Thread: Keyboard Questions

Default Keyboard Questions

My friends changed their keyboard for gaming and I very impress with their new keyboards. Their keyboards have lights with different colors and it really caught my attention. I'm not a jealous but I want to have a keyboard like that too. I am thinking of buying a DBPower keyboard but I want to know if it will affect my PC performance. Here are my questions.
    1. Will it slow down my computer process? Seeing the glowy lights makes me think that it will take too much power source that can slow down any process.
    2. How about energy consumption?
    3. Do you think it will increase my PC temperature?

I hope somebody can help me with this questions. Thanks

Default Re: Keyboard Questions

1. Not noticeably. The drivers that regulate the lighting on some keyboards are very simple, unless your PC is significantly bottlenecked at CPU, it should not be noticeable at all.
    2. It draws power from USB port. The LEDs aren't power hungry, it's no more power consuming than any other USB gadget. It you can plug in USB stick and work with it without shutting down your PC, it'll work.
    3. Not noticeably.

The LED backlighting of keyboards is really simple and not power demanding, even my tablet/laptop hybrid I use when travelling has a simple one.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

A keyboard will not affect the performance of your computer in any way. I recommend going to a store and testing different ones out to find the one that you find most comfortable. I have a Q-pad MK 85 myself, and absolutely adore it
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

It's more of a question of mechanical keyboard vs regular keyboard when your planning on buying a new keyboard. Also the consideration of budget plays a role in what to buy. I am using the corsair vengeance K95 it is a good keyboard the only downside is the backlights die easily.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

If you're getting a new keyboard, the only thing I'd suggest is try looking for one which allows you to very easily swap WASD with the arrow keys, for Medieval 2, Crusader Kings 2 or those kinda games where WASD don't control camera movement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    If you're getting a new keyboard, the only thing I'd suggest is try looking for one which allows you to very easily swap WASD with the arrow keys, for Medieval 2, Crusader Kings 2 or those kinda games where WASD don't control camera movement.
    That's easily done in the game settings
    and Peaman

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I've never managed to get it done properly, or with stuff like AutoHotKey.

Thanks everyone for all your inputs and feedback. I really appreciate it. If that is the case then I'll try to get one when I get paid for my job this month. I can't wait to have it. I am hoping there's no issues with the one that I will buy. I hope I can test every keys if the LED lights are working fine? Maybe for 30 minutes, can they allow that? just don't want to waste time going back to the store for replacement. Another thing, the store is not really near our hometown. Good luck to me.

Blog Entries

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

And @Caligula, should be simple enough
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and Peaman