Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: RTR8 4.0 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Default Re: RTR8 4.0 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Saul, he’s talking about when you hit escape and the scroll comes up that allows you to save or load. Those are greyed out.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi Guys,
    first of all - congratulations! This mod seems to resurrect the RTW, at least for me.
    I've got two questions, after opening the game with Illyria
    - the Peasants costing 60000 are in the roster for a mechanics reason, I suppose. I'm just curious what's the reason?
    - do you happen to have a list of the units in-game in the form of a spreadsheet file? Maybe you could make (part of) it available to the public - I like to play with another computer with some data on my campaign or the units.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Thanks for the feedback!
    The peasants are there for one reason only, and that is to prevent an ugly revolt CTD that occurs in RTW when there are no units available in a region for a faction or rebels during a revolt. The peasants ensure that a crash won't happen, and it's immersive enough to see peasants uprising.

As for your request, we don't currently have anything at the moment as our unit roster still has yet to be finished, and our stats aren't finalized either. However as we near finalization of this mod, we can surely create one.

I will talk to our team about possibly making one now, just for reference!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

To show you what do I mean - part of the file I've got for the SSHIP

Another question: what is the recommended size for the units? (Large or Huge)?
    On the difficulty: H/H, right? What about VH/H for a seasoned player?

I play on huge, but some play on Large. Either or works.
    I recommend H/H as it's as good as you will get. VH, the AI will just go nuts on you and to be honest we have not really tested on VH as we believe it's extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Try H/H first and if that's not enough you can bump it up. The mod was balanced for Hard campaign difficulty and even Saul Tyre, who is doing a Let's Play of this mod decided it was difficult enough on H/H. He does his other Let's Plays on VH so he's definitely not a bad player. It depends on the faction as well. With some of the easier factions I would not hesitate personally to use VH but maybe that's just because I know the mod's mechanics inside-out.

Hi Guys,
    first of all - congratulations! This mod seems to resurrect the RTW, at least for me.
    I've got two questions, after opening the game with Illyria
    - the Peasants costing 60000 are in the roster for a mechanics reason, I suppose. I'm just curious what's the reason?
    - do you happen to have a list of the units in-game in the form of a spreadsheet file? Maybe you could make (part of) it available to the public - I like to play with another computer with some data on my campaign or the units.
    cheers
    JoC
    This probably looks very strange to you considering there's no revolt CTD in M2TW. In RTW, every faction has to have a unit recruitable in every settlement to prevent issues from arising. Some mods take care of this by having the weakest unit of a faction, or a regional levy unit recruitable at all times. We didn't want any units recruitable immediately upon conquering a settlement so we went the route of having an extremely expensive revolt unit. Don't worry about seeing it too often, there's another file that governs the units that appear for the rebels (independent people) on revolt. Peasants will only appear in loyalist revolt, meaning the revolts from one faction to another.
    Last edited by BHL 20; May 09, 2018 at 02:55 AM.

Peasants are there to combat squalor , so why not make them cost like a minor migration so we can use it to settle lands and like.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Playing with huge units I find exacerbates pathfinding issues with cavalry and phalanx, especially in settlements, can affect your population and economy balance, adds too much real time to battles when playing on vh battle difficulty, but mainly because they do not suit my gameplay, I don't like an overcrowded battlefield, add to that my computer isn't top end so also to avoid lag.

Playing on VH is not impossible depending on faction choice as bhl 20 alludes to but as he say's he does have an advantage. I have tried vh whilst testing and the AI does get extreme, I found hard difficulty provided an adequate challenge. If you want to play vh battle then that is another ball game, the AI is really difficult to break down and battles can often last as long as on RS especially once you reach the middle game, some AI Generals have 3 hitpoints from start btw and when you add vh bonuses on top of silver xp and upgrades to weapons. shields and armour you're in deep...but it's each to their own and it's all good fun, give it try
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; May 21, 2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: info correction
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Ognjen Todorović View Post
    Peasants are there to combat squalor , so why not make them cost like a minor migration so we can use it to settle lands and like.
    Squalor really isn’t a big issue at all in RTR as population growth doesn’t ever sky rocket. Also if peasants are recruitable, the AI will always manage to spam them, we’ve tested.
    The population movement is something we can look into.

I'm getting some sort of CTD related to the germanic tribe in my game, 2 different save files attached (one was earlier in the campaign that I managed to get around by using an earlier save) it'll crash the moment you end your turn.

some background info: Fresh install of RTW and RTW alexander (installed into alexander) 4.0 with the 4.0.1 patch, campaign mode, default trees, RTR main campaign, map.rwm is fine, windowed mode, H/H and huge squads.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7mbli4.../crashsave.sav
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmtz62...crashsave2.sav

More than likely it’s a bug that’s been happening with other players as well. The terrain around Tylis is pretty messed up and when the Galatians and Thracians fight an army retreats but has nowhere to go, and it causes the CTD. This seems to be fixed and the patch will be released shortly. This doesn’t happen in every campaign, but it seems to happen oftem enough.

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

I'm getting CTD without any error messages mostly on turn phase. Is there anything that I can do about this problem?

Feedback: After I finished Carthage in Sicilia I decided to take Syracuse to complete the conquest of Sicilia. Full stack army appeared in Syracuse (by event I believe) where there was only Hiero inside. I didn't know that, so I screwed by losing my army and Sicilia to Hiero. That stack was in Lilybaeum when my new army ready to take Syracuse. Again, there was only Hiero in Syracuse when I besiege it. After a turn it bacame a full stack again, and I checked that the first stack is still in Lilybaeum. So, I screwed once again by thinking the siege event won't be happen second time after only few turns. Well in the end I'm not unprepared this time and my army can beat these stacks separately.

Edit1: I took all cities but Lilybaeum without substantial losses and besiege the Lilybaeum where the first stack of Greeks sit idle. After two turns an earthquake hit my full stack army while didn't touch the Greek army in the besieged city. 99% percent of my units and two generals are now dead. Sicily is totally defenceless again.

Edit2: A weird bug happened: After a battle all clickable UI became black in campaign map. I pressed Ctrl+S to quick save then restart the game.
    Last edited by CanOmer; May 21, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

There should be a cooldown of 10 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    I'm getting CTD without any error messages mostly on turn phase. Is there anything that I can do about this problem?

Feedback: After I finished Carthage in Sicilia I decided to take Syracuse to complete the conquest of Sicilia. Full stack army appeared in Syracuse (by event I believe) where there was only Hiero inside. I didn't know that, so I screwed by losing my army and Sicilia to Hiero. That stack was in Lilybaeum when my new army ready to take Syracuse. Again, there was only Hiero in Syracuse when I besiege it. After a turn it bacame a full stack again, and I checked that the first stack is still in Lilybaeum. So, I screwed once again by thinking the siege event won't be happen second time after only few turns. Well in the end I'm not unprepared this time and my army can beat these stacks separately.

Edit1: I took all cities but Lilybaeum without substantial losses and besiege the Lilybaeum where the first stack of Greeks sit idle. After two turns an earthquake hit my full stack army while didn't touch the Greek army in the besieged city. 99% percent of my units and two generals are now dead. Sicily is totally defenceless again.

Edit2: A weird bug happened: After a battle all clickable UI became black in campaign map. I pressed Ctrl+S to quick save then restart the game.
    The CTD is fixed and will be featured in the next patch, set to release very soon!

That weird bug has only occurred with one of our beta testers so far, and we still have not found a solution. Luckily it is not game breaking so saving and restarting should do the trick.

The garrison script only occurs with a select few settlements, but yes they are hard to beat. We know that this game is old, and most veteran RTW players know all the tricks and can make this game very easy and eventually boring. So we added a few wrinkles in just to challenge you all a bit!

I have played with spqr on h / h. First conclusions: 1. Something must be done with the Egyptian yellow monster. They expand too quickly and destroy the variety of the game. 2. The Roman infantry is too weak, including legions cohorts.3.Instead, the cavalry is too strong and no battle can be won without a large cavalry.In connection with this after the Marian reforms the Romans can not recruit the cavalry from Civitas Romana!
    The game is well structured and I think with a few adjustments it will be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Marcius Rex View Post
    I have played with spqr on h / h. First conclusions: 1. Something must be done with the Egyptian yellow monster. They expand too quickly and destroy the variety of the game. 2. The Roman infantry is too weak, including legions cohorts.3.Instead, the cavalry is too strong and no battle can be won without a large cavalry.In connection with this after the Marian reforms the Romans can not recruit the cavalry from Civitas Romana!
    The game is well structured and I think with a few adjustments it will be very good.
    Thank you for your feedback!
    1) We did extensive testing with AI expansion before we released, and Egypt can be powerful in the campaign from time to time, HOWEVER they are not like they are in vanilla where every campaign they dominate. We saw many times, where the Seleucids overpowered them and took Egypt. We have also seen Macedon dominate the map. We have even seen Memphis and Thebes rebel, and get taken over by the Nabataeans. Basically, unlike vanilla, no campaign should be the same in RTR8.

2) Unit stats are not finished, in fact they are probably lacking the most as far being a finalized product. We wanted to get all the units in first before we standardized stats. By the end of the summer, our stats should be finished. Cavalry will play an important role, regardless, even if it's in a supporting role.

3) When the Marian Reforms occur, look outside of Italy to recruit cavalry. I need to double check but I am pretty sure there is a local cavalry unit or two in each major foreign region, like Gallic Noble Cavalry, Numidian Cavalry, Greek Cavalry, Iberian Cavalry etc

We really appreciate your feedback, glad you are enjoying our mod!

How do you Disable Autosave? Is it an option or do you have to modify any files?

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    How do you Disable Autosave? Is it an option or do you have to modify any files?
    Open preferences on the launcher interface and check the box for disable autosave
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

More of a feedback than bug report, Saka has barbarian temples and gods. Can you distinguish them in terms of religion and some steppe deities instead of germanic ones?
    Hello. Today we are gathered here to do battle. Regretable, isn't it? but sometimes, you know, life is like that. You have to do something that you don't want to do, just because someone is telling you to do it. I didn't want to be here myself, but then my mother told me that I'd better make a reasonable show of it all, so here we go then...
    Today we fight against monsters - the Gauls! They are dangerous, mad and hairy beyond reason. In victory, they are always heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosphoran View Post
    More of a feedback than bug report, Saka has barbarian temples and gods. Can you distinguish them in terms of religion and some steppe deities instead of germanic ones?
    Funny you mention that, I am actually beginning to overhaul the entire temple structure very soon. Every faction will get more accurate temples as well as special temples and landmarks