixed, we will be releasing. Also, for an FYI.. We will no longer have release dates from this point on. It built up so much pressure on us, and we ended up burning out and losing interest. I myself am just now starting to become interested again after almost 2 months off but yeah, from now on we will release as a surprise, so always be on the lookout!

I hope this is the right place to post about it. One of the worst things that i hate about mods is an overpowered unit, in this case the Thureophoroi cavalry. Even if it has( i think) the worst stats, just one unit can destroy 2 units of heavy cavalry...not to mention that barbarian factions recruit many units of this type of cavalry and they can wreak your army if you like to have a balanced one. It reminds me of Caesar Imperator mod, where the general unit was God himself and you needed 4 or 5 unit of heavy spearmen and calvary to kill him, not to mention that i avoided armies composed only from general units. This things takes the fun away.

We have noticed it as well, in Sauls Let’s Play. We will balance it out in the next patch, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hi,

Love the mod. Been playing it on and off since the beginning. The work you put in is amazing

So I have a new computer and tried the new RTR 8 version. Last time I played was RTR 7.

So I have a CTD. I narrowed it down to when I play on higher resolution than 1680x1050 and its not even mi native resolution. I wanna play 2560 x 1440 or higher if possible. I have a 27-inch screen backup. Also I tried playing on 38-inch ultrawide monitor but the graphics were really bad because of the low resolution I could play so now it kinda works on the 27-inch. Now the graphics look worst then on mi last computer. All other graphic settings are on highest except anti aliasing is off. Also I notice that on higher resolutions there is a small lag on the cursor speed. I disabled the on-board graphics card as some forums pointed to this problem. I have geforce gtx 1080ti. It usual have a CTD after 6 to 10 turns. And sometimes when the battles are loading. I tried looking for a solution all over the web but cant find anything useful. Any help is appreciated because now it seems I need to play with low resolution
    Hope someone can help.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi Guys,
    I really appreciate your efforts to make the game the best possible :-)
    Congratulations on the new release.
    I have some questions, partly due to the fact I've forgotten some details of the RTW engine.
    1. How do you assess the CAI behaviour? Does the stack spam occur (something that killed my experience in the IB-SAI - the problem is the RTW engine without the recruitment pool as it's in the M2TW; the problem is pronounced for the R2TW mods, see here an example)?
    2. Is the BAI suicidal as far as it's general is concerned? (again, I recall that charging generals on my pikes).
    3. What do you think about playing VH/H (yes, I know VH for battles breaks the experience, but I'd think VH for the campaign is ok?)
    4. Loyalty - could you recall me if your general would defect due to such an issue? Eg. I've had a look at the Greek Poleis faction - they span from Massilia to Pantikapaion, does it create defection problems (as it would with M2TW)?
    cheers
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 16, 2018 at 04:09 PM.

Some console commands are almost impossible to use cause of the weird name system in text/names. RTW is a buggy and at times annoying game, it helps out a lot to just move then damn characters by force. By its almost impossible to do that with the agents in this mod cause there are so many combinations of the weird code. I had more success with Russian mods in this.

Is it "dangerous" to change the names in names.txt ? Or to shorten their number? Why do I need ten Skylas?

Quote Originally Posted by kusicka View Post
    Hi,

Love the mod. Been playing it on and off since the beginning. The work you put in is amazing

So I have a new computer and tried the new RTR 8 version. Last time I played was RTR 7.

So I have a CTD. I narrowed it down to when I play on higher resolution than 1680x1050 and its not even mi native resolution. I wanna play 2560 x 1440 or higher if possible. I have a 27-inch screen backup. Also I tried playing on 38-inch ultrawide monitor but the graphics were really bad because of the low resolution I could play so now it kinda works on the 27-inch. Now the graphics look worst then on mi last computer. All other graphic settings are on highest except anti aliasing is off. Also I notice that on higher resolutions there is a small lag on the cursor speed. I disabled the on-board graphics card as some forums pointed to this problem. I have geforce gtx 1080ti. It usual have a CTD after 6 to 10 turns. And sometimes when the battles are loading. I tried looking for a solution all over the web but cant find anything useful. Any help is appreciated because now it seems I need to play with low resolution
    Hope someone can help.
    Try the new patch, it should iron out your issues. Not sure about resolution, but it should not cause CTD's

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I really appreciate your efforts to make the game the best possible :-)
    Congratulations on the new release.
    I have some questions, partly due to the fact I've forgotten some details of the RTW engine.
    1. How do you assess the CAI behaviour? Does the stack spam occur (something that killed my experience in the IB-SAI - the problem is the RTW engine without the recruitment pool as it's in the M2TW; the problem is pronounced for the R2TW mods, see here an example)?
    2. Is the BAI suicidal as far as it's general is concerned? (again, I recall that charging generals on my pikes).
    3. What do you think about playing VH/H (yes, I know VH for battles breaks the experience, but I'd think VH for the campaign is ok?)
    4. Loyalty - could you recall me if your general would defect due to such an issue? Eg. I've had a look at the Greek Poleis faction - they span from Massilia to Pantikapaion, does it create defection problems (as it would with M2TW)?
    cheers
    JoC
    Hey JoC, glad you are enjoying the mod.

1- Not a lot of stack spamming until the VERY LATE game, or Egypt. Right now we are discussing what we can do to nerf them, as once again (as in every mod) they are an unstoppable force!

2. No they aren't really suicidal.. We are experimenting with 'ReallyBadAI' mod and we have also given General units 'skirmish' ability, so that they stay behind enemy lines instead of commit suicide.

3. I am against VH as I don't believe you get a fair game diplomatically. On my campaigns with H/H my diplomacy has been pretty realistic and reasonable. On VH everyone just hates you.

4 - We have experimented with Loyalty off and on for years now, and right now we see nowhere that we could add it to make sense. The Greeks are a touch faction to play as and their makeup is under evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Some console commands are almost impossible to use cause of the weird name system in text/names. RTW is a buggy and at times annoying game, it helps out a lot to just move then damn characters by force. By its almost impossible to do that with the agents in this mod cause there are so many combinations of the weird code. I had more success with Russian mods in this.

Is it "dangerous" to change the names in names.txt ? Or to shorten their number? Why do I need ten Skylas?
    Hello,
    Where is it being buggy when you are having to use console commands? You're the first one to mention anything like this. Maybe there is another solution.
    Yes, in 2014-15 when Anarchon and I were alone making this mod from scratch (everything was vanilla) we realized that names are a common cause for CTD's in RTW mods. The game cannot handle multiple names, but in Antiquity there were many names that were extremely common. A number system replaced a name system for source code and it took us forever to finish. However, those files have been clean and we've never had any issues with them. Now we can have multiple Alexanders, Ptolemy's, Antiochus's etc

Hello again,
    after some time playing I have another bug to report and general opinion.

The bug:
    When you go into a fight on a connecting islands (bridges - as you called it for AI to consider expanding in some directions across sea), specifically connection between italy and balkans.
    This is the scenario: If you stand on the right "island" and you attack opponent and he has reinforcements behind him, and you go to battle manually, when reinforcements arrive on the map, when they appear, ~80% of them are instantly killed because of water and shape of the map in correlation with red square battling limits.
    I don't know about other "bridges" but here is always the same for me.
    I had CTD's but after 6,7 hours of playing but I think it's my pc not the game.

The opinion.
    So far I am enjoying so much, it is well balanced and huge map to explore.
    But.... This is now more a confession, and please don't take this as a negative comment it's just my opinion and also I am no expert for history so I didn't want to suggest to you anything.
    I am a little biased to the greeks and spartan units, mostly when I played the vanilla version when I discovered them.
    Anyways I was playing, everything is normal, and I developed my barracks to train spartan units. When I was reading description I was nodding my head "oh yeah, oh yeah, those romans will feel my wraith now".
    The only thing I noticed for spartan units to be different from some regular hoplites is the highly trained level, and higher morale... The price is almost the same, the training is only 1 turn, attack and defense is almost the same, and no phalanx formation?
    I said no no no.... I am not waiting for any more patches or fixes or next version.
    I needed to change this myself, but to some degree, so they are not OP, I ran few different settings type and found some sweet spot.
    I went to change stats in all descr_unit files. Few points more attack and defense, phalanx - yes, training turns and hitpoints to 3 (as in vanilla), price: 15000 talents, upkeep price and upgrade weapons price raised 50% (I don't remember what else, some minor changes to other stats)
    Now I am enjoying the game to the fullest. They are unkillable in phalanx formation (as I like it and want to think it was like that in history), only way you kill them is from behind with cavalry charge and less with infantry. It takes a while make talents to pay but it is worth it.
    Now I know some will disagree with me, but FOR ME and my play style and faction this is now perfect.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MyMumsCar View Post
    Hello again,
    after some time playing I have another bug to report and general opinion.

The bug:
    When you go into a fight on a connecting islands (bridges - as you called it for AI to consider expanding in some directions across sea), specifically connection between italy and balkans.
    This is the scenario: If you stand on the right "island" and you attack opponent and he has reinforcements behind him, and you go to battle manually, when reinforcements arrive on the map, when they appear, ~80% of them are instantly killed because of water and shape of the map in correlation with red square battling limits.
    I don't know about other "bridges" but here is always the same for me.
    I had CTD's but after 6,7 hours of playing but I think it's my pc not the game.

The opinion.
    So far I am enjoying so much, it is well balanced and huge map to explore.
    But.... This is now more a confession, and please don't take this as a negative comment it's just my opinion and also I am no expert for history so I didn't want to suggest to you anything.
    I am a little biased to the greeks and spartan units, mostly when I played the vanilla version when I discovered them.
    Anyways I was playing, everything is normal, and I developed my barracks to train spartan units. When I was reading description I was nodding my head "oh yeah, oh yeah, those romans will feel my wraith now".
    The only thing I noticed for spartan units to be different from some regular hoplites is the highly trained level, and higher morale... The price is almost the same, the training is only 1 turn, attack and defense is almost the same, and no phalanx formation?
    I said no no no.... I am not waiting for any more patches or fixes or next version.
    I needed to change this myself, but to some degree, so they are not OP, I ran few different settings type and found some sweet spot.
    I went to change stats in all descr_unit files. Few points more attack and defense, phalanx - yes, training turns and hitpoints to 3 (as in vanilla), price: 15000 talents, upkeep price and upgrade weapons price raised 50% (I don't remember what else, some minor changes to other stats)
    Now I am enjoying the game to the fullest. They are unkillable in phalanx formation (as I like it and want to think it was like that in history), only way you kill them is from behind with cavalry charge and less with infantry. It takes a while make talents to pay but it is worth it.
    Now I know some will disagree with me, but FOR ME and my play style and faction this is now perfect.

Thank you.
    Good to see you again!

As for the bug, avoid battles that are near land bridges, it’ll cause problems every time.

What you did for your satisfaction is perfectly fine, but Spartan hoplites were not the renowned super unit like vanilla made them out to be, instead they were just highly trained Spartan nobles fighting in the ancient hoplite fashion. In 50 years game time, hoplites would have been far and few between. So don’t expect us to ever include those changes you made in our mod, but I’m glad it’s made the experience better for you!

I'm trying out RTR for the first time, and so far the mod is amazing! the map is BIG and there's a lot of new content, but man, only 2 turns per year? I feel that extending the campaign to 4 turns per year would really improve it but I can't figure how to do make that change, I tried http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Rt...tGenerator.rar but it didn't work, wondering if you guys could lend me a hand with this

Quote Originally Posted by Rendaus View Post
    I'm trying out RTR for the first time, and so far the mod is amazing! the map is BIG and there's a lot of new content, but man, only 2 turns per year? I feel that extending the campaign to 4 turns per year would really improve it but I can't figure how to do make that change, I tried http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Rt...tGenerator.rar but it didn't work, wondering if you guys could lend me a hand with this
    Hey thanks for posting and I’m glad you like our mod!

As for 4tpy, we tested the majority of the time using it and what we got was very unrealistic results. Factions expand at a rate based on turns not years, so adding two months (turns) to a year doesn’t slow the game down or make it realistic like one would think. Looking at ai expansion, we were seeing Macedon have all of the balkans by 260-250 BC, post Marian reforms happening around 250-240 BC and factions being eliminated before 230BC.. to us that didn’t make a whole lot of sense and it made the game less immersive!
    Basically we came to the conclusion that 4tpy is not a good thing and it doesn’t make the mod any better by having it. I hope you and others can see that it’s not that great of a feature and only makes the historical timeline of the game super weird.

If you don’t care at all about what I just said, there’s tutorials somewhere.. just google 4 turns per year for Rome Total War and it should give you a few links!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

There're two additional issues:

1) the pace at which the characters (generals, agents) gain traits. The probabilities of gaining those traits are calibrated with a view of "how many turns is an average character in play". The aim is to make "leveling up" traits reasonable in time: they should get the higher and highest levels of a trait only after some time, and they should not get all of the traits. If you double the turns without re-calibrating the probabilities you'll get super-heroes, not historical generals: they will get the highest levels in their 20ties and then they'll get tons of other traits, also getting the highest levels within their life-span.
    You may like it, but I feel it wouldn't feel historical.
    (and re-calibration is rather laborious in the RTW/M2TW modding, especially for such an advanced mod)

2) how the players feel staying the whole campaign with the same generals. With 2TPY the change happens and the aging is palpable. You've got a young general with a bright future, but after 20 turns he's not so young anymore. With 4TPY is slows down much. Depending on how many turns the people play, you may stay only with 1-2 generations of generals, or you may see 5-6 (this is the number I usually get in my games, I tend to get bored with the games after 150-200 turns).
    However, some people may like staying with the same generals, so it's a matter of taste.

JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Have a problem here. I have a high-end gaming rig ($4000+) with dual GTX 970 SLi, 32GB of RAM and an Intel 6-core with 3.2GHz. Using Windows 10 Pro.

I bought Rome: Total War Gold Edition (yes, I checked, it is Gold Ed) on Steam together with Alexander. Installed both. Downloaded 4.02 RTR. Installed per instruction. Launched successfully. In the game I put max-settings and launched the main campaign as Romans...then it ALWAYS crashes (not just for Romans as I tested) to the desktop when the loading bar reaches around 95 percent. I get this error: insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

The only way how to get rid of that is put the game to the lowest possible settings and even THEN it still crashes when it wants to load a battle map.

I do not think that I lack the hardware power to play this game so something else is at play here.

The only thing that I can think of is that a preferences file isn’t being generated? Try playing a vanilla game, same issue? That error usually isn’t associated with a mod but the base game.

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    The only thing that I can think of is that a preferences file isn’t being generated? Try playing a vanilla game, same issue? That error usually isn’t associated with a mod but the base game.
    Nope. Vanilla works without problems.

I would suggest this is certainly not a hardware problem, did you delete map.rwm and/or uncheck unnecessary boxes in the launcher? have you tried reinstalling the mod?. Windows also has a habit of interfering with files on download and sometimes "hides" them(I have Win 7pro) as a precaution for this happening I have taken control of my UAC/Virtual control, whether this works the same with Win 10 I don't know but here is the link > http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Store-Problems (tutorial says M2TW but works the same with RTW) I've also added a 4gb file to every mods exe's, link >https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/ I am not necessarily saying any of this will work for you but I'm stumped for any other ideas, I'm just pulling anything out of the hat to try to help you.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 18, 2018 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    I would suggest this is certainly not a hardware problem, did you delete map.rwm and/or uncheck unnecessary boxes in the launcher? have you tried reinstalling the mod?. Windows also has a habit of interfering with files on download and sometimes "hides" them(I have Win 7pro) as a precaution for this happening I have taken control of my UAC/Virtual control, whether this works the same with Win 10 I don't know but here is the link > http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Store-Problems (tutorial says M2TW but works the same with RTW) I've also added a 4gb file to every mods exe's, link >https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/ I am not necessarily saying any of this will work for you but I'm stumped for any other ideas, I'm just pulling anything out of the hat to try to help you.
    Doesn't work. Tried everything you outlined. FOllowed the manual. Increased the Memory but when I looked into UAC/VC I found the mod's .exe had everything already permitted.