Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: RTR8 4.0 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Default Re: RTR8 4.0 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    @The Despondent Mind...iirc a landbridge was originally put further North to encourage the AI(Romans) to advance East sooner than they normally do, but they would attack Illyria and destroy them early, putting the landbridge where it is now deflects that and gives them a chance. The ctd at Ariminum could possibly be a terrain/vegetation bug on one of the tiles around the settlement, we found and fixed many of them and this maybe one that was missed. I did mucho testing of this mod and I did not have any problems with the Romans that I remember, you have obviously been unlucky as it takes certain circumstances for these bugs to show up and took us a long time to discover others similar. There is also the possibility it could be the "camera bug" that is known to happen from time to time with the ALX.exe(again under certain circumstances but usually on the battlefield) Thanks for your feedback I will test it myself later and get back to you

Update: I have tested your scenario, I besieged Ariminum on the 4th turn from the West replaying and besieging from the South and was attacked by the army outside each time and all was well, so it would appear it's not the mod

Update 2: As an afterthought I tested again this time as the Gauls and attacked from the North and I still found nothing, all was fine.
    Its weird, I also haven't had a single CTD, except that specific one. I think it has something to do with the camera too, cause the CTD won't happen unless I turn my camera towards the rebel army.

Foxcon's Avatar Foederatus

In export_descr_character_traits a trigger occurs more than once. This is critical as it would CTD without warning
    "Trigger corruption8"
    in line 15659 & 15674
    Last edited by Foxcon; January 18, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
    Quod si non est ita quis me potest arguere esse mentitum et ponere ante Deum verba mea?

Hey folks,

First off, I have to say: wonderful mod. Thanks so much for putting all the effort into this mod and making it so enjoyable. I've played several factions so far and am deeply impressed with the units, flow, and depth of detail associated with the games.

I do have to ask though, why are stacks of rebels constantly throwing themselves at me when I play as Bactria, Nabatea, and the Celtiberian Tribes? I've had a hell of a time getting started, in Bactria especially, when a half stack of mid-tier indian troops with a unit of war elephants assaults my city within the first five turns.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Zachtheebomb View Post
    Hey folks,

First off, I have to say: wonderful mod. Thanks so much for putting all the effort into this mod and making it so enjoyable. I've played several factions so far and am deeply impressed with the units, flow, and depth of detail associated with the games.

I do have to ask though, why are stacks of rebels constantly throwing themselves at me when I play as Bactria, Nabatea, and the Celtiberian Tribes? I've had a hell of a time getting started, in Bactria especially, when a half stack of mid-tier indian troops with a unit of war elephants assaults my city within the first five turns.
    Thanks for your compliment, ahowl 11 the Project leader(whose baby this is) and the group spent many many months hard work putting this mod together plus countless hours of discussion and debate to get this as real as possible, myself and others spent days & nights testing to iron out any problems and between us all we pretty much managed it, so it pleases us enormously when we receive positive feedback like yours.There are still a few little artifacts still to be attended to, they don't affect gameplay and I guess ahowl 11 will perhaps get round to them one day.
    We made the Rebels in RTR8 very powerful and aggressive, they are not the same weak pussies you find in vanilla they can recruit, merge forces, they will move around and they WILL attack you ..... as you have found out

EDIT: if you want to know more about the mod try this link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...aily-Countdown! here you will also find a Faction list and an overview of what you can expect from each one, player or AI.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; January 30, 2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Hey! It's me again. I've finally gotten used to the endless hordes of indian infantry and have conquered half of the map as the Saka. I've run into an interesting error, however, in my conquest of all of Asia. Armenia has reached my territory lines and has besieged the city of Artacoana, which I own. When I right click the general to sally my troops, however, the cursor disappears and the hourglass takes it place and just stays there, spinning in place. The battle doesn't initiate and I can't use the cursor for anything, due to it now being a partially spinning hour glass. Thankfully, the issue ONLY took place upon sallying out of Artacoana (sp?). I sent troops from merv to attack the troops that were attacking the city and the hourglass didn't appear, as it did earlier. Wondering if you'd heard or seen of anything like this!

Okay, one more thing for you guys - All of the sudden giant patches of the map have seemed to disappear or form tent-like structures. Half of every human figure on the map has disappeared, along with their banners. This happened randomly on my Saka campaign and I had to terminate it. It happens in a few of the other factions as well, upon testing them. Any reason this might be occurring? I ran the Saka campaign for a really long time without any problems! Thanks, guys - this mod has been splendid and I really appreciate all the work and effort you put into it.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Zachtheebomb
    Hi! Thank you very much for a kind review.
    Could you please upload a savegame and describe more precisely how to reproduce the error? It seems like a very interesting and rare problem indeed.
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Quote Originally Posted by Zachtheebomb View Post
    Okay, one more thing for you guys - All of the sudden giant patches of the map have seemed to disappear or form tent-like structures. Half of every human figure on the map has disappeared, along with their banners. This happened randomly on my Saka campaign and I had to terminate it. It happens in a few of the other factions as well, upon testing them. Any reason this might be occurring? I ran the Saka campaign for a really long time without any problems! Thanks, guys - this mod has been splendid and I really appreciate all the work and effort you put into it.
    This sounds very much like the camera glitch that sometimes affects the ALX engine, you could try uninstalling/reinstalling everything and starting again, but first take your savegame out and put it another folder somewhere then put it back in when done to see how it works out. I've had 100's of hours testing/playing this mod and never experienced this issue, though a couple of years back I had a similar issue playing Roma Surrectum 3.1 on the ALX .exe and I'm pretty sure this how I fixed it. The only other thing I can think of is you have missed reactivating the script at some point and it has become corrupted, campaign lost I'm afraid.

I am playing 4.0.2 with the fixes as Rome. Just started. I noticed that my units are only a couple of men strong. Most cavalry units only have 5-7 men and the infantry are 15-22 men. Is that normal? The pictures I've seen show units that are 100's of men strong. Doesn't seem right that it costs 1450 dinar to recruit 15 men.Is this a bug? Is there a way to change unit size? I did not see anything in the launcher for those options.

Quote Originally Posted by gdpsnake View Post
    I am playing 4.0.2 with the fixes as Rome. Just started. I noticed that my units are only a couple of men strong. Most cavalry units only have 5-7 men and the infantry are 15-22 men. Is that normal? The pictures I've seen show units that are 100's of men strong. Doesn't seem right that it costs 1450 dinar to recruit 15 men.Is this a bug? Is there a way to change unit size? I did not see anything in the launcher for those options.
    To normally change unit sizes go into your directory/RTR/preferences/open preferences scroll down to unit size and alter 20=small 40=normal 80=large 160=huge, you can custom set them to what you like to suit what your processor handles best, I have mine set at 120...If this does not work try deleting map.rwm on the launcher interface for now and I will ask someone from the team to answer your question
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 21, 2019 at 01:55 AM. Reason: typo

Saul,Thank you for the quick reply. Very awesome.I had actually looked at the preferences script before asking the question. I thought the '20' meant the number of maximum units allowed in a battle not 'size' of units. I shall certainly play with that number to see what works best for me.My only thought is: wouldn't it be a nice feature if you could incorporate that option in the preferences selection on the launcher; i.e. select unit size the player prefers and the launcher resets the script. I don't usually like to 'tinker' in the program guts myself because I know just enough to really screw it up. Like I said, I wasn't sure what the '20' meant.Can you give me an idea what 'size' the units built in game terms are intended to be? Is a recruited Hastati unit, for example, 1 cohort? or 1 century? or 1/3 of a legion (i.e. a legion in this game represented by 1 hastate, 1 principe and 1 triari?) I would like to be close to what the designers intended. I did some research - didn't know a 'century' was 80 men and not a hundred for example.

You CAN change unit sizes in the launcher, when you enter and reach the 1st splash-screen click on "Options" then check the box next to "video options" and choose small/normal/large/huge in the unit size drop-down menu, you can also make other changes to how your game looks and plays here too. As for unit size in game terms are concerned I suggest you click on this link https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...ate-unit-sizes it may help you understand better than I can explain.

Saul,Awesome again. I would not have thought to look under video options for a game option. After reading that long thread on unit sizes, I'll pass and just have fun with the way the game mechanics are 'balanced' for play and not always historically accurate. I like your Scottish statement, LOL. I'm actually descended from the Chalmers (Mother's side so I can't wear the colors) of the Cameron Clan near the Sterling Castle area. Thanks for the quick posting.

Saul,Awesome again. I would not have thought to look under video options for a game option. After reading that long thread on unit sizes, I'll pass and just have fun with the way the game mechanics are 'balanced' for play and not always historically accurate. I like your Scottish statement, LOL. I'm actually descended from the Chalmers (Mother's side so I can't wear the colors) of the Cameron Clan near the Sterling Castle area. Thanks for the quick posting.
    Nae bother laddie,you're welcome also that's what it's about, having fun. Aye the statement is just me poking a wee bit of fun at some of my English friends on TWC, I've actually lived in England longer than I did in Scotland but never forget my roots and upbringing, oh and btw it's Stirling not Sterling...be sure to check out my youtube channel and you will hear I still have my Scottish accent, the link is below in my signature, just left click on it.

So I have a problem now. Every time I play a battle I get the minimal UI option. This is what I've tried: I deselected the minimal UI feature in the launcher, save settings and play. Still there. I select default settings, say yes, check the autosave box, save settings and play. Still there. In fact, no matter what I do in the launcher window, every time I start the launcher that damn minimal UI button is checked. I can't get rid of it. I'm guessing the preferences file is corrupted? Can I delete it? Does it get repopulated when I start a new game? How can I permanently eliminate the minimal UI option from getting checked every time I start a game? What do you suggest? What part of the preference file has that option and should it be true or false or what? How do I fix that preference? I lived in England for over 6 years while I served in the Air Force, only visited Scotland once for a few days. My Dad was actually English from way long ago so my DNA is obviously corrupted....LOL!

@gdpsnake okay slow down "Top Gun" ...go into directory/RTR/preferences again and find Minimal_UI and change true to false. This is how my my launcher preferences look.(left click on pic to enlarge) My mother is English and my father Scottish, ironically they met while serving in the RAF/WRAF although neither were pilots or air crew. Where do you live now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 1.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	753.6 KB 
ID:	357408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured 2.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	357410

This time the preferences looked orderly and UI was easy to find and change. Before it looked like one long alpha string you couldn't hardly read. Very strange. LOL, I actually was a top gun. Number one in my class. I'm retired now and live in Central Texas on a few acres near Killeen. So I'll fire it up and give it another try and let you know. HA! Your DNA is corrupted too; I'll bet Monty Python silliness flows through you....beware the rabbit....

Better, the minimal UI seems to be fixed but I still get a large red informational box on unit stats whenever I hover over a unit on the battlefield. How do you turn that off?

Better, the minimal UI seems to be fixed but I still get a large red informational box on unit stats whenever I hover over a unit on the battlefield. How do you turn that off?
    The box is permanent I'm afraid, it informs you of the confidence and fatigue of each unit as these are important factors during battles, especially in this mod. True about my DNA lol, I'm retired too btw and aye I'm a big fan of Monty Python

Saul, thanks for getting back to my other posts. The issues don't seem to occur nearly as often so long as I make sure I hit the "toggle advisor" button to start the script, as soon as I load the game. A couple thoughts/things I have some questions about:

1. This doesn't happen often, but occasionally I'll send a large army to wage war against another large army and when the battle begins the opposing forces will arrange themselves in a VERY peculiar formation and not attack. One time this occurred when I was playing as Nabatea against egypt and the egyptions got into like clusters of 3-4 units and were seperated by large distances (between each cluster). Ultimately, I obliterated them because the groups of units wouldn't attack unless they took a cavalry charge, but by then, I'd already overwhlemed them. I almost felt guilty taking the victory!

2. Sometimes the strat map will randomly lag, as if I don't have LAA installed and operating with my executable. This is very rare, and happens maybe 1/25-30 times I play

3. I play my campaigns on hard and sometimes, even when I get my faction really powerful, I'll notice that large armies of neighboring factions just stand around settlements, and don't attack me, rebels, or other settlements.

Just wanted to point these things out, and as I've said many times before, this is a truly wonderful mod. I personally love playing with pike-heavy factions for I love the strategic, slow battles that comes with these types of units. I've played through almost every faction - I personally enjoyed Nabatae, Armenia, Germania, and the Saka the most! I found the celtiberian tribes, bactrian tribes, and pontus to be the most difficult.

Cheers!