Thread: Elder Scrolls: Total War battle crash (Mac)

Default Elder Scrolls: Total War battle crash (Mac)

Hello everyone,

I've recently installed ES:TW along with its Unofficial Patch. The mod works very well on my Steam copy of the game, except for on rather major bug: I get a crash anytime I load a battle (be it in the campaign, quick battle, etc.).

I've already posted about this in the ES:TW subforum, and no one there seems to be able to help me. Since the Linux forum is the closest it gets to a Mac forum on this site, I'm posting this here.

Basically, my question is: has anyone else experienced immediate CTDs (error code 361) when loading a battle and while playing a mod? I'm trying to find out what crashes my game. Any feedback, from Linux or Mac players, is welcome.

Also, I'm already aware of this particular thread concerning EBII: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ot-for-battles

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Elder Scrolls: Total War battle crash (Mac)

The crash you describe happens already on the Steam Copy? Would that be a windows version?

I feel reminded of the problem caused by unpacking the game and not removing the geography files afterward from the main data folder.

Note: I have no real clue about Mac or Linux functionality, this is based on windows experience or reading related threads. I take it you had a look at this thread? Not sure if Elder Scrolls actually has custom settlements but it certainly has custom banners (EBII thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The crash you describe happens already on the Steam Copy? Would that be a windows version?

I feel reminded of the problem caused by unpacking the game and not removing the geography files afterward from the main data folder.

Note: I have no real clue about Mac or Linux functionality, this is based on windows experience or reading related threads. I take it you had a look at this thread? Not sure if Elder Scrolls actually has custom settlements but it certainly has custom banners (EBII thread).
    I have the Mac version from Steam. I also didn’t unpack the game, though maybe there’s something about the mod’s geography or terrain files. Any idea how to test this?

It is also definitely not a custom settlement issue (which I’m also aware of, having played TATW in the past). As forthe EB2 thread, I couldn’t find any .mesh files for ESTW, so I couldn’t test that fix out.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The geography file crash issue arises only if the game got unpacked - there is apparently a time stamp issue involved, hence the two files need removing from the default data folder after unpacking. The same files within mod folders are not affected by this.

The banner files usually have only the texture files modified, I wasn't sure if ESTW had custom banner models (the mesh files) as well. I am afraid this is the extent to which I am able to help.

So, version 2.0 of the Elder Scrolls Total War has been released, so I feel compelled to bump my original thread. Has any Mac user been able to run the mod? If so, how?