Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Un Official' Single Post AAR Thread

Artifex

Default Re: 'Un Official' Single Post AAR Thread

Double post, I'll look for something to fill it with...
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Wow!!! I have updated the index, but I have not read these yet. Nothing like a recovery from photobucket to stir the juices!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

You performed a wonderful job Maltacus in these 4 posts mixing a narrative into an educational story. The recap of your strategy in the end of the story is most welcome to new and maybe some not so new players to Medieval II Total War. And the pictures, the pictures look glorious.

All in all you have delivered terrific work here! +rep

THE LAST DAYS OF KING HENRY'S REIGN
    Excerpt from Bertram of Derby's contemporary chronicle on the Norman kings.
    (An England SSHIP short AAR)

King Henry I

1132 AD

Henricus Rex has, God save him, has ruled England for thirty two years, having succeeded to the throne of his brother William Rufus at the turn of this century. Like his father, he is strong and noble in bearing, but possesses the same vices; greed and impatience often lead our honoured king astray. He is harsh in justice, sometimes even cruel, yet there are none that have cause to call him unfair. Though his rule was often challenged by his errant brother and his sons, Henry emerged victorious, and the English have now known peace for many years. Undoubtedly, he is the greatest of the Conqueror's sons.

It is our lord's sole failing, then, that he leaves England with no heir. Unforeseen tragedy struck when his only legitimate son drowned within sight of England's shores, leaving the kingdom's future uncertain. Henry's daughter, Matilda, and her husband, the Angevin Geoffrey, were his favoured heirs. What was the father's should be the daughter's, as the law decrees, and Geoffrey has begun fortifying his domains in Anjou. He will fight for his wife's right to rule.

But the nobles have balked at the prospect of a woman sitting on the Conqueror's throne. Stephen of Blois, nephew of the King, is their favoured candidate, and our lord King has been forced to back down over the issue. Robert of Normandy, ancient as he is, still eyes the throne with longing, and has no lack of support amongst those who are not satisfied with either party. We can only pray that the King's new marriage to the lady Adeliza of Louvain produces a son so that the matter can be solved.

The matter of succession...

But it is ill luck to dwell upon the prospect of our noble lord's demise. He remains in rude health, and I pray that the Lord grants him many more years yet.

Autumn, 1132 AD

Upon the feast day of Saint Alfred, important news from England reached my lord's court in Normandy. The barbarous Welsh, led by their Prince, fell upon the English marches, capturing many castles and homesteads by dishonour and cunning. My lord Henry grew very wroth, and sent word to his brother Robert, now back in the King's confidence after their years of quarrelling, to exact retribution for this defeat and bring him the head of Owain as proof of the deed. Owain now leads warbands into England itself, and this is something that my lord cannot tolerate. Curthose has summoned the barons of the Welsh Marches in King Henry's name, and now marches with an army to restore his brother's rule over the perfidious Welshmen.

Winter, 1132 AD

The Welsh cowards fled from Lord Robert's advance, disappearing into the mountains as the righteous fury of the Normans descended upon them. News reached us in the new year that Cardiff Castle had been recaptured, and that southern Wales was once more restored to Henry's rule. In vengeance for their treachery, many Welsh have been put to death. I do not envy them, for the wroth of Curthose is legendary, and I pray to God that those innocent of the crimes of Owain are spared from his anger. The campaign against Owain shall continue once the winter is done.

Robert in South Wales

My lord entertained the lady Matilda and the Lord Geoffrey in Rouen in celebration of Our Lord's birth. It warms his heart to know that the Holy City is once more in Christian hands, and upon the day of Christ's birth itself he and the Lord Geoffrey swore a vow before the Bishop of Bayeux that they would venture as pilgrims to the place of His birth. The festivities were marked by yet another dispute between the lady Matilda and her husband, this one more violent and public than the last, and Henry spent much of December attempting to reconcile their differences. After some days of deliberation, Matilda agreed to accompany her husband back to Anjou at the turn of the year. In private, Henry confided in me that he prays that God will grant them a son, for he desires greatly to become a grandfather.

1133 AD

Battle of Halton Field

Owain's head arrived in the spring, wrapped in wine-soaked cloth: it was brought before my Lord's throne by a messenger of his brother, who then relayed to us the tale of victory. Robert had caught the Welsh near Chester and routed them, with their lord unfortunate enough to be caught and slain before he could flee from the field. Curthose received the homage of the Welsh chieftains in my lords name, and has been granted the lands of his defeated foe as a reward for his victories. He presses on into Wales, vigour belying his advancing age, now determined to bring the King of Gwynedd to heel. The Prince of Powys Fadog has already submitted to him, and he now moves upon Caer Arfon, the stronghold of Owain's father, the foremost enemy of the Normans in Wales.

The Siege of Caer Arfon

1135 AD

The entirety of spring has already been much more eventful than the previous year. My Lord caught a fever during Easter, and though he has recovered somewhat, he is too weak to leave Rouen. At least his wish to become a grandfather has been granted: Geoffrey sent word that Matilda has given birth to a daughter, strong and healthy. Though it was not the son he hoped for, the news brought him some small comfort in his pain. I worry for his health. He can hardly stand, and must be carried to the chamberpot in the night to relieve himself. Mass is said daily for his recovery across all Normandy, and I hope that the Lord hears us and grants him strength.

As the months have progressed, the King seems to show little sign of recovering, though at least he remains alive. The Norman barons have been summoned to his side, and he has confided in me that he wishes for them to swear to uphold Matilda as his heir. The news of Henry's illness has surely reached England. Matilda has delivered news that she is once again with child, and more than ever we pray for our king's sake that it is a son to continue his line.

December, 1135 AD

Robert's Victory

Robert is victorious, though now he is dead. Only a few weeks after capturing Caer Arfon and slaying King Gruffyd was the eldest son of the Conqueror struck down by some unknown ailment, unable to glory in his greatest triumph. I shall pray for his salvation, for he was not a man without sin. His fiefs have passed to his brother, who now bears the distinction of being William's sole surviving son.

The Norman barons have given their oaths of fealty to Matilda, and have solemnly departed from Henry's side. They now expect him to pass on soon, as do I. A week ago, the physicians noted that he had begun coughing up blood.

1136 AD
    A boy is born to Matilda and Geoffrey, though the news is bittersweet. The King is dead.

So passes Henricus Rex, who ruled well for thirty six years. To whom he leaves the throne is uncertain.

Henry's Death

He passed unto heaven in the early days of February, and before he was even buried the Norman barons had begun to raise their soldiers. Some were intent on keeping their oath. Others were not, and now Rouen is under their sway, captured swiftly by bloodless treachery. I fled south, to Anjou, to deliver the news to England's new Queen, and to warn her of the forces arrayed against her. I pray that this dispute can be resolved without bloodshed.

Stephen the Usurper

Matilda is like her father in many ways. Stubborn, quick to anger, and cunning, she however lacks his wisdom, and though she possesses the beauty of her mother, our Queen has precious little of her patience. When news reached her of Stephen's usurpation, she immediately demanded of her husband that he march into Normandy. For the last year of Henry's reign they had been making ready for this inevitability, and now Geoffrey, a brutal man well accustomed to the ways of war, followed her wish. With our Queen at his side, Geoffrey conquered the Duchy within a few short weeks, defeating the barons that opposed him and received homage from the rest. Their son, Roger, has been named Duke of the Normans, and they now prepare to cross the channel and make war upon those who would take away our Queen's rightful birthright. It will lead to bloody war, but I am nonetheless oath-bound to follow my Lord and Lady across the channel. I pray to God that we are victorious, and for our salvation.

Wrote this in the style of a chronicle that covered just a little bit of history, with the events of the game intertwined with the historical narrative of the civil war that occurred after King Henry I's death. Was quite fun to write something as a one off, though I could always pick it up again later with the option open to do so.

And I apologise for the quality of the screenshots, I realise they aren't the clearest. Its the thought that counts, right?
    Last edited by Gandalfus; May 25, 2018 at 09:41 PM.

A great single post AAR Gandalfus! I liked the picts (partially because of the spoilers) and this was very complete. I may have had more fun in reading this than you had in writing it.

Content Emeritus

Like Norsething, I also very much enjoyed your AAR. I did not even question the quality of the screenshots until you pointed it out yourself so I should think they are alright.

Thanks!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree with Turkafinwë, the four single-post AARs by Maltacus are entertaining, informative and illustrated by glorious images. I noticed your references to lines from the Lord of the Rings, liked the way that you include the unintended consequences of the moves made by units (such as the downside of the macemen moving forward and pinning the orcs close to the tower in the Disrespectful Siege of Orc Fortress) and the banter between the dwarves in the third and fourth AARs.

Gandalfus, I enjoyed your AAR, including your use of real history and your chronicle style. Your screenshots give a good impression of what was happening (if you would like them to be clearer, I wonder if it would help to cut and paste the section of the screenshot which you'd like to highlight, such as King Stephen's character profile, into a new image. You could then enlarge the new image. I use the free software Paint.net; others prefer other options. I don't know whether that would produce a better result, I'm just guessing and there's nothing wrong with using the style of screenshots which you used.)

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

This thread was a great idea, and the entries are excellent. I hope to see many more!

Citizen

A/N – I wrote this a few months ago for a Third Age: Total War hotseat game, but then when I saw this single-post AAR thread I figured it was worth posting here as well. This describes a fictional battle in the war between Rohan and Isengard; it essentially replaces the Battle of Helm’s Deep (as it is known in the movies) as the deciding battle of the conflict. The battle assumes that Rohan is more aware of the threat Saruman poses and advances to challenge the dark wizard much closer to Isengard itself. The AAR has been modified to some degree to improve it and make it more suitable for an audience not familiar with the hotseat game. I also went back and played out the battle (in a hotseat you usually auto-resolve battles) so I could add the pictures.

“My lord, the center is wavering!”

Theodred spurred his exhausted horse, driving the beast toward the fray once more. His arm felt as though it was made of lead, his throat more arid than the great southern deserts. Yet, still he forced himself to raise his sword to the heavens, to shout encouragement to his men. Encouragement which he did not feel. Encouragement which, in his mind, was slowly deteriorating into despair.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The enemy horde advances.

Fire at will men! Let every one of your arrows strike home!

The battle had commenced at dawn. The great army of Rohan had crossed the northernmost ford over the Isen during the night and drawn up in line of battle on the western bank of the river, much to the surprise of the enemy army encamped a few miles to the northwest. But Saruman’s commander was both clever and competent; once he realized that his lack of attention had allowed the Rohirrim to cross the river unopposed, he mustered his forces and moved to correct his error in earnest. The two great armies met on a flat plain a short distance from the ford, a plain which would soon be soaked with blood and littered with the bodies of the fallen.

The charge of the Uruk-hai.

The wild men of Dunland assault Rohan's center.

That had been many hours ago. The sun was now setting in the west, shining in the eyes of the Rohirrim rather than their enemies as it had earlier in the day, adding to their misery. The axmen on the flanks were holding their own, but the less experienced militia in the center was barely hanging on. The poor spearmen would have broken hours ago had Theodred not ordered the archers—out of ammunition by that point—into melee combat. Even with the extra manpower, the situation was dire. The bloodlust of the Uruk-hai was matched only by their brutality; they could often be seen pausing to feast on the flesh of fallen foes as the Rohirrim were slowly driven back. The Dunlandings were equally savage, their blind rage making up for their lack of discipline. Rohan had vanquished many more fighters than it had lost this day, but for every Uruk-hai or wild man who fell, two more seemed to spring forth to take his place.

Rohan’s battle line was stretched into a great crescent, the center being driven steadily back to the ford. If the center broke, all would be lost. The forces holding the flanks would be trapped on the western side of the river, surrounded and butchered. Theodred longed to dismount his horse, to fight amongst his men. But he feared that if anyone saw his horse without a rider, they would assume the worst, and the news of his demise would spread like wildfire amongst the ranks. Rohan hung by a thread; the slightest blow to morale would cause the entire army to collapse. The fate of the army, of Rohan itself, hung in the balance. They needed a miracle. They needed their King.

Rohan's cavalry rides hard through the mountains, desperate to reach the battle in time.

It is not too late! King Theoden orders a charge.

Horns.

From the south, hundreds of them, melding into one glorious refrain. It seemed to spring from the depths of the earth, driving away the heavy air and bringing new life to the forces of Good. For the first time since the dawn, Theodred allowed a grim smile to grace his lips. He knew what this meant. As did Rohan. Tired heads rose, eyes which had been downcast in despair now gazing toward the southern hills with renewed hope. Spears and shields which exhaustion had dragged low now rose to face the enemy. Soldiers on the verge of throwing down their weapons and fleeing for their lives returned to the ranks, their courage restored.

The horns blew again, from much closer this time. Uruk-hai and Dunlandings glanced around nervously in confusion. Farther back, the enemy commander could be seen directing his meager reserves to the south. But it was too late. Over the hills rode a single man, his graying hair flowing in the breeze. Theodred could hear the triumphant cry, the familiar voice of his father, his king, even from where he stood. No, father, you are not too late. Just behind the King, a great wave of horsemen crested the hill and swept down upon the flank of the unprepared forces of Isengard. They drove a massive wedge into the enemy formation, trampling and hacking down all who opposed them. At the head of the formation rode Theoden, a beacon in the gloom, one of the most glorious sights in the long memory of Rohan.

Rohan's cavalry smashes the enemy flank.

The moment of impact.

Flying Uruk-hai.

But Theoden alone would not be enough to carry the day. Theodred rode though his line, heedless of the lingering enemies, most of whom had started to fall back in fear. Then he turned and charged across his army’s front, letting his voice carry to the ears of every soldier under his command.

“Men of Rohan! You have already given more than any could ask of you. But your King needs you! Once more, brave soldiers of Rohan! Once more! One more charge! Send these foul creatures back to the hell from whence they came! To Theoden! To the King!”

The voices of Rohan thundered as one, as cries of “To the King!” echoed across the ranks. Theodred breathed deeply, savoring the moment. He dismounted his horse and stood at the head of his men, his brave infantry. Rohan was a nation of cavalry, but today, the footmen had proven their worth. Looking to the heavens, Theodred drew vigor from deep within his being, and unleashed a true warrior spirit.

“FORTH EORLINGAS!!!”

The end game.

The pursuit.
    The frightened Uruk-hai and Dunlandings held for a time, but they were trapped between a revitalized Rohirrim army in front, and a seemingly unstoppable force of cavalry at their rear. Soon enough they buckled, then shattered completely. The resulting slaughter was terrible, but every fleeing enemy cut down was one less desperate soldier the Rohirrim would have to face during the impending siege of Isengard itself, the final struggle to end this vicious war once and for all.

A good AAR with well-chosen screenshots! I like the way that you show how this could as part of an alternative history of Middle-earth. While I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies very much, I am slightly troubled by the military tactics, with the riders of Rohan riding directly into the front of pikemen. At least your Rohirrim had the good sense to strike the enemy spearmen in the flank - and to bring infantry!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    While I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies very much, I am slightly troubled by the military tactics, with the riders of Rohan riding directly into the front of pikemen. At least your Rohirrim had the good sense to strike the enemy spearmen in the flank - and to bring infantry!
    Yes, the only way that didn't end badly in the movie was the sun shining in the faces of the Uruk-hai at the last moment, causing the line to waver. The more egregious one for me is in the third Hobbit movie, where a bunch of sword-wielding elves leap over the solid line of Dwarven shields and pikes to fight the goblins. That one makes me cringe. Whoever choreographed that scene should be chained to a desk and forced to play Third Age: Total War battles until he understands the error of his ways.

At Peace: An Islamic Faction in Alliance with Rome

by NorseThing

This is a short campaign on Hard settings with the Moors. This will be a brief narrative After Action Report on the beginning of that campaign. I wanted a peaceful Moors in this campaign to see how the computer would behave. This meant the quiet expansion toward the gold in the southern interior and alliances with both Spain and Portugal. I was surprised that the Pope was also happy to be an ally as well. The Pope even agreed to set the pace with a modest 100 annual tribute to the Moors for 20 turns!

The Sultan Tahar quickly ordered the construction of two border forts. One was a border fort between Tunis and Algiers. One was a fort at the river border between Cordoba and Toledo. I do not know if they were effective or not, but no wars began near the two forts. The Cordoba fort had a nominal garrison of a single infantry while the Algiers fort was the home to excess cavalry not used for the Timbuktu operation. Later 2 Grenadine regiments were added after fortress units became available. Sicily threatened with her navies but never came to blows nor even blockades even though the peaceful Moors wanted a great many ports for commercial trade. Spain was completely peaceful and happy with her 3 settlements of Leon, Toledo, and Valencia. It took a while for Valencia and El Cid to fall to the Spanish. By then the Moors were a major power. I did on some occasions toss 100 florins per turn towards Spain, but the Moors did not make a regular habit of this.

The first step after starting up trade relations was to step up religious conversion pressure on the Iberian factions. Priests were recruited for everywhere. The Mosques were built and improved for the internal domestic conversion protection against the efforts of Catholic priests and the rare Cardinal. At some point this meant Islam was no longer the minority religion in an Iberian settlement. Some Catholic priests unfortunately met their early demise from assassination to help with the conversion war. Even though the religious conversion was succeeding, it did not seem to generate rebellions or heretics in the Spanish or Portuguese controlled regions.

The game has gone 60 turns so far. There have been wars with the Moors, but all wars lasted merely one or two turns before a grateful opposing faction was glad to have a ceasefire. Quick offers of a ceasefire after a Moors supremacy was established was essential to prevent the hostilities from developing into a wider ranging general war.

The first war was with Milan after the Moors had purchased Tunis from the Sicilians for 3500 florins on a time basis. I always prefer time payments since they can be offset with the settlement income and it helps discourage new hostilities which would cancel future payments.

Tunis was ready to become a fortress, but Sicily never made the investment. Milan sent a stack of about 15 units. Most were Cavalry regiments from the island settlements. Three different fleets landed and then the Milanese army was formed from the three parts before war broke out. Milan built two ladder sets and a ram. Milan then attacked to take the settlement by force of arms, but why use an army of mostly cavalry to take Tunis if it was to be taken by force? The fortress walls were completed by the Moors, but no other fortress level buildings had yet been started. The Castle walls were held by mainly desert archers and a few Berber Spearmen. The Grenadine Jinetes as a part of the relieving force did wonders shooting into the rear of the Milanese army as they were gathered at the Tunis gates. Yes, the Moors did have a few turns to build and recruit. Some crossbow militia arrived from Cordoba came via a fleet. The fleet also picked up a family member general at Algiers to aid the garrison. The Tunis garrison was stiffened quite a bit before Milan began the siege. Milan did have a token force of stone castle recruited infantry to handle the battering ram and ladders so it was not strictly a cavalry siege. About half of the infantry were peasants and did not stand up well when the relieving force of cavalry moved up from the border fort. (Remember the border fort that the Moors had built on the very first turns of the campaign?)

I had expected some push back by Venice which was already present in Tripoli, but I guess they had other problems with Sicily (flush with the Moorish florins from the Tunis transfer) and their eternal wars with Milan and Hungary. By the way, Hungary was nearly always the richest faction in the game. At some point Venice was completely removed from Italy. Milan now holds Venice and Florence and the two islands while the HRE still holds their starting position in Bologna with a well stocked garrison. My guess is that the Papal tribute to the Moors for those 20 turns, while modest, kept potential Papal expansion in check. This is of course, only a guess.

For periods of time France, Milan, and Hungary were at war with the Pope. How and why Hungary was also excommunicated, I do not know. There was only one crusade during this time. The Crusade was a success by Denmark on rebel held and then Egyptian held Antioch. What Denmark wants to do with the prize is beyond me, but the prize is hers to own now. Kiev was taken and continues to be held by the Byzantine Empire which seems to have made the Black Sea a Byzantine lake. Poland was restricted by the Byzantine northern growth. She then chose to go to war against Russia.

The Hungarian expansion to the east was closed off by Kiev as well. Eventually this meant Hungary going to war with Poland and thus probably why Hungary is now at war with the Pope. No crusade was called though and Poland was never an ally of the Pope. The internal workings of the Papal army are a complete mystery to the peaceful Moors. The Papal army never did head into Iberia. In fact only one Cardinal from Sicily even made an attempt to move into North Africa via the land transit point at Gibraltar. The Moors saw no need to blockade the transit point and cause potential friction.

The next war was with Portugal who gladly agreed to an offered ceasefire after Lisbon fell. This Portugal war had a lead up that was interesting. The French were cornered by England, Milan, and the Holy Roman Empire and looked to be losing a great deal of manpower as the settlements were being taken. Portugal jumped in and grabbed Bordeaux from the weakened French and then thought it a great idea to blockade a Moorish port as the war frenzy built up. The Moors gave a gift of 2000 florins and another 200 florins over the next 10 turns to aid in the French cause. Nothing was asked in return, but the French were nice and turned a large stack of beginning units away from the main action to retake Bordeaux and then seized Pamplona. This left Portugal with only Zaragoza as Lisbon was now a Moorish settlement. This pretty much ended the pressure on the Moors. The bankrupt Portugal has a couple of big stacks just wandering Iberia in Moorish and Spanish lands, but they are at peace with both Spain and the Moors and do not seem to pose a real threat. One stack is simply bouncing around between Valencia and Toledo. The other seems to like the Cordoba Atlantic Ocean coast waiting for a fleet that will never arrive.

So after 60 turns I am still allied continuously with Spain and the Pope. How this ends is unknown at the present. I am hoping for the Pope to call another Crusade against Egypt so I can then end this by grabbing Toledo and then driving on towards Zaragoza. This would split Spanish held Valencia from Spanish held Leon and eliminate a Portugal that is seething with thoughts of revenge. Of course this will not happen unless it is by Spanish choice. I would gladly end the campaign without the win if Spain stayed as a loyal ally to the end. Perhaps they may even serve Moorish interests by taking out Portugal on their own. In role play terms, Spain has been a loyal ally and practically a vassal of the Moorish Empire. Too bad that Portugal could not remain loyal. Of course, there is more profit from Lisbon as Moorish settlement.

It is fun, but a bit dull managing a small empire of only eight settlements for 60 turns. Without the gold mines and merchant trade near Timbuktu, the transition to fortress level production would not have been possible with so few settlements.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

An Islamic faction in an alliance with Rome? What blasphemy is this? Burn in hell!

Jokes aside, that was rather well written. How you managed to get the Pope to ally with you will forever be a mystery to me, and how he hasn't broken it yet will vex me for days to come, but at least its working out for you!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    An Islamic faction in an alliance with Rome? What blasphemy is this? Burn in hell!

Jokes aside, that was rather well written. How you managed to get the Pope to ally with you will forever be a mystery to me, and how he hasn't broken it yet will vex me for days to come, but at least its working out for you!
    I am certain that my game setting as hard rather than very hard was a factor. Also, I never was at war for more than two turns, so the war frenzy did not set in. The initial alliance was early in the campaign when I was at peace and the Pope had not yet allied with any other faction. I think the Pope wants or is coded to want only allies who are at peace. I am not certain that religion plays a big part in the alliance decision making at the time. Over time I worked a bit to please the Pope with the occasional diplomat giving map information as the Moors grew. That may be a factor as well. I do not remember, but I think the tributes were only for the first 20 turns after the alliance and the tributes were from the Pope to the Moors!

There be giants in the lands of ice and snow

by NorseThing

Author's Note: This Single Post After Action Report is inspired by "The Heroes of Asgard", 1857. I have a facsimile edition from 2013 by Fall River Press (Barnes and Noble). Yes, it is a children's book and it is well worth a read. The author is from England at about the time that some of the rich were no longer giving lifetime support to their servants, but that is for another post in another forum. From wiki, I learned: "
    Annie Keary's first children's book appeared in 1856, the year after her father died. Her third, The Heroes of Asgard (1857), was the first of three on which she collaborated with her sister Eliza." The AAR is from an older saved game of Medieval II with the Stainless Steel 6.4 modification before I added the submod "Bug Fix" to the mix.

Part I - King Henry ends the old order

King Henry had gathered the last great formation of Fyrd Spearmen in Caen. Many were already veterans of the seige of Rennes, but some were transferred by the English squadrons from various points in England. None of the Fyrd Spearmen had experience worth noting before the Duke of Normandy, Robert de Mobray led them into the Bretany wilderness. King Henry desired that all of the old order of things be replaced with the more trusted spearmen and officers of Norman heritage.

Yes. It was true that these Spear Militia were better on the attack, but any man with a longer spear made of good English of French oak staves would have an advantage. The advantage was in the length of the spear more than in the man holding the spear. This was all an excuse to simply move out the Anglo-Saxons from the power they lost. When William defeated King Harold Godwinson and became the newest king of England by conquest, the Fyrd Spearmen as a keeper of order were no longer desired.

Herny's plan was to make England Norman by adopting loyal Normans into his own extended household. These new and trusted young men would also need titles and land. As the old order died off or acted with dishonor, these newer and younger men were brought into Henry's administration. This was rewarding the next generation to buy loyalty. Their trust to support the Norman House was important to the King. His father had begun and Henry was now founding this dynasty firmly in England.

Part II - Rebellion!

A band of Norman and French brigands that had gathered on the border lands dividing Paris from Normandy. This was disrupting trade on the road to Paris as they had resisted the authority of the Duke Robert de Mobray . These brigands seemed to have the support of the French King Louis or perhaps Duke Robert, Henry's older brother. No proof was presented to King Henry. Suspicion was sufficient to satisfy the King. These brigands of Armored Saergents and Crossbowmen were still a threat to trade. If the brigands were to grow by recruits, they could become a threat to throw the entire Norman home province into open defiance against King Henry as well.

The cycle of conquest is a complete cycle. All of the replacements were not obvious though. Marriage changes things and new offspring are often more loyal to the parent favored by the king. In this case it was often a Norman father wed to a local Anglo-Saxon wife. It had been more than a generation since the Normans were in charge. This was the nature of things.

All of the garrisons were slowly and steadily replaced with Normans in all the positons that mattered. Where there was once a Saxon there was now a Norman in authority, just as a Saxon had replaced an Angle and the Angle had replaced a Jute.

Henry believed a moment such as a local rebellion would be an invitation for his brother, Robert, to challenge his authority. The challenge would not be over just the Normandy or the other mainland holdings, but all of England as well. This is why Henry had requested Robert to build up the northern English lands around York and Nothingham. When the conquest of Wales had begun, brother Robert had not been asked to contribute more than a small band of men from Nothingham. The young Gregary Darnley was little trusted, but more so than Robert. So Noble Barnley was entrusted with the task and marched up with men from Exeter to support the men from Notingham. Stephan De Blois was not trusted either, so he was sent to administer Exeter. The shuffling of the nobles meant that Henry's lack of trust was not a state secret. He trusted nobody with power for extended periods of time.

Phillip Aubigny had been recently adopted into the King's household. He arrived in the port on the coast near the wooden castle at Caen in the winter of 1104 with the last of the Fyrd Spearmen from England. He had the trust of the King. He was to assume the title of Duke of Normandy. Robert de Mowbray had held this title for some years. Henry believed Robert de Mowbray was simply holding the title for Henry's brother Robert, so this change was needed. Once again the convenient excuse of the brigands was used to cover for the larger reasoning for the change in administration. As consolation, Robert de Mowbray was to take on the duties titled as the the Duc de Bretagne as a reward for his efforts in the successful seige of Rennes. Together with the Fyrd Spearmen and half strength Miles regiments garrisoned in Caen, they joined together with Phillip in command to march against the brigands.

Part III - There be giants in the lands of ice and snow

It was as if the old stories of the Norse were coming true once again. Heaps of snow and ice piled strangely over one another. The misty plain began to rise under the marching Fyrd battalions. The Fyrd Spearmen continued to march toward the higher ground of the hills away from the Seine River. Captain Simon knew that this higher ground was where the rebels had to be taking cover during this wintery storm. At least that was what Phillip had stated. Even the tall pines in the distance seemed to appear as giants as the snow fell from the dark angry winter sky. Captain Simon was not the only Fyrd Spearman to notice the distant pines during the storm seemed just like the giants of the old Norse stories. The soldiers comment about everything when they are wet, cold, and not comfortable. Captain Simon now led the Fyrd battalions forward while Phillip split the cavalry regiments off in a flanking arc. The desire was to hopefully out flank the rebels once they were spotted and engaged by the Fyrd Spearmen.

This might have been a sound military decision, but the inexperienced Fyrd battalions knew they were not valued by the King. They were now without the safety of the cavalry as their escort. They did hear the occasional sound of a bugle echoing in the distance. This was of little reassurance. The cavalry was not seen due the heavy snow falling. Captain Simon kept the men marching. He hoped that picking up the pace would distract the men from their worries, but even he did not really know where they were heading nor what their fate would be upon arrival. The only officers that may hold that knowledge were mounted and with Phillip.

Crack! Silence ... a long pause. Even the wind has died down. The snow continues to fall. Heavy and thick flakes are accumulating. Snow and ice are now beginning to completely cover every boulder near the river. Crack! The sharp noise breaks the silence.

Simon declares. "Men, the river ice seems to be breaking from the weight of heavy wet snow that has fallen. The sounds we are hearing is just the river ice being rearranged."

A lone soldier shouts out, "Odin save us. The Giants are coming!"

Indeed! The wind was blowing and stiring a motion of the distant pines. It was midday. The heavy clouds continued to drop snow upon the valley. Despite the time, there are dark forms from the pines In the near darkness that did indeed look a bit like giants.

The Fyrd Spearmen were no longer in formation. The ranks were now simple clusters of men holding their spears. To a man, they were clearly afraid. The giants of the old Norse stories were still a part of their inner beliefs.

Crack!

Another lone soldier spoke up, "This is no ice on the river. This is thunder! Odin has sent his son to save us. Thor just fired a thunder bolt. Thor will protect us from the giants."

The snow was no longer falling fast and not in large wet flakes either. The sky was also a bit lighter. Simon as well as the men could now see off in the distance that the giants were simply trees. Near the trees were the brigands as Phillip had spoke of. Captain Simon ordered the Fyrd Spearmen into formation. The order to advance was then made. The Fyrd Spearmen were now advancing with their spears forward. The eyes of these Anglo-Saxons showed no fear. The fear disappeared as quickly as the storm clouds opened up. The sun was not bright, but it was no longer shadows cast in darkness either. Phillip and the cavalry regiments were formed up for a charge on the brigands. Today there is no longer any threat of a rebellion.

Content Emeritus

A nice and short tale Norsething! I especially liked the atmosphere you built up towards the climatic thrid part. The fear and uncertainty felt by the Fyrd spearmen are conveyed well through your words. A good example on how the mind can sometimes play tricks on the wearied mind of a man that is unhappy, cold, wet and in a strange land. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    A nice and short tale Norsething! I especially liked the atmosphere you built up towards the climatic thrid part. The fear and uncertainty felt by the Fyrd spearmen are conveyed well through your words. A good example on how the mind can sometimes play tricks on the wearied mind of a man that is unhappy, cold, wet and in a strange land. +rep
    I am glad you liked it. Inspired by a discussion thread Can writers learn from films and TV shows? . Yes, I used a book and not a film or television show. That is the nature of inspiration though.

Now how about some more single post AAR submissions tied to something in addition to the game itself?

I like the idea of AARs inspired by books (as well as the campaign). It's nice to see that the discussion thread inspired such enjoyable writing. The reaction of the Fyrd Spearmen to the sights and sounds they experience, as well as the connection to old Norse beliefs, was very effective. (I missed 'At Peace' until now; I'm glad I read it, as it's an interesting exploration of what might have happened if history had turned out differently.)

The Sicilian Adventure of Alberto

By NorseThing

King Roger is in his comfortable palace in Naples with his daughter who is the very single and very young Matilda. “I know you are comfortable here in Naples. Many young nobles have come to our court simply to have a chance meeting with you. Yes, I know they claim they have urgent business with me the king, but I know better. So, I dislike asking you to make haste to Rome. But this is important diplomatic business that I can only trust to a family member. I want you to meet with the Pope....”

Later that week on the island of Sicily....

Alberto,a general in the fledgling Sicilian army, is meeting with Prince Simon in the great Palermo castle, the administrative capital of the Sicilian Kingdom. “Sire, you have called me in for a planning meeting . I am here at your command.”

Prince Simon, “Thank you for the quick response Noble Alberto. I am giving you command of our northern army. “

General Alberto, “Thank you sire. I did not know we had a northern army.”

Prince Simon is truly a political animal. He loves the art of making the deals that keep the new kingdom in the grace of Pope Gregory. “The great Pope is even now with a substantial force in the northern portion of his region near the border with the region of Florence. The Pope has expressed his concern with the political turmoil raging in Florence today. So as of today we have a northern army and an eastern army. You will command what forces we have west of Palermo and this will be our new northern army. You will set sail with the appropriate provisions for a campaign to secure Florence from rebellion that threatens the peace even within Rome.”

General Alberto, “And who shall command the eastern army sire? Your old man, the King? I believe he is the only noble of general rank in Naples today. What is this eastern army? What is the mission it shall serve? Is it to protect my eastern flank along the Adriatic as I approach Florence from the western shores of the Adriatic north of Rome?”

Prince Simon, “My Father is not yet an old man! Today as the veteran drillmaster he is, he is now preparing to sail from a fishing village near Naples. This small fishing village we hope will become a great trading port on the Adriatic. This new port will shorten the distances from the Islamic east for shipping merchandise into and out of the Italian peninsula. We hope that this new port will not simply rival ports further north such as Venice, but the trade will benefit Sicily as a full partner in Italian affairs. The Naples garrison is now the eastern army. May it sail to the glory of Rome and to the glory of Sicily. So, go! Assemble your army. Make what drills and practices you need to be credible to face the rebels near Florence. You shall sail within the year with favorable winds.”

Many weeks later the Council of Nobles had their own suggestion to the King. “Put down the rebellious soldiers in Durazzo. There are nearly no Christians in the region and just like Sicily and Naples,this is a region that challenges the great Pope Gregory in Rome unless the we in Sicily assert our authority in the name of Rome.” Thus the careful plans of King Roger and his son, Simon must be compromised to satisfy the wishes of lesser nobles. King Roger has promised to take advice from the council just as his father had previously. Or perhaps this was not just lucky but a planned diversion even before the Council of Nobles had offered the advice.

It was the Viking way. Roger was king, but all nobles wanted some input on the affairs that affected their estates as well as those of their neighbors. So King Roger and his western army were now sailing to Durazzo to put down rebellion not for the nobles of Naples, but for the Pope in Rome. At least that was the stated reason by the council. Whether the advice was a cover for King Roger's original plans is not known.

King Roger landed his army of 3 companies of infantry and 3 regiments of cavalry to put down a minor rebellion in a land that was not friendly to any Christian King...

General Albert landed his northern army on the Adriatic shore and then quickly marched to encircle and besiege Florence. Rather than order the navy to be sunk, General Alberto ordered it back to Palermo. It was important for the men to know this campaign was to be successful or a complete failure. Unknown to General Alberto, there was no flanking force to protect his eastern exposure from whatever army the Holy Roman Emperor might have mobilized to quell the same rebellion in Florence. There was no army under the command of the king clearing out rebellion east of the town of Florence. Fortunately the men did not know this either. There would be no option of an orderly retreat if circumstances changed.

The general was taking his time. There was no need to assault these rebels. Time would bring the rebellion to a close. General Hunger was Alberto's ally against those how opposed the authority of Sicily.

Word reached General Alberto 18 months later that Matilda had secured a formal alliance personally with Pope Gregory that included mutual trade rights as well as mutual military access. There was no thought of any aid in the form of florins to help the small kingdom by either the pope or his advisers and Matilda thought it best to not mention the topic. The word was also that the King was not protecting his flank. Fortune smiled on Alberto though. The king's network of spies had reported no activity from the Bologna region. The Holy Roman Empire was not about to quell any rebellious soldiers that might be a threat to Pope Gregory.

So all was safe. Well at least as far as the Holy Roman Empire mobilizing it was safe, but it was reported that several Milanese armies had begun to leave the well developed town walls. Alberto decided to let his ally General Hunger do the dirty deed of forcing the Florence rebels to submit to Sicilian Authority. Alas, there was some truly bad news that filtered north as well. Beca Torriani had wed Princess Matilda. The noble, now a general in the growing Sicilian army, Beca Torriani was known as more than a mere mercenary but it has never suggested he be a defender of the faith. The marriage did produce such loyalty to the King and his family that now Beca was now spoken far and wide. He was the epitome of loyalty and obedience to Sicily and the sovereign King Roger.

Now General Torriani was rewarded not just with the hand of the princess,but also with the Governorship of Palermo. This allowed the great Prince to begin mobilizing the new western army out of the garrison at Palermo Castle. Palermo was now becoming a trading town like Naples. Even the stables and the mustering halls were torn down in preparation for the new town to rise upon the foundations of the castle.

General Alberto had hoped this campaign would mean being noticed by the King and possible entry into his family by marriage. His campaign in the north of Rome would and could not now be rewarded with her hand in marriage. Perhaps Prince Simon knew this from the beginning. He was rather terse in their planning meeting several years ago. General Alberto also remembered that Prince Simon was silent on where King Roger and the eastern army was headed. Perhaps it was never intended to protect his eastern flank.

That evening, General Alberto then gave some orders to the captains of the force besieging Florence. “Nobles, order your men to build rams. We shall assault this town of Florence in a fortnight. We will put these rebels at peace with Pope Gregory and they shall submit to the authority of Sicily.”

Perhaps these orders were always planned. Perhaps these orders were made out of anger. Perhaps these orders were....

The attack proceeded normally as was planned in his meeting with the captains the nearly a fortnight before. Before dawn the captains assembled for a quick review of what was desired by General Alberto. The Muslim archers opened with volley after volley on the defending rebel company at the gate.

It was a rainy morning on the day of the assault. General Alberto thought it best to attack without delay. The mud would make traversing the ram to the gate more difficult, but the rain was better on the backs of his men than the blazing Mediterranean summer sun.

The ram was pushed forward toward the gate. The men pushed the ram through the open field approaching Florence. The men continued to push the ram down the muddy slope very near to the gate.

Then the gate opened. The men gave out a collective sigh of relief. The rebels were going to surrender the town without a fight. Sicilian power!

The rebel company at the gate then rushed the Sicilian company pushing the ram. Now the ram was not so much an instrument of entry as it was a wall protecting the rebel militia spears from a counter attack on abroad front.

General Alberto gave the order. “Men! The gates have been opened. Draw your swords, fix your spears, spur your horses! Charge!!” The rebel Spear Militia gave as good as they took. Overwhelmed by an advantage of men, the Sicilian army eventually gained entrance to town, but there was indeed a high cost for such an entry. Once inside, the Sicilian cavalry simply ran down the rebel militia as they broke ranks.

The general of the rebels, a mere captain, reorganized his men. The broken militia ran to the town square while the rebel captain brought forward fresh men to blunt the Sicilian cavalry charge before all the broken men could be cut down or captured. A Muslim archer arrow did indeed strike a lucky hit on this rebel captain, but he pressed his men forward even as he falters from the arrow in his side.

General Alberto knew that the cavalry would be wasted if they continued with the charge. He ordered them to hold up so that the Sicilian militia companies could catch up with the rebels in the open. The cavalry then withdrew to flank the rebel from another avenue to the town square.

The rebels continued to fight in the open as the Sicilian cavalry moved into position. General Alberto gave the order to move forward and avoid the torn up company in the square. “Attack the archers! Move through the archers and crush the rebel militia facing our own men!Now...! Charge!

The end was an eerie quiet to a very bloody day. No rebels survived. Out of the five Sicilian units in the attack, half the militia spears in the 2 companies were lost as well as half the mounted sergeant cavalry regiment as well. Even the company of Muslim archers took some losses in the final rush as well as some very loyal bodyguards in his own heavy cavalry regiment.

General Alberto gave the order to sack the town. Not because of the much needed few hundred florins that would be gained for the king, but to punish those who were available. This sacking was Alberto's response for the loss of any chance to marry Princess Matilda. In the end,General Alberto gained command and a bit of Dread. He had lost his Princess Matilda. She never even really knew he existed.

Now,to rebuild the town for Sicily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HRE is not concerned aboout the rebellion.jpg  
    Last edited by NorseThing; January 27, 2019 at 07:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast