Thread: Anyone had better luck using Javelin Cavalry?

Default Anyone had better luck using Javelin Cavalry?

I feel like this is the truly difficult unit type to properly use, even more so than horse archers.

This may not be a problem for factions in which javelin cavalry is mostly used in a minor role of distraction or weakening enemy units but for factions which javelin cavalry make a great number of their roster like the Numidians and on a lesser note the Iberian, Celtic or Germanic/Baltic factions, their relative weakness and difficulty is highlighted.

The biggest problem is their need to get close to the enemy for their missiles to do any damage. It takes a alot of practice and micro to actually make sure that they are properly within range and to effectively time when to retreat and when to attack again. Especially since if they are still in their attack animation of hurling their javelins, they may not be able to escape quickly and they will get caught in melee against enemy cavalry.

And when they actually try to deal damage, it's very unreliable. Sometimes, they are able to instantly cause heavy losses against light cavalry or significantly weaken heavy cavalry. Sometimes, they tend to miss even at close range or/and the enemy retreats to quickly for them to fire. The fact the AI loves to send even their skirmisher cavalry in melee doesn't help.

The fact that the Numidians and the Iberian factions have to try and fight against a military powerhouse like Carthage is difficult when you only have useless javelin cavalry at your disposal while Carthage has light, medium and heavy cavalry at their command.
    Last edited by Tactics Mayers; April 26, 2018 at 04:02 AM.

Default Re: Anyone had better luck using Javelin Cavalry?

During my Numidian campaign, my strategy was to keep the main line of infantry in reserve (sometimes quite far) and send the Numidian Cavalry one unit at a time to harass the enemy. This way you can really focus on micro and maximize the damage done. The most important thing to actually make victims is to get behind the enemy unit. By the time the two lines of infantry make contact, the cavalry has used all its javelins and I'm free to use it to neutralize enemy skirmishers or to take down enemy cavalry.

The result is even better with Iberian cavalry whose javelins are deadly (but limited in number IIRC). Usually, I try to focus on units without precursor javelins to avoid counter-fire from the enemy. Also, try to be always on the move, getting close and then pulling back, to force the enemy units to run and disturb their formation and thus preventing them from firing.

Of course, this strategy works better against an enemy such as Carthage with less mobility than against another Iberian or Numidian army.
    Last edited by Assurancetourix; April 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Admittedly I don't know how I'd make a primarily javelin-cav army work, but I find them to be absolutely superb in a non-shock cavalry role. Fast enough to evade entanglements, excellent flanking ability, perfect for mopping up routing foes. I try to have at least 2-3 units in most of my stacks when playing as any of the major Mediterranean powers.

Javelin cavalry shine when you treat them like semi-fragile predators - let them hunt down fleeing enemies or slam them into a formation's relatively defenseless rear (after throwing javelins into that same formation's soft, shield-less backs) and they will kill or capture enemies in their hundreds. So I suppose you'd have to rely on micro to pull off a large amount of encirclements to get the most out of a javelin cav-heavy army, and even then you'd need a main line of infantry to tie the enemy down for at least a little bit.

For me the answer is very simple. They're one of the most cost-effective and fastest ways to surround and rout units. Surrounding matters more than stats or fighting ability imo (at least when it comes to cavalry). Also, as long as you have a decent general, they'll get more than enough kills in the actual melee during the charge.

I also use those for fast and precise surrounding.

They are also useful when using the "fire at will" ability instead of trying to click on the enemy units where more often than not the cav go to melee combat due to the reaction time delays etc.

Just go near an enemy unit with that ability enabled and it will do it's job but you always have to micromanage them because of that.

The main issue IMO with javelin cav is that they miss a lot, mostly because they are always moving, or their target is moving, or both. When two units of light cavalry are facing each other, the javelins usually fly around and miss because both units are moving - they aren't a significant factor in the engagement.

Some javelin cavalry which are fast, like numidians, work quite well for "kiting" slower enemy cavalry and shooting them in the face, doing lots of casualties.

Slower cavalry can't do this, so you need to find other uses. Besides generic roles than any other light cavalry can have (pursuing routing units, rear charges, etc.), one use i found for javelin cavalry is to move them around an engaged enemy unit, preferably in the back, then fire at point blank range. Some cavalry carry lot of javelins of poor quality, others a few ones of decent quality, others a lot of good ones. The best target depends on what kind of projectile the unit carries.

This work best against cavalry units engaged in melee (cavalry have big hitboxes), or against shielded heavy infantry - basically javelins are good against any high value target, the more expensive each individual is, the most efficient a javelin to the back is. A clear example is KH bodyguards, there is no good getting close to that juggernaut with cavalry, so a good way is to pin them in place, then pepper them in the back with javelins.

In general, i turn off fire at will, then use them as light cavalry. If a situation arises i can exploit, i move them to rear of an engaged target (an enemy bodyguard is one of the best), and shoot at point blank range. If you imagine javelins as pistols or carbines, then the use is similar - for maximun effect, fire stationary and at close range.